NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
Dog-amoto

Resident Evil Village

Haven't played a Resident Evil game before, and nothing I saw here really got me on board to do so, even as someone interested in jumping onboard with the series. It just didn't really grab me.

Art style also seemed a little different to me when compared with the more recent uses of the RE Engine in games, couldn't quite tell what it was, looked a little rough once or twice which might be the reason. 

Haven't played a Resident Evil game before, and nothing I saw here really got me on board to do so, even as someone interested in jumping onboard with the series. It just didn't really grab me.
Art style also seemed a little different to me when compared with the more recent uses of the RE Engine in games, couldn't quite tell what it was, looked a little rough once or twice which might be the reason. 
They're currently remaking Resident Evil 4. When that comes out, I implore you to check it out. One of the best games ever released in my opinion.
  • Like 3

Just now, Sheikah said:
22 minutes ago, Julius said:

They're currently remaking Resident Evil 4. When that comes out, I implore you to check it out. One of the best games ever released in my opinion.

Yeah, I read about that, might not be until 2022 though if I recall? Might try to jump in a bit earlier :p but thanks for the recommendation, I think 4 is the only one I've experienced to any degree (played for about half an hour when I was younger at a friend's house). 

Is Resident Evil (the 2002 remake) considered a good jumping in point? Might have to give it a go and follow it up with the remakes and the original 4, if they're to my liking. Will have to give it a go this summer. 

Yeah, I read about that, might not be until 2022 though if I recall? Might try to jump in a bit earlier  but thanks for the recommendation, I think 4 is the only one I've experienced to any degree (played for about half an hour when I was younger at a friend's house). 
Is Resident Evil (the 2002 remake) considered a good jumping in point? Might have to give it a go and follow it up with the remakes and the original 4, if they're to my liking. Will have to give it a go this summer. 
To be honest I would probably play the recent Resident Evil 2 remake. You don't need to have played Resi 1 and it will be a much more modern and enjoyable experience.

3 minutes ago, Sheikah said:
5 minutes ago, Julius said:
Yeah, I read about that, might not be until 2022 though if I recall? Might try to jump in a bit earlier emoji14.png but thanks for the recommendation, I think 4 is the only one I've experienced to any degree (played for about half an hour when I was younger at a friend's house). 

To be honest I would probably play the recent Resident Evil 2 remake. You don't need to have played Resi 1 and it will be a much more modern and enjoyable experience.

To be honest I've made a habit of loving returning to older games, not sure if I would necessarily give the PS1 versions a try first instead of the remakes in this instance but I don't think I'd mind. 

To give the series a fair go I'll commit to giving both REmake and RE2 Remake a try I think. Couldn't think of a better time than a summer weekend to dig in, so guess I'll try one out in the next month or two! 

To be honest I've made a habit of loving returning to older games, not sure if I would necessarily give the PS1 versions a try first instead of the remakes in this instance but I don't think I'd mind. 
To give the series a fair go I'll commit to giving both REmake and RE2 Remake a try I think. Couldn't think of a better time than a summer weekend to dig in, so guess I'll try one out in the next month or two! 

If it helps, Resi 2 remake is fantastic. I actually wouldn't recommend playing the PS1 versions - terrible voice acting and loading times when opening each door would put me off returning to them!

Ethan Winters (the main protagonist from 7: Biohazard) returns as the primary character in the next RE sequel. It is another first person shooter for next gen consoles and Windows, which is really supposed to be RE8. Yet for some reason, Capcom have not fully wanted to refer to it as that, even though it is stylized as such in the promotional material...

So the game is apparently set in Romania. Ethan is captured and taken there, for some as of yet unexplained reason. He has to fight werewolf type creatures and survive being hunted by a cult. According to the well known insider Dusk Golem, who has a Twitter account and is known for his survival horror gaming related leaks, Alex Wesker from Resident Evil: Revelations 2 will return as one of the main villains. Since she was last seen (as the little girl with an unusual ability, called Natalia Korda) living with Barry Burton, his daughter Moira, and Claire Redfield, I'm concerned that perhaps they are "killed off" somehow, and Chris (seen acting noticeably angry in the trailer and then shooting a woman in front of Ethan who looks to be his wife, Mia), is out for payback...

What do you think of the game being in first person again? I can't say I'm daft on those type of games on a personal note. I'm more into third person games, but in this case, it does look quite atmospheric. However, Ethan isn't really that interesting of a character due to the fact you only hear his voice, and see his hands. People have seen his in-game model from hacking the files, so they know what he looks like. Unfortunately, Capcom seems reluctant to actually show him facially. Anyway... what do you think of all of this so far? In case you missed it, here is the trailer...

I have no interest in this game at all (I have never played a RE game, and never intend to).

That said, i'm surprised that there hasn't been any other interest in this thread. The announcement of basically Resident Evil 8, and no one is talking about it? Is it just RE fatigue, after the release of all those remakes, and the release of RE4 on every console under the sun?

Am I missing something?

43 minutes ago, bob said:

I have no interest in this game at all (I have never played a RE game, and never intend to).

That said, i'm surprised that there hasn't been any other interest in this thread. The announcement of basically Resident Evil 8, and no one is talking about it? Is it just RE fatigue, after the release of all those remakes, and the release of RE4 on every console under the sun?

Am I missing something?

Think it's more the fact that there was already a thread for this, which @CrowingJoe79 himself started back in April when rumours were flying around. Feel like that one should have just been renamed. 

Though there doesn't seem to be as much interest in the Other Consoles threads in general, I don't think the Halo Infinite one has even been updated with the gameplay demo from Xbox's Showcase. But that's been the trend I've noticed since H-o-T stopped posting, I remember feeling super weird being the one to start a bunch of threads well after the PS5 conference was over. 

Not much there in that other thread either though, to be honest. I feel like most of the discussion probably happened in the PS5 thread during the event. Oh, and H-o-T hasn't been around, feel like he would have had some stuff to say, being a huge fan of the series. 

Edited by Julius
  • Thanks 1

The remake of RE2 and especially 3, made for an underwhelming experience. Fans wanted a remake in the same style as the 2002 game. Not with having a totally changed up, cheesy ass story, where the zombies serve as bullet sponges. While the RE2 remake isn't quite as awful as the RE3 remake, it's by no means a masterpiece. 

RE3 in particular, has very linear gameplay. Nemesis only comes after you during lame scripted segments. They used the exact same looking car Ethan Winters rams Jack Baker with in the garage in RE7 for when Jill does it to Nemesis near the beginning. How lazy. The voice acting isn't bad though, but the game cut out so many enemies, locations, and more, for the most part. Most of the original sections like the clock tower and the gas station are in it, only to serve as backdrops. Oh, and Carlos doesn't give Jill the vaccine either. Jill does that herself. Also, the final section wasn't set in that factory either, where you had to destroy Nemesis with a large laser thing. You have to use this crappy looking gun and I swear, Jill says something really stupid in that scene. She does say her iconic line at some point nonetheless. Not that it sounds all that impressive.

The final section of the game is based in a lab, like the one in the RE2 remake, referred to as 'NEST' or something. They have zombies with no hair, which were also in RE2, I think. I'm not sure. But overall, RE3 (2020) sucks because they just left out so much content to rush it out!

In the original, enemies of different varieties could still attack you together, but in this game, they didn't do that. Not to mention, they got the ending wrong. While the original had multiple endings, the real ending is Barry saving Jill and Carlos. That doesn't happen in this game at all, because there's just that one, almost emotionless ending where you catch a glimpse of the city blowing up. Nothing with an impact like in the original, and that's sad considering a game from 1999 is better than a game from 2020. So they didn't even pay any attention to the canonical aspects of the franchise, and the game was outsourced. 

RE8 is apparently still coming to the PS4, despite what Capcom said. It doesn't look great enough to be a PS5 title anyway. In fact, WhatCulture Gaming uploaded a video about that on their channel yesterday, I think it was. Also, did you know that Konami makes personal computers now? Just what is going on with Capcom and Konami?! 

We still have two threads for this game, but this one was opened first, so...I'm going to pop it in here :p

We'll get our next look at 14:00 BST on 25th September during Tokyo Game Show. 

Resident Evil Showcase at 22:00 GMT next Thursday (the 21st):

Also, can this thread maybe be merged with the other one please? That one's titled Resident Evil Village, but this one was open first and is very much about the same game :p

EDIT: link is up for the stream. 

Edited by Julius

The new fat merchant for example, is unbelievably stupid. LOL. Like, did Capcom ask Tim Burton for his approval?

Fanboys don't seem to care an ounce about this weird direction, though. The RE Engine can offer up anything dumb and blocky looking, and they will be there to consume that slop, day one. The same can be said about the RE4 remake, that has supposedly been delayed to 2023 now. ;)

Also, um. I think Ethan Winters will never have his face fully revealed. Capcom always hides his face in the official images they release, so I honestly could care much less about his fate, or whatever. He isn't even that interesting to me. :)

Sorry. This game is just not really gonna be that good. Perhaps as a general horror game, yeah. But calling it RE8 (although they don't) is also stupid. It's not even arguably "the next generation" of the series anyway, as they proclaimed nearly a year ago. They've decided to release it on the PS4 as well. And at least now, I don't have to waste money on a PS5 for to play this hot pile of overpriced, overrated garbage. :idea:

2 hours ago, CrowingJoe79 said:

I've merged all the RE Village threads we had into one, it's messed up the order of posts a little but it should be fine.

Please don't make multiple threads for 1 game.

• Thanks 1

And at least now, I don't have to waste money on a PS5 for to play this hot pile of overpriced, overrated garbage. :idea:

How can you say it's overrated when no-ones rated it yet?
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Sorry Joe, I think looks great. They've put 7 in 4's world, added an inventory and I think a flavor of Souls esque worldbuilding. Look, farther it gets away from VI the better. Excited about this.

As a fan of the original games and the recent remakes, I’m still not here for Ethan or this first person view. It isn’t RE to me and it won’t be until I get some proper RE characters back. Stupid, hard to follow story line that makes no sense an all. :p 

I will still buy it though. I played through and enjoyed RE 7, but they have no right to call it RE. 

• Like 1

I didn’t really like RE7 (It basically had no meaningful gameplay outside of shooting things), and unfortunately it looks like RE8 is following suit; so it’s a writeoff for me here.

RE2 Remake was pretty great though (outside of it taking itself too seriously and sucking all the fun out of the characters & story - oh, and it had basically no music either; had to play it with the original PS1 soundtrack!).  More of that please! (But a new game, leave RE4 alone!!!)

Hoping that the other upcoming RE game turns out to be much more interesting... (first one was great, second one sucked, third one... ???)

Edited by Dcubed
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

That's sad. :cry:

Anyway, what did you think of the demo? I watched people trying it online. So far, it doesn't look especially groundbreaking. Ethan isn't the most interesting of characters either, but I think the, "His story is coming to an end!" thing may as well also apply to Chris Redfield. Giving how old Chris is now, his time is more or less up as a soldier. Although I think he should have one final outing with Jill and co, to end his arc decisively. They started the series, after all. You know? 

What do you think of the new merchant? Personally, I think having ridiculously cheesy looking merchants in the franchise makes it feel awfully stupid. It's not something you should typically associate with this franchise, which is meant to revolve around viruses. It gives off too many fantasy or fairytale vibes. Do you know what I mean by this? :confused:

The "vampire" woman is receiving much love now, in the form of memes. As I predicted would be the case. Some folk are way too easily amused, I suppose. :cheeky:

7 hours ago, CrowingJoe79 said:

Anyway, what did you think of the demo? 

Pretty lacklustre, to be honest!

I get that it's just a showcase for the visuals and atmosphere, so the game itself will play quite differently when it launches, but given that I wasn't exactly blown away by Resident Evil 7, I'm not particularly excited by this at all.. which isn't new for the franchise, in truth. There are way more misses than hits!

The irritations began immediately when having to find your way out of the cell. As I started looking around some some sort of way out or clue, a marker just showed me exactly where to look and from there the demo was largely an exercise in just looking around all of the rooms until something was highlighted with an arrow to interact with.

While games showing items that can be touched, used, grabbed or manipulated isn't anything new, I'm becoming way less tolerant of it when not implemented well.

In a game like this where the environment and atmosphere is hugely important, you end up looking for markers to appear rather than properly taking in each room and appreciating the details within each. As a result, it just didn't really work for me :hmm:

On a positive note, I liked how what is visible during the opening phase of the demo seems to become more shocking the more you walk around.

Spoiler

When something falls from the ceiling and you see that it's a body wrapped up and this leads you to look up and see the horror of just how many bodies are actually hanging up there!

Whether this is a positive or negative, I'm not sure but it doesn't feel like a Resident Evil game..

I'm not able to play the demo, as I don't own a PS5. It's stupid that Capcom didn't release a demo on the PS4 as well, but they probably want to hide how bad it actually is.

Some of the fans in the Resident Evil community are stupid, quite frankly. Even when they see Capcom is butchering content in the remakes, or putting in plot devices suited for a different sort of franchise, they'll sit there on their computer chair and defend the franchise, and suck up to Capcom, no matter what. It's kind of annoying.

Anyway, I got called a fake fan by this "Sam Toothless Hopps" guy on YouTube. I'm getting him doing this, because I talked about a shill for Capcom, known as Nemesis. He makes no sense whatsoever. 

YouTube

Sign in to follow this