NEurope
Julius

Pokémon Legends: Arceus (28th January 2022)

17 hours ago, Dufniall said:

They don't have those in the Netherlands unfortunately. And with current Brexit regulations and taxes I think it's cheaper to buy a copy of Brilliant Diamond than to import a box of these!

Are you another one suffering from a bout of elden ring, Duffers?

Spoiler

From the beginning of this. :laughing: 

• Haha 1

Home update for this and BD/SP is coming "soon"

Here's a diagram that the Pokémon account posted.

FSj2oWuX0AAfedw?format=jpg&name=large

Yes, despite Legends having a different stat calculation method to mainline games, it'll be a two way trip, meaning that you're free to transfer Pokémon back and forth between Home and Legends (if the Pokémon exists in that game, don't get too excited). Wonder how they pulled that off? Seeing as Let's Go didn't.

Depositing a Pokémon from BD/SP will get you a gift of all three Sinnoh starters with their Hidden Abilities, while depositing one from Legends will get you those corresponding starters with the effort levels maxed out.

Guess I'll finally have to bite the bullet and catch the legendaries exclusive to Legends. Massive groan!

EDIT: Details about how various things work, courtesy of @Serebii.

Details have started to come for Pokémon HOME's connectivity with previous games with Version 2.0
Pokémon from Legends Arceus will display a Strange Ball in Brilliant Diamond & Shining Pearl while Pokémon from Sword & Shield or Brilliant Diamond & Shining Pearl will display the Strange Ball in Pokémon LEgends Arceus
When you deposit Pokémon from BDSP you will get a gift of Turtwig, Chicmhar and Piplup with Hidden Abilities
When you put Pokémon from Legends Arceus, you will get a gift of Rowlet, Cyndaquil and Oshawott with highest Effort Levels
Pokémon HOME mobile will allow for you to check the Pokédex of each game connected to your Pokémon HOME as well as the National Pokédex. This only registers Pokémon that have been in their respective game's Pokédex and they only register Pokémon caught in those games. If a Pokémon hasn't had its Pokédex page completed in Pokémon Legends: Arceus, it will note as such in Pokémon HOME. There are also new Stickers and Achievements coming
The moves that Pokémon can learn in Pokémon Legends: Arceus, Pokémon Brilliant Diamond, Pokémon Shining Pearl, Pokémon Sword, and Pokémon Shield differ from those that they can learn in other games, so a Pokémon’s moves will not be reflected when it is transferred to another game. When a Pokémon is taken to another game for the first time, the moves it can use will be determined by its level.
If a Pokémon is brought from the game it was caught into another game and learns other moves, and is then brought back to the game it was caught in, it will go back to having the moves that it originally knew
Special Pokémon from BDSP that can only be caught once during regular gameplay can only be deposited once per save data to Pokémon HOME.

EDIT PART TWO: Oh god, I'm gonna have to bother completing the Dex entries. Home keeps track of whether you complete the research.

84.jpg

There goes my plan of bypassing it with Home for technical Pokedex completion...

Edited by Glen-i

They are splitting the Pokédex so it tracks by game/region as well.

I was thinking about doing a living dex but I dunno now. I do need to go back to the older games. There's still a load of Pokémon I never got.

13 minutes ago, Ike said:

They are splitting the Pokédex so it tracks by game/region as well.

I was thinking about doing a living dex but I dunno now. I do need to go back to the older games. There's still a load of Pokémon I never got.

The National Dex is still going to be there in Home, so if you're like me and just want to keep that up, it'll still be there.

That said, I'm missing a few Pokémon/regional variants from Arceus, so it's not something I can actually claim right now.

Home update is rolling out in a staggered process to reduce server strain, should be widely available tomorrow.

Some odd restrictions on particular Pokémon have surfaced though (Outside of the "Pokémon doesn't exist in a game" one) Blatantly stealing info from @Serebii again.

- Gigantamax Pikachu, Eevee, and Meowth cannot be transferred to BD/SP or Legends: Arceus.

- Nincada cannot be moved from Home to BD/SP.

- Spinda cannot be moved between Home and BD/SP at all.

The event Gigantamax Pokémon seem to be similar to how you couldn't move the likes of Spiky Eared Pichu or Costume Pikachu to future games, but the Nincada and Spinda thing seem like a bug. Because that's just weird.

Anyway, back to Legends: Arceus. The first part of that anime special is available on Pokémon's YouTube channel.

I’ve escaped from maintenance he’ll, so might be worth checking.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Ike said:

I’ve escaped from maintenance he’ll, so might be worth checking.

Lucky you. No such luck for me though.

Got in now.

Home still doesn't cross reference your in-game Pokédex with the Home ones, so I have to once again get a whole bunch of pre-evolutions to fill up the regional ones...

It also means that I can't register Kubfu to the Isle of Armour Dex because you only get one and I've already evolved mine! Very annoying...

Some of the new challenges are bonkers though! For example, one is to register a Charizard.

Huh? That's super easy? Oh right! Forgot to mention that it has to have been caught in FireRed/LeafGreen!

1 hour ago, Glen-i said:

Some of the new challenges are bonkers though! For example, one is to register a Charizard.

Huh? That's super easy? Oh right! Forgot to mention that it has to have been caught in FireRed/LeafGreen!

How many transfers and pieces of kit will that take? Seems like the kind of thing you'd be up for doing over playing Arceus. :p 

26 minutes ago, darksnowman said:

How many transfers and pieces of kit will that take?

The bare minimum would be a DS/DSLite, a 3DS with Pokémon Bank and Pokémon Transporter, and a mobile phone capable of running Home (or a Switch). Then you'd need FireRed/LeafGreen, a Gen 4 game, a Gen 5 game, and a mainline 3DS game (Gen 6 or 7, doesn't matter).

That's it.

Honestly, I can easily do it, but I don't care too much for the challenges. I quickly replaced my Gen 3 Charizard on the 3DS once I got into competitive battling.

The irony is that it's way easier to get a Gen 1 Charizard on to Home, but that's not a challenge.

Edited by Glen-i

Well it wouldn't be a challenge if it was easy, would it?

3 hours ago, bob said:

Well it wouldn't be a challenge if it was easy, would it?

Well, see... Now, this is awkward, but...

I guess I didn't get rid of it after all?

When I'm surprising myself with my Pokémon insanity, then things have gotten real bad!

Don't have a Venusaur from the same game though...

Don't forget to claim your free starters for transferring 'mons from BDSP and PLA.

• Thanks 1

OK, first, that's for Sword/Shield. And second, you can get a Shiny Shellder from that, so it's not completely pointless.

On 19/05/2022 at 7:47 PM, Glen-i said:

OK, first, that's for Sword/Shield. And second, you can get a Shiny Shellder from that, so it's not completely pointless.

Hmm... errr... but... this backwards swimming Pokémon can be homed to Plarceus? ::shrug:  :wtf: :idea: 
(It can't. Already checked).

Welp, I finally got off my Arseus, finished off the main plot and rolled the credits.

I'm gonna put this in spoilers, despite the fact that I'm the last person here to finish it, so everyone already knows what happens.

Spoiler

You know what? That last section was the most fun I had in the game, because it didn't evolve catching hundreds of Pokémon.

Also helped that PL: Arceus ended in a similar fashion to how it started, by blatantly ripping off Pokémon Mystery Dungeon!

No joke, that scene when you're banished from Jubilife Village and have to go clear your name without being allowed to go back to said village. Yep, Mystery Dungeon did it. Even did it for a similar reason (Main character accused of bad things happening purely because they came from a different dimension with absolutely no evidence!)

Fine by me though.

The little tests from the lake trio were fun, along with some opportunities to catch some rare Pokémon (by actually battling them!) And I laughed at the absurdity of putting off the end of the world just so I could do a side quest involving chasing a Spheal that rolled down a hill. Why that request became available during said end of the world is beyond me.

I chose to get Palkia first, because I like Palkia. The remix that plays during battling it was kinda lame. Far too composed and slow for that song. The piano needs to sound frantic!

But then the game forced me to have Palkia in my team, which annoyed me because 1. I wanted to use nothing but new Pokémon, and 2. The six Pokémon I was using were all stronger then Palkia!

Didn't matter in the end though, because the Dialga fight was a Noble Pokémon style one, easily the best bit about this game, and this fight was no different! Actually blacked out for the first time, kinda got blindsided by Dialga teleporting right towards me and exploding in my face! But chose Restart Battle, and nailed it the second time, and I wasn't given an opportunity to actually send out a Pokémon, so it didn't matter that I had to bench Bash the Basculegion. The VS Palkia/Dialga remix used in this battle was WAYYYYY better. Nice to get some good music that I can actually enjoy without having to look it up on YouTube for a change.

I kinda wish the game was less boring open-world faff and more action game style fights with Pokémon battling at opportune times to deal massive damage. It's a really fun mix! But there's only 6 of those fights and I need more! And there's no way in hell that's showing up in Scarlet/Violet, because it's gonna carry over all the crap open-world parts. Guess it's getting put on the cut cool features pile with Battle Frontier.

Anyway, Arceus chewed me out for getting distracted by Time-Space shenanigans and reminded me that catching all the Pokémon was the entire reason I was there. So back to the boring grind. Getting a complete Dex on Home is the reason I picked this back up, I suppose...

Edited by Glen-i

Funnily enough, I also went back to Arceus as I needed another Shieldon. I had to wait an hour for a Time Distortion to appear, luckily I found a Shieldon the first time. That let me finish my Pokedex and nab the shiny charm. Annoying that you need to catch 2 of them to complete the 'dex.

I also needed some more of the starters and the easiest way to do it was do the side quests to activate the Massive Mass Outbreaks as they are forced in each area (save before you go to the area if you don't get the spawns you need just reset). 

Also got a Shiny Growlithe and Rufflet which was a nice bonus.

On 03/06/2022 at 11:18 AM, Glen-i said:

I'm gonna put this in spoilers, despite the fact that I'm the last person here to finish it,

Not any more!

So I got this for Christmas, and i'm probably going to be spamming yet another buried, old thread with my impressions as I play through it.

I've not played a main-line Pokémon game since Gold (assuming Pokémon Let's Go doesn't count), so i'm a bit behind. However, this one seems to be separate from all the others, so hopefully it won't matter so much that I missed out so many in between.

The start is pretty painful, with the writing in particular being god-awful. None of it makes sense. None of the people at the research camp have managed to catch more than 3 Pokémon? Really? Why is that your condition to pass the test for entry into camp then? And then they tell you than you can't carry more than 6 Pokémon at a time - how would they know? None of them have managed to get that far! The dialogue is so full of hand-wavey "oh, i feel like you're supposed to go this way", "it seems like maybe you should do this", which is such crap.

The beginning bit is so slow and drawn out, and really boring, but it's for kids, so we can cut them some slack, I suppose.

Anyway, once you make it into the first area, and start catching Pokémon, the game livens up a bit. Battling and catching wild Pokémon is pretty moreish, and I'm already itching to go back and play some more, which is a good sign. The catching/battling mechanics are a bit weird, but I'm sure I'll get used to them. I am already very attached to my Bidoof. 

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, bob said:

Not any more!

So I got this for Christmas, and i'm probably going to be spamming yet another buried, old thread with my impressions as I play through it.

I've not played a main-line Pokémon game since Gold (assuming Pokémon Let's Go doesn't count), so i'm a bit behind. However, this one seems to be separate from all the others, so hopefully it won't matter so much that I missed out so many in between.

The start is pretty painful, with the writing in particular being god-awful. None of it makes sense. None of the people at the research camp have managed to catch more than 3 Pokémon? Really? Why is that your condition to pass the test for entry into camp then? And then they tell you than you can't carry more than 6 Pokémon at a time - how would they know? None of them have managed to get that far! The dialogue is so full of hand-wavey "oh, i feel like you're supposed to go this way", "it seems like maybe you should do this", which is such crap.

The beginning bit is so slow and drawn out, and really boring, but it's for kids, so we can cut them some slack, I suppose.

Anyway, once you make it into the first area, and start catching Pokémon, the game livens up a bit. Battling and catching wild Pokémon is pretty moreish, and I'm already itching to go back and play some more, which is a good sign. The catching/battling mechanics are a bit weird, but I'm sure I'll get used to them. I am already very attached to my Bidoof. 

Aaaaand neither will you. If anyone will be the last person, it'll be me. After playing Violet, I'm back on the games and this will be something for me to get! The question is, do I get this or do I get Scarlet? I'm aiming to get the rest of the Pokemon games as I have a lot of them and I really want to go through them again. I've fell in love with Violet. No idea what to do, is Arceus better than Violet?

20 minutes ago, bob said:

Isn't Scarlet the same game as Violet?

Apparently there's different Pokemon and it's set in the past? Or did I misunderstand?

I was also thinking of getting Let's Go Eevee...I don't know, lmao.

2 hours ago, Beast said:

Apparently there's different Pokemon and it's set in the past? Or did I misunderstand?

There's a different professor and a city is different as well. Also a different main legendary but all of it amounts to absolutely nothing during gameplay. I've never understood why some people go through both Pokémon games (in general).