NEurope
Julius

Pokémon Legends: Arceus (28th January 2022)

2 hours ago, MindFreak said:

There's a different professor and a city is different as well. Also a different main legendary but all of it amounts to absolutely nothing during gameplay. I've never understood why some people go through both Pokémon games (in general).

So it's literally the same experience? Like same trainers, story, etc? Why is everyone going on about one being in the past and the other being in the future? I thought they were different timelines! lmao. I thought it sounded interesting. 

16 minutes ago, Beast said:

So it's literally the same experience? Like same trainers, story, etc? Why is everyone going on about one being in the past and the other being in the future? I thought they were different timelines! lmao. I thought it sounded interesting. 

Someone must correct me if I'm wrong but I believe the past and future aspect of it will become clear once you have completed the game - and it's not that significant. The stories are identical and the differences are only cosmetic. 

2 hours ago, Beast said:

Those people are exaggerating the theming of the two featured legendaries. Pokémon has being doing this since the GBA games, where two usually opposing things make for the theme of the games and also the designs of their legendary Pokémon. Land and sea, truth and ideals, day and night, and so on. Past and future just happen to be the latest one.

The only real substantial difference between Scarlet and Violet is what Pokémon are available. You can just trade with a Scarlet player for the ones you can't get.

3 hours ago, MindFreak said:

Someone must correct me if I'm wrong but I believe the past and future aspect of it will become clear once you have completed the game - and it's not that significant. The stories are identical and the differences are only cosmetic. 

Ugh, I just looked up the different Pokémon and it seems there's only about 15 or something? The people who invented these games were on some mad money! lmao.

I am still contemplating in getting it. Reason being is because unintentionally, I got the other games (minus the DS and Switch ones). I had Sun and Moon but it didn't interest me so I haven't touched them. X, I enjoyed playing but haven't touched Y. I'd like the Switch games. It's weird but I have them but always only ever played one. Reason being is because I got the collection for a stupid price at a car boot when I was a kid.

1 hour ago, Glen-i said:

Those people are exaggerating the theming of the two featured legendaries. Pokémon has being doing this since the GBA games, where two usually opposing things make for the theme of the games and also the designs of their legendary Pokémon. Land and sea, truth and ideals, day and night, and so on. Past and future just happen to be the latest one.

The only real substantial difference between Scarlet and Violet is what Pokémon are available. You can just trade with a Scarlet player for the ones you can't get.

Okay. That's good to know but I think it would've been an interesting aspect to have done that. Like tying the two together and having a separate timeline. 

Do you think it's worth getting Scarlet to say you have it or wait for it to be cheaper? I ask this because Pikachu and Eevee is nearly the same price as Violet and Scarlet yet I can get Sword and Shield or Diamond and Pearl cheaper...

I could swear someone was saying that "no one buys both versions of a Pokemon game" just a few weeks ago, and now we have someone literally contemplating buying a 99.9% identical game to the one they already have!

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Beast said:

Do you think it's worth getting Scarlet to say you have it or wait for it to be cheaper? I ask this because Pikachu and Eevee is nearly the same price as Violet and Scarlet yet I can get Sword and Shield or Diamond and Pearl cheaper...

I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for a discount. You may get lucky but I don't recall Pokémon games getting substantial discounts. I would still advice you against wasting your money but if you collect them then there's that aspect to consider as well. But you can just as well wait to see if you can get it cheaper for some reason as you don't need it and it doesn't go out of print any time soon.

So, back to Legends: Arceus, I suppose. :D 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Beast said:

I wouldn't get Scarlet at all. There's no benefit to having both for yourself.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Ronnie said:

I could swear someone was saying that "no one buys both versions of a Pokemon game" just a few weeks ago, and now we have someone literally contemplating buying a 99.9% identical game to the one they already have!

I kind of collect them. I didn't realise I had so many games, honestly. Just seemed a bit of a shame to not get the rest but I'm going for Eevee, Sword or Arceus, depending on what I can get my hands on first.

On 1/4/2023 at 10:27 PM, Glen-i said:

You can just trade with a Scarlet player for the ones you can't get.

You say that but no-one has responded to my request for help from Wednesday... :laughing:

4 minutes ago, Eddage said:

You say that but no-one has responded to my request for help from Wednesday... :laughing:

I mean, I'm here now if you still need to evolve those Pokémon?

8 minutes ago, Glen-i said:

I mean, I'm here now if you still need to evolve those Pokémon?

I've just PM'd you :) 

Ok, this game is pretty addictive. I can see how many are happy to overlook the crappy graphics and shit writing in order to play a very compelling gameplay loop. I keep itching to pick up and play some more! 

I actually really like the research task mechanic - it makes you spend a bit more time on each Pokémon, either catching or battling a crappy 'mon that you would normally have overlooked once you caught one of.

I also like they way that the game rewards you the same whether you catch them or defeat them, so you can do either and still level up your Pokémon. Speaking of which, mine are all around level 18-21, and i've reached level 2 star ranking, so i'm pretty much a master by this point.

I do have a question though - do the alpha Pokemon respawn? Or are they only there once?

29 minutes ago, bob said:

I do have a question though - do the alpha Pokemon respawn? Or are they only there once?

They respawn.

Also, getting EXP for catching a Pokémon has been a thing for ages.

16 minutes ago, Glen-i said:

They respawn.

Also, getting EXP for catching a Pokémon has been a thing for ages.

Awesome.

And I refer you to my previous comment regarding the last Pokémon game i played.

Jesus Christ this game has some awful writing in it. I just had a 'conversation' with Rei that may be one of the worst things i've ever seen in a video game:

"Yknow, lately these space-time distortion things have been popping up here and there. I took a peek into one and saw some tempting items, so I tried ducking in to grab 'em. But it turned out there were legions of tough Pokémon inside. I barely made it out alive... You be careful around those distortions, all right? Anyway! Time to make for the Mirelands Camp."

Just casually popped into a space-time distortion to pick up a few things - be careful if you go in too! This is the first time they are mentioned as well. 

Plugging away at this game in any spare moments.

The story continues to be arse - I'm shying away from progressing the story most of the time because I can't face having to read more crappy dialogue. I've just done the second angry boss Pokémon calming thingy. So I suppose the end of the second area? But I'm still roaming around that bog area trying to complete a few more Poke-entries before I move on.

I'm a bit underwhelmed by the Pokémon designs I've seen so far. I've caught maybe 50ish, but I haven't caught many that I actually want to use. I just swapped out an otter wearing a life jacket for a crow wearing a hat, but I'm not that enthused by any of the new gen designs.

I think my team is:

Typhlosion
Bidoof
Luxray
Graveler
Crow with hat
Scyther

And why are all the grass Pokémon all the same? They're all slender humanoid plant monsters - there's nothing interesting or different.

I did see and catch my first ever shiny though the other day (not counting mission specific ones). A shiny graveler! Felt very exciting! I never even saw one playing through Red, Gold or Let's Go, so it felt pretty special.

6 hours ago, bob said:

I did see and catch my first ever shiny though the other day (not counting mission specific ones). A shiny graveler! Felt very exciting! I never even saw one playing through Red, Gold or Let's Go, so it felt pretty special.

They are far easier to find in this game. So much so, that everyone here who played it found at least one.

4 hours ago, Ashley said:

Way to piss all over bob's parade

I'll take whatever joy I can out of this game.

• Haha 2