NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
Rummy

Fun with Flags!

So....anybody else kinda confused by this whole mad flag push happening recently/at the moment? Was tempted to pop this elsewhere but thought I'd just topic it up.

How do people feel about this? Does anyone care? I'm not against it but I am mostly baffled about it, indifferent, but still nonetheless thinking about effects and impacts and what might subsequently manifest.

For a few references to varying flag stories atm;

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-56495032

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2021/mar/24/government-buildings-to-fly-union-jack-every-day-under-new-rules

https://www.theguardian.com/media/2021/mar/22/bbc-chief-told-to-use-more-than-one-union-jack-in-annual-report

I reaally feel like we surely have more important shit to be doing right now?? Am I crazy?

I can only presume that the company that replaces flags is a good buddy with a Tory.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

55 minutes ago, Cube said:

I can only presume that the company that replaces flags is a good buddy with a Tory.

brb just texting my mate david if he can get me a meeting with dishy rishi...

• Like 1

ugh flegggggs are a sensitive topic in NI lol hard pass.

they've better to be discussing right now imo

• Like 1

And here I thought this would be a thread about fun, useless flag facts. Like "The Dutch flag used to have an orange stripe, but got changed to red to save money" or "Nepal's flag isn't rectangular"

• Haha 1

Being proud of a flag is pathetic. Want something to be proud of? Accomplish something. 

20 minutes ago, Jonnas said:

And here I thought this would be a thread about fun, useless flag facts. Like "The Dutch flag used to have an orange stripe, but got changed to red to save money" or "Nepal's flag isn't rectangular"

The Welsh flag is officially the best flag in the world because it has a dragon!

• Like 3

19 hours ago, Jonnas said:

Hey man if you want to become it manifest it. No Vexillophobia here on reality. That, ofc, is based of the termage of Vexillology - the study of flags.

Did you know that there are supposedly just 3 'asymmetrical' flags?

There are Only 3 National Flags That Differ On Their Front and Reverse Sides

They are:

Moldova – Only the front displays the Coat of Arms

Paraguay – The reverse side contains the treasury seal

Saudi Arabia – has a sword and the Arabic inscription for “There is no God but Allah and Muhammad is the messenger of Allah.” Since the flag contains sacred writing, the reverse side of the flag is a duplicate of the front and two flags are usually sewn together

Did you also know of the mist expensive union flag ever? Clearly very off topic and irrelevant to the topic at hand about flags but its a little fun! The source itself is doubly fun!

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1221983/Only-surviving-Union-Jack-Battle-Trafalgar-sells-record-breaking-384-000.html

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Cube said:

The Welsh flag is officially the best flag in the world because it has a dragon!

Hahaha @Fierce_LiNk always says exactly the same thing. :laughing:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

13 hours ago, Eenuh said:

Haaahahah. It's completely true, though. Fuck your stars and stripes. Put mythical creatures onto these flags. First country to put a Gyrados on their flag wins a prize.

In general, I would put myself into the camp that feels that the UK flag has been hijacked by the right wing/far right. Unfortunately, I know one too many people who simultaneously post Facebook stuff such as "LOVE THE FLAG, LOVE OUR QUEEN!" along with Britain First/Anti EU/Anti-Immigrant/Xenophobic rhetoric. I feel that this group of people have taken the flag to mean Pro-Britain, anti-everything else, which doesn't align with my views. There's a large (and, imo, growing) section of our society who want to return to the days of the Empire and it's this crowd who are hoarding that flag and, imo, changing the ultimate meaning behind it, which I always felt was about unity and cooperation. 

It's amazing how you can walk through a street in France, Belgium or Italy and see their country's flags simultaneously next to the flag of the EU, showing that you can be part of a country and yet part of a greater group. Whereas, at least these days, I find the UK to be very inward looking. Having a Tory government (including a PM who has made...unsavoury comments in the past) displaying the flags in the background isn't doing much to change my views. In facts, it's more likely to reinforce it. 

On 25/03/2021 at 8:34 PM, Cube said:

14 hours ago, Eenuh said:

1 hour ago, Fierce_LiNk said:

Haaahahah. It's completely true, though. Fuck your stars and stripes. Put mythical creatures onto these flags. First country to put a Gyrados on their flag wins a prize.

Bhutan says "sod your dragon meekly seeing if it can ask a question"

flag-dragon-image-Bhutan-design.jpg

• Like 2

I would actually prefer more than two flags on the PM's stage.

One Union Jack flanked by the flags of all UK nations would be a far nicer image. More of a "unity despite our differences" vibe.

This past year and how each country has done their own things regarding Covid, the Union Jack feels more like another flag of England now, used in so many announcements that only affect England.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Rummy said:

Seems despite building a nice shiny blue screen flaggy press room...the govt has decided it is not so fun anymore 🤦🏾‍♂️

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/boris-johnson-studio-allegra-stratton-b1834700.html

Yep, sounds about right. Not even remotely surprised.

I've only just seen this thread for the first time. And yes, flags with Dragons are far and away, the best flags. Why have a boring cross pattern when you can have badass lizards?

The fact that Pokémon Sword/Shield was in a region based on the UK and didn't have a Welsh Dragon inspired Pokémon is the biggest of missed opportunities.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Glen-i said:

Yep, sounds about right. Not even remotely surprised.

I've only just seen this thread for the first time. And yes, flags with Dragons are far and away, the best flags. Why have a boring cross pattern when you can have badass lizards?

The fact that Pokémon Sword/Shield was in a region based on the UK and didn't have a Welsh Dragon inspired Pokémon is the biggest of missed opportunities.

If they went down that route, they could have had a Scottish Unicorn inspired Pokemon, an English Lion inspired Pokemon, and a Northern Irish.....er......nevermind.

• Haha 1

Sign in to follow this