NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
Cube

Star Wars: Outlaws (Ubisoft)

Exciting... apart from the Ubisoft part.

Finding myself more and more turned off by their openworld game design.

Edited by Ronnie

Well, guess this confirms my thought that Lucasfilm Games was announced so that they could announce games which are in the works but will release after the EA deal, seeing as they only had publishing rights! 

Ubisoft, and Massive Games in particular (online..?), gives me pause, because Ubi certainly wouldn't have been my first choice. 

I'd be very surprised if this wasn't a High Republic game, because that seems like what they're trying to build up to after Mandalorian et al with all the published stuff, The Acolyte, etc., that they've got in the works currently. 

My only experience of Massive is The Division, so its hard to know what to expect, but their world building is very very good, so i have faith there.

I do however wonder what type of game will it be? they've done Assassin's creed before, so will it be a single player like that or will it be more like their most recent foray into GAAS? 

Now GAAS is a wierd one, I love Destiny, The Division not as much, played both and sold them after the first expansion realising everything was a bullet sponge and it wasn't fun. Marvel is the only new GAAS i've played and that as a concept was good, the execution? well dire.

So i don't really want a GAAS.......HOWEVER, Star War's massive online multiplayers have been great, KOTOR is very popular, but having not played it, that's the limit of my experience, but Star Wars Galaxies? now that was fantastic, I put about 2500 hours into that before the NGE ruined my jedi run (was waiting the stranger to put me on the path and left for two months to concentrate on uni and when i came back, Jedi were a crap starting class)

So i'm cautiously optimistic - the dev's world building is top notch and star wars can work well if its either a single player or a multiplayers, so heres hoping this doesn't buck the trend

A couple of tidbits on the game from the Ubisoft Conference Call: the game will be developed in the Snowdrop Engine (which Ubisoft Massive has used previously for the Division games) and that it is not going to release prior to the Avatar game announced in 2017 (which is apparently still in the works). That one got delayed back in November to 2022, so that lines up with this not coming out until after the EA publishing deal is up. 

It's going to be a long couple of years waiting for this, but hopefully it'll be worth it! Curious to see if the basis of the publishing deal extends to marketing too (such as revealing the game), but I doubt it, seeing as it's already been announced (albeit just as being in the works). 

This now has a title (Outlaws), year of release (2024), and trailer (below)!

Watch the World Premiere trailer of Star Wars Outlaws. Introducing scoundrel Kay ess in the first-ever open world Star Wars game. Coming 2024. 

Experience the first-ever open world Star Wars™ game, set between the events ofThe Empire Strikes Back and Return of the Jedi. Explore distinct planets across the galaxy, both iconic and new. Risk it all as Kay Vess, an emerging scoundrel seeking freedom and the means to start a new life, along with her companion Nix. Fight, steal, and outwit your way through the galaxy's crime syndicates as you join the galaxy's most wanted.

Finally something set between Empire and Jedi :bouncy: that axolotl-looking thing looks cute as hell! And today I learned a commando droid in a coat looks cool as hell :D

Edited by Julius

Gameplay from today's Ubisoft Forward:

Also, a chat with Kay Vess' actor, Humberly Gonzalez (what a cool and unique first name!):

So, uh, is it bad if I feel I might be jaded by the last few years of releases? Because this looks incredible – too incredible – to the point that I'm honestly a little suspicious. Am I alone in this? It kind of looks like a dream Star Wars game. 

Everything from the UI (like the WANTED flashing in red on the screen) to gameplay/cutscene transitions (the planet's atmosphere one caught my eye) to the size and look and sound of every place, just...it's too good. I know it's just a demo and there's a year of polish surely to come with its 2024 release date, but dang, I need someone to rein me and my expectations in here. 

I mean it's Ubisoft. There's got to be something that's going to go wrong with it...right? 

Edited by Julius

Posted (edited)

The game was rated yesterday in South Korea, getting a 19+ (or Mature) rating. 

ojMSzG4.png

Interesting.

September/October time I guess? 

Edited by Julius

On 22/03/2024 at 6:05 PM, Julius said:

The game was rated yesterday in South Korea, getting a 19+ (or Mature) rating. 

ojMSzG4.png

Interesting.

September/October time I guess? 

It was also just rated in Australia. I wonder if a release date is closer than we think?

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Hero-of-Time said:

It was also just rated in Australia. I wonder if a release date is closer than we think?

It's definitely possible; weren't their rumours before the internal delay that it would be making it out sometime between March and May? 

It's Star Wars, so it will sell well whenever it's released, but with The Acolyte releasing from June into July, a mid-to-late summer release would dovetail off of that really nicely, I think. Have a big blowout on the game during Not-E3 time. 

I'm still unsure how I feel about this game, it's Star Wars so I'll play it and was impressed by what we saw but I feel like we just don't know enough. I'm also very curious about what our next look at the game looks like, and obviously when we get it. Could definitely see us getting something for it on or around May 4th to drag it back into the public consciousness, but I'm honestly expecting a bit of a dip in performance and appearance compared to when we last saw it. 

Because Ubisoft :p

• Like 1

Sign in to follow this