NEurope
Julius

Mario Golf Super Rush (25th June 2021)

Nice round @nekunando I really should try motion controls more  

So I completed the main story and while it was fun it could have been so much more. I don’t think I bought nor used any of the extra clubs you could buy. The only one I did was the mushroom driver for spin. 

Right now I’m just going through the characters getting the Star Clubs unlocked then I’ll try for the even better ones. Seems like 3 or 4 18 hole rounds is enough to unlock the first set. Hopefully getting online with some of you will make it more fun. Playing against CPUs is just way too easy unless I’ve missed the difficulty setting. I’m always winning the round by 5+ shots at least and I’ve never seen one of them finish under par. 

Finally yay me. 

• Like 2

10 hours ago, BowserBasher said:

I think Waluigi is cheating

You think Waluigi is cheating? It's Waluigi! Of course he is!

That said, Flag Shots get the ball in the hole often then not.

Myself and @Glen-i will be playing some rounds of golf from 8pm onwards this evening. Anyone is welcome to jump in. 

Also just seen this awesome official trailer. 😂 

Edited by BowserBasher

2 hours ago, nekunando said:

I'm finding it difficult to accept that my life has already peaked..

Awesome shot. And yes, I don’t think you’ll get better. 
Here’s two of my favourite shots from our play session last night. 

And this shot from a play session today  Toad rules  

The game has its faults and I hope there will be some DLC to add new modes and courses. As well as fix a few things. For the love of golf, take the flag out when I’m putting. 
It’s a fun game in multiplayer online as we’ve been having some good game, though @Glen-i needs to sort his controller out 😆.

I have noticed that unlike past games all characters have the same shot. As in they just hit it straight, and you can ad curve. Previous games, each character had a trait to their swing and shots. Mario was usually straight but not as far as the rest, Bowser was power, but had a large fade shot. Some had low shots and some had higher shots. Where’s this kimd of thing in this game? It’s things like that that the previous games will still beat this one with. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, BowserBasher said:

Awesome shot. And yes, I don’t think you’ll get better. 
Here’s two of my favourite shots from our play session last night. 

And this shot from a play session today  Toad rules  

It’s a fun game in multiplayer online as we’ve been having some good game, though @Glen-i needs to sort his controller out 😆.

I swear! My controller has been perfectly fine for years! And then I introduced a second Pro Controller for split screen shenanigans and it suddenly starts dropping the signal! It's so weird!

Of course, it worked just great once I left that session.

@nekunando's hole-in-one looked bloody hilarious from our point of view! @Dcubed was just lining up his putt only to have a Mario ball rocket straight into the hole from the side of the screen!

I forgot to post my videos online, so that will have to wait.

Edited by Glen-i

So anyone who is gonna do the long grind for the second set of power star golf sets for all characters, I’ve found (or rather read) the best and quickest way to go about it. I’ve seen people say about doing one hole over and over restarting it but that no fun, but this way is. 
Speed golf, you and 3 CPU make sure special shots are on though, you need that for coins to show on the course. Now just play as normal but collect every coin you can, use your dash and special shots as much as possible to hit the CPU’s and have them drop coins. Then like Mario, pick em all up, this is key. The points towards the clubs are all based on how you play with birdies and eagles and the like, but also every coin gives you points too, I think i read like 10 per coin. So pick em all up and play the round as normal, finishing holes with birdies still nets you the 1st place most the times as the others usually take more shots. 
I just played a round like this with Bowser and took him from just over 2200 points to over 4000 points. Usually a normal 18 hole round will get me 200-300. 

Plus you can get moments like this. 

The credits rolled in the Golf Adventure mode last night.. and that's that for now, I guess..? ::shrug:

Mario Tennis Aces got a few extra little missions added on via DLC to the single player of that game but I had already been more than satisfied with what had already been provided at launch as it was 

With everyone else seemingly clamouring for a deeper RPG mode for Mario Golf Super Rush, I found myself expecting a similar experience to Aces.. and that would be more than fine with me :grin:

Unfortunately, what we got is a pretty below par adventure (and I use the term 'adventure' loosely.. and the term 'pretty' perhaps even more loosely :eek: The visuals can take a serious hit at times, particular in speed golf!)

When we say footage a few weeks ago highlighting different challenges and boss battles, I thought it was gonna be great! What's there is serviceable enough but definitely very lacklustre and further highlights that the game wasn't really finished before they pushed it out the door.

I'm looking forward to whatever DLC comes our way (is it wrong to be hoping for all of the old N64 courses like we got in World Tour?) but, whatever the case, I'm still really enjoying the game.

As is usual with Mario sports games, though, I'm having a lot more fun with the core sport rather than all of the extra things like speed golf and special shots. I certainly don't mind them as extra modes but I suspect most of my playtime will be spent playing standard golf online over the next few weeks :smile:

• Like 2

Awesome. New Donk looks like it could be fun, Toadette was a given for a character. Will be interesting to see how ranked match works. The way things are most Grundy players have figured out the best ways to get the best scores. 
Improved motion controls is interesting too. I wonder what they’ve done. I’ve not seen any way to put spin on the ball and to me it seems button control will always give you better control. 

Who’s up for a New Donk City session tomorrow evening?

I like how Toadette has basically become the "Captain Toad" representative.

Captain Toad really got the bum end of that deal, huh?

So already hearing that Ranked mode is only 3 holes and special shots are on. That’s annoying people. But the worst thing to come out of the update is that Daisy’s “whatever” has been replaced by a boring “boo”.

The two new courses are quite tricky and Koopa and Ninji have very odd special shots going.
Koopa in particular really struggles with any upward trajectory shots. As @BowserBasher can attest to when we played together just now. There were a few holes in New Donk City that he literally could not reach without falling off of a building!

• Like 1

Yup, whilst the two new courses have layout like the Rookie course, do not be fooled, they are much more hazardous in the terrain. 
That special shot on NDC was just odd. I pretty much helped you on that hole it seems. And I still can’t tell what happened. 

So a new update dropped for this out of nowhere. 
https://en-americas-support.nintendo.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/55654/~/how-to-update-mario-golf%3A-super-rush#v400

Ver. 4.0.0 (Released November 23, 2021)

• Added Playable Character, “Wiggler”
    • Wiggler has been added as a playable character playable in matches. He is a power-type character that uses his long body to send the ball farther. 
    • When he uses a Special Shot or is attacked, he will become enraged and power up for a certain amount of time:
      • Ball flight distance increases by 1.1 times. 
      • In "Speed Golf", in addition to distance, running speed and Special Dash speed will be enhanced by 1.25 times. In addition, the Special Dash will change from a straight shot to a special shot that hits the ground and sends out a shockwave.
    • His Special Shot has the effect of blowing away balls from its point of impact, as well as the surrounding area, due to the impact of the berries that are launched with it.
  • Added Playable Character “Shy Guy”
    • Shy Guy has been added as a playable character to choose from in Matches. He is a well-balanced, all-around character that is easy to use in any situation. 
    • His Special Dash uses the help of the Fly Guys to keep him flying until his gauge runs out, or a button is pressed. Use it at the right time to get an advantage over your opponent. 
    • His Special Shot has the effect of blowing away balls around its point of impact.
  • Added Golf Course, “Shelltop Sanctuary”
    • Added the full course “Shelltop Sanctuary”, made entirely of short holes.
    • Shelltop Sanctuary, where Cheep Cheeps fly to and fro, is a short course with all of its 18 holes being Par 3.
    • Two difficulty levels can be selected: “Amateur”, and “Pro”. Switching between them will greatly change the location of the green.
  • Added Golf Course, “All-Star Summit”
    • Added the full course “All-Star Summit”, which uses illustrations of Mario and others as a motif.
    • This course features familiar characters, and the design of the green and the bunkers is different from other courses, so you can enjoy employing a different kind of strategy.
    • The brick blocks strewn throughout the course can be broken by hitting them with a shot, or special dash. Break them to acquire coins that refill your Energy.
    • Get on top of the clouds found on the course to travel to opposite banks, or acquire Star Coins to fully charge your Energy.
  • Added New Mode, “Target Golf”
    • A new mode that allows you to play with just tee shots, without needing to know the detailed rules of golf.
    • Players take turns shooting a total of five balls at a circular target, competing for the highest score based on points awarded according to the position they hit. The closer the ball is to the center of the target, the higher the score will. If another player scores in an area first, however, the area will not be scored until the board resets. During play, ball types can change, and high-scoring targets appear that offer a chance for reversal.
    • Can be played with Motion Controls.
    • In the Play Golf menu, you can play against four other players with a single Joy-Con on a single Nintendo Switch. You can also play against four other players in Local Play and Online Play.
    • In the Solo Challenge menu, you can also play the single player challenge content Solo Score Challenge, Target Golf. The challenge is to see how many points you can score before you miss three times, while the ball type and wind direction changes.
  • Added New Mode, “One-On, One-Putt”
    • One-On, One-Putt has been added to Solo Score Challenge, a mode where you must hit the green on the first swing and then putt into the cup on the second swing. The first shot must be on the green and the second shot must be in the cup. 
    • You can play this mode on New Donk City and Shelltop Sanctuary, which consist of short courses only, in Amateur and Pro configurations, respectively. In Shelltop Sanctuary, there is a Special difficulty level that requires you to use a special club for each hole.
  • Game Balance Adjustments
    • Changed the amount of Energy Gauge recovered when obtaining coins from 1% to 4%.
    • Adjusted the number of coins that drop around you when you are attacked.
    • When attacking another player with Special Dash, the coins dropped by the opponent will now be automatically collected.
    • Stamina consumption when dashing with the B button has been reduced.
    • When Stamina has completely depleted and the B button is being held down, after a fixed amount of time, Stamina will recover and the player can start dashing again, even if the B button is continuously held down. 
    • CPUs now aim more to collect the Coins and Hearts on the course than before.
    • CPUs will now aim Special Shots and Special Dashes at other players more than before.
  • General
    • Medals are now displayed on the Main Menu, which allow you to check your completion of challenges and achievements.
    • A guide explaining how to play will now display every time at the start of using Motion Controls.
    • Spin will no longer be added after Pin Shots, and Flag Shots.
    • Adjusted the positioning of some of the garbage cans and benches in New Donk City.
    • Fixed an issue where Wario's Special Dash would sometimes hit an invisible wall above other players while going airborne.
    • Fixed additional issues to improve playability and game balance.

Quite a fair bit added. Should be pretty good to try these out. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

All that lovely new content, and they still don't fix the useless in-game camera to work like all the other games in the series?

Sigh :(