NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
Julius

E3 2021: Digital Edition, TGA's 2021 & other 2021 events

I love Goldblum, but I was really hoping the move to streaming would be the death  of celeb appearances at these things. Always cringe, never adds anything.

It's Geoff, what do you expect? The Summer Games Fest isn't about games, it's about his egotistical trip to make himself the "face" of gaming news, stealing the work done by E3 organisers and passing it off as his own, while pretending that E3 doesn't exist and that it isn't the reason why there's so much gaming news at this time of the year.

He could have done a proper celebration, crediting E3 and celebrating its legacy. Instead, he's trying to overwrite it with his Summer Games Coup.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

I thought he and others (Sony as another example) had big problems with the ESA/E3. Not sure ego has anything to do with it, I always got the impression it was all about the games with him.

Edited by Ronnie

Yeah Geoff straddles a line for me. He's definitely got that need to make it more Hollywood that it needs to be. However seeing him in that Noclip Doc about half-life you can definitely see his passion shine through. 

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, LazyBoy said:

Yeah Geoff straddles a line for me. He's definitely got that need to make it more Hollywood that it needs to be. 

I think it comes from a well-meaning place.

He's a respected journalist, a hype man of sorts for the entire industry, and in the case of The Game Awards, wants to see games recognised for the distinct art form that they are - and their creators too. I think back to his Ratchet & Clank: Rift Apart interview from last year's Opening Night Live for Gamescom and you can see him getting excited while still pushing for more than he knows he should, and I think it's commendable what he does for the industry as a whole. The Game Awards continues to get bigger and bigger every year, he consistently lands some massive reveals, my only real issue is that - as a hype man and organiser with high standing in the community - he ends up hyping all events up equally, to the point that you seriously can't know what to expect. 

As for E3, let's not forget that Geoff walked last year mainly because of the details of many planned attendees getting leaked, when many were getting up in arms over the show as it was. Summer Game Fest from the beginning was supposed to be a way to keep track of what was going on in traditionally the biggest time of the year for games media, and highlighting other announcements (such as Unreal Engine 5, Crash Bandicoot 4, etc., last year). I think it's a bit sneaky to mention E3 in the Summer Game Fest calendar, but it's kind of the original point of it being a hub for these events, and I can't blame him for doing it really. 

• Like 1

Well that didn't take long!

https://www.resetera.com/threads/e3s-media-portal-is-a-mess-this-year.438145/

The ESA fucked up and leaked everyone's personal info... AGAIN!!!

Like... how!? How can you keep making the same fucking mistake over and over again!?!?

Also... to make things even worse and even more unprofessional... Some fuckwad at the ESA thought that it'd be a swell idea to introduce quests and achievements on the bloody press page!!!

Jesus fucking wept! Just shut the whole fucking thing down :shakehead

Edited by Dcubed
  • Haha 2

Confirmed times for both the PC Gaming Show and Future Games Show ahead of Sunday 13th, which are forming a double-hitter. The bad news is that despite Monday being WIDE OPEN, the PC Gaming Show starts at 22:30 BST, and the Future Games Show at 00:00 BST (yeah, midnight, for some reason). 

Gearbox are having their showcase at 22:00 BST on Saturday 12th, which follows Devolver Digital's event at 21:30 BST (which I somehow missed them announcing before?), which in turn seems to be directly following Ubisoft Forward, which we already knew started at 20:00 BST - so a solid two and a half hours there. If I'm remembering right Randy Pitchford has something big to announce, but nice to see Gearbox bring his magic back up :p 

19 minutes ago, Dcubed said:

Like... how!? How can you keep making the same fucking mistake over and over again!?!?

Also... to make things even worse and even more unprofessional... Some fuckwad at the ESA thought that it'd be a swell idea to introduce quests and achievements on the bloody press page!!!

Jesus fucking wept! :shakehead

Peek GIFs - Get the best GIF on GIPHY

Does anyone else hear Geoff Keighley's boss music? 

• Haha 1

19 minutes ago, Julius said:

Peek GIFs - Get the best GIF on GIPHY

Does anyone else hear Geoff Keighley's boss music? 

Edited by Dcubed
  • Haha 2

3 hours ago, Dcubed said:

That's not what happened. 

One guy put up too much personal info on a publicly searchable site.

Eurogamer have got a pretty good schedule up with all the events detailed and the UK & EU times:

Clicky

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, LazyBoy said:

Eurogamer have got a pretty good schedule up with all the events detailed and the UK & EU times:

Clicky

Thanks!

I've covered the major ones in the first post just for reference (well, and LRG, just because I know some here will probably be interested in checking that out), but there are a whole lot of smaller events going on too. 

Still can't believe the time that the PC Gaming Show and Future Games Show are being held at compared to all of the others ::shrug: but at least it's not at the time some of the PlayStation conferences were held in the past! 

16 hours ago, Dcubed said:

Like... how!? How can you keep making the same fucking mistake over and over again!?!?:shakehead

On top of what @Ronnie said, this wasn't related to any fields related to any personal information. No address, phone number or email fields are visible to the public, 

The journalist whose details were found decided to put all his personal information in a publicly "About Me" segment. N-Europe has an "About Me" section like this for users, it's a pretty standard thing. 

So it's just user error. 

(Amusingly, I seem to have already blocked that Kirk McKeand for misinformation/clickbait).

• Thanks 1

Capcom Showcase at 22:30 BST on Monday 14th:

Filling up nicely. Still no word on Bandai Namco's presence though...

Edited by Julius

So that Summer Game Fest thingy is in an hour and a half...
Worth a watch, or just read up on the news after the show?

10 minutes ago, drahkon said:

Honestly, it's hard to tell with Geoff. 

I thought that One Night Live last year at Gamescom was one of the worst shows I've seen put together in a while, but on the other hand, he knows he basically the big opening act for E3 this year (and by his own choice). PlayStation don't have their next event announced yet, so we could see something here (even if it's just an update on something we're already waiting on, like Kena, or a remind that R&C is out tomorrow), if Kojima is going to show anything this weekend I feel it'd be here rather than anywhere else (which I'm not optimistic about), and it's two years to the day that Elden Ring was officially announced; Geoff did get that original Sekiro tease at The Game Awards, so it's not like From Software are strangers to showing big things off at his shows. 

I'll be tuning in at least, kicks off my time off from work and gets me in the mood for a hopefully awesome E3 weekend! :peace:

• Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, drahkon said:

I’m on decorating at the moment and so I’ll just have it playing in the background. I’m not expecting much from the show.

• Thanks 1

Hm, maybe I'll have it playing in the background, too while reading manga :D

Metal Slug Tactics is a genius idea. Shame I’ll never get to play it if it stays only on PC. :( 

• Like 1

Just now, Hero-of-Time said:

Metal Slug Tactics is a genius idea. Shame I’ll never get to play it if it stays only on PC. :( 

The pixel art and animation in that trailer was great! Feels at the very least like it's destined for Switch (though hopefully it eventually comes to everything). 

Also, love how Keighley can't go many events without Kojima :laughing:

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Julius said:

The pixel art and animation in that trailer was great! Feels at the very least like it's destined for Switch (though hopefully it eventually comes to everything). 

Also, love how Keighley can't go many events without Kojima :laughing:

It would be great on Switch, especially with Nintendo showing no interest in giving us Advance Wars.

Kojima saying "one more thing" gave me a heart attack. 

I haven't played Death Stranding but holy f*** this feels like a Metal Gear tease all over. 

Just a PS5 upgrade right? Right?! 

Oh wow a Director's Cut, okay :D

Edited by Julius

Well...time for me to somehow get a copy of Death Stranding to get the Platinum in anticipation of the Director's Cut :D

Sign in to follow this