NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
Julius

State of Play (Thursday 25th February 2021 @ 22:00 GMT)

18 hours ago, Julius said:

That's a great shout. I've been putting it off picking it up on Switch just because I've got so much to play anyways, but the option to have it available elsewhere is always a welcome one! 

For me, roguelites always become much better once achievements are involved, i.e. trophies.
Don't get me wrong, I loved it on the Switch but it would be even better with trophies on a PlayStation :D I'm weird like that :p 

Speaking of roguelites...I really hope the new The Binding of Isaac DLC (Repentance) gets a console date soon. It'll be out on 31st March on PC but I need it on my PS5. NOW!

Anyways, a few more hours to go :D I should get to sleep early so I can wake up early with a right amount of sleep and be productive. But nah...it's video games. I gotta watch it right then and there. I'll get by with only a few hours in dreamland :p 

Edited by drahkon
  • Like 1

Anyone else tuning in?

I almost fell asleep watching the return of the animations similar to what we saw at last year's PS5 events :laughing:

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Julius said:

Anyone else tuning in?

Yup.

This Returnal footage is insane. The SoP has delivered. Everthing else now is just gravy.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Julius said:

Anyone else tuning in?

I almost fell asleep watching the return of the animations similar to what we saw at last year's PS5 events :laughing:

I've got it on but I'm expecting nothing exciting from it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just now, Hero-of-Time said:

Same.

Already looking forward to all those disappointed that there were no megatons in this :p

2 minutes ago, drahkon said:

Yup.

This Returnal footage is insane. The SoP has delivered. Everthing else now is just gravy.

Yeah, though it looked good! I still really just want to see a solid 10 minutes of gameplay or so without interruption just to get a better idea of the moment-to-moment gameplay flow, though. 

2 minutes ago, Hero-of-Time said:

Yeah, same boat here (and it's weird me not being hyped as heck for an event for a change). One meaningful update on a game beyond June, like footage for Horizon or something like that, would leave me satisfied. 

Feels weirdly low stakes, but it's nice for a change. 

I still have no idea what FNAF is and I'm too scared to find out.
But this trailer was pretty cool. Loved the music :D

Okay but seriously, how many times can you show Oddworld? :laughing:

Edited by Julius

Just now, Julius said:

Okay but seriously, many times can you show Oddworld? :laughing:

Yeah, it's getting annoying. :D I know the series has its following, but it does nothing for me. Tried it so many times and couldn't get along with it.

Just now, Julius said:

Okay but seriously, many times can you show Oddworld? :laughing:

Agreed. I enjoy the series but it's ridiculous how many times it's now been shown. Great get for PS5 PS+ owners though.

Those Rot creatures are adorable :D

But August is so far away :(

Edited by drahkon
  • Sad 2

Kena being in August feels so right, definitely has that cosy, late summer game vibe. Selfishly kind of sucks it's so far away, but by all means, let it cook, there's plenty of other stuff to play, and it's important that Ember Lab get it right. 

Also, did we see that mask in the last trailer? Because you can definitely tell they were the ones to make that Majora's Mask fan film just based on that :laughing:

Also effectively nips the bud on the whole CES list of dates I guess? Unless we're going to argue it got delayed six months due to COVID, which is totally possible ::shrug:

Edited by Julius

YUFFIE! AHHHHHHHH 

They're making us buy this again, aren't they? 

Edited by Julius

Free upgrade. And oh deary me, a photo mode?! 

Wow, this is so unlike Square Enix :laughing: guess I'm going back for that Platinum this year instead of waiting around for Part II then! 

That’ll be a nice excuse for me to replay the game. Free upgrade to the PS5 version and then I’ll buy that Yuffie dlc.

So Final Fantasy Remake Remake :heh:

Also I'm not sure how I feel about them splitting up Final Fantasy VII remake into however many parts it ends up being AND then charging for DLC chapters in between as well. Seems a bit scummy to me :hmm:

Edited by Eddage

Fair to say, that SoP was...okay.

Returnal and Kena still look amazing.
Deathloop, too.

And that FFVIIR upgrade plus new episode seems awesome.

My prediction was way off. :laughing:

Anyways, I expected nothing and got at least a little something out of it.
Title of my sex tape.

• Haha 2

2 minutes ago, Eddage said:

So Final Fantasy Remake Remake :heh:

Also I'm not sure how I feel about them splitting up Final Fantasy VII remake into however many parts it ends up being AND then charging for DLC chapters in between as well. Seems a bit scummy to me :hmm:

Considering the upgrade is free and it's just DLC chapters we're paying for, I actually don't mind. It helps tide us over until the next game, and I think it gives the team a good chance to figure out the other characters mechanically too.

Definitely prefer it over waiting in silence, anyways! 

Happy to see we don't have to buy the game again. Wonder if the Yuffie DLC will also be on PS4?

Solid final showing but meh show overall. That's both Nintendo and Sony's first shows of 2021 falling flat for me. Just need a shoddy Inside Xbox to emerge and that's the trilogy complete. :D 

Didn't quite understand the point of that. Seen it all before. Good to get some release dates for some games though. The Final Fantasy bit was boring as hell but it's never been for me. 

I expected some Ratchet / Horizon gameplay. 

28 minutes ago, Hero-of-Time said:

Happy to see we don't have to buy the game again. Wonder if the Yuffie DLC will also be on PS4?

I don't believe it is, from the upgrade image in the trailer it seems like it's only available once you've got the upgraded version of the game on PS5 :blank:

EvGxLhmXEAgcuoa?format=jpg&name=large

This isn't confirmed, but I would also imagine that Intergrade and the Yuffie Episode might be PS5 exclusive? The timing of its release and it not being on PS4 makes me think PlayStation have thrown more money Square Enix's way, and so - just my own speculation - only the exclusivity on last year's version of the game could be up this year, kind of killing an Xbox release on arrival. 

I could be off on that, but it's just a gut feeling I have with the Yuffie Episode not being on PS4. And I think that would be very shady. 

Bit of a meh showing, not really much there that was new. The best thing announced was that the Oddworld game will be included on Plus.

Agreed with all of those saying it was a bit of a meh showing. I went in with relatively low expectations and was prepared to come away pretty indifferent until we got the Episode Yuffie / Intergrade news for Final Fantasy VII Remake, and that was the only real saving grace of the presentation for me: free upgrade, it's out in June, additional content for a game I really enjoyed, etc. Is it enough to pull me back in June rather than wait until we're a bit closer to Part II, I'm not so sure, but I'm looking forward to it, whenever I do get around to it. 

A few of the updates we got felt kind of pointless. Crash 4 upgrade news, as far as I can remember, was stuff we had already learned just a couple of weeks ago. It was cool to see gameplay of Solar Ash and FNAF: Security Breach, but both of those having vague 2021 windows doesn't really tell us too much of consequence, and I feel like a smarter move would have been to save that news until later on down the line, when they were closer to release. The Deathloop trailer was cool, but even though we already have a date for that one, it didn't really feel like it got me more excited for the game? Oddworld Soulstorm wasn't really on my radar before, and again I felt like it was a showing for it which was just lacking in so many regards, but it being free in April for PS+ is pretty cool. 

Sifu's art style and hand-to-hand combat definitely caught my eye, and it's one I'll be keeping an eye on, but again, I really don't see the purpose of showing it here if it's nebulously set to arrive in 2021. I feel like taking a leaf out of Nintendo's book and having a short lead time from announcement to release, big titles aside (and this clearly isn't a big title, nor is it trying to be), would work in their favour here. COVID is still a factor in things, I don't see the point in February of saying a game will arrive at some nebulous point in the year, when we've already seen how quickly things can change. But maybe that's just me. 

Returnal still looks good, but like I said before, I really feel like it needs a longer showing to hook me in and better communicate the moment-to-moment gameplay. If this is what constitutes a deep dive, especially looking back at how they've previously defined a deep dive, well...it's a pretty shallow dive. Heck, game could probably benefit from a demo. 

And then there's Kena, which got delayed from being a Q1 title and got pushed all the way to August. It was great that we got to see it here, and see that it's clearly coming along, but showing a trailer here kind of suggested to me that it was much further along than an August release date. The delay doesn't bother me, it's understandable because of the times we're in, but this could have just as well been saved for, say, a potential State of Play in the summer and the delay could have been announced in the PS Blog, and I feel like it might've just come off a bit better. 

A little disappointed we didn't see any Ratchet & Clank here after we didn't really get much new footage with the release date a few weeks back, but there's still plenty of time to go until it releases in June, so there's no real rush. As soon as we saw Crash 4 open up the presentation my hope for seeing a bigger title releasing after June (such as footage for Horizon) kind of petered out. 

It's not a presentation I went into with high expectations, yet Yuffie and prettying up Final Fantasy VII Remake aside, I was still pretty disappointed, and on the whole, I do think it was a weak showing.

I'd score it a 6/10. 

Sign in to follow this