NEurope
Dufniall

Pokémon 25th Anniversary

2 hours ago, MindFreak said:
  Reaction (Hide contents)

Given that they are counting down with the starters, it seems to just be a coincidence. But I wouldn't be surprised if they jumped straight into Let's Go, Sinnoh for the Diamond/Pearl remakes, I mean, why would they remake them in any other way?

Because those games deserve better than a remake that actually had less going for it than a GBA remake?

• Thanks 1

I agree. But that doesn't mean that Game Freak would remake them in the Sword/Shield-engine.

2 hours ago, MindFreak said:
  Reaction (Hide contents)

Given that they are counting down with the starters, it seems to just be a coincidence. But I wouldn't be surprised if they jumped straight into Let's Go, Sinnoh for the Diamond/Pearl remakes, I mean, why would they remake them in any other way?

Pretty much what @Glen-i said, and also because all of the other remake attempts up to this point have been to the modern standard set by that generation, both graphically and mechanically. 

I genuinely think the backlash for the Sinnoh remakes being Let's Go games could be far greater than the backlash for Dexit: it's the longest we've waited between remakes (not counting Let's Go, which is basically it's own series), and the longest we've waited between the initial releases of a generation to their remake (and heck, even the end of a generation to the remake of the first games of that generation). 

As someone who had these games as the big Pokémon titles in my life when I was younger, the ones where everyone I knew played them, and who has a lot of love for those games to this day, I'd personally be pretty disappointed if we ended up with Let's Go games rather than fully realised remakes as we've seen be the standard before (well, except for ORAS, but that sucked too). I also don't think it makes much sense financially or in terms of marketability for the Let's Go series to jump from Gen I to Gen IV, but that's a whole other can of worms. 

This all being said, while I would be disappointed by them being Let's Go games with the capture mechanics from those games, I agree with you that that doesn't necessarily mean being in the Sword/Shield engine (though I do think simply saying Let's Go Sinnoh games goes a bit beyond that, with your clarification I get what you mean, but can see why @Glen-i would have taken it as I initially did) and would be open to them remaking Sinnoh top-down like those games, and without Wild Areas, rather than trying to bring it fully into 3D. Though it'd be the logical next step after Sword/Shield, I think those games showed (among many other things) that Game Freak are still learning how to create interesting 3D spaces to explore, and though from what I've read here and elsewhere this improved in the Expansion Pass, I think they'll have a tough time taking the 2D, top-down designs of some areas, and forcing them to be 3D and a Wild Area instead. 

I guess we'll just have to wait and see, because I think they could try to justify going either way with it, but having Sinnoh remakes be Let's Go games would be a huge slap in the face to anyone who has been waiting for this (you know, besides ORAS and it's lack of a Battle Frontier). 

Edited by Julius

Is 'Dexit' some weird term Pokémon fans came up with to describe the fact Sword/Shield didn't have the full Pokédex?

Either that or the Decolore Islands declared independence. 

Edited by Mandalore
  • Haha 1

I hope they will remake Diamond and Pearl with the newest engine and not make them Let's Go-games (even though I actually enjoyed Let's Go, Pikachu, except that it was Red/Blue - would have preferred some of the later generations), I'm just saying that there is nothing that says that potential Diamond and Pearl remakes wouldn't be in the same style as Let's Go. What has historically happened with remakes is of course indicative but it doesn't guarantee anything.

25 minutes ago, MindFreak said:

I hope they will remake Diamond and Pearl with the newest engine and not make them Let's Go-games (even though I actually enjoyed Let's Go, Pikachu, except that it was Red/Blue - would have preferred some of the later generations), I'm just saying that there is nothing that says that potential Diamond and Pearl remakes wouldn't be in the same style as Let's Go. What has historically happened with remakes is of course indicative but it doesn't guarantee anything.

I mean, yeah, there's nothing to say it won't be in the same style as Let's Go with absolute certainty (I assume you mean visually, being top-down, rather than mechanically?), but as you say, what has happened historically is indicative and basically all we have to go on at this point, meaning the case for them getting fully fledged remakes in the most recent engine is stronger than them not. 

Like I said above, though, I wouldn't be totally against a top-down remake, mainly because I don't really trust Game Freak to do Sinnoh in 3D after Sword/Shield, even if I'd still want to see it. It would likely be a smoother development journey for them to have it be top-down, and if you couple it with the possibility of Let's Go games set in Johto, and the potential for an expansion pass for whatever these Diamond/Pearl remakes do end up being (Battle Frontier, build on the plots of the events in the original games), they can buy themselves time to hopefully make some real strides in how they incorporate 3D gameplay and exploration going into Gen IX. 

But that seems too logical a move for Game Freak to make :p 

8 hours ago, Ashley said:

Is 'Dexit' some weird term Pokémon fans came up with to describe the fact Sword/Shield didn't have the full Pokédex?

Galar's based on the UK, Brexit was in the news constantly when Sword/Shield released and it was the first mainline Pokémon game since Ruby/Sapphire where you couldn't transfer any Pokémon you liked, meaning it's impossible to get a full National Pokedex in it.

Calling it anything else would've just looked silly.

For a split second there...

This countdown has been a serious rollercoaster of emotions :laughing:

Edited by Julius

I was alluding to it in my previous post, but I think we’ll see Let’s Go Johto and the DP remakes.

12 hours ago, Ike said:

I was alluding to it in my previous post, but I think we’ll see Let’s Go Johto and the DP remakes.

Unless some outsourcing shenanigans have been going on (Doubtful of that...), I highly doubt Game Freak have developed two mainline games since Sword/Shield came out!

Edited by Glen-i

2 hours ago, Glen-i said:

Unless some outsourcing shenanigans have been going on (Doubtful of that...), I highly doubt Game Freak have developed two mainline games since Sword/Shield came out!

True, but they have the engines already, they just need to hit the "remake" button and done. Because that's how development works, apparently. They could pretend the models got corrupt so the only Pokemon available are Charizard and multiple variations of Pikachu in hats.

Either that or they are deliberately trying to throw people off/troll with their wordings in the countdown tweets.

Ended up looking on ebay earlier to find a Game Boy Color as I'm in the mood to play Gold and TGC. Alas I was outbid and gave up pretty quickly.

• Sad 2

8 minutes ago, Ashley said:

Ended up looking on ebay earlier to find a Game Boy Color as I'm in the mood to play Gold and TGC. Alas I was outbid and gave up pretty quickly.

Worth noting that both games are on 3DS for nice & cheap (G/S/C even have wireless multiplayer support!); if you're happy playing them on a newer handheld.

35 minutes ago, Ashley said:

Are GBA's cheaper?

Plus that Post Malone thing was bollocks.

Edited by EEVILMURRAY

1 hour ago, Dcubed said:

Worth noting that both games are on 3DS for nice & cheap (G/S/C even have wireless multiplayer support!); if you're happy playing them on a newer handheld.

1 hour ago, EEVILMURRAY said:

Are GBA's cheaper?

I don't have my 3DSes are any more (long story involving divorce, around-the-world relocations and a pandemic) and I want the GBC for the aesthetic. 

Would also accept a GameBoy Micro but those things are crazy prices.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Ashley said:

I don't have my 3DSes are any more (long story involving divorce, around-the-world relocations and a pandemic) and I want the GBC for the aesthetic.

Fair enough, figured that might be the case; but I figured it was worth mentioning.

Would also accept a GameBoy Micro but those things are crazy prices.

Gameboy Micro can't play GBC games; it's the only version of the GBA that has no backwards compatibility.

Edited by Dcubed
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Dcubed said:

Fair enough, figured that might be the case; but I figured it was worth mentioning.

Gameboy Micro can't play GBC games; it's the only version of the GBA that has no backwards compatibility.

Curse you Nintendo!
I'd still take a GBM for the aesthetic though. I did consider picking one up for my round the world trip last year (lols).

Do you know what we need for the anniversary celebrations? A return of this:

5c84e0d99303034a457b8508

• Thanks 2

17 hours ago, Ashley said:

5c84e0d99303034a457b8508

Oh god, major flashbacks!

I had a Charmander one.

18 hours ago, Ashley said:

5c84e0d99303034a457b8508

Holy crap!! I remember these!!

We used to have loads of them for some weird reason!