NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
Julius

E3 2021: Digital Edition, TGA's 2021 & other 2021 events

22 minutes ago, Julius said:

At least we've got Devolver to save the opening day in around 20 minutes!

I tend to dislike their conferences. They too hard to be funny and I don’t appreciate the copious amounts of bad language they use.

1 minute ago, Hero-of-Time said:

I tend to dislike their conferences. They too hard to be funny and I don’t appreciate the copious amounts of bad language they use.

I think it's a nice way to break things up at least, most of the other conferences are a bit too serious or a bit too bland. 

I do agree with you on the language though. If you do want to swear during a comedic bit, swearing in scarcity is always going to be my preference. I've laughed a lot more being caught off guard by a singular use of bad language rather than F'ing until I start questioning how to spell the word being repeated non-stop! 

5 minutes ago, Hero-of-Time said:

I don’t appreciate the copious amounts of bad language they use.

Couldn't resist :D

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, drahkon said:

Couldn't resist :D

Been a while since you quoted that movie. I’ve still not watched it. :D 

I'm gonna laugh every time that "Premium Purchase" voice clip plays, aren't I?

Definitely a swipe at Microsoft's "World Premiere"

• Thanks 1

YES, after Ghost of Tsushima last year we absolutely need to see more samurai games! Very excited for Trek to Yomi :bouncy:

Did...did they just give Vivi a gun? What's with all of these Black Mages packing all of a sudden? 

2 minutes ago, Glen-i said:

I'm gonna laugh every time that "Premium Purchase" voice clip plays, aren't I?

Definitely a swipe at Microsoft's "World Premiere"

Same :D

And yeah, it's by far the most annoying part of Xbox and Keighley's presentations. Just play the damn trailers! 

1 minute ago, Hero-of-Time said:

Been a while since you quoted that movie. I’ve still not watched it. :D 

tenor.gif

• Haha 1

So Devolver's website apparently had that actual single VHS tape of the presentation for sale on their site.

A thousand dollars. It's already sold out.

• Haha 1

First class material as always from Devolver.

I oddly feel really in the mood for hotdogs now though for some reason...

Swapped over to Easy Allies to watch the Gearbox stuff and Michael Huber's eyes are rolling into the back of his skull and there's a lot of very audible sighing going on. If you've lost the Being of Hype himself, you're not doing a good job. 

And I can confirm, it is not good. At all. 

If anyone actually wants to buy Demon Throttle the Switch game which is physical only, you can get it on Special Reserve Games website, but there is a queue system in place to even get on the website, current estimated wait time is approximately 1-2 hours. (variable) although, it's currently displaying 39 minutes.

Going by previous releases from this retailer, the price will probably be around £30... which for what looks like, what would normally be a relatively small digital game... is potentially a bit excessive, though I'm in the queue now, so I'll let you know what the actual price is in around half an hour, in case anyone is interested.

I'm not sure if I'll actually be buying it, I just clicked on the link as I've bought games from Special Reserve Games before, though I'm not as into physical Switch games, or games in general as I once was... also, forget what I said about the wait time, the website just loaded, and sure enough, it's around £30.

- - - - -

As for the show... it's a standard Devolver Digital press conference... whatever qualifies as 'standard' for them anyway, it played exactly to expectations... ;)

...though so did the Ubisoft conference, unsurprisingly. :p (Mario + Rabbids sequel... fantastic news for fans of the original, but other than that?) ::shrug:

Next up, Xbox and Bethesda Showcase, tomorrow at 6pm (UK time)

Get ready for Gears, Halo, Forza, Skyrim 4K, Perfect Dark, and maybe one or two interesting announcements?

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, LazyBoy said:

Who I’m kidding, it’s only BG&E2 I give a shit about and that ain’t happening.

It always felt waaaay too ambitious, I wouldn't be surprised if it's in development hell and needs serious scaling back to ever see the light of day.

Ubisoft Forward was a bit of a snore fest, if I'm being totally honest, and I was surprised by how few games we saw given that it ran for over an hour (and had a pre-show!). We finally got to see Rainbow Six Extraction, we got a weird look at Rockstar Plus, then it felt like a lot of updates on stuff we already knew about or updates for existing games: Riders Republic, Rainbow Six Siege, Valhalla, and Far Cry 6, amongst others. 

That Far Cry 6 showing was really weak - let's give you a new story trailer, show no new gameplay, and then tell you what's in the season pass? Yikes. Also, that Season Pass (playing from the perspective of the bad guys) I can tell is going to be bad news, I think back to what I heard about 5's story and villain, and I really don't think it's worth the effort to tell the story of a character like that. 

Mario + Rabbids Sparks of Hope looked good, happy for fans of the first game with that one, bit of a shame it's 2022, but by all means let it cook. Terrible game title though. 

And hey, that Avatar game that's been in the works forever actually exists, which is a nice surprise. Have no idea what it's going to be about, what it plays like, or anything else you'd expect from a video game, so it didn't exactly get me excited. But it's nice to know it's on its way. 

My Totally Official Score: 6.0/10

Devolver MaxPass+ was a fun time, quite liked the opening bit, loved the running "Premium Purchase" gag, but it felt like it ended rather suddenly, and the bits they had during the show felt like it was getting in the way of seeing the games more than anything else. 

Which is a shame, because outside of the indie events we've had so far (I still haven't gone back to watch Day of the Devs or Tribeca!), I think this was the strongest showing all around in terms of the games that they had. Trek to Yomi, that side-scrolling samurai game, I am 1000% in for, it looks gorgeous and right up my alley. Death's Door looks fantastic after we got that first look the other day, happy to see it dated, and will keep it at the back of my mind for whenever I get a Series X. Inscryption with its PS1-looking horror vibes definitely kept me watching, and Demon Throttle looked cool, don't think going physical-only is the way to go for that game though. 

Most consistent showing of games, some funny bits, but I felt like it didn't need to be as long as it was. Still the best show of the last few days, though, and set the benchmark for me. 

My Totally Official Score: 7.0/10

So I'm not even sure why I watched the Gearbox E3 Showcase, but I did, and yes, I regret it. I now have a new worst games showcase after this. 

Randy Pitchford very awkwardly speaking with the cast of the film for way too long. Showing the trailer we saw at SGF Kickoff for Wonderlands again. Running the same snippet to announce Homeworld 3 not once, not twice, but three times in the same show, just with a different fact attached to it about the original game. Randy Pitchford returning and me wanting to set my face on fire at that point.

Only things I took away were that Tribes of Midgard looks like a fun co-op time (but we already knew about it), Godfall is getting a PS4 version, and Gearbox had no reason to be here. At all. 

My Totally Official Score: 3.0/10

58 minutes ago, S.C.G said:

Next up, Xbox and Bethesda Showcase, tomorrow at 6pm (UK time)

Get ready for Gears, Halo, Forza, Skyrim 4K, Perfect Dark, and maybe one or two interesting announcements?

I'm 99.999999% sure we're getting a new trailer and potentially some gameplay for Bethesda's Starfield tomorrow, and probably a vague "It's coming in 2022" sort of deal. I have very little interest in their existing big RPG IP's, but there's something about this which has really grabbed me, so I hope it lives up to the hype.

They've bought enough studios to fill up 90 minutes at least, and with no PlayStation at E3, they should be where third parties either not at E3 or on deals with PlayStation gravitate towards, so I'm pretty optimistic on Xbox tomorrow. It feels like the only place this E3 where we could see Playdead's or genDESIGN's (Fumito Ueda's new studio) next games turn up, both of which I am very excited for, so fingers crossed for those. 

But I swear if Phil opens up by saying "This is our biggest show, we have X number of games, X number of world premieres" I'm going to slam my head against a table. 

And while I'm optimistic on Xbox, Square Enix is the show which could make or break this E3 for me, and it follows around 45 minutes after Xbox's event ends. Regardless of how well Nintendo does on Tuesday, we've yet to have a great major show this E3 (including Summer Game Fest). One of Xbox or S-E has to knock it out of the park, and even as someone who wants Xbox to do well and is optimistic about them tomorrow, my hopes are completely pinned on Square Enix.

We know we're getting Babylon's Fall and that new Eidos Montréal game there, the lack of a mention of Final Fantasy XVI in their press release for this has me pretty concerned, there's that rumoured other Final Fantasy game, and it's Final Fantasy's 35th Anniversary next year, so ports or remakes or something for the older games would be nice. Give me just one of those three Final Fantasy things and I'll be happy, but give me more than one and I'll be over the moon. 

High hopes for tomorrow, but it's tough to not be cautious after the last few days. I think the big thing missing from this E3 is just the lack of impressions, meaning there's just this void between shows. I know some companies have let press see or play things to preview their games, but it's few and far between. So let's see some demos drop tomorrow. I could see Xbox doing it, but come on Square Enix, pull that trigger too! 

Edited by Julius
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

49 minutes ago, Ronnie said:

It always felt waaaay too ambitious, I wouldn't be surprised if it's in development hell and needs serious scaling back to ever see the light of day.

Plus it seems to contain nothing that people loved the first game for.

A BG&E sequel sounds amazing. An unrelated game set in the same universe that's an online co-op looter shooter does not.

Hopefully a few failures with that style of game (like Anthem and Avengers) leads to a re-evaluation of what the game should be.

• Thanks 1

Drat, not really following much other than Nintendo at E3 but I saw mentions of Avatar game in here and thought it was for Avatar: The Last Airbender, it’s just the blue aliens who stole the name 😂 

Mario + Rabbids looks gorgeous I’ll wait though as I never really got too into the first even though I liked it. I just couldn’t get through it after about the half way point. 

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Happenstance said:

Starfield release date has leaked

Starfield (Reveal hidden contents)

Well damn, Microsoft really can't catch a break, can they? Not too long before so hopefully still isn't brushed aside by most as old news, but leaks like these - just before the event! - really blow. Thankfully it's a date that wasn't totally unexpected, so not too big a deal. 

Still hopefully have some cool Infinite news up their sleeves (a demo maybe?), but Starfield feels like the other game that they would probably open or close their show with tonight. That's the main reason I think it blows. 

Either way, starts in less than 10, hope it's a good one! :peace:

Edited by Julius

4 minutes ago, Julius said:

Well damn, Microsoft really can't catch a break, can they? Not too long before so hopefully still isn't brushed aside by most as old news, but leaks like these - just before the event! - really blow. 

Still hopefully have some cool Infinite news up their sleeves (a demo maybe?), but Starfield feels like the other game that they would probably open or close their show with tonight. 

Either way, starts in less than 10, hope it's a good one! :peace:

Could be worse, usually their whole conference gets leaked.

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Hero-of-Time said:

Who says it hasn't and this is it? 😜

• Haha 2

3 minutes ago, Hero-of-Time said:

Oh yeah, for sure. 

Ubisoft were so desperate for a leak this year that Nintendo did it for them :laughing:

• Haha 2

Todd coming out first was...unexpected. 

Opening with Starfield means we can lock Halo in to finish the show, date + demo (today???) I'm guessing. 

Considering how long it’s been in development for, that was a shoddy trailer. 

Edited by Hero-of-Time

Sign in to follow this