NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
Julius

State of Play (Thursday 25th February 2021 @ 22:00 GMT)

State of Play time! 

Time for another State of Play! This Thursday, a State of Play broadcast will serve up new updates and deep dives for 10 games coming to PS4 and PS5, including new game announcements and updates on some of the third-party and indie titles you last saw in June’s PS5 showcase. 

The show is clocking it at 30 minutes or so, give or take. Can’t wait to hear what you think! And a quick note: there won’t be PlayStation hardware or business-focused updates in this show. We’re focusing on great games set to come out in the months ahead.

Edited by Julius
  • Like 2

Pff...I was earlier with my post in the PS5 thread.

But sure, take the spotlight. GO AHEAD @Julius, IT'S ALL YOURS.

Edit: Never mind. I'm bad at numbers and increments of time.

Still...LOOK AT THIS THREAD PEOPLE. IT'S MADE BY JULIUS.

:p

Edited by drahkon
  • Haha 2

Sony after seeing all the Nintendo Direct hype last week...

LET'S JUMP ON THE TRAIN WHILE IT'S HOT!

1 minute ago, drahkon said:

Pff...I was earlier with my post in the PS5 thread.

But sure, take the spotlight. GO AHEAD @Julius, IT'S ALL YOURS.

*Looks at the time of the posts*

tumblr_pcwgzx74mc1wzvt9qo1_500.gifv

This is why I don't play Sonic games, because why would I want to go slower? :p

But anyway, jokes aside, quite looking forward to this (and fingers crossed not the only presentation we get this week). I know this year is pretty sparse in terms of first party plans at the moment, hopefully we get something more concrete on a rough window for Horizon though! And going off Jim's interview, likely confirmation of Ragnarok being next year instead. Oh, and fingers crossed for Kena news and the rest of the indies we're waiting on at the moment - if a new title is going to be a PS+ game next month, maybe they'll announce that here too? 

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Julius said:

*Looks at the time of the posts*

Yeah, I edited my post. No need to ridicule me further... :p

1 minute ago, Julius said:

I know this year is pretty sparse in terms of first party plans at the moment, hopefully we get something more concrete on a rough window for Horizon though! And going off Jim's interview, likely confirmation of Ragnarok being next year instead.

Aside from Ratchet & Clank: Rift Apart and Returnal we won't see anything 1st party. I'll be very surprised if they prove me wrong.

3 minutes ago, Julius said:

Oh, and fingers crossed for Kena news and the rest of the indies we're waiting on at the moment - if a new title is going to be a PS+ game next month, maybe they'll announce that here too? 

Kena has to be there. It's been too long :D

And PS+ games are announced the Wednesday before they're released, so we'll most likely get info on that tomorrow and not during the SoP.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, drahkon said:

Yeah, I edited my post. No need to ridicule me further... :p

:p

Aside from Ratchet & Clank: Rift Apart and Returnal we won't see anything 1st party. I'll be very surprised if they prove me wrong.

Kena has to be there. It's been too long. 

Don't...don't put this out there! No, you could totally be right though. Even if we're a little light on first party stuff, there's still plenty of third party stuff they could talk about in the coming months, at the very least NieR Replicant and Resident Evil Village. I'm not sure who has marketing deals for Mass Effect: Legendary Edition and LEGO Star Wars: The Skywalker Saga (I seem to remember like the latter was first shown at an Xbox event? But that was a while ago, so who knows at this point!), but it's plausible they could turn up here too. 

And then yeah, honestly, you could just fill the rest out with Kena news and some indie stuff. I think some gameplay of Returnal might be a great idea as someone not totally sold on that, and hey, more Ratchet being shown can't be a bad thing! Especially considering we didn't get a new trailer with the announcement of the release date before. Could be a good time to reiterate the news on Ratchet & Clank being free for all for a limited time, too, to get everyone onboard! 

And PS+ games are announced the Wednesday before they're released, so we'll most likely get info on that tomorrow and not during the SoP.

Yeah, you're probably right. Still, a great opportunity for them to double down and get the word out! Maybe even push Destruction All-Stars still being free through PS+ at the moment too? 

• Like 1

Here's my predictions (in no particular order)

Kena (release date trailer - probably "deep dive")
Little Devil Inside (gameplay trailer)
Goodbye Volcano High (release date trailer)
Oddworld: Soulstorm (release date trailer)
Resident Evil Village ("deep dive")
Returnal ("deep dive" with a dedicated SoP announcement)
Ratchet & Clank: Rift Apart ("deep dive")
Stray (gameplay trailer)
2 new indie game announcements (or just PS ports)

• Like 1

Looking forward to seeing Horizon Forbidden West, be interesting to see how different that looks compared to the original. A gameplay trailer should happen given they're saying it's coming out this year. Hopefully it isn't another CG trailer.

Also God of War footage for the same reasons as above, though obviously it's not actually coming out this year.

Hopefully Kena looks good, there's nothing on PS5 for me until Ratchet.

As for a big AAA reveal, trying to think what they have left... maybe Bloodborne 2? I assume there'll only be the one big game reveal, given it's too soon for Naughty Dog and Sucker Punch (not that that's stopped Sony in the past revealing things way too early)

Edited by Ronnie

4 minutes ago, Ronnie said:

Looking forward to seeing Horizon Forbidden West, be interesting to see how different that looks compared to the original. A gameplay trailer should happen given they're saying it's coming out this year. Hopefully it isn't another CG trailer.

Also God of War footage for the same reasons as above, though obviously it's not actually coming out this year.

Yeah, I'd like to see some Horizon footage too, though if it's not until late autumn or something, I could just as well see them holding off until the summer. 

I don't expect to see God of War just because of the likely delay, though if it is being pushed to next year, I feel now would be as good a time as any to share that with us. 

4 minutes ago, Ronnie said:

As for a big AAA reveal, trying to think what they have left... maybe Bloodborne 2? I assume there'll only be the one big game reveal, given it's too soon for Naughty Dog and Sucker Punch (not that that's stopped Sony in the past revealing things way too early)

Don't think we'd see something like Bloodborne II just because of Elden Ring, but in terms of other AAA stuff, it could be time for a Final Fantasy VII Remake PS5 upgrade/version to be revealed if that is on the way.

IF - and that is a massive if, hence the caps :p - the aim is to release XVI this year, with them saying we'd be getting an update in 2021 before, I don't think it's impossible that they might reveal an event with a short teaser here where we'll be seeing that update (like how they reintroduced Final Fantasy VII Remake ahead of E3 2019 in a State of Play). If it's not coming this year but by the end of the next FY (March 2022), which I think would be more likely just because of when Moonwalker drops, it's still possible they might have something to show, just because it's a flagship title and they'll want to have as reasonably long a marketing campaign as they can have. 

And heck, speaking of S-E, we're still waiting on Babylon's Fall, though given how long it's been since we last heard something, I wouldn't be surprised if it's been canned. And I think Athia is still a ways off. 

In terms of first party studios, only other thing I can really think of is Factions, TLOU2's multiplayer mode which got made its own game to give them enough time to realise both sides of it. And maybe some news on a TLOU2 upgrade? But other than that, I'm really not expecting much first party stuff beyond what we already know about. 

• Like 1

According to the Japanese stream description, the State of Play will feature two new titles. 

We will be broadcasting "State of Play" on Friday, February 26, from 7:00 a.m. Japan time. The program will last approximately 30 minutes and will focus on the 10 titles scheduled to be released on PlayStation®5 and PlayStation®4.

The program will feature the two new titles, as well as updates on titles from software manufacturers and indie developers that were unveiled at "The Future of Gaming," a PS5 video event broadcast in June 2020.

Please note that there will be no information on hardware or business updates in this broadcast. Please note that there will be no information on hardware or business updates in this broadcast. This broadcast will be about new titles scheduled to be released in the future.

This information is based on what was announced at State of Play. The titles to be sold may vary by country or region.
The trailer shown in this video is in English.
The software included in this video may contain scenes of violence and grotesque expressions.

32 minutes ago, Julius said:

the State of Play will feature two new titles. 

2 hours ago, drahkon said:

2 new indie game announcements

My prediction may come true :D

SF8MzIP.gif

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, drahkon said:

My prediction may come true :D

SF8MzIP.gif

Watch it be PS5 versions of Final Fantasy VII Remake and Death Stranding :laughing:

I'm hoping that TLOU2 gets some additional PS5 features announced too - 60 FPS would be nice. I've got a bunch of games ready to play including TLOU2, which I've held off on up til now.

A whole two new titles eh, take what we can get I guess! Hopefully one of them is a big AAA.

Here's hoping they show Silent Hill. But a 60 FPS Bloodborne patch would be excellent.

I'm desperate for news on Eldin Ring though - I'm not sure who the publisher is but with a decent marketing campaign I honestly think that game could become FromSoftware's biggest release (although I'm hoping it players more like Dark Souls / Bloodborne than Sekiro).

Edited by Goron_3

Looking forward to it. Think you've hit the nail on the head with your predictions @drahkon. Pretty much the games from the June State of Play last year that I'm expecting to turn up, maybe change Solar Ash for that Jett game as I know the team at Solar Ash was hiring recently so I wonder if its a coming a little later in the year. Likewise change RE Village as its not long since had its full unveiling. Perhaps a bit more of FF16 in its stead.

Expecting a good sized showing for Kena. Very curious to see it in action as its one of those games that looks fantastic but could also be too good to be true/style over substance. Likewise curious how Stray will look and play.

Not expecting a megaton drop here with the two new announcements which is fine as the release slate for the PS5 is looking good at the moment, especially with there still being PS4 titles playable through BC, so there's no need to give time to games that are going to be a year plus out just yet. Give the space to the games that are coming in the first half of this year, follow up by highlighting smaller indie games through their blog posts that they've done recently and then showcase the bigger games when they're ready.

Roll on tomorrow. As a big indie game fan, I'm looking forward to getting some date for some of those games shown last year (and Disco Elysium: The Final Cut but I'm not expecting that here).

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Ganepark32 said:

Not expecting a megaton drop here with the two new announcements which is fine as the release slate for the PS5 is looking good at the moment,

Yeah, pretty much.

I feel like Sony doesn't necessarily need to put out a State of Play right now given how PS5 will get a steady stream of games in the next few months.

Still, it's nice to have :D

1 hour ago, Julius said:

Watch it be PS5 versions of Final Fantasy VII Remake and Death Stranding :laughing:

Nah. One of the two "new" games is Hades. Mark my words :p

The other one...no clue. :D

• Like 1

Oh I'd love for it to be Hades. That bump in resolution for play on TV with all that gorgeous artwork? Yes please! Plus, I left my copy behind when I sold my Switch Lite last September in prep for my PS5 purchase and I've been itching to play again so its an easy sell for me. Shadow drop it tomorrow night and that'll be my Friday sorted :grin:

I did remember that GTA5 was shown last year for coming to PS5 and had the horrible thought: they're gonna spend several minutes on it talking about new content for the online aren't they...... ugh.

It is nice to have a State of Play where it doesn't feel like its necessary to have one. Even if there's no megaton, a slew of dates for indie/third party titles is always a boon on top of a solid first and third party line up thats already got dates.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Ganepark32 said:

Even if there's no megaton, a slew of dates for indie/third party titles is always a boon on top of a solid first and third party line up thats already got dates.

Be sure to expect people being majorly disappointed 'cause they expected a myriad of 1st party game news. :p

24 minutes ago, Ganepark32 said:

I did remember that GTA5 was shown last year for coming to PS5 and had the horrible thought: they're gonna spend several minutes on it talking about new content for the online aren't they...... ugh.

Totally forgot about GTA 5.

Gonna switch Stray with GTA 5, then.
Edit: With the new Returnal trailer coming out today I'll replace it with Destruction AllStars.

Kena (release date trailer - probably "deep dive")
Little Devil Inside (gameplay trailer)
Goodbye Volcano High (release date trailer)
Oddworld: Soulstorm (release date trailer)
Resident Evil Village ("deep dive")
Destruction AllStars (something, something, what the future holds for this game)
Ratchet & Clank: Rift Apart ("deep dive")
GTA 5 (online mode BS :p)
2 new indie game announcements (or just PS ports definitely PS ports, one of which is Hades)

Edited by drahkon

25 minutes ago, drahkon said:

Nah. One of the two "new" games is Hades. Mark my words :p

The other one...no clue. :D

That's a great shout. I've been putting it off picking it up on Switch just because I've got so much to play anyways, but the option to have it available elsewhere is always a welcome one! 

15 minutes ago, Ganepark32 said:

It is nice to have a State of Play where it doesn't feel like its necessary to have one. Even if there's no megaton, a slew of dates for indie/third party titles is always a boon on top of a solid first and third party line up thats already got dates.

Oh man, I had just managed to forget just how poorly timed that trailer was too. I could totally see GTA V turning up here now that you mention it... :blank:

And yeah, totally agree, for me it feels pretty low stakes because I have so much I'm already looking forward to, but I'd love to be surprised. Definitely doesn't have the pressure last week's Nintendo Direct had on it with such a long gap and not much known about the next few months. 

I know @Ronnie wants more of a reason to be excited for the next few months on his PS5, but personally, for me it's pretty stacked with just third party stuff (NieR Replicant, Mass Effect Legendary Edition) and me having a good list of games I want to play anyways (though I do hope there's something he comes away excited for from this SoP!). Add the fact that I have a Switch in there too and I'm up to my neck in stuff I'm looking forward to, it's hard to not feel spoilt sometimes. 

22 minutes ago, drahkon said:

Totally forgot about GTA 5.

Gonna switch Stray with GTA 5, then:

giphy.gif

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, Julius said:

I know @Ronnie wants more of a reason to be excited for the next few months on his PS5, but personally, for me it's pretty stacked with just third party stuff (NieR Replicant, Mass Effect Legendary Edition)

Yeah maybe it comes down to taste, talking specifically about PS5 exclusives it's really just Ratchet and Horizon this whole year for me, but I'll definitely play Mass Effect and LEGO Star Wars. Hopefully Kena lives up to the hype, looking forward to seeing more of that tomorrow. 

39 minutes ago, Ronnie said:

Yeah maybe it comes down to taste, talking specifically about PS5 exclusives it's really just Ratchet and Horizon this whole year for me, but I'll definitely play Mass Effect and LEGO Star Wars. Hopefully Kena lives up to the hype, looking forward to seeing more of that tomorrow. 

You should consider the Nioh remasters. Not quite to the level of Dark Souls / Bloodborne but a terrific attempt at producing a game inspired by them.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Goron_3 said:

You should consider the Nioh remasters. Not quite to the level of Dark Souls / Bloodborne but a terrific attempt at producing a game inspired by them.

Thanks will have a look!

Sign in to follow this