NEurope
Julius

The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword HD

The amiibo has been hit by some unforeseen shipping delays, apparently:

“The Zelda & Loftwing amiibo figure is currently impacted by unforeseen shipping delays. As a result, only a small portion of the Zelda & Loftwing will be available on its scheduled July 16 launch date. Additional shipments are delayed until August. We will ship additional amiibo to retailers as soon as they arrive.”

Mine was shipped by the official Nintendo store yesterday so woohoo for me. Any want it for £500. 😂 

I’m not really selling but I bet we see extortionate prices the coming days. 

Played it for a few hours already lol. Never played before, seems great so far, no complaints! I also laughed when...

Spoiler

I saw Link's face on Groose's punchbag, and the whole chandelier smashing thing lol xD

• Like 1

My order arrived earlier, I really like the new boxes the UK store are using - although you're right that they're too big. The joy cons look great, it'll probably be a while before I try them out (want to play through Mario Golf before I fire up Skyward Sword)

• Like 3

Hey all, does anyone know what it means when that smurf woman says "You are XX% prepared for this area?". Is it telling me that there are more pieces of heart, weapons, bottles etc I can still find at this point before proceeding? Or is it just telling me how full my inventory or health is or something?

10 minutes ago, Sckewi said:

Hey all, does anyone know what it means when that smurf woman says "You are XX% prepared for this area?". Is it telling me that there are more pieces of heart, weapons, bottles etc I can still find at this point before proceeding? Or is it just telling me how full my inventory or health is or something?

It means nothing.

That's kinda Fi's deal. Constantly mentioning the percentage chance of something.

• Thanks 1

Have to say, I'm very impressed with the traditional controls in this game. Having the sword on the right stick works so well and is very intuitive. My only complaint is that it can be a bit awkward moving the camera while holding L.

The motion controls have impressed me as well - they feel much better than the WiiMotion+. If finding the Joy-Con is able to replicate my movements very accurately, the curser is smooth when required and it is blindingly quick to recalibrate when tapping Y. 

I'm halfway through the first temple and absolutely loving it. Such a far cry from BOTW but still a superb "traditional" Zelda game. Movement, climbing and jumping off ledges feels a bit janky after BOTW, but the swordplay is so much fun, so I'm happy to ignore it. Graphically, the game looks much better than I had expected. A really lovely HD update. 60fps feels great and everything is just lovely and smooth. Kinda disappointing that the watercolour effect, especially for stuff far in the background, has been vastly reduced, which kind of makes the game lose a fraction of the charm it had back on the Wii. 

Very pleased I picked this up. 

Edited by Nicktendo
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Amiibo arrived today :)

GameStop said there was a delay in it so wasn't expecting till next week.

Got the game a day early from Smyths and this a day late so I guess that balances it out

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

I've had a preorder in since February with ShopTo..  and it still hasn't arrived!

Tracking information suggests Monday at the earliest.

It's a real shame as they have been great with me in the past (Tony Hawk's Pro Skater on Switch arrived a day early :hehe: ) but I've been really looking forward to this!

On the plus side, I should get a £5 voucher with them to use on something else since it didn't make it on release day :smile:

Maybe use it on eShop credit or something!

Well I've just completed the forest temple and at this point I've enjoyed every minute so far. I don't get why this game is so divisive? It's a Zelda game that plays like a Zelda game and it's great fun! xD

• Like 1

4 hours ago, nekunando said:

I've had a preorder in since February with ShopTo..  and it still hasn't arrived!

Tracking information suggests Monday at the earliest.

It's a real shame as they have been great with me in the past (Tony Hawk's Pro Skater on Switch arrived a day early :hehe: ) but I've been really looking forward to this!

On the plus side, I should get a £5 voucher with them to use on something else since it didn't make it on release day :smile:

Maybe use it on eShop credit or something!

Yeah, mine didn’t arrive until today. Shipped Wednesday 48 hours delivery.

The Amiibo shipped Thursday and arrived on Friday. :wtf:

40 minutes ago, Sckewi said:

Well I've just completed the forest temple and at this point I've enjoyed every minute so far. I don't get why this game is so divisive? It's a Zelda game that plays like a Zelda game and it's great fun! xD

Because motion controls = unplayable to a lot of people. When in reality, there's a learning curve to figuring out that it's a set of inputs to work with.

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, Sckewi said:

I remember loving it at the time, but it's basically the antithesis of the original Legend of Zelda on the NES, very linear with barely any exploration. Areas to visit accessible by a menu screen etc. I prefer the more exploratory aspect of Zelda.

But generally speaking it's the motion controls that most people have a problem with I think. I don't remember them bothering me at all.

• Like 2

Little hint for early in-game Rupees. Best I can tell Bamboo Island is the fastest way to farm Rupees. I'm sure there are better ways later in the game but if you want to upgrade all your stuff as much as you can early on this worked for me.

I tried just roaming around collecting Rupees the old fashioned way (including digging around the volcano), and playing that other minesweeper-like minigame, and in the end Bamboo Island's minigame was the fastest. I managed to get from 300 to 1400 Rupees in about 20 mins this way.

Just repeatedly play the minigame, pay the 10 rupees, spam the B button to get past the dialog quickly, and do about 8 upward slices, then rightward or leftward slices until you're between 15-19 slices. Spam the dialog again, earn 30 Rupees (or 20 profit), and repeat.

Also, if anyone else is new to this game, Seed Satchels and Bomb Bags are repeat-buyable. I kept buying them thinking at some point I would hit some kind of maximum (like 3) lol xD. You can sell them at the place where you store stuff though.

Edited by Sckewi

On 16/07/2021 at 11:55 AM, BowserBasher said:

It’s so awesome. 

The extra space in the box is for this amiibo:

The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword - Part 30: Cawlin's ...

But they forgot to make it. :(

• Haha 1
  • Weird 1

So now that I’ve finished Dicey Dungeons, I’ve started SSHD and have just finished Skyview Temple… So far? I’m very happy with the port!

The motion controls are exactly the same as the original Wii version; they haven’t unnecessarily mucked around with them in any way, which is great! Only issue is that you need to recalibrate more often in this version than in the original, but without a sensor bar in place? That was inevitable.

60FPS is very weird to see in a 3D Zelda game, but it feels fantastic! And there’s no weird animation/physics bugs or any wonkiness that I’ve noticed (which is a common occurrence when increasing the frame rate of a game that was originally designed for 30FPS).  Tantalus have done a great job in that regard!

The reduction in flow-stopping interruptions from Fi is appreciated… but it does also make the adventure also feel a bit lonely in some places.

One little oddity though is with the fast text option… There are certain cutscenes where it just flat out doesn’t work, and it can feel a bit arbitrary where and when it actually allows you to speed up text.  I’m guessing that this was blocked selectively in order to prevent cutscene animation/timing bugs?

The right stick camera is also implemented well; and doesn’t seem to cause any glitches with the original auto-camera either.  So far? Very well done!

Another little bonus is the loading times, which are much faster than the original version.  Much appreciated :) The 5.1 surround mix is also very good; and one of the best on the Switch! My surround setup is very pleased! (Especially after the disaster that was Xenoblade DE’s 2.0 stereo-only mix!!).

Overall? I’m very pleased with the port so far! It’s basically exactly what I wanted :D Only real wish that I have is that I wish that they made the watercolour stippling effect stronger, and my only real complaint is that they didn’t update the Wing Ceremony text to reference the Zelda 35th Anniversary (it still references the 25th).  Come on! How did you miss that trick!?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

30 minutes ago, Dcubed said:

..my only real complaint is that they didn’t update the Wing Ceremony text to reference the Zelda 35th Anniversary (it still references the 25th).  Come on! How did you miss that trick!?

I'm only an hour and a half in and everything has been faultless so far.. apart from that which I also noticed :grin:

I feel like the game is going to be exactly what I want it to be all over again!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I've done the first two temples, I then spent lots of time exploring and farming stuff to upgrade/purchase everything I could. Now I'm just exploring the desert.

Really enjoyed this a lot so far could be my personal game of the year (since I've never played it before :P).

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Dcubed said:

Only real wish that I have is that I wish that they made the watercolour stippling effect stronger

Yeah I noticed the effect seemed reduced, it's a shame as I loved the effect on Wii, gave the game a really unique look.

I'm enjoying this game so much! Now I want them to port EVERY ZELDA EVER to the Switch!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 23/07/2021 at 10:34 PM, Sckewi said:

I'm enjoying this game so much! Now I want them to port EVERY ZELDA EVER to the Switch!

How's it going with proving yourself to the character who needs you to prove yourself to the character who needs you to prove yourself by getting the three things that let you get another three things to prove yourself to the character who will vouch for you as (potentially) the hero to allow you to carry on with the chain of proving yourself by doing/ collecting three things by revisiting the three areas... and...? :p 

• Haha 1

Just bought a copy of this for £38.24, there is an eBay code valid at the moment...

'HAVE15' Gets you 15% off with selected sellers, Boss Deals is one of the sellers, they did have around 2,500 copies of this game, there are now around half that still available.

There are other games etc you could use the code on, but being that Nintendo games tend to stay at £45, saving nearly £7 on a Zelda title seems like a reasonably good deal.

I wasn't going to buy it this soon, but I saw someone playing it on a stream, the first time I'd seen any non-official footage of it, it certainly looks decent in HD.

• Like 1