NEurope
Julius

Pokémon Brilliant Diamond & Shining Pearl (19th November 2021)

SINNOH CONFIRMED LET'S GOOOOOOOO

(but, you know, not Let's Go)

Eh on the art style but still I'll take it, even if it is a step down visually from even Omega Ruby & Alpha Sapphire :blank:

Being developed by ILCA, Inc., directed by Yuichi Idea and Junichi Masuda. 

Edited by Julius
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Julius said:

Eh on the art style but still I'll take it, even if it is a step down visually from even Omega Ruby & Aloha Sapphire :blank:

Being developed by ILCA, Inc., directed by Yuichi Idea and Junichi Masuda. 

It got Link Awakening'd, looks better than Sword/Shield.

Being outsourced is interesting.

Absolutely hate the art style! Would much rather it was built using the Sword and Shield engine.

Will probably give this one a miss.

In my head I'm referring to it as Shining Merl so DP becomes BDSM.

I'm an adult!

But anyway, dropped off the franchise at this point and not inclined to give it another go. None of the starters appeal to me and that's where I draw the line.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

14 minutes ago, Eddage said:

Absolutely hate the art style! Would much rather it was built using the Sword and Shield engine.

Will probably give this one a miss.

Yeah it's a shame else I would have enjoyed playing these games but the art style is just not for me at all. I wish they used the Let's Go engine :(

It was a very bad trailer, I think. It did nothing to me, looked rather boring and bland. And it should release sooner than late 2021, especially with Legends coming out potentially a few months later. 

2 minutes ago, Mandalore said:

Is this considered the next main series game now, or a spin off?

Goodness knows at this point, and same goes for the Legends game. I would lean towards this being the next main series game, seeing as that's how the remakes have been categorised before, and Legends I think is more of its own subseries, like Let's Go was. It's a chance for them to experiment while claiming it's a main series game, basically :p 

This one is being developed with a third party for the first time, in my opinion is a clear step down in visual ambition from the games directly before it (and even the Let's Go and 3DS games), and it's unclear how it will connect in terms of battle mechanics being incorporated (Gigantamax? Mega Evolution? Z-Moves? Sinnoh forms?). Then again, inside of battles, it does look closer to Sword & Shield...so yeah, I guess we'll have to wait and see, but I think the line between generations and what's considered spin-off/main series is definitely being heavily blurred here. 

Also, nice to see the original Diamond & Pearl font making its return! And the text boxes too? Seems a very faithful remake, wonder what this means for Platinum content...

24 minutes ago, Ike said:

It got Link Awakening'd, looks better than Sword/Shield.

Being outsourced is interesting.

Personal preference I guess, but this looks nowhere near as good as Link's Awakening to me. Richer colours, sure, but the chibi character models in the overworld genuinely look more like what we'd expect from a cheap mobile effort. It's not for me (in terms of the art style). Different art style from Sword & Shield, for sure, but until we see more I'll reserve my judgment on just how it stacks up. Colours really pop off the screen with practically the same palette as the original games, though, which I am a fan of!

• Like 1

This... isn’t how I imagined that things would go!

Game Freak not making it? Outsourcing it to someone else? And making it a nigh on shot-for-shot remake?

Well this was unexpected! It’s very unlike past remakes... It’s sticking slavishly close to the original, to the point where I do wonder if this is just literally the original DS game with a new lick of graphical paint.

I do hope that it actually does have new & modern gameplay mechanics introduced into the game.  Would be a real shame if Gen 4 didn’t get the same gameplay overhaul that past remakes got... but on the other hand? Taking this approach allows them to actually have  a shot at recreating ALL of the original content in Gen 4 in the world of HD development, without having to make massive sacrifices to get the game out of the door.

Not sure how to feel...

Edited by Dcubed
  • Like 1

33 minutes ago, Dcubed said:

This... isn’t how I imagined that things would go!

Game Freak not making it? Outsourcing it to someone else? And making it a nigh on shot-for-shot remake?

Well this was unexpected! It’s very unlike past remakes... It’s sticking slavishly close to the original, to the point where I do wonder if this is just literally the original DS game with a new lick of graphical paint.

I do hope that it actually does have new & modern gameplay mechanics introduced into the game.  Would be a real shame if Gen 4 didn’t get the same gameplay overhaul that past remakes got... but on the other hand? Taking this approach allows them to actually recreate ALL of the original content in Gen 4 in the world of HD development, without having to make massive sacrifices to get the game out of the door.

Not sure how to feel...

Right, this is exactly how I feel. Does it have Platinum content at all, even if it's just a Delta Episode situation? Do we get a fully fledged Battle Frontier, or is it just the Battle Tower? How about Sinnoh forms, Z-Moves, Mega Evolutions, Gigantamax, etc.? I mentioned it in the Presents thread, but that music even sounds like the original MIDI music. 

We haven't seen the case covers, which I think is a bit odd, and might suggest that we get Primal Forms or something for Dialga and Palkia. But other than that extrapolation, I'm finding it difficult to see - so far - why you would wait for this instead of playing Platinum, besides QoL things like faster battle animations, being able to play it on a bigger screen, and visual updates like the better looking battles (I'm landing firmly on the side of the overworld and chibi models looking borderline like a mobile game). 

Edited by Julius
  • Thanks 1

Yeah.  If this is really a shot for shot remake, with none of the new gameplay additions & mechanics you'd expect from a Game Freak made remade? Then what's the point of it?  Who cares about just having the exact same game with a new coat of paint and nothing else?

I really, really hope that the new graphics aren't all that this "remake" brings to the table... Even the most slavish of remakes should bring something new of value to the table; something that genuinely enhances the gameplay of the game that it is remaking!

Edited by Dcubed

I'm so in! Screw your crummy Open-World nonsense (it doesn't even have a new set of starters, for crying out loud), give me that Link's Awakening style turn based RPG goodness!

My only concern is the possible regression back to older mechanics and whether Platinum content gets in.

Seeing this video really makes me think this remake is hugely unambitious!

Shame but this is a no thank you from me.

58 minutes ago, MindFreak said:

Seeing this video really makes me think this remake is hugely unambitious!

Shame but this is a no thank you from me.

I don't think there's anything wrong with outsourcing to a small studio to work on something like this.

And it's worth keeping that in mind. This is an even smaller studio then Game Freak. Anyone expecting a massive budget game from this is only setting themselves up for disappointment.

I'm a bit underwhelmed by the graphics, but I am nevertheless looking forward to playing this on Switch. :D

I've already decided I'll be buying Diamond and picking Turtwig. xD Although nowadays getting all three starters isn't so tough with Home, online trading and the GTS so it doesn't matter so much. I suspect Home compatibility will either be day 1 or not long after release since it's being developed by the Home developers. So in theory New game, deposit starter, repeat, new game, withdraw starters and walla, all three.

I hope they include the Battle Frontier.

And I hope they speed up battles a lot compared to the originals, even if only when battle animations are turned off.

Some extra story like the extra episode in ORAS (even though I've never played them...) would be nice.

Looking forward to more news about these!

Just to clarify my thoughts on the art style a bit further: I'm not writing the whole thing off, but it's the way the NPC's and player character look which is off to me. That's the part to me which looks like a mobile game, they've gone the chibi route, but completely the wrong way in my eyes. Individual fingers and thumbs? A camera angle where, from behind, you can't see the player character's body? Those clown feet?

Watch Lucas's waddle towards Dawn in Jubilife and tell me that it doesn't make you shudder. Legitimately looks like some knock-off Playmobil figure. 

The lighting and shading on Lucas in that battle when he throws Piplup out, on buildings, and just generally on structures and objects in the environment looks so...off to me. It's such a shame, because I think it looks it's best when you jump into a battle. 

Also, no-one has mentioned it, but they managed to pull off the Dialkia statue in Eterna in 3D, and I think that's the highlight of the whole trailer for me. 

Uhhhhhhhh...this is a weird way to announced the release date. Coming 19th November 2021. 

Feel like this has the overwhelming potential to perform the worst of any of the remakes to date, simply based on it releasing just two months before Legends.

Also really not digging those covers. 

Edited by Julius

21 minutes ago, Julius said:

Also really not digging those covers

Funny I actually thought unlike 99% of other Pokemon covers this one actually looks like some effort went into them.

1 minute ago, Ronnie said:

Funny I actually thought unlike 99% of other Pokemon covers this one actually looks like some effort went into them.

For me the 3D models make it look fan-made? I don't know, guess I just prefer Sugimori's art most of the time. That's not to say that I'm normally a big fan of main series Pokémon game covers though, I don't think they've been anything particularly special since the nice flourishes HeartGold and SoulSilver got on theirs with the silhouettes of some places from Johto, though X and Y both had pretty clean covers!

Could take a few pointers from some of the spin-off games in my opinion and just fill up the empty space a bit more. The Pokémon Ranger and Mystery Dungeon games always had enough going on with theirs :smile:

• Like 2

They do remind me of those adverts where they add some exaggerated graphics to show joint pain.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Also releasing as a double pack.

1 hour ago, Julius said:

Feel like this has the overwhelming potential to perform the worst of any of the remakes to date, simply based on it releasing just two months before Legends.

I don't think Legends will impact the sales of these.

2 hours ago, Ronnie said:

Yeahhhh. Hard disagree. Shiny lights don't distract me from the fact that it's replacing hand-drawn art with a 3D Render. Which wouldn't be so bad, but the posing isn't much better than your average mainline Pokémon box art, so it's not a good substitute.

And I'm just gonna assume you mean 99% of mainline Pokémon games, because I'm not gonna post the Mystery Dungeon artwork again.

Anyway, I can't believe they made Palkia look even more suggestive than normal! That has to be on purpose! Don't make it raise it's head vertically! What's wrong with you!?

12 minutes ago, Sckewi said:

Pleeeeeeeeeease don't bring HMs back! 😱😱😱

Depends on what they mean when they say it's a "faithful remake".

I wouldn't bet on it being replaced.