NEurope
Julius

Pokémon Brilliant Diamond & Shining Pearl (19th November 2021)

I do miss the box art of the old games but thats not the worse of it.

I don’t mind the graphics of the game as much. Yes, they’re not the improvement I was hoping or even expecting but it will do. 

i just hope the game adopts the modern mechanics.

To be honest, i’m looking forward to giving it a go. I dropped Pokemon during the DS era so never played the original.

Edited by Blade

8 hours ago, Glen-i said:

Yeahhhh. Hard disagree. Shiny lights don't distract me from the fact that it's replacing hand-drawn art with a 3D Render. Which wouldn't be so bad, but the posing isn't much better than your average mainline Pokémon box art, so it's not a good substitute.

And I'm just gonna assume you mean 99% of mainline Pokémon games, because I'm not gonna post the Mystery Dungeon artwork again.

Anyway, I can't believe they made Palkia look even more suggestive than normal! That has to be on purpose! Don't make it raise it's head vertically! What's wrong with you!?

This:

pokemon-brilliant-diamond-pokemon-shinin

Over this:

Sword_EN_boxart.png

any day. imo.

content-4-36507-pokemonbanner.jpg

Release dates for Pokémon Legends: Arceus, Pokémon Brilliant Diamond and Shining Pearl

Now up on the main page. :D

Seeing as The Pokémon Company put out all of the release dates of their Pokémon games at once...

...it only seemed right to roll them into one article, with zero fanfare and a banner which showcases it all. :smile:

Enjoy? ::shrug:

- - - - -

:p

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Ronnie said:

This:

Over this:

any day. imo.

They're boring poses. So it might as well be hand-drawn boring poses.

Actually, you know what, you want slightly different posing? Let's even the playing field a bit.

250px-Omega_Ruby_EN_boxart.png 250px-Alpha_Sapphire_EN_boxart.png

Now that's a fairer fight. Both are remakes with verrry slightly more dynamic posing. What do you think? You think 3D renders win out here?

Edited by Glen-i

I think they should just stop using legendaries as they are typically pretty boring designs. Too focused on "look at the power!" 

13 minutes ago, Ashley said:

I think they should just stop using legendaries as they are typically pretty boring designs. Too focused on "look at the power!" 

You say that knowing full well that Pearl is sporting a dragon whose head looks like a knob? Boring is the last thing I'd call Palkia.

Seriously though? I totally agree. It's why the spin-off games constantly outshine the mainline games in box art.

Even so I find it completely unremarkable. If you asked me to try and describe it in an hour's time I'll be like "urr"

5 hours ago, Glen-i said:

They're boring poses. So it might as well be hand-drawn boring poses.

Actually, you know what, you want slightly different posing? Let's even the playing field a bit.

250px-Omega_Ruby_EN_boxart.png 250px-Alpha_Sapphire_EN_boxart.png

Now that's a fairer fight. Both are remakes with verrry slightly more dynamic posing. What do you think? You think 3D renders win out here?

Much better than the godawful Sw/Sh covers! I'd still probably go with the 3D renders though, I find the shading on the Pokemon hand drawn artwork to look pretty weak. But yeah, these are much better than most. 

7 minutes ago, Ronnie said:

Much better than the godawful Sw/Sh covers! I'd still probably go with the 3D renders though, I find the shading on the Pokemon hand drawn artwork to look pretty weak. But yeah, these are much better than most. 

As someone who utilises hard shading for a lot of stuff I draw, I feel attacked!

Just now, Glen-i said:

As someone who utilises hard shading for a lot of stuff I draw, I feel attacked!

I'm sure you're better obviously :D

58 minutes ago, Ronnie said:

I'm sure you're better obviously :D

You tell me...

Spoiler

frog_by_glen_i_d7to61t-fullview.jpg?toke

Actually, don't. I'm well aware that I'm thoroughly mediocre.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Ronnie said:

This:

pokemon-brilliant-diamond-pokemon-shinin

Over this:

Sword_EN_boxart.png

any day. imo.

All of these look like crap fan designs. 

tenor.gif?itemid=15168086

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

54 minutes ago, Glen-i said:

You tell me...

Hide contents

frog_by_glen_i_d7to61t-fullview.jpg?toke

Actually, don't. I'm well aware that I'm thoroughly mediocre.

See, much better!

• Thanks 1

Just now, Ronnie said:

See, much better!

Wow, thanks!

I always feel a bit cringe going back on my older drawings. I guess most people would.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Ike said:

Honestly tempted to go digital with that box art.

You still have to look at it on your Switch screen.

Some unfortunate logo placing will really make Shining Pearl look hilarious!

• Sad 1

1 minute ago, Ike said:

Honestly tempted to go digital with that box art.

I'd usually say that it's worth gettiing a physical copy, but in this instance... it's probably better to go digital, just to not have those boxarts. :p

Also, I think the Nintendo Store UK (or general) pre-order bonus will be an A3 poster featuring the boxart, dual-sided of course with the other version on the reverse, no escape! :heh:

4 minutes ago, Glen-i said:

You still have to look at it on your Switch screen.

Some unfortunate logo placing will really make Shining Pearl look hilarious!

Oh... oh, no...

I'll be getting Diamond so at least I'll be spared slightly.

Might as well throw the trailer from yesterday in here: 

I have a mixed bag of thoughts on this game. 

• I still hate the fact that these chibi models have distinct hands/fingers, and they will continue to fuel my nightmares. 

• it feels like they've bumped up the Depth of Field in what we saw compared with the last major look at we had at this game, and I kind of dig it. 

• on the whole I think the colour palette looks much nicer here than in previous looks, the buildings and overall look of the game is great and toy-like...but those characters models are seriously killing it for me. It's like they couldn't decide between going all-in on chibi or having something like Let's Go, so now we have these freaks to play as :laughing:

• I will never say no to Pokémon following you, that will always be a positive in my eyes! The fact that Piplup are almost the same size as your chibi character model as it follows you around definitely doesn't make me any happier about those models, though. 

• customisation is back = cool. Styles but not actual customisation = not so cool. 

• the rhythm mini-game and Poké Ball stickers returning are big draws for me, as is the returning Underground. I remember back in school when playing the originals, we had our own version of the "Mew hides under the truck" rumour, which was that you could find a Mew fossil in the Underground. The way you dig things up being practically the same just speaks volumes about this remake, though...

• the bass drop in the trailer for Galactic had me laughing stupidly hard, hope they fit the trailer music somewhere in the actual game! 

• the murals and shrine in Celestic Town looking exactly the same made me roll my eyes. Hard. 

Outside of the trailer, the fact there's seemingly no return for Mega Evolutions/Z-Moves/regional forms/Dynamaxing just speaks volumes about how much of an afterthought this remake seems to be when compared to the treatment other remakes saw. 

Map artwork looks gorgeous as always, at least...

map.jpg

...but it seemingly confirms no Battle Frontier, as it instead has the Battle Tower and gate...so yay, maybe -- it's something? At least the Survival Area wasn't axed. Pal Park is back for some mysterious reason too. 

As for the soundtrack, the one thing I had high hopes for, we don't hear too much of it here: it's not in the trailer and is instead only heard in the background of the deeper dive portion of the Presents into the games. And I'm not too happy with it so far, it sounds a lot more contrived and almost like it's trying too hard with some of the flourishes you can hear, and it sounds way too soft - like there isn't much contrast like we heard in the Gen IV soundfont back in the DS - but I'll save my judgment on that for when we hear more. 

Still on the fence with this. It's wonderful seeing it all again, but it sucks that I feel it's been completely and utterly shafted compared to earlier remakes and in favour of focusing on Legends. 

:hmm:

EDIT: I nearly forgot to mention the Switch Lite for the game! Love it, I always wanted that design on the DS Lite but it never came out over here...but it's a Switch Lite, meaning I probably won't be trying to get one. 

Edited by Julius
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Poketch is back! And HM Slaves are no more!

Graphics also look a LOT better than before (Mario WiiU will be especially impressed by the upgrade to the water from previous builds!).

Edited by Dcubed
  • Thanks 4

To anyone wondering about HMs, a Tweet from teh Pokemons says  "You can also use your Pokétch to call on wild Pokémon to help you go places you could never reach on your own! They’ll use hidden moves like Cut... (etc)". Thank goodness for that!

I don't know what it is, but they're seriously having a tough time pushing me over the edge on picking this up, and it's one of my favourite gens. But still, a solid showing, and curious why this wasn't included in the Direct, considering it's less than two months away and is a pretty short video. 

My takeaways:

• agreed with @Dcubed, the water does look fantastic now. Honestly, considering it's a remake, I feel they should've let it cook a bit longer (as they should've done with Arceus) before initially showing it off, think that first showing really negatively coloured many opinions of the game. 

• I still think the humans in this game look stupid, with their massive foam hands, but, similar to the water, the colour palette and general look of the game has got much better every time the game has reared its head over the last 7 months. 

• Pokétch returning - good. HM's being thrown in there to whatever extent - good. Looking the exact same as in the base game and having no massive upgrades (PokéNav from ORAS has spoiled me) - bad. Being thrown up in the corner - bad, but that was always going to be the case with no second screen. 

• maybe we've seen HM's being used before - if we did I didn't clock it - but unsurprisingly using the same blue colour for the PokéBall background during the animation for HM's from Diamond and Pearl, vs the yellow we saw in Platinum. 

• awesome seeing Staraptor turn up when you use Fly. 

• look, I used to enjoy making Poffins and visiting Amity Square. But they really didn't need to take up so much of the video. 

• no surprise seeing allies like Cheryl and Riley return, always been one of the things I wish they had running through the games to make them feel more episodic. 

Like with the Arceus video, super weird cut to the boxes and release dates at the end. Felt like they were slamming it into your face. Still not sold on this soundtrack, if I'm being honest, it sounds like they haven't done much with it, if anything at all listening to some of the tracks. That's the biggest thing that's hurting me getting this right now, to be honest, after listening to the Let's Go soundtrack made me want to pick it up. 

Edited by Julius
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, Julius said:

• awesome seeing Staraptor turn up when you use Fly.

Makes more bloody sense then Charizard being used to fly in Sun/Moon, despite the fact you can never catch one in those games!

Still, nice to see an actual feature from a more modern game be retroactively applied to this. Now you don't have to waste a move slot on bloomin' Defog!