NEurope
Julius

Pokémon Legends: Arceus (28th January 2022)

3 minutes ago, Glen-i said:

That works!? I guess that I just assumed it would reroll the spawn if you did that. Cheers!

Indeed. It's how I got one of my shiny Pokemon. I use manual save and so I'm not sure if auto save may mess this method up. If it saves after an encounter then it won't work.

4 minutes ago, Hero-of-Time said:

Indeed. It's how I got one of my shiny Pokemon. I use manual save and so I'm not sure if auto save may mess this method up. If it saves after an encounter then it won't work.

Oh, I never use autosave in Pokémon. I'm the kind of nerd that resets all the time chasing a good nature.

• Haha 1

25 hours is really impressive for a full dex. I'm absolutely sure that I won't make it that fast. 

I assume you went in and did the story section of an area to get the Mount and then scoured the area afterwards? 

I'm at 17 hours and have just unlocked the third area. My Pokémon are around level 40. I haven't spotted a single shiny except for the one from an early side quest. 

6 minutes ago, MindFreak said:

25 hours is really impressive for a full dex. I'm absolutely sure that I won't make it that fast. 

I assume you went in and did the story section of an area to get the Mount and then scoured the area afterwards? 

I'm at 17 hours and have just unlocked the third area. My Pokémon are around level 40. I haven't spotted a single shiny except for the one from an early side quest. 

25 hours for the story. I'm no where near a full Dex. I still haven't even seen a single rift yet either!

5 minutes ago, Hero-of-Time said:

25 hours for the story. I'm no where near a full Dex. I still haven't even seen a single rift yet either!

Aaah. Here's me thinking that the story is filling the Dex. :D So just the Galaxy quest then? 

Those rifts are not to be triffled with! Hot damn, I had a hard time when I went into one the first time, knowing nothing about them.

3 hours ago, Hero-of-Time said:

I believe you gotta turn the auto save off as soon as you see the shiny and then do a manual save. As that saves the game where it is including ghe shiny.

I reckon if you left auto save on and KO'd the shiny by accident or it ran away that would trigger an autosave.

4 minutes ago, Mokong said:

I believe you gotta turn the auto save off as soon as you see the shiny and then do a manual save. As that saves the game where it is including ghe shiny.

I reckon if you left auto save on and KO'd the shiny by accident or it ran away that would trigger an autosave.

That's what I figured. Like Glen, I usually play with it knocked off anyway.

Speaking of shiny Pokemon, I nabbed another this afternoon. Mr. Mime has been added to the collection. His colour scheme is much better than some of the others I've caught so far.

28 minutes ago, Hero-of-Time said:

That's what I figured. Like Glen, I usually play with it knocked off anyway.

Speaking of shiny Pokemon, I nabbed another this afternoon. Mr. Mime has been added to the collection. His colour scheme is much better than some of the others I've caught so far.

You should throw it out with ZR and watch its idle animation. It's great!

Edited by Glen-i
  • Haha 1

Got around to starting the game tonight. Played the first couple hours and am liking what could be a more laid back and take-your-time game. At least for me anyway. Love that you can either just try to catch or battle the wild Pokémon. I haven't really gotten into a Pokémon game in a long time, but I think this is the one that is getting me back into it. 

Man, that Midnight Theme is pure bliss. 

The opening of it is definitely inspired by Schala's Theme from Chrono Trigger, conscious decision or not, so of course it was going to be a great track for me :p

Another track I'm loving is Crimson Mirelands Theme 2, a really fun way to bring a jazzy touch to what so far on my journey has been a heavily orchestral but largely subdued soundtrack (out in the field, at least). 

I think @Glen-i mentioned he wasn't a fan of not being able to listen to the tracks properly due to it being handled somewhat similarly to Breath of the Wild, and I agree to an extent...and that extent being that I think it's been handled even worse here. 

What I've heard of the soundtrack so far has been great when I've looked individual tracks up, but as Glen mentioned before, the only chance you really get to settle into the soundtrack is during battles, as well as in cutscenes/scripted sequences and back in Jubilife. In Breath of the Wild I feel the complaint was more about the soundtrack being much more subdued and ambient, fading in and out, but even if you weren't a fan of the game's soundtrack itself, I think it was programmed into the game really well: the right track played at the right time, and, in my time with BotW at least, it was never introduced or phased out poorly. 

Here? I came across Crimson Mirelands Theme 2, slowed way down after it triggered and the jazz really started kicking in, took another 5 steps, and the music had been phased out. What the hell Game Freak?! If you don't know what I mean, just climb up on Wyrdeer and sprint around any of the areas, and you'll see what I mean. It's like they've programmed the track based on location within an area, as you would probably expect, but the areas just aren't large enough when making use of Wyrdeer (and I would have to imagine it's the same for any of the other rideable Pokémon in the game) for the music to actually be listened to and enjoyed. 

I've found it really bizarre, which is a shame, because like I said, the individuals tracks I've looked up after hearing a snapshot of them in the game have been great. 

On a totally unrelated note, as I haven't seen anyone mention it yet (though I imagine some of you might have picked up on it by now): if you want a nice environmental shot which doesn't include your character, you don't need to remove the HUD, you can just hold down 'ZL' and it will basically swoop into what feels like a first-person perspective. As someone who loves to take a lot of screenshots it's been a godsend! 

• Like 1

The sidequests are probably the best thing about this game. They're surprisingly interesting. (Not the Buizel and Spiritomb one though, they suck)

Spoiler

A woman from a foreign region wants to see a Pokémon with blue vines.

It's obviously Tangela, but I thought I'd try and be clever and show her a Tangrowth instead.

I got special dialogue for it. Love me some Developer Foresight!

56 minutes ago, Glen-i said:

The sidequests are probably the best thing about this game. They're surprisingly interesting. (Not the Buizel and Spiritomb one though, they suck)

Request 37 (Reveal hidden contents)

A woman from a foreign region wants to see a Pokémon with blue vines.

It's obviously Tangela, but I thought I'd try and be clever and show her a Tangrowth instead.

I got special dialogue for it. Love me some Developer Foresight!

I didn't mind the Buizel one but only because I already had one in storage after perfecting the Pokedex entry. Mind you, I only had a single one out of 20+ that met the criteria.

Been absent from this place for a bit, so want to make up for that somewhat. I was busy with Rivals of Aether modding but I had to pick this game up on launch and I'm really enjoying it. It is leaning on a lot of Breath of the Wild imagery in it but its got a lot of its own stuff going on.

I'm currently on Firespit Island so a fair way through the game. This is my current team:

Spoiler

The emphasis on catching Pokemon naturally means I've been catching everything I can find, boxing those who aren't main team members. That being said, this has to be the first Pokemon game that my team has changed in so many times over as I find out what you can get, and subsequently elaborating and changing things when I found out some unexpected things. I have also used a Ponyta, Luxio, Floatzel, Croagunk and Machoke on my team before finally getting the Pokemon I wanted for the team. The nicknaming theme for my team this time around is Indie game characters in case you couldn't quite tell, The Conductor being the owl from A Hat in Time, Laylee being from Yooka-Laylee, The Knight from Hollow Knight, Orcane from Rivals of Aether whose moveset was based on a Vaporeon fan moveset and Annoying Dog... everyone knows that one!

I intend to replace Orcane with a Male Basculin but I'm having trouble finding Male Basculin, they've all been female. Since you can't breed for them, it might be difficult to find a male Basculin...

Edited by Aperson
  • Like 2

@Aperson you may want to spoiler tag the picture of your team as it features a couple of region variations that some people on here may not have seen yet.

I've reached what seems to be the final post game mission and it's an absolute doozy. I've tried it a couple of times now but still can't manage to complete it. I may have to rethink my team and strategy before having another crack at it. 

Found me another shiny today. I was just out and about on the ocean and spotted a Tentacruel sparkling away. That's another in the collection. Think I've got about 9 or 10 of them now.

• Thanks 1

Different, I'll give them that.

had to laugh at "game footage isn't final". Maybe there's hope for improvements yet!

• Haha 2

32 minutes ago, Ashley said:

Different, I'll give them that.

had to laugh at "game footage isn't final". Maybe there's hope for improvements yet!

Yeah, gave me a good chuckle when it popped up on my YouTube feed on my lunch break :laughing:

Unrelated to Legends: Arceus but related to Sinnoh and along similar lines, and something I'm sure some here will get a good kick out of, is Bidoof's Big Stand, which they released a few weeks ago for Bidoof Day:

Some of the animated stuff on their channel wipes the floor with a lot of the anime proper, you can tell they have so much fun putting these together :D

• Like 1

@Hero of Time Whoops, yeah should have thought about that before being all blazé about posting the team.

Anyway, I have been playing all day and now in the area that becomes Mt. Coronet in the future. It took so long to get a Male Basculin that it ended up being my final team member acquired, I got the 5th team member first.

And yes, that means the team is fully complete, six Pokemon all named after characters from different Indie game franchises, most of which make logical sense apart from Shovel Knight which is based on a joke...

Spoiler

• Thanks 1

I don't like catching water Pokémon in this. It's nearly impossible to sneak up on them and it's much harder to actually hit them, I find. And they just want to fight all the time.

45 minutes ago, MindFreak said:

I don't like catching water Pokémon in this. It's nearly impossible to sneak up on them and it's much harder to actually hit them, I find. And they just want to fight all the time.

Yeah, it's a bit of a weird one. You spend a good part of the game catching Pokemon via stealthy methods and then you are brought back to reality and have to start catching them via the old method. My shiny Remoraid was a nightmare to catch due to my Pokemon being too high a level to be able to do a small amount of damage. I had to lure the thing to close to the land and try from there.

This morning, I went and beat the mission I was struggling on. I spent a lot of time last night changing my team, power leveling them (all 75+), buying new moves and feeding them grit in order to raise their stats. I had a stupid amount of grit thanks to all the Pokemon I had been doing. I just released a bunch of them from the box and was left with a healthy amount of grit to play with. Screw strategy! Grinding levels for the win. :D 

Spoiler

FKk8Vc3VQAEDOEy?format=jpg&name=large

I nabbed yet another shiny, yesterday evening. This time it was also an alpha Pokemon. It took ages to catch the thing. Again, I couldn't battle it because my Pokemon's levels were too high and so I had to keep trying to sneak around and get a back shot on it. It took so long that a rift appeared and then disappeared while I was faffing on with the thing. Also, for some bizarre reason, the Pokemon in question decided to fly in the air for a period of time. I never knew Hippowdon was a flying type!

Here are my recent shiny catches.

Spoiler

FKk8VWWVQAErZF4?format=jpg&name=large

FKk8VWYVIAAr9lF?format=jpg&name=large

FKk8VWWUUAEUr2K?format=jpg&name=large

I'm happy to report that after 30 hours of play time, rifts have finally started appearing. I've been in 2 of them so far and they offer a good amount of challenge. I'm not keen on some of the Pokemon being exclusive to them though. It's going to make fill in the Pokedex that bit harder as the rifts seem to be completely random.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Hero-of-Time said:

It took ages to catch the thing. Again, I couldn't battle it because my Pokemon's levels were too high and so I had to keep trying to sneak around and get a back shot on it.

None of your Pokémon can learn False Swipe? It's available at the Training Hall. Sure, it's not much use against Ghost Types, but it'll save you a lot of time with aggressive Pokémon.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Hero-of-Time said:

It took ages to catch the thing. Again, I couldn't battle it because my Pokemon's levels were too high and so I had to keep trying to sneak around and get a back shot on it.

To add to what @Glen-i suggested with False Swipe, I know Sleep has changed a bit now that it's Drowsy so it won't be quite as effective, but I would have to imagine a Gallade with False Swipe and Hypnosis is probably still the way to go for a Pokémon best equipped to catch everything you want.

You two are much further along than I am so maybe you already know if it's in the game, but at this point I have to imagine Mean Look hasn't made it, as I haven't seen it in all of my encounters with the Zubat and Gastly families so far :nono: if it is though and I just haven't come across it, I'd throw that move on a Gallade too. 

I made very liberal use of a Gallade for Pokémon hunting in Brilliant Diamond, it's always my go-to when available, so would definitely recommend :D

Edited by Julius

6 minutes ago, Julius said:

You two are much further along than I am so maybe you already know if it's in the game, but at this point I have to imagine Mean Look hasn't made it, as I haven't seen it in all of my encounters with the Zubat and Gastly families so far :nono: if it is though and I just haven't come across it, I'd throw that move on a Gallade too.

I doubt that. I've only just beaten the second noble Pokémon! (Got Seventh Star rank and 100 Pokémon though)

But yeah, Mean Look got the boot. The horrible irony being that this is the game that Mean Look (and similar moves) would be nothing short of the most useful move in the game if it was in. That's probably precisely why Game Freak ditched it.

1 hour ago, Glen-i said:

None of your Pokémon can learn False Swipe? It's available at the Training Hall. Sure, it's not much use against Ghost Types, but it'll save you a lot of time with aggressive Pokémon.

I didn't even think of that. Not to worry though, since that incident occurred I try to keep a few Stealth Sprays handy. This allows me to sneak up on the Pokemon much more easily. Plus, most of ones i've left to catch are either a high enough level for me to fight or I can just lob and Ultra Ball at them and they should catch them straight away.

9 minutes ago, Glen-i said:

I doubt that. I've only just beaten the second noble Pokémon! (Got Seventh Star rank and 100 Pokémon though)

Damn, and I thought I was being thorough! I've just got to the third area just shy of Sixth Star myself. I'm having a blast, but struggling a bit to put in sessions longer than a few hours at a time (all that dopamine is frying my lizard brain). 

14 minutes ago, Glen-i said:

But yeah, Mean Look got the boot. The horrible irony being that this is the game that Mean Look (and similar moves) would be nothing short of the most useful move in the game if it was in. That's probably precisely why Game Freak ditched it.

Yeah, that sounds about right :laughing:

I am now in the final lord area of Hisui. Team will be posted below in spoiler boxes but suffice to say everyone is now fully evolved.

Spoiler

Conductor/Hisuian Decidueye

Triple Arrows

Leaf Blade

Roost

Psycho Cut

Laylee/Crobat

Cross Poison

Leech Life

Hypnosis

Aerial Ace

The Knight/Scizor

Iron Head

X-Scissor

Close Combat

Swords Dance

Annoying Dog/Hisuian Arcanine

Thunder Fang

Flare Blitz

Rock Slide

Crunch

Lilac/Garchomp

Outrage

Aqua Tail

Bulldoze (Because this is literally the best physical ground move she can learn :/)

Iron Tail

ShovelKnight/Basculegion

Zen Headbutt

Crunch

Aqua Tail

Ice Fang

Very physical attacking team this with Crobat and Garchomp also being extremely fast to boot.

The levelling is getting annoying for my OCD though, having to box my Decidueye because he's so far ahead in experience compared to everyone else and a full level, so the rest need to catch up with him a bit.

Also, I had to make this Twitter post lol...

Spoiler

And here's some I can share publicly...