NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
Will

My Console Modding Experiment

It’s just a kit that is meant for a PC (I think) that someone has created instructions for hooking up to a Saturn. Definitely nothing smart on my side other than figuring out different pins I could use to power my particular model.

• Thanks 1

Are you kidding? I had trouble opening up a PS1 controller last night. Was trying to fix an analogue stick that is permenantly stuck down. Couldn't do it, some wires were souldered from the controller board to the rumble mechanism so i couldn't pull the board all the way out, all i had was a screwdriver.

I finally had some more parts I’ve been waiting for, and this time it’s a good one, I present to you:

The GBA SP Unhinged Mod

Today I’ll be taking my GBA SP from when I was a kid and hopefully be turning it into something quite amazing.

Jt3rmEo.jpg

This is my original GBA SP and the front shell of the Boxy Pixel aluminum shell that will turn it into something that resembles the original game boy more so than any of the GBA models.

w3SZxH7.jpg

These are the various parts, the front, a back for the screen and the main body and a battery cover.

1Ezp5rY.jpg

I started by taking apart the original machine, nothing too taxing here, just get the right screwdriver and go for it. The ribbon cable for the original screen comes out nice and easy and you’re left with the board for the GBA SP.

NJdjAjk.jpg

The first thing I wanted to do was replace the switches in the shoulder buttons. If you remember they are super mushy and I wanted to make them have a nice feeling click. This is the new button, much much smaller than I thought it would be.

2mVnTXg.jpg

Taking out the originals went ok, they were just soldered in the four holes on the left of the shot.

ZR0ZNFC.jpg

Went a bit easier than I thought. No supports with the new buttons so just a case of two solder points each and I’m ready to carry on.

iVhk2Bt.jpg

Inserted the new buttons into the shell, these are also machined aluminum as they need to be bigger than the originals to fit the new shell.

UBYSJOY.jpg

I added new membranes to give it as good a feel when playing as possible.

lFehnrs.jpg

A new speaker to make it sound as good as possible.

mRVelpk.jpg

And a USB-C charging board to bring it into the modern day and allow me to use the many newer chargers I have around the house.

D2dsQfz.jpg

Wire in the board ready to connect to the main board of the GBA.

W0buofk.jpg

This is the modern LCD screen I’ve got to go in it. Never seen one in person but from the videos I’ve seen this should really make a big difference.

hdRp3NQ.jpg

Connecting the screens ribbon cable is pretty easy, but soldering in the tiny blue cable is a bit tricky. Not essential but worth doing as that will allow me to control the brightness with the proper button later on.

iVSdHi9.jpg

Tape down the screens driver board and we’re good to continue on.

1YehYBj.jpg

Add the board and the screen into the front case, now it’s starting to take shape.

74uK66R.jpg

Solder the USB cables into the original charging port. This was pretty fiddly but seems to have worked in the end.

dBaBinT.jpg

Added the back to the screen and we’re into the final few parts of the mod.

Pr3bnFi.jpg

Add in the posts that will hold the shoulder buttons in place.

dc7Brzl.jpg

I also have this battery I’m going to replace the original with, should make it last for a really long time between charges.

2XQeVtf.jpg

The battery solders in to the back of the original battery connector - I could cut it out and use the original later on if I really wanted to.

I’ve also added in the shoulder buttons ready for everything to be put together.

gHoD9vd.jpg

The final thing to add in is the cartridge guide/shielding, should be good to put it together now.

lK2w4O8.jpg

Screw in the main rear housing.

wqijh3K.jpg

Wow! Looks really awesome IMO, just hope it actually works.

Time to test it out:

YES! I had a few scares with some of the soldering so I’m really pleased it’s working.

Here it is on the title screen of Mario Kart - that screen was really worth the investment, looks super awesome.

lFsTXzr.jpg

The original Mario Land also looks great, this picture doesn’t do it justice.

I’m really glad I did this, the new shell is just so cool and the screen makes a massive difference to being able to enjoy playing games. There are a few things I need to do to finish this still. The screen is a little loose so I need to secure it better, then I need to add some hot glue to the power light holes as you can’t really see the lights all that well, finally I need to spend a bit of time and install a headphone jack.

Definitely recommend this to those of you thinking about doing it yourselves.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2

Looks awesome! Great job! :D 

And yeah, the IPS screen makes a world of difference; literally generations ahead of even the backlit AGS101 screen!

Yeah the IPS screen is a total game changer, don’t think I’ve ever enjoyed playing game boy stuff so much. The case is also super nice and the deeper buttons than the original SP make it feel much better.

Had an issue that the battery wasn’t charging, figured I’d messed up the soldering or something. Opened it up, did absolutely nothing to it, closed it again and it works perfectly. I guess something was just housed a bit weirdly and needed a bit of a rejig.

Decided I’m not going to bother with the headphone jack, and instead try to install a Bluetooth module. Not sure how well it will work with the metal shell but may as well give it a try.

After that I need to figure out what my next project will be, really not sure what to go for at the moment.

• Thanks 1

Sign in to follow this