NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
Ganepark32

Life is Strange: True Colours - Sept. 10th

It leaked ahead of the showcase but Square Enix have officially announced the latest entry in the Life is Strange franchise, Life is Strange: True Colours, which is being developed by Deck Nine.

Game is launching as a complete title on Sept. 10th, so no more waiting for episodes. And it'll be launching on PS5, PS4, Xbox One, Xbox Series S|X, PC and Stadia.

Alex Chen has long suppressed her 'curse': the supernatural ability to experience, absorb and manipulate the strong emotions of others, which she sees as blazing, colored auras.

When her brother dies in a so-called accident, Alex must embrace her volatile power to find the truth – and uncover the dark secrets buried by a small town

New power this time around centres on being able to feel and experience the emotions of those around the main character. Should be interesting to see how that unfolds.

Definitely a visual step up previous entries and nice to see it'll be a full release rather than episodic as that certainly took the wind out of LiS2's sails for me.

Edit: trailer for those wanting a non-Twitter version:

Ultimate edition of the game will include remasters of LiS1 and LiS: Before the Storm, with updated visuals. Both those will also be available separately when they release in Fall 2021.

Edit: The Life is Strange Remastered Collection looks like it'll only launch on PC, PS5, Xbox Series S|X and Stadia. Supposed the bump visually wouldn't be as pronounced on PS4 and Xbox One so understandable. The Ultimate Edition is also only available on those platforms.

The Ultimate Edition includes a bonus story called 'Wavelengths'. As per the PS Store, you'll play as Steph from LiS1:

WAVELENGTHS
Step into Steph's booth as the all-new radio show host for KRCT: Haven's best - and only - radio station. Over four seasons, discover more about Steph's past and her relationships as she makes her mark on the record store, uncovers its secrets – and decides her future.

LIVE ON AIR
You're the DJ: choose records for the playlist, 'ad lib' your way through local commercials, and help Steph compose an original song.

ROLL THE DICE
Give D20-powered advice to callers with problems both serious and mundane, GM a tabletop RPG, and reach out to reconnect with an old friend.

SMALL TOWN PRIDE
Swipe left or right on Steph's dating app matches, and join Steph as she reminisces about formative Prides past.

ALL-NEW SOUNDTRACK
Hits from Girl in Red, Alt-J, Portugal, Hayley Kiyoko, Maribou State, and more set the tone for Steph's journey.

Edited by Ganepark32

I should really catch up with Life is Strange. I loved the first game but never got around to p,aging any of the others.

Looks good. Will probably pre-order it (on Steam) despite not being able to play it at launch.

Not seeing any physical releases for PC though, what's up with that? And also a bit disappointing to not see a Switch release.

Deck Nine did a fantastic job with Before the Storm so I'm interested to see how they fare with a brand new cast. 

The remasters are a nice addition, gives me a good excuse to finally pick up physical copies. There were definitely some technical issues with the first entry so hopefully the technical upgrade give it a solid performance boost. 

I’ve got the second but haven’t started it yet, although really enjoyed the first season (along with Before the Storm).

I’m torn on them releasing it complete as opposed to periodic. I prefer being able to play the full game, but I hope they keep plenty of story twists & cliffhangers that the episodic format forced them to make.

The trailer kept on hammering home the “power of empathy”.... I’m sure it will get implemented well, but it’s hardly a soundbite that’s going to sell the game!

FOrQDmhX0AE7PBB?format=jpg&name=4096x409

I started and finished this earlier in the month (PS5 version). I was a huge fan of the first game but I feel the entries after it have failed the recapture that magic. The spinoff was decent, the sequel rubbish and sadly this continues the trend. I admit, it was a little better than the sequel, mainly due to this game not being full of teenage, douchebag characters, but it was still a disappointing experience.

I found the characters in the game to be likeable enough but the story itself seemed wafer thin and the powers that Alex had were pretty meh. I just get the feeling that a lot of the story in the game was forced and desperate, as if they were trying to recapture the big twists that the original game had. Sadly, a lot of the big plot points you can see coming from a mile off. Even if there was a little shock value, I wasn't that invested in what was going on and so it probably wouldn't have saved the game for me. To be honest I wouldn't mind if they just put the series on ice for a while and try to think of a way to freshen things up. Having a teenage protagonist with weird powers as your main character just doesn't cut it for me anymore with these games.

• Thanks 2

5 hours ago, Hero-of-Time said:

FOrQDmhX0AE7PBB?format=jpg&name=4096x409

I started and finished this earlier in the month (PS5 version). I was a huge fan of the first game but I feel the entries after it have failed the recapture that magic. The spinoff was decent, the sequel rubbish and sadly this continues the trend. I admit, it was a little better than the sequel, mainly due to this game not being full of teenage, douchebag characters, but it was still a disappointing experience.

I found the characters in the game to be likeable enough but the story itself seemed wafer thin and the powers that Alex had were pretty meh. I just get the feeling that a lot of the story in the game was forced and desperate, as if they were trying to recapture the big twists that the original game had. Sadly, a lot of the big plot points you can see coming from a mile off. Even if there was a little shock value, I wasn't that invested in what was going on and so it probably wouldn't have saved the game for me. To be honest I wouldn't mind if they just put the series on ice for a while and try to think of a way to freshen things up. Having a teenage protagonist with weird powers as your main character just doesn't cut it for me anymore with these games.

I agree with you on this.  Yes, the characters were likeable.  I came straight into this after LiSII, which in itself was ok at best.  Wasn't a huge fan of how they did the 2nd game, but still.  This is about the 3rd one.

Story-wise, it was not that bad.  Compared to the previous games, it felt weak in places

Spoiler

Chapter 3, the one where you play that role playing adventure, felt waaay too short.  Felt like it should have been a part of the whole chapter, not the bulk of it.  As much of a welcome break from the story, it needed more to it.

The story itself felt rushed overall, sort of like they needed more time in the oven per say.

It had some nice nods to the previous entries in the franchise, if just through Alex's clothing available on storefronts.  There's more nods about, which I liked.

The previous game had plenty of nods to LiS too as you'd expect

Totally agree with you about the 3rd chapter. To be honest I found the whole game to be quite short in comparison to the others. I think I clocked it in around 6-7 hours and I'm sure the other games were around the 10+ mark.

Sign in to follow this