NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
Dcubed

Dinosaur Planet N64 Build has leaked!!

OH MY GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOODDDDDDDDDD!!!!!!!!!!!!

EuqpvmQUcAAsLh9?format=png&name=small

Euqpxq_VgAc7uAc?format=jpg&name=orig

EuqpwsrUcAU0beb?format=jpg&name=orig

EuqpykFVgAMdztJ?format=jpg&name=medium

THE HOLY GRAIL HAS LEAKED!! :bouncy:

I can't believe that Fox was actually added into the game before it got ported to GCN!!!

BTW: I can confirm that it DOES indeed run on real hardware via an Everdrive (requires Expansion Pak though - making it one of only 4 N64 games to ever need one).

Edited by Dcubed
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 2

Hopefully it can be adapted to run on emulators a bit better, it runs but not well. It also sounds like the end of the game isn't quite working (even on original hardware).

I'm curious as to just how different it is. Also, will a version of Twelve Tales: Conker 64 be found some day?

Why does Fox have the face of an old man, the body of a young man and the hand of a telenovella star that can slap faces like nobody's business?

• Haha 2

16 minutes ago, Cube said:

Hopefully it can be adapted to run on emulators a bit better, it runs but not well. It also sounds like the end of the game isn't quite working (even on original hardware).

I'm curious as to just how different it is. Also, will a version of Twelve Tales: Conker 64 be found some day?

Rare still have their in-development builds of Twelve Tales...

They also have various builds of Project Dream (SNES and N64) and Banjo Kazooie floating around in their offices...

On that matter... Capcom (amazingly enough!) still have the N64 build of Resident Evil Zero!

So leaks of all of these are very possible one day!

• Like 2

Messed around a little bit with it, interesting how Sabre's icon is used and other characters call him by that name. Can't really play it properly on an emulator, but I'm wondering if at this point all they've done is added Fox's model and voice lines and not altered anything else at this point.

Also, is Krystal voiced by Jo Dark in this?

Edit: Apparently she voiced her in the final version as well, but with a very different voice because for some reason they had all the lines redone for the GameCube version with an American accent. 

Also, the Sabre voice actor voiced Fox, so it would only be lines talking about himself that would be replaced, so definitely seems like they've only just made the change by this version. 

Just played it on my N64 via everdrive. 20 years I waited to play it. Was so hyped for this game back in the day with the previews in N64 magazine.

Looks and sounds fantastic for an N64 game. Wouldn't expect anything less from Rare.

Unfortunately it crashed on me just as I was starting with Sabre. Didn't save beforehand either....

I see Resident Evil 0 and Twelve Tales being mentioned but what about the N64 version of Eternal Darkness?

• Like 1

Seems that Cape Claw is as far as you can get in this build without hacking?

From what I’ve seen of this build, it is a VERY different game from the final GCN version.  The level design is completely different, the game & event structure is totally different as well.

Outside of a few set pieces & minigames (like the speeder bike chase & the Shop), and the overall basic setting? basically everything is different!

Krystal & Sabre are both playable and you swap between the two throughout the game! Sabre has Tricky (who is generally similar to his SFA counterpart); while Krystal has her own partner (who is a pterodactyl).

So yeah, this game REALLY changed drastically when it was moved over to the Cube!

Really cool interview with Kevin Bayliss, the lead artist on Dinosaur Planet/Star Fox Adventures...

https://www.videogameschronicle.com/features/opinion/dinosaur-planet-leak/amp/?__twitter_impression=true

Some choice excerpts...

The main character was originally going to be – believe it or not – Timber, the cute tiger from Diddy Kong Racing. That’s because he was intended to be the star of the previous year’s racing game, when it was originally known as R.C. Pro-Am 64.

“In Dinosaur Planet, Timber was going to be a ‘time-travelling tiger’ with a rucksack, little fingerless gloves, a baseball cap and a small dinosaur for a sidekick.”

However, due to a last-minute rebrand which saw Diddy take pole position as the main character, Timber had to accept second place and never really made the leading role. I wasn’t too disappointed about this, to be honest, because luckily Diddy was also my character design too. In fact, I was quite excited to have a game coming out which was pretty much named after him as the main man!

Apparently, NCL were very impressed with what they had seen of the game and so during the show we met and discussed the possibility of a ‘marriage’ between the “Star Fox” and “Dinosaur Planet” IPs to create something really special. The idea was to create Star Fox Adventures: Dinosaur Planet (as it was initially known) for the N64, but of course we eventually ended up transferring to GameCube as that platform released.

I thought this was amazing at the time, although I was also concerned about how we were going to make the story work with the existing characters from the already established Star Fox series. This apprehension remained when I got back to Rare following the show, but [co-founder] Tim Stamper reassured me that it would be fine and we’d work it out.

Edited by Dcubed

50 minutes ago, Dcubed said:

Really cool interview with Kevin Bayliss, the lead artist on Dinosaur Planet/Star Fox Adventures...

See, that's really cool and all, but now I'm just wondering if Timber always had these time travelling powers?

Does he actually come from an apocalyptic future where Wizpig rules the world with an iron fist, which forced him to use said powers to go back in time and enlist Diddy, Banjo and Conker to help change history... By method of light-hearted races, because that solves everything, apparently.

Although this would defo lend credence to the whole "Tricky from Diddy Kong Racing is descended from Tricky from Star Fox Adventures" thing.

These are all very important questions.

Edited by Glen-i

54 minutes ago, Glen-i said:

See, that's really cool and all, but now I'm just wondering if Timber always had these time travelling powers?

Does he actually come from an apocalyptic future where Wizpig rules the world with an iron fist, which forced him to use said powers to go back in time and enlist Diddy, Banjo and Conker to help change history... By method of light-hearted races, because that solves everything, apparently.

Although this would defo lend credence to the whole "Tricky from Diddy Kong Racing is descended from Tricky from Star Fox Adventures" thing.

These are all very important questions.

Whelp! That's the next GQTDM thread sorted then!

• Haha 1

Wait, Starfox Adventures and DKR potentially take place in the same planet? Dang, what a shared universe.

For those not playing it, here's a pretty cool comparison vid to enjoy on your next tea break:

• Thanks 2

That video is half an hour long. If that's how long you're taking on your tea breaks I'm telling 😋

But cheers, will check it out. 

• Haha 2

Wow. I remember downloading that wallpaper. Maybe I still have it somewhere on my (even) old(er) computer.

18 minutes ago, Ashley said:

That video is half an hour long. If that's how long you're taking on your tea breaks I'm telling 😋

Why can't you zip it and let me enjoy these little pleasures of working from home! :p 

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, darksnowman said:

For those not playing it, here's a pretty cool comparison vid to enjoy on your next tea break.

I gave it a watch yesterday evening and really enjoyed it. So much so that I was half tempted to break the old GameCube out and fire up Starfox Adventures. Crazy how good that game still looks.

37 minutes ago, Hero-of-Time said:

I gave it a watch yesterday evening and really enjoyed it. So much so that I was half tempted to break the old GameCube out and fire up Starfox Adventures. Crazy how good that game still looks.

It's bonkers to think that it came out so early in the GCN's life as well! It's absolutely best in class on BOTH consoles it was built for! :hehe:

Oldschool Rare's engineers really were second to none.

Edited by Dcubed

6 minutes ago, Dcubed said:

It's bonkers to think that it came out so early in the GCN's life as well! It's absolutely best in class on BOTH consoles it was built for! :hehe:

Oldschool Rare's engineers really were second to none.

Yup. It’s one of many reasons why they will always be better than Retro Studios, no matter what others may say.

1 minute ago, Hero-of-Time said:

Yup. It’s one of many reasons why they will always be better than Retro Studios, no matter what others may say.

To be honest? I'd put 90s Rare over just about anyone; perhaps even Nintendo EAD themselves.

They were just absolutely untouchable.  90s Rare is the best developer this industry has ever seen, and probably will ever see.  Their falling apart is the biggest tragedy this industry ever saw.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Dcubed said:

Their falling apart is the biggest tragedy this industry ever saw.

I used to think exactly the same thing, until I played Sea of Thieves! :o 

Their story clearly isn’t over yet, I reckon Rare could be very much on the road to recovery actually. Guess we’ll have a better idea once Everwild arrives, but something tells me that SoT marks the start of a comeback. :)

8 minutes ago, RedShell said:

Their story clearly isn’t over yet, I reckon Rare could be very much on the road to recovery actually. Guess we’ll have a better idea once Everwild arrives, but something tells me that SoT marks the start of a comeback. :)

Rare are definitely on the up & up ever since the big rebrand back in 2015.  They are a completely different company than what they were back in their glory days though...

... that's not necessarily a bad thing mind you.  But the Rare of today basically shares no relation to the Rare we used to know and love.  90s Rare could never make something like Everwild for instance (which is such a nebulous concept that even its designers have no idea what it is :laughing:); while today's Rare could never make Perfect Dark (as evidenced by the fact that someone else is making the new Perfect Dark!)

That's fine though.  I'm ok with that.  I'd much rather see Rare try to forge a new path forward than try and recapture their former glory days.  90s Rare is never coming back and I came to accept that a long time ago.  I'm just glad to see something good finally start to rise from its ashes, be it Playtonic, be it modern day Rare or be it the myriad of Rare IPs being licensed out to other developers now .  There's some good stuff on the horizon now; and after so many years of failed attempts to recapture old glory and watching Rare being trapped in the Kinect Dungeon? I'm really glad to see that :) 

Edited by Dcubed
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, RedShell said:

Did you ever play Viva Piñata? It’s easily some of Rare’s finest work since they left Nintendo. Seems like a game you would enjoy as well.

• Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, Hero-of-Time said:

Did you ever play Viva Piñata? It’s easily some of Rare’s finest work since they left Nintendo. Seems like a game you would enjoy as well.

Funnily enough, Viva Piñata actually started development in 2001-2002, before the Microsoft buyout! (Was originally being designed for Pocket PC with touch screen controls, before eventually moving to Xbox, then finally Xbox 360; and then eventually coming full circle on the DS with Pocket Paradise).  It was the last Rare game to be released that went through the Nintendo-Microsoft transition period.

Viva Piñata is a decent little game; though personally I think that Grabbed by the Ghoulies is their best post-Nintendo game.  I only played it for the first time recently and ended up absolutely loving it!  Very, very underrated and misunderstood game.

It's Mr Pants and Sabrewulf GBA are also pretty great.  Definitely the best handheld games that Rare ever made; too bad that almost nobody has actually played them.  Real hidden gems for the GBA they are.

But yeah, I agree that Redshell would like Viva Piñata.  I reckon he'd probably enjoy GBTG even more though ;) 

Edited by Dcubed
  • Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, Hero-of-Time said:

I haven’t, no. Will keep that in mind for a rainy day then. :) 

I tried multiple times to get on with GBTG. I bought it on the original Xbox when it was first released and didn’t really care for it. I then tried a few times on Rare Replay but it still wasn’t for me.

In terms of their handheld games, I loved the Banjo game that was released on the GBA. It was a nice little companion piece to the bigger N64 games.

Sign in to follow this