NEurope
Dufniall

Pokémon 25th Anniversary

Does Meganium have a Mega? If it does, is it called MegaMeganium?

28 minutes ago, bob said:

Personally, I’m still waiting on Mega Yanmega myself.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, bob said:

See, I know you're having a laugh, but you just reminded me that the Johto starters got shafted because the Gold/Silver remakes were DS titles and the Ruby/Sapphire starters got the Mega treatment instead.

You've made me sad.

See, I know you're having a laugh, but you just reminded me that the Johto starters got shafted because the Gold/Silver remakes were DS titles and the Ruby/Sapphire starters got the Mega treatment instead.
You've made me sad.
Don't be sad!

Remember that ultimately Pokémon is just a game and none of it really matters.

7 minutes ago, bob said:

Don't be sad!

Remember that ultimately Pokémon is just a game and none of it really matters.

See, now that just makes it look even more bleak, given the countless amount of hours I've poured into the series.

• Haha 1

I would actually like a remake of Gold/Silver because I feel like playing it again but have no device to currently play it on (seeing as my only device is Switch and I've just checked and there's no way of playing it on there but in fairness it's not like the switch is a handheld or anything....)

32 minutes ago, Ashley said:

I would actually like a remake of Gold/Silver because I feel like playing it again but have no device to currently play it on (seeing as my only device is Switch and I've just checked and there's no way of playing it on there but in fairness it's not like the switch is a handheld or anything....)

It's a real shame HeartGold/SoulSilver are stupid expensive to get a hold of.

They're the best Pokémon remakes.

32 minutes ago, Glen-i said:

Weirdly I also remember when I got this. Ordered it while I was in Japan and on the day I got back I walked the 3 miles to the pickup place.

The Pokéwalker thing was great too.

24 minutes ago, Glen-i said:

Tell me about it. The first copy of the game I got hold of was a fake. I managed to finish it but eventually the fake cartridge (which had two shinies on it as I had a Shiny Crobat and a Shiny Seaking) went and stopped working so I went and had to pay the full actual price for a replacement (a SoulSilver). Had to play through the entire game again with a less interesting team... though I did have fun nevertheless.

Nice to see the anime is still putting out some quality content :D

@Ashley I have to imagine Gold/Silver remakes will be coming in the form of Let's Go Pichu! and Let's Go [less popular Johto Pokémon], or worse try Let's Go Again Pikachu! and Let's Go Again Eevee!, eventually. I don't see it being this year, and I'd be pretty disappointed if it was, if I'm being honest, because I want us to finally get the Diamond and Pearl remakes :p

It is crazy though how Game Freak have managed to get away with having effectively three different concurrent subseries of the core series games: the new main titles with new Pokémon/region/etc., the remakes, and now with Let's Go (they'd be crazy to drop it, surely?) they are remaking games which have already been remade. I'm really curious to see how potential Diamond and Pearl remakes would perform today, because up until the end of Gen VI, they were the only pair of generation-opening core series games to buck the trend of declining sales, though only by a few million copies, which is insane given they were on the best-selling handheld console. Now that I think about it, those games probably have the lowest attachment rate of any generation-opening pair of Pokémon games too. But anyways, yeah, with Gen IV in many ways being the childhood-defining Pokémon titles of people my age, should be interesting to see how that pans out. 

Does anyone have any plans for the 25th anniversary, either the date specifically or throughout the year? And can you remember what you did for the 20th anniversary, if anything? 

I'm planning to wait until the hopefully inevitable Anniversary Direct, which should be just under three weeks away, before I really set my plans in stone, just in case there are any surprise announcements.

Regardless of whether or not this year's game is the year we get Diamond and Pearl remakes (I say through gritted teeth), I'll be picking whatever the new games are anyways, just because that's how far gone I am with this franchise. I'm really looking forward to New Pokémon Snap, and obviously I'm hoping for some ports to be announced (please give us the GBA Kanto remakes!). 

I've had White 2 sitting on my shelf for nearly the last year now, so I plan to get back to that, because the Unova sequels are still the only original entries I haven't experienced all the way through in any way (yeah, I worded it that way; suck it, USUM). I played the first 2 hours to find I just wasn't in a Pokémon mood at the time, so it got shelved, because I didn't see the point in forcing it, but I love White, so I'm definitely looking forward to getting back around to it.

I think it's finally time for another Explorers of Sky playthrough this year, it's been a good few years now since I played it through for the fourth time (I think? It might've been the fifth, but I've clearly lost count) and I'm definitely starting to feel the urge to go back to it. Say what you might about the moment-to-moment dungeon gameplay of those games, I will gladly write off every issue I have with this game simply because it's the best Pokémon story and it has some seriously great music. 

Other than that, I might play Pokémon Ranger: Guardian Signs again? I played Ranger and Shadows of Almia again most recently back in 2018 if I'm remembering right, so it's been a little while, but I have a soft spot for the series, and they're pretty short and fun games. Now that I think about it, Guardian Signs might be the only one that I haven't returned to since release. So yeah, guess I might've just talked myself into that. 

Other than those, I'm not too sure? That might be enough as it is, but returning to Blue Rescue Team or playing Rescue Team DX, or even Gates to Infinity or Super Mystery Dungeon, sounds compelling too. Pokémon Conquest is starting to rise in price so I might finally pick that up (I remember wanting it when I was younger, no idea how that one passed me by!), and I haven't played Detective Pikachu either, so might have to look into that too. 

As for on the day? I might watch Detective Pikachu (yeah, I've managed to not see it somehow!), or maybe even watch some of the anime (series or films? Not sure, but I think Origins might be a worthy shout), but I imagine anything else is contingent on potential announcements in a potential Direct. Potentially. :p

Back on the 20th Anniversary, I was working in Birmingham on the day and popped by GAME on my lunch break, when I picked up my Virtual Console codes for Red, Blue, and Yellow, got the Mewtwo and Pikachu amiibo (which I've since passed on to my younger brother), the code for Mew, and just had a nice chat with the guy at the counter - while it was waaaaaaaaay too busy for him to be talking to me, if I'm being honest - about the announcements of Sun and Moon the day before. Good times :peace:

• Like 1

Yeah, it's too soon for me to make any concrete plans until TPC actually announce theirs. New Pokémon Snap will defo come into it once it's released, but after that? Who knows?

I'd say I'll play Explorers of Sky again. But that's nothing special, I do that every year.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, drahkon said:

Man...2021 is weird.

At least it seems to be trying to be an edgy and weird sequel to 2020 rather than a dark one. 

Though I think this pretty much confirms we're in the worst timeline... :p

Edited by Julius
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Julius said:

At least it seems to be trying to be an edgy and weird sequel to 2020 rather than a dark one.

I'll get back to you once the Coronavirus B.1.1.7 mutation goes on a rampage :p

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, drahkon said:

I'll get back to you once the Coronavirus B.1.1.7 mutation goes on a rampage :p

Once all this is over, that's going to make one hell of a band name :laughing:

Back on topic though...

Something Will Happen™

Edited by Julius
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, Dcubed said:

They're gonna announce a Pokemon boy band game, obviously.

Would unironically buy that. Just for the sheer stupidity of the idea.

Spoiler

This tweet is causing speculation

Also this one:

The backlash will be tremendous if that’s what they are hinting at, but I think they are hinting 2 separate things.

1 hour ago, Ashley said:
  Speculation based on tweets (Reveal hidden contents)

This tweet is causing speculation

Also this one:

The fact that this isn't the first time this line of questioning has crossed my mind tells you just how silly the Pokémon Company and all involved can be at times. 

It's pretty much one of the only things they could do to drive more controversy than we had with Sword/Shield's "Dexit". Which is to say, as someone who thinks those games need to be remade if only for QoL purposes, I would not be amused. 

...but would still totally be down for that soundtrack :laughing:

Spoiler

Given that they are counting down with the starters, it seems to just be a coincidence. But I wouldn't be surprised if they jumped straight into Let's Go, Sinnoh for the Diamond/Pearl remakes, I mean, why would they remake them in any other way?