NEurope
Julius

The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword HD

Well, it's happening! Can be played through motion controls with Joy-Cons or on a controller with a new button layout. 

Joy-Cons landing the same day. 

Very surprised they're actually doing it, never thought they would be happy to compromise on the motion controls for handheld play but it looks like a good solution. 

I adored the game when it came out but haven't played through it since, guess I won't have to dust off my Wii to experience it again - coming right near my birthday too!

Will be nice to not have a blurry version. Hoping they tweak some other stuff as well.

Can’t believe it’s been 10 years, feels like launch day was more recent.

• Like 2

Hopefully some other tweaks to the game like a less bossy Fi and a less annoying low health sound.

Those JoyCons...perhaps it's just my colourblindness, but those colours to not go well together in the slightest.

3 minutes ago, Cube said:

Those JoyCons...perhaps it's just my colourblindness, but those colours to not go well together in the slightest.

Honestly, they don’t look that great.

Yeah, the colours don't look great. I'm still pretty tempted to pick them up, would be neat symmetry with the original releases gold wiimote but yeah, they aren't very attractive - should have just gone with gold again.

As I said in the other thread, me getting this depends entirely on whatever extras they add to this game. Traditional controls aren't enough, since I'll still prefer to swing my arms around when possible.

The joy cons look great to me, though. White and Blue make a great combo.

Apparently this is a full priced game. The Wii version is £17.99 on Wii U. Twilight Princess HD was £40 with an Amino. 

I hope there's some significant stuff for that price.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Cube said:

Apparently this is a full priced game. The Wii version is £17.99 on Wii U. Twilight Princess HD was £40 with an Amino. 

I hope there's some significant stuff for that price.

Yeah, I'm not all that surprised, it does seem like they've put a lot of effort into this, just from the fact that they have a new controller layout incorporated. As someone who hasn't played it before, personally I don't really mind and just want to play the game, but whether or not that will fly with those that have... ::shrug: and, I mean, rightly so. Ports are a part of every gen, but it does feel like Nintendo takes the mick a bit at times. 

I am interested to see what else they might have included in terms of new features though, any QoL improvements are always welcome! 

Interesting that they've chosen to port this over to the Switch. It's probably one of the weaker 3D Zelda titles in my eyes, even though I correctly guessed before reveal 2 of the major changes to the game (I'd said it should use a watercolour visual style and that they should take a leaf out of Darksiders book and do more open dungeons, though neither came off great due to the hardware limitations). It had some interesting ideas but it all felt very middle of the road.

Still, good on Nintendo (or whoever is porting it) for putting the effort in to giving a non-motion control setup. Its probably the best option they could have gone with, though they maybe could have just had the right stick change stance and keep your swords swings as a button press.

It'll also be interesting to finally see the HD version of this. IIRC, there was talk around the release and afterwards from people, including some at Nintendo themselves, that the game was developed in HD to start with and then ported down to the Wii so if that is true, then they've been sat on the HD version for some time.

Not a game I'm that fussed to replay (having to relight the Imprisoned over and over again is a no from me) but cool that its seeing new light. I'd have preferred Wind Waker HD be ported alongside Twilight Princess HD. Or even the rumours if the Oracle games getting a Link's Awakening style remake.

YAAAAAAAAAY! I never played Skyward Sword so this is great news!

And what's this? It turns out it's not necessary to force players to do a somersault IRL to make a character in a game do a somersault? You could just press a button? WHO KNEW?:D

Edited by Sckewi
splelling
  • Haha 2

I'm kinda concerned how they're gonna handle the Ghirahim fights with a stick...

Never completed Skyward Sword on the Wii.  It's nice they've finally added controls suitable for handheld, which they kind of had to for Switch Lite owners or those who prefer playing in handheld over docked mode (i know many people who do).  Wonder what else they've changed to the game this time around.

15 hours ago, Glen-i said:

I'm kinda concerned how they're gonna handle the Ghirahim fights with a stick...

Don't be :cheeky:

Play it with the glorious motion controls like God intended :grin:

• Like 1

7 hours ago, nekunando said:

Don't be :cheeky:

Play it with the glorious motion controls like God intended :grin:

See, that's all well and good, but then you realise that Joy-Cons are your method of swinging and it all falls apart because my Joy-Cons are buggered because of that damn stick drift.

Which means I don't really want to buy this version. My favourite Zelda game alongside Majora's Mask and I just don't want it.

5 hours ago, Glen-i said:

See, that's all well and good, but then you realise that Joy-Cons are your method of swinging and it all falls apart because my Joy-Cons are buggered because of that damn stick drift.

Which means I don't really want to buy this version. My favourite Zelda game alongside Majora's Mask and I just don't want it.

I'm definitely concerned about playing with the Joy-Cons too, but more so because I worry they will keep requiring recalibration more than with Wii Motion Plus.

I personally can't wait to play the game again so this was my highlight of the Direct!

I will certainly try out the stick controls for sword fighting to see how they translate but I feel like so much of the fun I had with Skyward Sword on Wii was due to the motion controls and therefore feel that some of the magic of the game is likely to be lost by playing without them..

• Thanks 1

In terms of motion controls? The Switch version should be just as good, if not a bit better than the Wii original (60 FPS will definitely make it feel better).

Stick drift is absolutely going to ruin the game if they have it enabled where you can’t turn the button controls off though.

Wouldn't have thought you would need to recalibrate any more, do you? I've not really used the motion controls much.

Downside of having the sword swings on the right stick is that you lose camera controls. Guessing you need to will need to hold a button down to switch or something.

9 hours ago, Glen-i said:

The Legend of Zelda Skyward Sword HD: With Drunk Link Mode

• Haha 2

I never played it on Wii as I was too invested in Boom Street at the time. I do generally love motion controls so I'm kinda interested but the art style hasn't grown on me in HD either - I thought it looked like a gross mix of Twilight Princess and Wind Waker while not being as good as either back then and I think the same now. 

5 hours ago, Dcubed said:

Stick drift is absolutely going to ruin the game if they have it enabled where you can’t turn the button controls off though.

Unless you can re-calibrate it on the fly like the MotionPlus, thus truly replicating the Wiimote experience.

Really hope people start giving this game the respect it deserves after this re-release.  It's a phenomenal game that gets absolutely no respect from anyone online and that drives me nuts!  It's one of the greatest games ever made and people talk about it as if it were one of the CDI Zeldas!

I doubt that people will really appreciate what it does (since nobody appreciates quality level design anymore; and this is level design: The Game), but I can still hope and dream? Right!?

The fact that it seems to be developed internally (unlike every other Zelda remake/remaster, aside from Wind Waker HD - which itself had its new textures outsourced anyway); at least seems to show that Nintendo do have some special reverence and respect for this particular game at least... which is nice to see.  It's at least a little gesture that shows that there's at least a bit of the old guard at Nintendo that still understands the true appeal of a great game.  I get that classic interconnected, quality level design & pacing is no longer appreciated in today's world and that today's big trend is massive "oh wow!" open worlds with nothing going on in them; but there's a small part of me that prays that SSHD becomes a success and shows that there's still room for games like this again.

I just hope that they don't muck around with the core gameplay too much to appease these idiots... all it really needs is some light QoL improvements/edits.  Things like speeding up the text/text skipping, reducing/removing Fi's interruptions, removing the constant badgering when picking up items etc.  All it needs is the same treatment that Wind Waker HD & Twilight Princess HD got; nothing more.

Edited by Dcubed
  • Like 4

They definitely don't need to mess about with one of the greatest Zelda games ever made :hehe: I'm already worried enough about how things may have been tweaked to accommodate button controls!

Hearing everyone on podcasts and YouTube videos talk so poorly about Skyward Sword actually hurts a little and makes me consider how irritating I must sound when I trash plenty of other games that people seem to love :red:

The linearity, area/dungeon designs and the wonderful motion controlled swordplay are all positives for the game to me but the trend these days seems to be open-ended games with massive overworlds that often bore me.

It'll be nice to have an actual 10/10 Zelda game on Switch after all this time :cheeky:

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3