NEurope
Julius

Splatoon 3 (9th September 2022)

Once more unto the ink, dear friends, once more. 

Edited by Julius

Hopefully they continue what they did with Splatoon 2 Octo Expansion and make Splatoon 3 an amazing game even if you don't touch online. It was an amazing singleplayer campaign.

Yeah, I hope they improve story mode and the co-op mode. But looking forward to it regardless.

I always wanted to get the Octo Expansion for 2 but never pulled the trigger. Hopefully this game will have a decent single player mode or I’ll just have to get the DLC. I just never played the second one enough to warrant a purchase of this just for online. 

So I guess the fact this thread didn’t get a bump after the direct is pretty telling. :hehe: But is anybody hyped for Splatoon 3?

I have to say I’m really not. Don’t see any need for another entry in the series on the current Switch either, I mean there’s a perfectly fine Splatoon game available already.

Gives me the impression that Nintendo is really running low on new ideas, which is worrying. :hmm: 

I just think there wasn't much shown off yesterday to warrant much discussion. The new Salmon Run looks fun but I'm in this for the single player story mode really. I'm sure we'll get a Splatoon 3 Direct closer the time.

Well they only really showed Salmon Run which doesn't look too different.

For me it depends on how many are planning to pick it up, I only really played Splatoon 2 online.

September 9th!

INKoming! Splatoon 3 splashes down on Nintendo Switch September 9th! Get an early look at the game with this fresh Turf War gameplay!

Good to get this out there as quickly as they have after Xenoblade got bumped up to July last week. Does seem like they've just swapped places, seeing as this was originally due in the summer and Xenoblade in September. 

Octo Expansion DLC for Splatoon 2 is also now going to be included in the Expansion Pack:

That's looking a better and better deal with each bit of DLC added, even if I am the type to just buy it separately outright :p

Edited by Julius
  • Thanks 1

I'm really hoping the singleplayer for 3 is as good as the Octo Expansion. also, the Octo Expansion fully deserves a physical release. 

It's a bit worrying that what they have shown so far could just as well have been DLC for Splatoon 2.

• Like 1

Called it.  Xenoblade 3 and Splatoon 3 basically exchanged release slots because Splatoon 3 wasn't ready in time.

17 minutes ago, Dufniall said:

It's a bit worrying that what they have shown so far could just as well have been DLC for Splatoon 2.

Agreed.  Splatoon 3 is basically just glorified DLC for Splatoon 2; there's literally nothing new here mechanically that hasn't been done before.  Very disappointing.

I have no idea why Nintendo is releasing this on the current Switch instead of just waiting for Switch 2 in that case (where it would at least serve a purpose).  It's not going to sell nearly as well as Splatoon 2 now; since this is a largely redundant release.

Edited by Dcubed
  • Like 1

Ok the Online Expansion pass is fast approaching a bargain now.

41 minutes ago, Dcubed said:

Called it.  Xenoblade 3 and Splatoon 3 basically exchanged release slots because Splatoon 3 wasn't ready in time.

They were never going to release in the same month. You said something must have gone ‘horribly wrong’ with Splatoon 3’s development. In reality I suspect Nintendo just think they’ll sell more this way around tbh.

I’ll wait for more info about the game before saying there’s nothing new about it…

9 minutes ago, Ronnie said:

Ok the Online Expansion pass is fast approaching a bargain now.

They were never going to release in the same month. You said something must have gone ‘horribly wrong’ with Splatoon 3’s development. In reality I suspect Nintendo just think they’ll sell more this way around tbh.

I’ll wait for more info about the game before saying there’s nothing new about it…

It's obvious that Splatoon 3 was always originally meant to be released in July.  All of the previous Splatoon games were summer releases; it doesn't take a genius to work out when Splatoon 3 was supposed to come out originally.

Game wasn't going to be ready in time, so they delayed the game and pulled Xenoblade 3 forward to fill the gap.  Simple.

I never bought the Splatoon 2 DLC so that's a nice bonus.

Age of Calamity DLC next, please Nintendo?

14 hours ago, Ike said:

I never bought the Splatoon 2 DLC so that's a nice bonus.

Age of Calamity DLC next, please Nintendo?

I get the feeling that the Expansion Pack will only include DLC for games made by Nintendo's internal studios & closest affiliates (EPD, Monolith, NLG, Intelligent Systems etc); so that would count out any of the Warriors games.

Of course I could be wrong, but that's what my gut is telling me (and my gut is almost always right ;) )

Edited by Dcubed

Nice!

I do hope that there is a significant single player campaign, like the expansion for S2.
Yes, I'm one of those weird people who primarily play Splatoon for single player.
That's not to say I'm bad at Splatoon (which I am) or that I'm not a valuable teammember (which I'm not).
Still, there is an significant amount of lore...

Splatoon 3 will be getting an OLED model releasing 26th August, as well as a Pro Controller and carrying case releasing on 9th September:

Edited by Julius
  • Like 2

A free demo is going to be available on Saturday 27th August ahead of the game's full release next month; a tutorial and some other features will be available from the 25th in order to get ready. 

Edited by Julius

I played the Splatfest for an hour this morning. It's as though I've never been away from the game. :D 

FbJ9UfvagAABZ3i?format=jpg&name=large

FbJ9UfhaMAANKHI?format=jpg&name=large

FbJ9UfpaAAAsW2V?format=jpg&name=large

Like darksnowman, I picked Team Rock mainly because...

The Rock Entrance GIF - The Rock Entrance Wwe Champion GIFs

I'm a big fan of the Museum stage. Holding that middle section is key. Once that is secured you can move to the next high point and hold the map from there. Really enjoyed my short time with it so far.

I love the style, music, controls and graphics of Splatoon but can never really get into the game itself - not being a fan of online shooters or playing online in general is bound to do that lol.

But because of liking the aforementioned stuff I decided to give the splatfest a go, again digging the hub world and the miiverse type posts, and the style is on point again, but I wasnt feeling the first minute of an online game before I got a connection error lol. Then I got another and gave up as I had work. Shame it's only for one day. 

Unsurprisingly then it hasn't really changed my mind on the game. I do remember enjoying the 1 player aspect on WiiU. I'd be tempted to try the single player of Splatoon 2 and this but have heard it can be limited so if I do try any it will likely be 2 and the Octo expansion 

I was on paper. Mostly because I just like yellow. The wins and losses were pretty much half and half. Was fun for sure.

Splatoon day people! My order arrived today, looking forward to jump in as soon as the baby is in bed. I'm on holiday next week with no/bad WiFi so for the remainder of the week I guess it's single player time.