NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
Julius

E3 2021: Digital Edition, TGA's 2021 & other 2021 events

Yeah, there ought to be a lot on MS' plate this go around.  Time for them to come out swinging!

6 minutes ago, Hero-of-Time said:

Indeed. I’m hoping Halo has a strong showing. I really want the series to return to its past glory....

Apparently Hellblade 2 will not be shown at the show.

Yeah hopefully the extra time on Halo has helped, some screenshots they released already looked loads better.

I don’t think Everwild is being shown either which makes you think other studios are ready to share what they have cooking.

4 minutes ago, Map said:

I don’t think Everwild is being shown either which makes you think other studios are ready to share what they have cooking.

Yeah, apparently that game is a few years off yet. I wonder if we’ll see anything more of Perfect Dark? Gotta imagine that Fable will have a strong showing. The thing has been in development for a while now.

11 minutes ago, Hero-of-Time said:

Yeah, apparently that game is a few years off yet. I wonder if we’ll see anything more of Perfect Dark? Gotta imagine that Fable will have a strong showing. The thing has been in development for a while now.

Yeah got fingers crossed they get Fable right, it should be in good hands with Playground now. Imagine we will see more of Evowed, Obsidian seem pretty efficient in getting games and content out.

• Like 1

Hoping the Sonic Origins collection has the correct music for S3&K. Add the extras for Sonic Jam as well please.

New Sonic design in the new game looks like it's in-between Classic and Modern Sonic.

1 minute ago, Ike said:

Hoping the Sonic Origins collection has the correct music for S3&K.

Whenever someone says something like that, I'm never certain on which one they're talking about.

I'd be surprised if they stuck with the MJ version, must cost a bomb to reuse that.

The MJ version is the correct one. :heh:

If they can't then please make new music, the original versions are horrible.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I never heard about S3&K having an alternate soundtrack... the only thing I can think of is the music from standalone S3 (like the MJ-esque mini-boss theme, or the ear-grating invincibility theme, both of them replaced in S&K), is that what you guys are referring to?

Edited by Jonnas

7 minutes ago, Jonnas said:

I never heard about S3&K having an alternate soundtrack... the only thing I can think of is the music from standalone S3 (like the MJ-esque mini-boss theme, or the ear-grating invincibility theme), is that what you guys are referring to?

Kinda, we're talking about the beta version of Sonic 3.

Basically, as far as I'm aware, Sonic 3 already had a soundtrack, but Michael Jackson stepped in and wrote some tracks which is what was used in the final product. This naturally causes all sorts of problems for any re-releases.

25 years later, we actually got to hear these when the Prototype ROM was released.

These tracks were used in the PC version (Although touched up a tad).

My (and many others) concern is that this Origins re-release will revert back to this soundtrack, which just doesn't sound as good. Prototype Ice Cap in particular really pales in comparison.

Edited by Glen-i
  • Thanks 2

9 hours ago, Jonnas said:

I never heard about S3&K having an alternate soundtrack... the only thing I can think of is the music from standalone S3 (like the MJ-esque mini-boss theme, or the ear-grating invincibility theme, both of them replaced in S&K), is that what you guys are referring to?

Yeah, the 1997 PC version of S3&K actually had alternative music tracks for a number of stages (including Carnival Night Zone, Launch Base Zone and Ice Cap Zone; amongst some other tracks).  For decades, people had no idea why this version (and only this version of the game) had these alternative tracks in place of the MD "originals"... until fast forward all the way to November 2019, and all of a sudden, a prototype version of Sonic 3 surfaces with... you guessed it! The "alternative" music tracks from the 1997 PC release!

It turns out that the PC music tracks were the originals all along! And it confirmed the long-held theory that Michael Jackson and his crew DID contribute music to the final, released MD version of S3&K.

For context, the (basically confirmed) reason why S3&K has not seen any form of re-release since 2011 is because of the discovery & release of a certain, previously unreleased song by a little known band called The Jetzons... a band that MJ Keyboardist/composer Brad Buxer used to be part of back in the early 80s...

The song in question?

Why hello there Ice Cap Zone!

Brad Buxer was also one of the music composers who worked on S3&K... He repurposed one of his previous compositions, that was never previously released, for S3&K's Ice Cap Zone.  And following this discovery? All of a sudden, S3&K re-releases just... stopped.  I wonder why...

To make matters worse, Brad Buxer also basically confirmed a long-held fan theory... Sonic 3's End Credits theme was indeed a prototype version of what would eventually become MJ's Stranger in Moscow.  Something that would, undoubtedly, become a licensing nightmare and a potentially massive source of litigation against SEGA for the millions of copies of Sonic 3 previously sold with unlicensed MJ music.

So yeah, I fully expect the "offending" music tracks to get replaced in this Sonic Origins collection; most likely with the actual, original music from the Sonic 3 prototype (but it could be also be a set of new compositions too).

Edited by Dcubed
  • Thanks 2

I knew half of the story (including the Jetzons' music), but didn't know about the music from the PC version. I also didn't know that the radio silence on S3&K started with the Hard Times reveal. I thought it had to do with MJ's death and some litigation that arose with it, but now it sounds more like Sega's being wary (if I understood correctly... Michael Jackson's heirs and/or estate haven't actually protested anything regarding S3&K, have they? No litigation has occurred yet, right?)

That said, it would be a shitty collection if Sega released S3&K without the iconic Ice Cap music, and they know that. Considering the thorniest issue is Sonic 3's ending music, they might be able to get away with only replacing that one (and very easily, if they release S3&K without standalone S3). Not putting my chips down or anything, just saying there's a chance they can work around the issue.

Edited by Jonnas
  • Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, Jonnas said:

That said, it would be a shitty collection if Sega released S3&K without the iconic Ice Cap music, and they know that. Considering the thorniest issue is Sonic 3's ending music, they might be able to get away with only replacing that one (and very easily, if they release S3&K without standalone S3). Not putting my chips down or anything, just saying there's a chance they can work around the issue.

Not a bad idea, there's only one snag...

That's the only Sonic 3 exclusive song that's available in S3&K's sound test!

How's that for rotten luck, huh?

If Sega can't fix Sonic 3 & Knuckles, for a compilation, released to celebrate the series' 30th anniversary, then they'll never bother to fix it.

Sonic 3 & Knuckles just isn't the same game without the iconic music for Ice Cap zone and other stages.

One of the last great ports of the game I played, was the Wii Virtual Console version, even that wasn't one hundred percent perfect, as it had very slight sound differences in a small number of instances due to the emulation, but even that had the lock-on functionality and all of the original music intact.

It's no longer available too, well... via official means at least. I'm glad that I still have it on my original launch day Wii. :)

To have the collection, of all the original Mega Drive games and Sonic CD as a compilation, with all of the correct music and full widescreen support, would be a most excellent addition to current and modern platforms, as it would ensure the accessibility of the games for a good while longer.

- - - - -

Look what I found from the N-E archives...

(well... the text at least, but I still have the images and banners saved, so I've re-added them back in for this forum post retro review revival) :D

Spoiler

vcwsonic3.jpg.3a126942fc3eb7a08496e209dc4a0bac.jpg

Publisher: Sega
Developer: Sonic Team
Released: 1995
System: Megadrive

It seems that after producing superior sequel Sonic 2, Sega continued their streak of success with Sonic's third outing which is essentially more of the same but bigger, bolder and in many ways better. It's scale is significantly grander than previous efforts, featuring two playable characters, six unique zones each eclipsing the second games stages three times over and of course; plenty of ring collecting and emerald acquiring.

Starting where their second adventure finished, Sonic and Tails follow Dr. Robotnik to the Floating Island where the Death Egg crashed after being previously destroyed and now the evil doctor is planning to rebuild it. The miracle of the islands levitation is due to the power of the Chaos Emeralds which you must get to before Robotnik; but an inhabitant of the Floating Island named Knuckles the Echidna sees you as a threat and will stand in your way periodically throughout the adventure.

An elemental extension of it's predecessor, Sonic 3 may not be anything drastically new but what it does do is take everything to the next level. On screen action feels a lot more fast and fluid and the sense of speed is perfectly projected though each levels features and facets such as speed boosting buffers, strategically placed springs and of course multiple trademark loops.

60b19fc72e5a6_Sonic3image.JPG.ef105a9903915afd6871966e0fc57e93.JPG

New additions to the game include a plethora of power ups including the fire, electric and bubble shields which surround Sonic and give him extra abilities. Tails is now controllable when flying, he also has a useful carry move which comes into it's own in with two players and there is the introduction of bonus stages for obtaining extra lives, rings and continues; not to mention a pseudo 3D special stage where you must collect blue orbs which is rather impressive for it's time and challenging in the later stages.

Even though it owes many of it's gameplay traits to the second incarnation Sonic 3 is still an excellent entry to the series in it's own right. Vivid visuals, astounding audio, and quite simply great gameplay; quite simply the only thing that can make this game even better is would be having the original ability to combine it with Sonic & Knuckles which hopefully will be incorporated when the second part of this truly terrific title is inevitably introduced to the ever expanding emporium of games that is the Virtual Console.

Verdict: A superb staple entry to the Sonic series.

vcw-sonicknuckles.jpg.63ac3f0bc77cd31238b3a55657bd4624.jpg

Publisher: Sega
Developer: Sega
Released: 1994
System: Megadrive

Although it has been released countless times before Sonic & Knuckles is one of the most fondly remembered and often requested games when it comes to re-releases; this is partly due to the pioneering lock-on cartridge technology used in the original that only really came about due to time constraints during development time but allowed for what were essentially two parts of the same game to be faithfully reunited and played together as one glorious platform game.

For reasons unknown this 'Lock-On' ability has been taken out of some compilations so it will no doubt be a relief to Wii owners that the function has been restored this time around. Not only can you use S&K in conjunction with Sonic 3 but you can also combine it with the original Sonic the Hedgehog for near endless variants of the 'Blue Sphere' special stage or more significantly with Sonic 2 which allows you to play through the whole game as Knuckles the Echidna.

60b1a06dcb84a_SonicandKnucklesImage1.JPG.75fcb50590216415064c3f46a557fe6b.JPG

Playing the game as a standalone entity is more of a muted experience because while you get to play through many new zones as either character you are only really getting half of the experience so it's highly recommended that you download Sonic 3 as well for the ultimate experience which involves playing through both games as a whole using either Sonic, Tails or Knuckles and collecting two sets of emeralds along the way not to mention being able to access four different special stages and take multiple routes. Epic is the only way to describe it.

In all honesty if you've yet to experience the whole adventure as a whole then you're missing out and would be well advised to pick both parts of this game up now that it's possible to play them as they were intended once more. Though they may be 800 points each it's still worth it though you may be better off tracking down a copy of Sonic Mega Collection and a Gamecube memory card if the price is right seeing as that contains all of Sonic's main Megadrive adventures and then some.

60b1a0c627dab_SonicandKnucklesImage2.JPG.a6e8d59828665e62c9e846329f0a903d.JPG

However if downloading via the virtual console is your only option then I urge you to get this asap, especially if you're a fan of either the series or platform games in general because this really is a glorious game indeed that shows off Sonic at his best.

Verdict : A simply super Sonic title.

Edited by S.C.G
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2

10 hours ago, S.C.G said:

- -

Look what I found from the N-E archives...

(well... the text at least, but I still have the images and banners saved, so I've re-added them back in for this forum post retro review revival) :D

Now that's a remaster!

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

Devolver are back June 12th! 

Always a fun watch to shake up the flow of E3.

10 days to go! :bouncy:

Edited by Julius
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 3

I want to check a look at what's written in the background, but it's far too blurry and I bet it's super important!

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, Glen-i said:

I want to check a look at what's written in the background, but it's far too blurry and I bet it's super important!

I bet that Microsoft’s next acquisition is hidden in that background ;) 

Edited by Dcubed
  • Haha 1

The ESA has - finally - shared their E3 schedule (courtesy of Kotaku) as fan registration went live today. The missing piece of the puzzle was Square Enix, who look set to present on Sunday 13th (exact time to be confirmed). 

Saturday, June 12
Broadcast pre-show starts at 1 p.m. Eastern
• E3 2021 will kick off with press conferences from Ubisoft and Gearbox Entertainment, as well as a session with GamesBeat.

Sunday, June 13
Broadcast pre-show starts at 11:45 a.m. Eastern
• Microsoft’s Xbox and Bethesda Games Showcase starts at 1 p.m. Eastern
| Special presentations from Square Enix, the PC Gaming Show, and the Future Games Show.
• Warner Bros. Games, Back4Blood and 24 Entertainment will also be featured.

Monday, June 14
Broadcast pre-show starts at 11:00 a.m. Eastern
• Alongside press conferences from several indie developers, presentations from Take-Two Interactive, Mythical Games, Freedom Games, Razer, and Capcom will take place throughout the day.
• Verizon and Intellivision will also be featured, along with a session with VENN.

Tuesday, June 15
Broadcast pre-show starts at 11:00 a.m. Eastern

The last day of E3 will include: 

• Nintendo’s Nintendo Direct and Nintendo Treehouse: Live programming starting at noon Eastern.
• BANDAI NAMCO, Yooreka Games, and GameSpot will also have events.
• The broadcast will round out with the Official E3 2021 Awards Show.

Over on ResetEra, Keighley has provided some clarification on some of the other publishers here:

Just to set expectations here, while SQUARE has an event, I would not describe these others in the headline as the "presentations" you're imagining.

I'll update the original post with dates and times once we get Square Enix confirmed. They would not have been my guess to be the company that left us waiting the longest! 

EDIT: 5 minutes later...

Well, guess it's time to go edit that post.

Probably my most anticipated show this year alongside Nintendo's Direct. XVI? The rumoured Final Fantasy Origin? Hype :bouncy:

EDIT 2: oh shoot, Babylon's Fall isn't dead! 

With that in mind, here’s a tantalizingly vague list at what you can expect to see:

• The world premiere of a new game from Eidos-Montréal
• An exciting update on BABYLON’S FALL
• New details about Marvel’s Avengers Expansion: Black Panther- War for Wakanda and updates on upcoming in-game events
• A deep dive on Life is Strange: True Colors and a first look at Life is Strange: Remastered Collection

No mention of XVI. Don't toy with my emotions S-E!

Edited by Julius
  • Thanks 1

Just now, Dcubed said:

Babylon’s Fall is still alive!?!?

Rebrand to Babylon Rises confirmed?!?! :D

But seriously, curious to see if Platinum are still attached. You'd hope so, but it's been a looooooooong minute or two since we last saw this game. 

New Eidos-Montréal game? Its going to be the heavily rumoured Guardians of the Galaxy title they've been working on for years but I'd give anything for it to be a new Deus Ex title to finish off that trilogy. A man can dream...

4 minutes ago, Hero-of-Time said:

Some kind of indie showcase is on at the moment.

I can't even remember what event stream it was that I watched him on (maybe SEGA or something related to Square Enix?), but J-Mon is such a wholesome presenter for some of these events, so glad to see him on this! 

Also, the start of E3 this year just feels really blurred, more than in previous years - I guess it's a bit of a hangover from last year? We've got E3 proper kicking off with Ubisoft next Saturday, but between now and then there's also:

- the Guerrilla Collective at 16:00 BST today

- the Battlefield reveal on Wednesday (though these are always kind of meh)

- the Summer Game Fest Kickoff on Thursday

And then other things like the Koch Media stream, IGN Expo, another Guerrilla Collective event and more scattered in too.

I want to say I really hope they keep it limited to this month, as I think last summer was a bit of a nightmare, but we already know EA has decided to throw an event in towards the end of next month so :blank: 

• Thanks 1

Trailer for Thursday's Summer Game Fest Kickoff:

And some more details on the show from Keighley:

I really, really hope there's one thing I come away from this wanting to check out that we don't already know about, and that it flows reasonably well. The Game Awards get better year on year in my eyes, but ONL at Gamescom last summer was one of the worst gaming shows I've ever seen. 

Sign in to follow this