NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
Glen-i

GQTDM: #5 Is Shiver Star Earth?

Kirby 64's Shiver Star... Is it Earth?  

7 members have voted

This poll is closed to new votes
  1. 1. Kirby 64's Shiver Star... Is it Earth?

• Yes
    • No

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 03/01/21 at 12:00 AM

This is Gaming Questions That Don't Matter. My attempt at getting clarity in the almost infinite expanse of my head when it comes to the conundrums that most definitely will not get an official answer.

This week, I'm focusing on the Kirby series, which, to be honest, is quite thorough with it's lore management. Ever since Kirby's Adventure Wii, there's been a steady building of the Kirby universe which had left me with almost no questions that I can confidently say won't get an answer in the future.

The key word there is "almost".

There is one thing that's puzzled me ever since I played Kirby 64.

bfIfpCp_d.webp?maxwidth=640&shape=thumb&

This is Shiver Star, it's level 5 of the game, don't you know? And it's your typical icy world that you see in most platformers. Except for when it becomes a factory based world. That's kinda weird. And then Kirby fights a giant mech.

pWYNOTw_d.webp?maxwidth=640&shape=thumb&

That just screams "Ice World", doesn't it? According to the Japanese Nintendo website, Shiver Star was once inhabited, but those inhabitants moved away for some reason, leaving behind buildings and factories that still function when Kirby rolls in.

Anyway, look back at the first picture I posted again. Maybe I'm seeing things, but I'm getting the strangest hint of what looks like America on that planet.

I think I've spelt it out at this point, so I'll cut to the chase.

Is Shiver Star actually the planet Earth some time in the future as it's going through some kind of Ice Age?

Edited by Glen-i
  • Like 1

Sounds legit. Climate change will freeze us all.

Or, this earth got knocked off the solar system (possibly on purpose, to deal with an expanding sun), which would also freeze it, eventually

• Like 1

No.
Shiver Star does not exist. Neither does the Kirby franchise.

XeETiOJ.jpg

It's Kirbo. No one can tell me otherwise.

Spoiler

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1

Yes, it's Earth. However, only the surface is frozen and marine life continued to evolve - especially in pockets where oil was being mined and continued to leak into the ocean. When the Earth de-thawed, the marine life then moved to the surface and became focused on competitions involving ink. 

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Jonnas said:

Sounds legit. Climate change will freeze us all.

Or, this earth got knocked off the solar system (possibly on purpose, to deal with an expanding sun), which would also freeze it, eventually

Oooh. That's an interesting take on it. The Kirby games are not shy about radically shifting/reshaping planets for all sorts of reasons.

1 hour ago, Cube said:

Yes, it's Earth. However, only the surface is frozen and marine life continued to evolve - especially in pockets where oil was being mined and continued to leak into the ocean. When the Earth de-thawed, the marine life then moved to the surface and became focused on competitions involving ink. 

Real talk though, Kirby universe can't be the same as that one, because Shiver Star's inhabitants moved away somewhere, while I think we all know what happened to the other version.

Pretty unanimous, huh?

Nice to see most people agree with me for once.

Sign in to follow this