NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
Julius

E3 2021: Digital Edition, TGA's 2021 & other 2021 events

26 minutes ago, Happenstance said:

I guess the question is how do you judge the category. Would enjoying the story and RPG-aspects of the game make it a good RPG even if it did launch broken?

I mean, apparently it's still pretty broken, which is why I'm still waiting to play it :p

I get what you mean though, and I think that's a fair point that if the RPG aspects are up to snuff, it could deserve a nomination, in spite of the myriad of other problems it could potentially have. If anything though, I think it might just speak to how light the last year has been for RPG's, because I've just looked up a list of them for 2021, and it isn't particularly long! 

1 hour ago, Julius said:

I mean, apparently it's still pretty broken, which is why I'm still waiting to play it :p

I get what you mean though, and I think that's a fair point that if the RPG aspects are up to snuff, it could deserve a nomination, in spite of the myriad of other problems it could potentially have. If anything though, I think it might just speak to how light the last year has been for RPG's, because I've just looked up a list of them for 2021, and it isn't particularly long! 

Yeah playing it on the PC I didn't get as many issues as console players. Wonder how much that factors into it as well.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Julius said:

If anything though, I think it might just speak to how light the last year has been for RPG's, because I've just looked up a list of them for 2021, and it isn't particularly long! 

That would explain why SMTV is there, despite it only being out a week.

No-one can have a proper opinion of a lengthy RPG like that so soon!

The cynic in me thinks it was only picked because Persona 5 made that series (and adjacent ones) popular.

Bravely Default II was robbed in this category.

Edited by Glen-i

10 hours ago, Glen-i said:

That would explain why SMTV is there, despite it only being out a week.

No-one can have a proper opinion of a lengthy RPG like that so soon!

The cynic in me thinks it was only picked because Persona 5 made that series (and adjacent ones) popular.

Bravely Default II was robbed in this category.

Bravely Default 2 was ineligible due to the art style alone, unfortunately.

6 minutes ago, Dcubed said:

Bravely Default 2 was ineligible due to the art style alone, unfortunately.

Sadly true. Still got robbed though.

8 minutes ago, Dcubed said:

Looks like the TGA GOTY winner just leaked...

Screenshot_20211124-040058_Opera.jpg

lol

Sony obviously got their check cleared early :laughing:

Eh, looks like a bug, especially considering the voting process isn't concluded I don't think? It's still hilarious either way though :laughing:

I enjoyed Rift Apart much more than R&C 2016, and besides having only played half of It Takes Two, I can't really comment on the others. I'd be very surprised if Rift Apart won though, I just don't think the energy or excitement is really there for it to win GOTY (I think most are still in shock that Returnal wasn't nominated - don't worry @drahkon, my copy arrived today, so I'll probably be playing that after Pokémon! :p), not to mention most won't have played the game anyways seeing as PS5 stock shortages are still a thing, so I don't think the votes would be there anyways. That's not to say I didn't have fun with it, but...GOTY? I'm not sure. 

From the outside looking in, based on industry buzz (so, not at all what the general audience is going to vote for), I imagine it would be between Psychonauts 2, It Takes Two, and Metroid Dread. Deathloop winning would be great for Arkane, but that game just seemed to be forgotten so quickly, and almost everyone I've listened to or watched talk about Resident Evil Village over the last year doesn't think it deserves to be on this list. That being said, it's probably sold the most copies of the lot, so I have no idea ::shrug:

3 minutes ago, Julius said:

I think most are still in shock that Returnal wasn't nominated

I never was. :p
Clearly Returnal is the GOTY, but given its genre, there was no chance for a nomination ::shrug: 

5 minutes ago, Julius said:

my copy arrived today, so I'll probably be playing that after Pokémon!

Good. Can't wait to read your impressions :) 

• Like 1

I would laugh so hard if Ratchet ends up winning. I still can't believe it got nominated.

12 minutes ago, drahkon said:

but given its genre, there was no chance for a nomination

A roguelike, third person shooter/adventure game? The latter two types of games are constantly getting nominated and just last year Hades got a nomination, so yeah.

Forza Horizon 5, the best reviewed game of the year you could say didn't get a nom because of it's genre. Not Returnal.

Edited by Ronnie

Forza Horizon 5 didn't get nominated because the date for the full game of the year category ended earlier than the other categories.

It doesn't deserve a nomination in the slightest, anyway, it's just a decent game, nothing more, with some pretty horrible progression because of "live service" nonsense (personally, I don't think "live service" games should be eligible for awards until after a year anyway, as it needs to show how it's handling that element of the game).

10 minutes ago, Cube said:

Forza Horizon 5 didn't get nominated because the date for the full game of the year category ended earlier than the other categories.

It doesn't deserve a nomination in the slightest, anyway, it's just a decent game, nothing more, with some pretty horrible progression because of "live service" nonsense (personally, I don't think "live service" games should be eligible for awards until after a year anyway, as it needs to show how it's handling that element of the game).

Fair enough on why it didn’t get nom’d, I hadn’t realised that. 

Putting aside personal opinions on the game for a second though, it’s the best reviewed game of the year by far. All the nominees are at 84-88 on MC, Forza is 92. I suppose it’ll be up for next year’s awards. 

So, anyone else staying up to check out The Game Awards tonight? I've just got up from a nap and I'm a little groggy, but raring to go :D there were some definite lulls at previous TGA's so I'm seriously debating whether to catch the Easy Allies stream, if anything just to not fall asleep at those times. Because we all know they're coming. 

My expectations are...tempered. On the whole I think it's been a really shoddy year for press conferences across the board, as I'm sure most would agree, especially with E3 being as rough as it was - the equivalent of trying to spread a knife's worth of butter over an entire loaf of bread - and more and more companies wanting to cut out their own space for digital events. It's kind of reminded me that I guess not every company is on the pulse when it comes to knowing what their audience wants, because I don't think anyone wanted what we got in the summer, which was the complete opposite problem to what we had last summer. 

This all being said though, Geoff has bought a bit of my hype moving forwards with how he got the Elden Ring trailer for Summer Game Fest's Kickoff event - considering that the game first showed up in an Xbox event at E3, that can't have been an easy get! 

Don't want to be exhaustive, but there are a few games I really want to see here, and one that I almost expect. I know there are a lot of rumours going around (some which just don't seem right, others which seem very legitimate thanks to the GeForce leak), but none I've seen have mentioned what I really want to see. Also not going to mention anything I think is too obvious (like a new Elden Ring trailer - not a guarantee, but I think there's a high chance it's here). 

• Starfield - it's time. We're less than a year out from it's scheduled release, and all we've had so far is concept art, glimpses of in-engine footage, and some pieces of music. Xbox have a history of showing things off at The Game Awards, like Perfect Dark last year or Senua's Saga: Hellblade II the year before along with the unveiling of the Series X, and honestly alongside Elder Scrolls VI this is by far the title that I think will see people buying into the Xbox ecosystem, so there's a lot riding on it. I think it's about time we start to get some idea of what this game is going to be like outside of what Todd Howard says in interviews, so a gameplay trailer would be great I think (with a Fallout 4 styled blowout at E3 next year). I actually feel this one's fairly realistic, I'd say a solid 75% chance. 
  • Playdead's next game - so I know Somerville from Jumpship and Dino Patti is something we've seen a bit of, and is probably the more realistic title to expect to see here, but I really think it's time we see Playdead's title. It's been teased a bit with some concept art of a sci-fi world, there are rumours it might be open world to some extent, it's their first dive into 3D gameplay, and they have absolutely carved a niche out for themselves as one of the premier indie studios. Limbo released in 2010, Inside released in 2016, but going off an update the other day with a bit more concept art, it doesn't seem like their next game will make 2022, so any showing here I think could be to get their name back out there and maybe have a drive to expand their workforce for the next year or two as this game gets closer to release. I'd put this at a 50% chance. 
  • Fumito Ueda's next game / genDesign's first game - I think we've had glimpses at three separate pieces of concept art on their website throughout the last year or two, and as far as I'm aware, that's pretty much been it besides the announcement that Epic Games would be publishing Ueda's next title. That's the biggest reason I think it could turn up here, because Epic Games absolutely want to show off what I'd say is the most exciting title they've gone on their publishing slate, and I think anything by Ueda absolutely would be worthy of showing up at The Game Awards - he deserves that kind of attention for his games. It was also Ico's 20th anniversary the other day, so I'm imagining a little anniversary montage for his previous works (I can't imagine Sony not giving permission for him to do this, especially after they were allowed to share some early 1998 footage of Ico for the anniversary) before a bit of a tease of their next game. My gut says it's a 2023 title, but that's based on very little evidence. I'd put this turning up at 25%. 
  • Final Fantasy XVI - 2021 ends in just over 3 weeks, and we still haven't got the 2021 update we were told to expect in the XVI update we got towards the end of last year. People are whispering about one last PlayStation event to round out the year where this could turn up, but with that being heavily based on rumours, this is currently the only show in this last stretch of the year that I'd expect it to turn up at. Worth remembering, too, that Yoshi-P did his due diligence ahead of Tokyo Game Show to state that they had plans for something there but it just wouldn't be ready in time, and Creative Business Unit III has been very forthcoming from what I've seen with XIV over the years, so I'll be surprised if we don't see it in some capacity before the year ends seeing as they haven't said to not expect it just yet. Unfortunately, I don't think it's that likely simply because it's a PlayStation console exclusive, and I can see them wanting to save it for their own show. I'm putting this down regrettably as a 10% chance of being here. 

Other than that? I don't dare to predict what Nintendo turn up with. It could be Breath of the Wild's sequel with their history of showing the first game off at The Game Awards, it could be Metroid Prime Trilogy remastered...or it could be something much smaller, like a Samus Returns port. 

Either way, I'm excited - bit over an hour to go! :D

• Like 1

I’m excited by it, although expect the Nintendo-relayed announcements to be a little thin on the ground (prove me wrong Nintendo!).

I was planning to watch it, but at 1am and likely to last a few hours means I may catch the beginning, but will check back in the morning to see what I missed.

I just don’t know what will be revealed, apart from the new Sonic game and the trailer for the 2nd movie. These could look great, they could look naff… this is Sonic after all!

Reggie’s involved so I’d love him to announce something exciting (imagine the hype of him finally announcing a Mother game!), but in reality with his position I can’t see him revealing anything major.

• Like 1

Every year I tell myself I'm not going to stay up to watch it but every year, without fail, I end up enduring it anyway. 

Don't really have much of a stake in the awards, I would like to see Dread take the top prize and Erika Mori take Best Performance but otherwise I'm not fussed. 

In terms of predictions I think we'll get a shadow drop of Outer Wilds on Switch, it's due out sometime this month after a delay so it would be a great time to release it. A reveal of Ueda's new game would be great @Julius, it's been 5 years now since The Last Guardian released so it's overdue a reveal, heck I'd even take a short teaser. 

Of course I would love for BOTW 2 to get a trailer and a reveal of its actual title but given Nintendo's recent track record with TGA's I won't hold my breath for it. Some 'leakers' have suggested that we might see Monolithsoft's new title though so Nintendo might have a presence after all...

• Like 1

Didn't call out any of the companies in particular (Activision, Ubisoft, et al), but fair play to Keighley for his impassioned speech on how harassment, predatory actions, and other disgusting things we've heard about happening way too much and in an increasing manner has no place in gaming. He got a lot of flak recently for not speaking up, but this is as close as he can get I guess without cutting ties. 

Now here we go :D

Edited by Julius

It must be super excruciating to attend the show in person, 90% of the presentation is pre-recorded trailers 

Star Wars: Eclipse looked good but it being made by Quantic Dream certainly made me less interested in it

3 minutes ago, killthenet said:

It must be super excruciating to attend the show in person, 90% of the presentation is pre-recorded trailers 

Star Wars: Eclipse looked good but it being made by Quantic Dream certainly made me less interested in it

Yeah, get what you mean about the trailers. I think it's much more about the reactions and networking opportunities for those attending. 

As for Eclipse, I'm hyped as hell because Star Wars, but some of the massive open landscapes they showed seemed far beyond the scope of any of their previous games. So, I'm nervous! 

Also Alan Wake II published by Epic, so give us Ueda's game Geoff damn it! 

Most trailers were just in incredibly bland, either being vague CGI trailers or "gameplay" footage with strange camera angles and cuts every three seconds. 

A few particular ones to mention

- Sonic 2 Film trailer: Shockingly, the best trailer of the lot. And it's not even for a video game. Looks like a lot of fun.

- Sonic Frontiers: Even though it's not a gameplay trailer and shows no gameplay, it reflected the game itself quite well. The map shown looks like the in-game map and gives a good impression of the scope. It does look more fantasy and less Sonic though (no obvious loops and stuff).

- Star Trek Resurgence. A non-mobile Star Trek game. Unfortunately it looks rather dull and clunky. It's made by ex-Telltale devs, whose games I haven't enjoyed since Back to the Future, so that explains a lot.

Good show overall, lots of new announcements, lots of trailers. Pace was pretty good.

Star Wars Eclipse obviously the highlight for me, but otherwise I thought Tunic looked absolutely INCREDIBLE, same with Have a Nice Death. 

Nice to see more of Somerville. Tchia, a cross between Mario Odyssey and BOTW, yes please. If Planet of Lana is Inside-like, sign me up, looks fantastic. Star Trek Resurgence looks visually pretty terrible, but it might be good. Rumbleverse had a fun trailer, intrigued by that one.

Just a shame we had that attention seeking idiot Josef Fares win GOTY.

2 hours ago, Ronnie said:

Just a shame we had that attention seeking idiot Josef Fares win GOTY.

The only attention seeking idiot there was the person hosting awards.

• Like 2

What was the game Geoff wanted to show off after 2.5 years that wasn't BotW2?

Edited by MindFreak

From what I can tell, the world premieres were:

Star Wars: Eclipse, Star Trek: Resurgence, Dune: Spice Wars, The Expanse: A Telltale Game, Warhammer 40k: SPACE MARINE 2 and Slitterhead (well, at least one game isn't a licenced sci-fi tie in)

2 hours ago, Ike said:

Alan Wake 2 was as well, wasn't it?

We got a trailer, but the game has been confirmed for a while. 

Sign in to follow this