NEurope
Julius

Mario Golf Super Rush (25th June 2021)

The Miis continue their trend of having really stupid voices.

I'm sold.

• Haha 4

I'm shocked at how fully featured the RPG mode looks to be! It actually looks pretty damn close to the GB/GBA games in scope!

I'm absolutely blown away, I thought it'd be impossible to pull off for a team as small as Camelot! :o 

3 minutes ago, Dcubed said:

I'm shocked at how fully featured the RPG mode looks to be! It actually looks pretty damn close to the GB/GBA games in scope!

I'm absolutely blown away, I thought it'd be impossible to pull off for a team as small as Camelot! :o 

Calling it, Monolith Soft helped!

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Glen-i said:

Calling it, Monolith Soft helped!

Honestly wouldn't be surprised.  They're based in Tokyo, so Monolith's Tokyo studio helping out makes a lot of sense.

I really can't see how they pulled it off otherwise! They did the impossible here!

Edited by Dcubed

Everything they've shown about this game has me so excited. 

Camelot finally getting back into the swing of their circa 2000 domination. There's nothing better than a meaty Mario Sports title. 

• Thanks 1

This is slowly creeping into my "maybe" list. If I didn't live alone it would probably be higher but I am curious what the RPG side is like so will keep an ear out once it drops.

2 hours ago, Ashley said:

This is slowly creeping into my "maybe" list. If I didn't live alone it would probably be higher but I am curious what the RPG side is like so will keep an ear out once it drops.

We can always have round online!

----------------------------

The scores are in from Weekly Famitsu:

8/8/8/9

Not too shabby. :cool: 

On 16/06/2021 at 12:24 PM, darksnowman said:

We can always have round online!

Cursing people in real life: fine

Cursing people on the internet: dépasser

The Mii's voice is the same as Mario Kart 8's one.

YAAAAAAAYYYYYY!

• Haha 3

16 hours ago, BowserBasher said:

Anyone had their Nintendo store order posted yet? Mine still says processing. 

Any updates? Get on the phone and give em a good old "eh, while we're young"!

6 hours ago, Glen-i said:

The Mii's voice is the same as Mario Kart 8's one.

YAAAAAAAYYYYYY!

Yay for copy and paste. :( 

1 hour ago, darksnowman said:

Yay for copy and paste. :( 

Not quite, there are a few new voice clips that weren't in Mario Kart. It's an expanded repertoire of dumb voice.

Mario Kart 8 has my favourite Mii voice, so I'm not upset.

3 minutes ago, darksnowman said:

Wish this came with an instruction book. :geek: 

Isn't there a Golf Guide right there on the main menu?

Anyway, more importantly. Nintendo UK is certainly getting some mileage out of Adam Howden!

Now that I know, all I hear is Shulk! This is a good result?

9 hours ago, Glen-i said:

Isn't there a Golf Guide right there on the main menu?

There is indeed a Golf Guide right there on the main menu.

Does it contain anything like this?

uc?export=view&id=1ane7bLrsaisyqN6RDUQI3

• Haha 3

I was up for buying this day one, but the reviews… are a bit mixed. 
Sounds like the usual Mario sports title. Good basic controls, but hampered once again with stupid gimmicks. 

Those who have it, is it any good or is it worth waiting for the inevitable price drop…

Yeah I'm giving the miss too, from what I've read the gameplay is great and speed golf is a lot of fun but the story mode is terribly bland (sadly no surprise there), and there just isn't enough content. 

I knew there was something off from the very first reveal trailer, everything just looked so dull and lifeless, especially compared to the fun and creative worlds in World Tour on 3DS.

Edited by Ronnie

Also want to chime in and say I'm giving this a miss (for now, could be a game I pick up for Christmas or if I ever see a decent deal on it). 

Less to do with the reviews and more that I have enough on my Switch that I haven't played yet - as I rarely get around to my Switch at the moment, but hopefully I'll work it in over the summer - and would want to prioritise playing those over this. Also, if I'm being honest, there were quite a few games from the E3 Direct that I'd much rather put my money towards picking up instead, so I feel like this would end up gathering dust on my shelf :(

Edited by Julius

48 minutes ago, Ronnie said:

Yeah I'm giving the miss too, from what I've read the gameplay is great and speed golf is a lot of fun but the story mode is terribly bland (sadly no surprise there), and there just isn't enough content.

Same amount of courses as every console Mario Golf though? (6, not counting World Tour's DLC)

The Story mode has some neat little twists to keep you on your toes as you go. Such as having to play a round of golf in the desert course before you dehydrate (Yes, really), and playing on one massive course with 9 holes that you have to sink in 40 shots or less. When you clear one of those holes, you carry on from that exact spot, so you have to plan your route and take into account the ridiculously high cliffs. (There are tornadoes around the place to help give your ball some much needed lift).

Not to mention the strategy involved into what 7 clubs you take with you. You can take more, but going above 7 will slow you down while running.

Haven't tried speed golf online, but I did try Standard Golf with two other members last night. Super slick and really snappy too. Got through 18 holes in half an hour.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, Aneres11 said:

Those who have it, is it any good or is it worth waiting for the inevitable price drop…

Inevitable what now? :laughing: I finally caved in and got Mario Kart 8 in recent months because I too was waiting for a price drop that never came! So, bearing in mind that Nintendo prefer to keep their prices high, I picked golf up day one in spite of what reviews are saying.

Impressions so far are that the controls are taking some getting used, so anyone who has played past Mario Golf games could be in a similar boat. Not saying the controls are bad, just that a period of acclimatisation is needed. I fully expect to be able to finesse the ball around these dogs legs at ease when I get the hang of it, but at the moment I either yoink it too far to the side or don't give it enough action. All in good time. Other than controls, my takeaways so far are that it would be nice if chasing after the ball was an exception employed to spice up some events and not seemingly the rule in adventure mode. For the sake of comparison, I think it plays a better game of golf than Mario Tennis Aces plays tennis, but if you are after a golf RPG check out Golf Story instead.

• Like 1

On 25/06/2021 at 10:04 AM, darksnowman said:

Any updates? Get on the phone and give em a good old "eh, while we're young"!

Yup it arrived yesterday. Funny that it wasn’t shipped till late Thursday but at least they are using next day delivery. Haven’t played any yet as just got back off holiday but hopefully enough people have bought it for us to get some online games. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Glen-i said:

The Story mode has some neat little twists to keep you on your toes as you go. Such as having to play a round of golf in the desert course before you dehydrate (Yes, really), and playing on one massive course with 9 holes that you have to sink in 40 shots or less. When you clear one of those holes, you carry on from that exact spot, so you have to plan your route and take into account the ridiculously high cliffs. (There are tornadoes around the place to help give your ball some much needed lift).

Not to mention the strategy involved into what 7 clubs you take with you. You can take more, but going above 7 will slow you down while running.

Haven't tried speed golf online, but I did try Standard Golf with two other members last night. Super slick and really snappy too. Got through 18 holes in half an hour.

There is some good strategy involved with the XC golf and the water management aspect, you're right. More of that please. I haven't explored the menus too much, but I hope these kinds of options are available when setting up a round outside adventure mode. 

In adventure mode, selecting what clubs to take hasn't particularly helped or hindered me yet, though I've bought everything so far and I'm hoping it comes into play soon for another layer of tactical planning. Will it ever really be necessary to sacrifice running speed for a heavier bag with more clubs? I want to be confronted with this kind of dilemma. 

I think that reviewers who say adventure mode is 5 hours just put their blinkers on and gunned it. I'm not saying it's massively substantial either, but if you're thorough and talk to the characters in each area (they have new things to say after pretty much everything you do), and do the putting, chipping and driving challenges it is going to take more than 5 hours. If people are finishing adventure mode in five hours or less they've just followed the arrow and critical pathed it. And yes, I check everything for secrets. There is going to be a chest of drawers or a locker that pops open and gives me 500 exp, I just know it. 

2 hours ago, BowserBasher said:

Yup it arrived yesterday. Funny that it wasn’t shipped till late Thursday but at least they are using next day delivery. Haven’t played any yet as just got back off holiday but hopefully enough people have bought it for us to get some online games. 

Welcome back. Now quarantine with the Switch. :grin: Fore!

• Like 2
  • Weird 1

1 hour ago, darksnowman said:

and do the putting, chipping and driving challenges it is going to take more than 5 hours.

That desert chipping challenge is driving me mad! 9 shots, and you need 80 points! That green is annoyingly hilly!

This Hammer Bro needs a reality check!