Sign in to follow this  
Ronnie

Sony to shut down PS3, Vita, PSP stores

Stores aren't shutting down, just new purchases. Everything else will still function.

• Like 1

I heard about this a few weeks ago but now it's official from Sony. They should be the first to tell people not the last but that's another story. I'm sure the stores themselves will shut down a bit later as what happened with the Wii e-shop some years ago.

I own all three systems mention so I need to look through the store and get what I can before it all closes. If any of those systems break down in the future there will be no way to play a lot of that stuff again. Hopefully Sony can move some of the more popular stuff over for it to work on the PS5 but I doubt it.

The Dutch support site says the shops close on July 2 for the PSP and PS3, and on August 27 for the Vita.

After that date you can still:

• redownload bought games
  • access purchased video and media content
  • exchange game and PS Plus vouchers
  • redownload PS Plus claimed games

You can't:

• Buy PS3/PSP/Vita digital content
  • Buy in-game purchases
  • Use credits in your PSN wallet

https://www.playstation.com/nl-nl/support/important-notice/

• Thanks 1

What I find odd is that the Vita is included. Sure, the PS3 and PSP are old, but doesn't the Vita share digital architecture with the PS4 for cross-play and such?

What I find odd is that the Vita is included. Sure, the PS3 and PSP are old, but doesn't the Vita share digital architecture with the PS4 for cross-play and such?
Yeah, it does feel odd to me. Vita never really "officially" died in my eyes because a successor never released. Seems odd to me that they're killing Vita shop support already.

Sony murdered the Vita when they chose to not use SD cards.

Posted (edited)

Really sad to see.  It was always inevitable, but still really sad.

Take the opportunity to stock up on those PS1/PS2 classics now while you still can! They represent some of the best bargains you can get in gaming today...

s-l1600.jpg

You see this game? It's just $5.99 on the PS3 PSN store, but costs almost $1,000 on eBay!

Don't forget that you can access the US & JPN stores on a UK console! You can get your hands on stuff like Chrono Cross, Einhainder and Thunderforce 5 for a mere fraction of their regular 2nd hand prices!

Edited by Dcubed
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
17 hours ago, Dcubed said:

Really sad to see.  It was always inevitable, but still really sad.

Take the opportunity to stock up on those PS1/PS2 classics now while you still can! They represent some of the best bargains you can get in gaming today...

s-l1600.jpg

You see this game? It's just $5.99 on the PS3 PSN store, but costs almost $1,000 on eBay!

Don't forget that you can access the US & JPN stores on a UK console! You can get your hands on stuff like Chrono Cross, Einhainder and Thunderforce 5 for a mere fraction of their regular 2nd hand prices!

I was actually gonna look to see if there were any more PS1 games I wanted to download to PS3/PSP before it's impossible to do so.. and I can't find them now 🙄

Would you have any links..?

Edited by nekunando

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, nekunando said:

I was actually gonna look to see if there were any more PS1 games I wanted to download to PS3/PSP before it's impossible to do so.. and I can't find them now 🙄

Would you have any links..?

I don’t have any sort of webstore link (don’t think that the webstore is even working for PS3/PSP anymore), but there’s a handy set of lists of PS1/PS2 PSN releases on Wikipedia that have proven accurate in my experience...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lists_of_PS_one_Classics

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_PlayStation_2_Classics_for_PlayStation_3

You can handily look at each region’s list of games on there too :) 

Edited by Dcubed

50 minutes ago, Dcubed said:

I don’t have any sort of webstore link (don’t think that the webstore is even working for PS3/PSP anymore), but there’s a handy set of lists of PS1/PS2 PSN releases on Wikipedia that have proven accurate in my experience...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lists_of_PS_one_Classics

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_PlayStation_2_Classics_for_PlayStation_3

You can handily look at each region’s list of games on there too :) 

I used to be able to search for PS1 games on PS Store on Google and be able to click through to a filtered selection of only PS1 games on the store and buy then easily there.

It doesn't seem to come up, now, and when I looked up PS1 or even specific games that I know we're available on PS3 store, it shows nothing :hmm:

3 hours ago, nekunando said:

I used to be able to search for PS1 games on PS Store on Google and be able to click through to a filtered selection of only PS1 games on the store and buy then easily there.

It doesn't seem to come up, now, and when I looked up PS1 or even specific games that I know we're available on PS3 store, it shows nothing :hmm:

Yeah, from what I’ve heard, the PS3 webstore is gone now.  Only way to purchase games is directly on the console itself; which is a... less than pleasant experience!

It’s crazy how this has all been handled. I think Sony should have given people far more notice, as well as keeping the web stores open for people to make their final purchases. Apparently both PS3 and Vita stores have been getting slammed with people trying to buy games, with both of them crashing under the strain.

This whole thing is just another example of me not liking the digital era and how disposable/throwaway gaming has become to many. I dread the day my Wii gives up the ghost and I lose all of my WiiWare and VC games that are on it. Sad times. :( 

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

If you have a PS3 and a Japanese PSN account, then I recommend getting the Sega Ages: Phantasy Star Complete Collection. All the mainline games include the English version and they have the optional enhancements of faster movement speed and increases Meseta and EXP.

1 hour ago, Hero-of-Time said:

It’s crazy how this has all been handled. I think Sony should have given people far more notice, as well as keeping the web stores open for people to make their final purchases. Apparently both PS3 and Vita stores have been getting slammed with people trying to buy games, with both of them crashing under the strain.

This whole thing is just another example of me not liking the digital era and how disposable/throwaway gaming has become to many. I dread the day my Wii gives up the ghost and I lose all of my WiiWare and VC games that are on it. Sad times. :( 

Apparently, if the CMOS battery on the PS4 dies and you replace it, it tries to connect to PSN to get the correct date. If can't then you can't even play physical games. So unless Sony Patches that out, not even physical games are 100% safe.

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Ike said:

If you have a PS3 and a Japanese PSN account, then I recommend getting the Sega Ages: Phantasy Star Complete Collection. All the mainline games include the English version and they have the optional enhancements of faster movement speed and increases Meseta and EXP.

Apparently, if the CMOS battery on the PS4 dies and you replace it, it tries to connect to PSN to get the correct date. If can't then you can't even play physical games. So unless Sony Patches that out, not even physical games are 100% safe.

Yeah, I was reading about that the other day. The whole thing is a complete mess. 

Not to mention that physical copies rarely have the complete game on them anymore anyway. Forget about picking up games 20 years later and being able to play them. The retro market will be none existent for pretty much anything after the PS3/Xbox 360 and pretty limited after the Wii/3DS, it'll basically be relying on homebrew and emulation.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Ike said:

Not to mention that physical copies rarely have the complete game on them anymore anyway. Forget about picking up games 20 years later and being able to play them. The retro market will be none existent for pretty much anything after the PS3/Xbox 360 and pretty limited after the Wii/3DS, it'll basically be relying on homebrew and emulation.

They talked about this on Sacred Symbols last week. The guys on there were saying how it’s becoming easier and easier to justify emulation/homebrew due to the lack of care by publishers these days. It’s clear that a lot of the big companies simply don’t care about game preservation and it’s going to be down to fan communities to keep older games available for people. Proper ownership of a finished game has been thrown completely out of the window this past generation. :( 

• Like 1

Sign in to follow this