NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
Julius

Pokémon Presents: 26th February 2021 @ 15:00 GMT

Yeah, might be worth sticking that in a spoiler tag @Goron_3, just in case anyone trying to avoid the leaks accidentally ends up opening it :smile: glad to hear that you're a fan of it though, that fills me with a bit of hope, whatever it is! 

Leaks suck, but this being Pokemon...

looks back at the last decade of major core series leaks and demos being left open to datamine into the dirt

...not really a surprise :p

Edited by Julius

Spoiler

Well.. That looks promising! Just saw a 27 seconds video on Twitter. Seems real to me. Holy fuck!

OK, Pokemon Legends Arceus legit looks amazing!

Looking forward to it much more than the D&P Remakes tbh.

A bit of a weird showing for me overall, even if the two reveals colour my impressions to be really positive in the end. 

The opening anniversary montage, just like the one we got in 2016 for the 20th anniversary, was great, but showing as many of the core series and spin-off titles as they did and then only having an update on one spin-off title in New Pokémon Snap was a little odd. I don't know, maybe it's just me, but it ratcheted my expectations up a little. Seeing New Pokémon Snap again was good, and I'm glad we got a better look at it this time around, seeing as it wasn't in the Direct last week. 

Brilliant Diamond & Shining Pearl is a weird one for me. On the one hand, hey, we're going back to Sinnoh, but on the other hand, everything I'm reading and seeing is saying "faithful remake", which makes me pretty concerned that other than it looking different visually (in battle and in the overworld, which is a shame because in battles the character models look great!) and having some modern QoL improvements (such as faster battle animations) it's very much just a modern reskin of the original games with very little to get excited about. I'm not even sure at this point if we should be expecting Platinum content to work its way in or Mega Evolutions, Sinnoh forms, etc., because unless I'm misremembering, "faithful remake" isn't a term they've thrown around before. Also, pretty sure the music in the trailer is MIDI - it at least sounded exactly like it did in the original games - so I hope that's not a sign that they're just going to phone in the soundtrack and bring over what will practically be the original OST. 

It's hard to be too mad with Pokémon Legends Arceus on the way though, at least it's nice to see Game Freak showing some ambition for a change, even if it looks rough. Fingers crossed things go smoothly there with development and they're able to get more out of the game than this first look showed off (world looks pretty barren if I'm being honest). 

Overall, despite its short length, I think it was a solid Pokémon Presents, and Pokémon Legends is finally Game Freak showing some ambition and trying to experiment with the series to figure out its future, which I'm a big fan of, and it's telling that a lot of people who don't play Pokémon have their eye on this; I'm struggling to think of why this couldn't potentially try to challenge the sales figures of the original games, just given its premise and potential. The lack of news on other spin-offs or ports of older games was a bit of a disappointment to me, too, but maybe we'll get some stuff announced throughout the year? 

I think it had more to offer than last night's State of Play and last week's Nintendo Direct, even if you aren't a Pokémon fan. I'd score this one an 8/10 - too much Sinnoh? :p  

Yeah I expected more outside of the games and all we got was "here's some events in some apps". 

9 minutes ago, Ashley said:

Yeah I expected more outside of the games and all we got was "here's some events in some apps". 

Yeah, definitely! For me all it did was remind me that they had a boat load of apps which they're making an absolute killing on. 

41 minutes ago, Julius said:

The lack of news on other spin-offs or ports of older games was a bit of a disappointment to me, too, but maybe we'll get some stuff announced throughout the year? 

There's 3 console games coming and 3 active mobiles games with. anew one launching soon, how many Pokemon games do you want? :heh:

For me it's not about wanting specific games or anything, but given it was (seemingly) for the anniversary I expected more about things like celebrations, merch, anime etc. 

8 minutes ago, RedShell said:

Where is Pokémon Sleep, dammit! :heh:

Maybe it got the Snorl-axe

• Haha 6

1 hour ago, Ashley said:

For me it's not about wanting specific games or anything, but given it was (seemingly) for the anniversary I expected more about things like celebrations, merch, anime etc. 

They'll probably announce more stuff as the year goes on.  That Pokemon Green cartridge means something dammit!!

content-4-36445-pokemonpresents26022021r

Pokémon Presents 26.02.2021 Roundup

Now up on the main page. :smile:

Full press release and video embed.

- - - - -

I didn't catch this live, I've only just seen the main highlights from it but... well, there certainly were more Pokémon games announced. ::shrug:

Pokémon really doesn't interest me that much any more, aside from perhaps playing a bit of Mystery Dungeon.

I'm glad for anyone who's excited about any of the new games announced, but I didn't feel anything for any of the newly announced titles, and that's OK. :)

New Pokémon Snap however, that looks really decent, and probably everything you could want from a sequel which has been long overdue. :peace:

Although... I do wonder if it has now been too long? I think there will be more of an appeal to it, for younger players, who haven't played the original.

Edited by S.C.G
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, S.C.G said:

Pokémon really doesn't interest me that much any more, aside from perhaps playing a bit of Mystery Dungeon.

This was a rollercoaster of emotions :D

3 hours ago, S.C.G said:

I'm glad for anyone who's excited about any of the new games announced, but I didn't feel anything for any of the newly announced titles, and that's OK. :)

Totally agree. I've always been a bit confused about how online discussion often boils down to you either being vehemently for or against something, as if you can't be happy for others getting something they've been waiting for, indifferent, or just accepting of it. It's funny sometimes too, because it's clear you might be coming from the same place as someone else (such as a love for Pokémon) but have different perspectives on things, and obviously that's okay. 

Does the Sinnoh remakes getting shafted (when compared to previous remakes) hurt? Sure.

Will I probably moan about it until they hopefully share more details outlining that there's going to be some reason to play this rather than go back and play Platinum instead? Yeah, that's pretty likely. But I'm not going to shout louder than everyone else. More power to you if you're a fan of that art style, but the way it looks is just not for me. 

And do I care about any of those anniversary events for mobile apps they announced during this event? Not in the slightest. Totally stoked for anyone who enjoys them, though! 

3 hours ago, S.C.G said:

New Pokémon Snap however, that looks really decent, and probably everything you could want from a sequel which has been long overdue. :peace:

Although... I do wonder if it has now been too long? I think there will be more of an appeal to it, for younger players, who haven't played the original.

As someone who dabbled (at best) with the original Pokémon Snap at a friend's house at some nebulous point in my past, I'm very excited for it, and I still think it looks better visually than any other 3D game in the franchise so far.

It is a tough one to gauge, though, because it being Pokémon aside, like I think @MindFreak mentioned in that game's thread, I don't think beating your own high scores is as appealling these days to most players. Is it to do with attention spans or some of the near universal parts of modern game design, or a bit of both? I'm not quite sure, but I can see this game having a huge drop-off when it comes to player engagement after its release weekend, which I feel is a bit of a shame. Though it'll still seem like hotcakes, so I don't feel that bad. 

Though, as ever, a port of the original wouldn't hurt in helping to appreciate this either... :p

• Thanks 1

17 hours ago, Julius said:

It is a tough one to gauge, though, because it being Pokémon aside, like I think @MindFreak mentioned in that game's thread, I don't think beating your own high scores is as appealling these days to most players. Is it to do with attention spans or some of the near universal parts of modern game design, or a bit of both? I'm not quite sure, but I can see this game having a huge drop-off when it comes to player engagement after its release weekend, which I feel is a bit of a shame. Though it'll still seem like hotcakes, so I don't feel that bad. 

Though, as ever, a port of the original wouldn't hurt in helping to appreciate this either... :p

High score used to be a number in a list with 3 letters. Now it's about how many Likes, Retweets and YouTube subs you get, people are going to flock to this to do just that. As it's an on rails timed level games, even I might even watch a Lets Play video on some of it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Sign in to follow this