NEurope
Ronnie

Nintendo Direct : 17 / 02 / 21 - 10pm (UK time)

My god Nintendo, the kings of left field. It's finally happening...

Edited by Ronnie
  • Thanks 3

3 minutes ago, Ronnie said:

My god Nintendo, the kinds of left field. It's finally happening...

Oh wow, 50 minutes. Updates on existing titles...Smash is a given, but others? Maybe some Mario Kart 8 Deluxe DLC? 

First traditional Nintendo Direct since September 2019, right? 

How am I meant to keep my expectations in check Nintendo?! Especially with Zelda's 35th Anniversary this coming weekend? 

Edited by Julius
  • Thanks 1

It's a chunky one too - so excited! 

Outside of the next Smash character announcement (and more info about New Pokémon Snap) I'm struggling to come up with any predictions really - their slate is so blank right now it's hard to know what they're going to show. Obviously hoping for BOTW 2 and Metroid Prime 4 trailers but not holding my breath over those.

I would love to see Xenoblade Chronicles X ported over from the Wii U, it's the only one in the series I haven't played yet and I've been tempted to pick up the Wii U version but holding out hope for a Switch release.

An actual Nintendo Direct though, let's go!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Yeah I was surprised by the length. Looking forward to 47 minutes of the yarn shop.

• Haha 5

First half of the year games? I imagine that's Zelda ports but I wouldn't mind a port of Xenoblade Chronicles.

2D Metroid please.

Usual managing expectations from them talking about how it's only Q1/Q2 2021 games, but they tend to include a further out surprise or two.

I'd be surprised if they put anything Zelda in this though, seems like a dedicated Direct thing like Mario's 35th got.

Is there much else to show of Bravely Default or Pokemon Snap? Those are the only big hitters announced for this year.

50 minutes!?!? That’s basically E3 length!!!

BN9FQk.gif

Switch Pro time!

CHOO CHOO MOTHER FUCKERS LET’S GO!!! :bouncy:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Ronnie said:

Usual managing expectations from them talking about how it's only Q1/Q2 2021 games, but they tend to include a further out surprise or two.

I'd be surprised if they put anything Zelda in this though, seems like a dedicated Direct thing like Mario's 35th got.

Is there much else to show of Bravely Default or Pokemon Snap? Those are the only big hitters announced for this year.

Yeah, in terms of surprises, I am curious to see what they do with BOTW2, which is the biggest one I think. If it is coming this year (or they're at least planning for it to), do you announce that now, or wait? This would be a similar time frame that we had for Smash Ultimate's reveal to release (Feb 2018 Direct > November 2018 release), and while I know this has already been revealed, I do think it would get similar treatment from them in terms of needing 6+ months to really market it well. 

As for Zelda, the actual date of the 35th anniversary is this coming Sunday, so I'd be very surprised if they didn't at least mention it, or release some commemorative amiibo, in lieu of some game reveal. Mario I think was a bit different, because they didn't have too much left to announce I feel back in August, as they had already announced Pikmin and made the wise choice to hold off on Age of Calamity, and its anniversary was the following month. They've clearly been saving up some surprises for this Direct. 

Yeah, I think Bravely Default and New Pokémon Snap probably get new trailers just to remind everyone they still exist and are coming. I'd still say that we're pretty likely to get a Pokémon Direct next week for the 25th Anniversary (that's just how they've done things before, and like clockwork too), so I think the bigger question is if Snap gets a trailer here or they save it until then? 

Either way, super excited. I'll probably post some further thoughts later, but back to work for now :p

• Like 1

BTW... just gonna point out that they name dropped SSBU...

So... yeah... not only it is PROPER DIRECT HYPE! (The first proper Direct since September 2019), but it’s also SMASH HYPE too! :D 

I'm cautiously optimistic.
Haven't used my Switch in quite a while so I hope we'll get some information on upcoming titles that make me want to hold on to the device.

I pretty much only need a Metroid Prime collection.

And a Monster Train Switch port (in conjunction with a PS5 port).

And Slay the Spire 2.

Nintendo 64 games for the online service, too. Throw in some GBA games, as well.

So, yeah. I don't need much :p

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, LazyBoy said:

Are they normally at that time? Its 10pm GMT, seems quite late.

Yeah, it does seem a little on the later side for a change, but it's been so long since we've had a Direct proper that I genuinely can't remember, I feel like they're generally some time between 16:00 and 19:00 for us over here (other Direct types are all over the place though).

I do seem to remember the Smash reveal Direct in 2018 being around this time in the year and quite late into the evening for us (21:00 or 22:00?), and similar timing even in 2019 for the one where they revealed Link's Awakening if I'm remembering right? 

9 minutes ago, Dcubed said:

50 minutes!?!? That’s basically E3 length!!!

BN9FQk.gif

Switch Pro time!

CHOO CHOO MOTHER FUCKERS LET’S GO!!! :bouncy:

I imagine Switch Pro and BOTW2 will be reserved for the Summer direct.

Wonder if we'll get an update on NSO - there have been insiders for a while saying that they've heard it's going to be a receive a big refresh. GBA / GBA / N64 games?

Feels like they're getting on top of leaks more than usual, I don't think there were any rumours about this happening.

2 minutes ago, LazyBoy said:

Are they normally at that time? Its 10pm GMT, seems quite late.

Pretty sure they've done 10pm streams before, not 100% if they were full Nintendo Directs though.

Just now, Goron_3 said:

I imagine Switch Pro and BOTW2 will be reserved for the Summer direct.

Yep, can't see them announcing hardware like that in a Direct. It'll get it's own dedicatd reveal for maximum attention.

Just now, Ronnie said:

Yep, can't see them announcing hardware like that in a Direct. It'll get it's own dedicatd reveal for maximum attention.

I don't know if I agree. Physical announcements (like an E3 showing) are dead, at least in Ninty's eyes. So what's the alternative - breaking it through a media outlet first, releasing a press release? You say dedicated a reveal, but wouldn't announcing it as a dedicated reveal be a reveal in itself? 

5 minutes ago, Helmsly said:

Is this the first full blown direct since September 2019? 

Yes.  We haven’t had a proper one since then.

We also haven’t had one this long in runtime since E3 2018!

GET HYPE!! :bouncy:

Edited by Dcubed
  • Like 1

Alright I'm making up some bingo cards for playing/drinking along. I'll randomize a 3x3 grid for anyone that want one

Help add to my list:

• New Mario Game
  • Metroid Prime 4
  • New Peripheral
  • Cringe banter
  • BOTW 2
  • Switch2
  • Pikmin 4
  • Xenoblades
  • Dating Sim
  • Remake of a Wii U game

Added:

• New Kirby game
  • "Please understand... delay of game X"
  • Silksong release date 
  • Mario Golf 
  • 2D Metroid 
  • Zelda 3D All-Stars 
  • 2D Zelda Remake 
  • Skyward Sword HD 
  • Metroid Prime Collection 
  • 2D Metroid Remake 
  • Final Fantasy Collection  
  • Confirmation of 25th Anniversary Pokémon Direct next week 
  • Mention of Covid 
  • Mario World (or whatever the Universal thing is called) 
  • Movies/Other uses of IP 
  • Glorious Return of the Wii Vitality Sensor 

Edited by LazyBoy
  • Thanks 1

38 minutes ago, Ronnie said:

I could see them maybe doing an "and one more thing..." and dropping a Zelda trailer and then saying a Zelda-specific Direct will be upcoming.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, LazyBoy said:

Alright I'm making up some bingo cards for playing/drinking along. I'll randomize a 3x3 grid for anyone that want one

Help add to my list:

New Mario Game
Metroid Prime 4
New Peripheral
Cringe banter
BOTW 2
Switch2
Pikmin 4
Xenoblades
Dating Sim
Remake of a Wii U game

Third Party sizzle reel
New Kirby game
"Please understand... delay of game X"

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Vileplume2000 said:

Third Party sizzle reel
New Kirby game

First one is too nailed on, but I'll add the other 2.

11 minutes ago, LazyBoy said:

Help add to my list:

New Mario Game
Metroid Prime 4
New Peripheral
Cringe banter
BOTW 2
Switch2
Pikmin 4
Xenoblades
Dating Sim
Remake of a Wii U game

Added:

New Kirby game

Mention of Covid
Mario World (or whatever the Universal thing is called)
Movies/Other uses of IP
Glorious Return of the Wii Vitality Sensor