NEurope
Julius

The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword HD

Just now, MindFreak said:

They just spent almost two minutes demonstrating this.... two minutes!

If it was a feature in the game, there would be less steps and be much quicker.

8 minutes ago, Cube said:

If it was a feature in the game, there would be less steps and be much quicker.

Indeed. Pull Fi - select "go to surface / sky" - voila.

16 hours ago, MindFreak said:

That's the magic of Fi for ya. 

18 minutes ago, darksnowman said:

That's the magic of Fi for ya. 

You know, she's surprisingly good at smack talk!

The amiibo went up for preorder on Shopto earlier this evening but is now sold out. It’s a tenner more expensive than other amiibo, with the price being £25. 

• Confused 1

12 hours ago, Hero-of-Time said:

The amiibo went up for preorder on Shopto earlier this evening but is now sold out. It’s a tenner more expensive than other amiibo, with the price being £25. 

Yeah, it's more expensive in every region (presumably because it's effectively two Amiibo figures in one).

It's the second most expensive Amiibo at RRP (The most expensive being Mega Yarn Yoshi; which was £30).

I've read that the Skyward Sword Link amiibo doesn't unlock the fast travel feature either. So, what we have here is a game feature that is locked behind a more expensive amiibo and that apparently doesn't unlock with any other Zelda amiibo. I can't help but think that if this was someone like EA or Ubisoft then more places would have been in an uproar. I feel this is a good example of when drahkon mentions the times Nintendo gets a free pass from many outlets, despite their actions.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

3 minutes ago, Hero-of-Time said:

I've read that the Skyward Sword Link amiibo doesn't unlock the fast travel feature either. So, what we have here is a game feature that is locked behind a more expensive amiibo and that apparently doesn't unlock with any other Zelda amiibo. I can't help but think that if this was someone like EA or Ubisoft then more places would have been in an uproar. I feel this is a good example of when drahkon mentions the times Nintendo gets a free pass from many outlets, despite their actions.

It's really anti-consumer. We've seen Nintendo lock important stuff before behind amiibo, like content in Splatoon when I recall there was a lack of content around launch. Honestly, Nintendo are right up there with some of the worst practices these days - top of the list being making the Mario 3D collection a limited-time release, even on the digital store.

15 minutes ago, Hero-of-Time said:

On top of that, this remaster is actually MORE expensive than the original release on Wii (AND the first shipments of the Wii game came with a 25th anniversary concert CD to boot!).

Edited by Dcubed

57 minutes ago, Dcubed said:

On top of that, this remaster is actually MORE expensive than the original release on Wii (AND the first shipments of the Wii game came with a 25th anniversary concert CD to boot!).

It is? That's retarded.

But I'm not going to buy it anyway. I forgot about the CD, I'll have to dig that up.

1 hour ago, Hero-of-Time said:

It's crazy. I want to play this game at some point, but paying effectively £25 for a QoL feature which would make it into most other remasters anyways is not something I really want to support. Something I'll have to think about, it's not like there are plenty of other Zelda games I haven't played yet! 

Nintendo gets the same pass as Disney in my eyes from most of their audience and can do no wrong. I get that many grew up with them and have an attachment to their IP - which is pretty much unrivalled across the industry in the sheer variety, quantity, and consistent quality - but I don't understand how overlooking such glaring issues does anyone any favours. ::shrug:

Like you mention, EA and Ubisoft would catch a lot of heat for something similar, and the fact that I can see the articles in my mind's eye in the event that PlayStation did something remotely similar to this tells you just how much bias there is out there for and against certain publishers/developers. 

1 hour ago, Sheikah said:

Honestly, Nintendo are right up there with some of the worst practices these days - top of the list being making the Mario 3D collection a limited-time release, even on the digital store.

This annoys me immensely, just for the comedic level of hubris it takes to pull this off.

Nearly 10 million copies sold in 6 months is something 99% of the industry will never achieve - it's the reason why we're seeing great teams over at Activision-Blizzard be sucked in and swallowed whole to become part of the Call of Duty pipeline - and they manage it with what many see as a bit of a half-arsed collection.

That they then pull that off the shelves when there's clearly the potential for it to sell at least 50% more over the lifetime of the Switch? Can you imagine if Avengers Endgame got pulled after its opening weekend? 

20 minutes ago, Julius said:

It's crazy. I want to play this game at some point, but paying effectively £25 for a QoL feature which would make it into most other remasters anyways is not something I really want to support.

You don't have to. Play the way the game's intended.

I had various annoyances with the game, but not being able to fly whenever wasn't one of them.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Sméagol said:

I had various annoyances with the game, but not being able to fly whenever wasn't one of them.

Sure, I'm just saying that a Quality of Life feature is one of those things that shouldn't be locked behind something like this. An outfit or something? Sure. But this seems a bit much; everyone's time is limited, and often QoL features like this go some way to speeding things up.

My question would be if this was intended to be part of the port originally and was moved over to the amiibo after, or if they constructed it with the amiibo in mind? My money would be on the former. 

It does me curious to see just how much it might change the game's pacing, as I've generally heard that Skyward Sword can get a bit long in the tooth at times. 

Yeah but you need to vote with your money, and apparently I wasn't clear: there's nothing QoL about it, you don't need it. I'd consider it a cheat, or a speedrunner's tool. If your time's too limited to play the game, play something shorter. Amiibos from a collector's viewpoint are mediocre anyway, so there's no reason to get it.

Edited by Sméagol

Nintendo could have enabled fast travel from any location in the original game, but they chose to limit it to certain points. It was a game design decision. A lot of modern games do the same.

This feels like they were scrambling to think of a use for amiibo functionality and settled on being able to fly from any point. It's like a cheat code. ::shrug: Who buys amiibo for in-game unlocks anyway let's be honest.

54 minutes ago, Sméagol said:

Better idea: don't buy the game, don't support Nintendo for doing this. It's not even that great a game, either. They want full price for it too!

TBH, what annoys me far more than any Amiibo shenanigans is the fact that Nintendo basically don’t make games like Skyward Sword at all anymore.

Skyward Sword is the last traditional 3D Zelda to be made for a home console (technically the last traditional Zelda was ALBW in 2013; so doing this makes it fit my narrative better ;) ); and it was the second last handcrafted action-adventure game that Nintendo made internally for a home console (the very last one being Pikmin 3).

Ever since Switch launched, Nintendo basically stopped making handcrafted action-adventure games altogether (Luigi’s Mansion 3 is the only one; so I guess that is now technically a fully internally developed game, since NLG were bought out!).

Skyward Sword is one of my favourite games and it’s exactly the kind of game I miss so very badly from Nintendo (and the industry all together).  So no, no silly Amiibo extras are going to influence my buying decision here.  I want Nintendo to go back to making handcrafted games like Skyward Sword again!

On 19/05/2021 at 1:28 PM, MindFreak said:

It was the repeated showing of the dialogue for each possible scenario that got me. Show it once and say "also works in x,y,z". 

43 minutes ago, Dcubed said:

Nintendo basically stopped making handcrafted action-adventure games altogether

Say what now? :hehe:

Pretty sure their games are still handcrafted. Unless of course all Nintendo staff have been replaced with robots/AI. :heh:

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

36 minutes ago, RedShell said:

Pretty sure their games are still handcrafted. Unless of course all Nintendo staff have been replaced with robots/AI. :heh:

I have it on good authority that this is how Breath of the Wild was created.

Bring Back the Green Loading Bar : minecraftsuggestions

53 minutes ago, RedShell said:

Haven't you seen the new generation?

NES-ROB.png

CI16_GCN_ChibiRobo_image950w.png

46 minutes ago, Sheikah said:

I have it on good authority that this is how Breath of the Wild was created.

Bring Back the Green Loading Bar : minecraftsuggestions

No way that long was spent on creature creation.

• Haha 3

The amiibo is now up on Amazon UK for anyone interested. Currently showing as £29.99. 

Edited by Julius
  • Thanks 1

That is how button only controls work. I wonder if you can mix and match of if it's entirely one or the other.

12 minutes ago, Cube said:
That is how button only controls work. I wonder if you can mix and match of if it's entirely one or the other.

Unless Switch Lites come with wrist straps I can't see them encouraging people to swing them around like Master Swords.