NEurope
Dufniall

Pokémon 25th Anniversary

Just to add to what @Glen-i mentioned about Bidoof (great read by the way), the reason that they're making such a big deal out of Bidoof this year seems to be for the same reason that they made a big deal out of Eevee a few years ago: the impending return to Sinnoh in the Diamond & Pearl remakes, as well as in Legends: Arceus. I genuinely think that if Let's Go games were made for Sinnoh, they would have gone with Bidoof as one of the starters/version mascots. 

Pokémon has been focusing more and more on having these almost secondary mascots to Pikachu, like Bidoof and Eevee, in recent years, and honestly, I think it's a brilliant idea from a business perspective. Everyone owns some Pikachu merch in some form or another, so if they let it share the spotlight with some other Pokémon during the marketing for remakes and the like, they'll inevitably see their merchandise sales rise to some (probably small, but noticeable) degree. 

What's interesting about picking Bidoof is that, while it's certainly not the least popular Pokémon by a long shot, I don't think it's the obvious choice for a secondary mascot from Sinnoh (at least not in the same way that Eevee perhaps is for Kanto). You've got Shinx, Riolu, heck I think some were under the impression that Piplup might step back into the spotlight, so while it's not totally out of left field, it's been nice to see it get some of the spotlight! 

4 hours ago, Julius said:

What's interesting about picking Bidoof is that, while it's certainly not the least popular Pokémon by a long shot, I don't think it's the obvious choice for a secondary mascot from Sinnoh (at least not in the same way that Eevee perhaps is for Kanto). You've got Shinx, Riolu, heck I think some were under the impression that Piplup might step back into the spotlight, so while it's not totally out of left field, it's been nice to see it get some of the spotlight! 

Shinx's only notoriety is that until Sword/Shield's DLC, many were under the impression that Game Freak had completely forgotten it existed. You couldn't catch one natively for 3 generations!

Riolu suffers from "Charizard" syndrome. Barely anyone actually likes Riolu, it only seems to be popular because you need one to get it's evolution, Lucario, which is crazy popular. This became quite obvious when X/Y came out, where you were given a Lucario partway through the game. People going for Pokédex completion tended to overlook Riolu, because they never saw one in the game.

And yes, before you ask, I have terms for lots of weird phenomenon with Pokémon and their popularity.

9 hours ago, Julius said:

image-650.png

Is this real?

8 hours ago, Ashley said:

Bidoof.

Bidoof tss.

Ba Dum Tss Drum GIF - BaDumTss Drum Joke - Discover ...

6 hours ago, Glen-i said:

Bidoof started off as Diamond/Pearl's Rattata replacement.

Rattata's only good for running. Sentret and Zigzagoon 4ever.

Bidoof/ Diamond broke me and I didn't play Pokémon again until Shield. :p 

52 minutes ago, darksnowman said:

Is this real?

Yep, it's a promotional card released yesterday.

12 hours ago, S.C.G said:

NewPokemonSnapImage5.jpg

Bidoof. :D

(Photographed by @Ashley)

Bidoof! 

That's the hattrick, I'll stop now.

• Thanks 1

The next song featured on Pokemon 25: The Album has been released on YouTube and music streaming services. This song is “Take it Home” by Mabel and while it has no music video, there is a link to listen to the song below.

Edited by MindFreak

pokemon-evolutions-169-en.jpg

The new limited series, Pokémon Evolutions, will be airing from September 9th in celebration of the franchise's 25th anniversary, and can be watched either in the Pokémon TV app or on the official YouTube channel. 

Produced to help celebrate 25 Years of Pokémon, this eight-episode series will begin in the Galar region and culminate in the Kanto region—the first region that appeared in the Pokémon series. Each episode features familiar characters and Pokémon alongside a connecting thread of a Pikachu that leads the viewers on their voyage through the regions. Mark your calendar with the following dates on which each episode will debut:

• September 9, 2021: “The Champion” featuring the Galar region

• September 23, 2021: “The Eclipse” featuring the Alola region

• October 7, 2021: “The Vision” featuring the Kalos region

• October 21, 2021: “The Plan” featuring the Unova region

• December 2, 2021: “The Rival” featuring the Sinnoh region

• December 9, 2021: “The Wish” featuring the Hoenn region

• December 16, 2021: “The Show” featuring the Johto region

• December 23, 2021: “The Quest” featuring the Kanto region

Looks visually fantastic, which shouldn't come as much of a surprise, considering just how great their other limited series up to this point (Origins, Generations, Twilight Wings, and PokéToon ) have all looked, but this might be the best animated, judging from this trailer at least! Going backwards through the regions should be a nice change of pace, look forward to seeing how it pans out, and fingers crossed for some good music! 

And in case you missed it, as I feel like it's the one that's gone the most under the radar, PokéToon is well worth tracking down. It's currently at five episodes, with another three on the way, which can be found on their kids YouTube channel. 

The first episode, Scraggy and Mimikyu, is basically just Pokémon in a Looney Tunes style...and it works so well. 

Whoever decided to have Scraggy in this old Looney Tunes style is a genius, it's like it was secretly designed just for this purpose, it works that well. 

Edited by Julius
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

As if I needed any more reason to like the Scraggy evolution line.

Pinnacle of Gen 5, those two.

But yeah, Pokémon Evolutions is one I'll definitely have to check out, if only because it decided to have Inteleon as the Gen 8 starter the playable character has. The correct choice.

Edited by Glen-i
  • Like 1

I'm sure its nothing really but its kind of weird the official youtube channels have been uploading whole episodes from when Ash catches the Johto starters recently. 🤔

1 hour ago, Ashley said:

I'm sure its nothing really but its kind of weird the official youtube channels have been uploading whole episodes from when Ash catches the Johto starters recently. 🤔

Well, after Diamond/Pearl, the next mainline games were HeartGold/SoulSilver.

So that will theoretically be next on the list once those remakes come out.

Not like that has anything to do with what's uploaded to YouTube. We're still a ways off before wondering about that.

Would they really do remakes of remakes? Even TPC... (Let's Go has at least a different mechanism from Leaf/Fire). 

Whatever the reason it's a good bit of Italian practice. Much better than the Pikachu origins episode I watched recently which was 90% Pokémon noises that the auto-subtitles struggled with. 

40 minutes ago, Ashley said:

Would they really do remakes of remakes? Even TPC... (Let's Go has at least a different mechanism from Leaf/Fire). 

It's why most people think it's gonna be another Let's Go affair.

I'm sure you all know how I feel about that. But if it's not that, then I imagine they'll just skip it and do Black/White for the next remake project.

40 minutes ago, Glen-i said:

It's why most people think it's gonna be another Let's Go affair.

I'm sure you all know how I feel about that. But if it's not that, then I imagine they'll just skip it and do Black/White for the next remake project.

It's not PMD so you'd hate it 😋

I would like to return to Johto but I do expect B/W to be remade next. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Ashley said:

Whatever the reason it's a good bit of Italian practice. Much better than the Pikachu origins episode I watched recently which was 90% Pokémon noises that the auto-subtitles struggled with. 

They’ve already set the precedent with Let’s Go; so I wouldn’t be surprised if a remake of HGSS isn’t far off…

2 hours ago, Glen-i said:

Well, after Diamond/Pearl, the next mainline games were HeartGold/SoulSilver.

So that will theoretically be next on the list once those remakes come out.

Not like that has anything to do with what's uploaded to YouTube. We're still a ways off before wondering about that.

No Glen, come on.  We all know that Explorers of Sky is the next remake due after BDSP ;) 

3 minutes ago, Dcubed said:

They’ve already set the precedent with Let’s Go; so I wouldn’t be surprised if a remake of HGSS isn’t far off…

No Glen, come on.  We all know that Explorers of Sky is the next remake due after BDSP ;) 

Ah, but wouldn't Let's Go Johto be before that?

Explorers of Sky specifically came out after Platinum, didn't it? I don't mind waiting if it means we get a remake of that particular one.

Let's Go feels exclusively "you love Gen 1". I wouldn't be surprised if they did more, but it kind of felt like a way of them figuring out the Switch and milking that sweet sweet nostalgia at the same time. 

23 minutes ago, Ashley said:

Let's Go feels exclusively "you love Gen 1". I wouldn't be surprised if they did more, but it kind of felt like a way of them figuring out the Switch and milking that sweet sweet nostalgia at the same time. 

Reasonable, um... Reasoning, but a part of me thinks they mostly wanted to tap into that crazy GO fanbase. That and it helped to bridge the gap while they sorted out the model transfer catastrophe.

Didn't really take though. It only sold marginally better then most Pokémon remakes, and I'd put that more down to the Switch itself.

Mobile players generally don't want to pay for games.

Edited by Glen-i

46 minutes ago, Ashley said:

Most mobile gamers don't want to pay. You can't forget the whales 😉

Allow me to correct myself then. Mobile gamers generally don't want to pay upfront for a game.

It's not related to the anniversary but i had to put this somewhere...

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

OK, I don't even like Lucario that much and even I want that!

Using the tail as a supporting leg is clever.

Edited by Glen-i