NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
Hero-of-Time

What Do You Want From Nintendo In 2021?

I think most of us on here can agree that Nintendo had a weak year in 2020 when it came to software output. Again, quite a few of us on here seem to drift away from the platform altogether and focus our gaming time elsewhere. Despite this, Nintendo managed to rake in the cash thanks to titles like Animal Crossing and evergreen games such as Mario Kart and BOTW. As a platform, the Switch has done nothing but go from strength to strength, at least in terms of sales.

2021 will hopefully bring some big hitters to the table, as well as a few surprises. Some of Nintendo's own franchises are celebrating anniversaries this year and Nintendo have proven that they aren't shy about dropping games out of the blue.

What do you want from Nintendo and the Switch this year? Is there a particular game you are hoping to be announced or get released? For those who felt last year was a weak showing, what can be done differently this year? To anyone who fell away from the platform, what is needed in order for you to come back on board?

• Thanks 4

I've come very close to selling my Switch at the end of 2020.

I got my money's worth out of the device in about 6 months after I caught up with the exclusives that interested me and then...nothing.
The console needs exclusives coming out to make me keep mine. The endless stream of ports doesn't help.

Metroid Prime 4 is in limbo, BotW 2 seems quite a bit away, too.

Pretty much the only reason why I kept the console: Indies...or rather, roguelites. Being able to play them in handheld mode is awesome. Put on a podcast, some football, music and just dive into a roguelite. Love it.
(the possibility of a Switch Pro also helps...having the current model to trade in is quite nice; then again...I have no interest in a new model if there's fuck all to play...)

• Like 1

I hope that all the upcoming anniversaries get a bit of attention, and not just Zelda. There are too many IPs not getting any attention anymore, and I hope they right that wrong this year. Stuff like F-Zero, Star Fox, Wario, you know the list. :p I'm especially hoping for something Metroid this year, it won't be MP4 but maybe the long-awaited Prime Trilogy HD or a new 2.5 Metroid would be good.

Further a new console added to the Nintendo Switch Online service would be nice. Be it Game Boy or N64 or something else, just show that you can look past the NES/SNES. 

To be honest for the rest I still have plenty to play on my Switch, and with both Monster Hunter Rise and Mario 3D World coming up my first months are filled. I would like a proper new multiplayer title though to rekindle that play-together spirit here. Something like Mario Kart 9, Splatoon 3 or something else entirely (surprise us!) I wouldn't say no to.

I sold all my physical Switch games this year and the only reason the console didn’t go with them was that I wasn’t in the mood that day to deal with the hassle.

I’m never gonna get games on the Switch that I can play elsewhere so if I do keep the console then I need some exclusive stuff that draws me in. Re-releases of Mario games that I’ve played before didn’t do that so to be honest I don’t know what I want. I can’t think of anything announced at the moment that I want to get.

I'll post a bit more about what I want out of Nintendo's 2021 later, but just to say, with so many anniversaries coming up this year, it's really hard to not imagine that many here with a Wii U/just having played Nintendo games all their life will be left somewhat disappointed.

Expecting a whole lot of ports/remasters/remakes because of this (not saying that there won't be anything new, but it's hard to not imagine more games returning than usual).

I mean, just thinking of games returning and nothing new, strictly speaking anniversaries, for Pokémon there's Pokémon Diamond and Pearl remakes, ports of maybe FireRed and LeafGreen for the anniversary, maybe even a remake of Explorers of Sky (might be too early for this) and/or ports of some of the other games? For Zelda: some sort of collection for the earlier 3D games, either split into two (Ocarina of Time and Majora's Mask, Wind Waker and Twilight Princess) or with one inevitably missing (probably Majora's Mask out of those four), Skyward Sword HD, maybe ports/a remake of the Oracle games? For Metroid, maybe Prime Trilogy and either ports of older games or another 2D remake (Zero Mission? Can't see them wanting to touch Super Metroid, especially with it already on SNES Online)? For Donkey Kong, maybe Donkey Kong 40 (which in concept sounds like a blast to be honest), and a port of Donkey Kong County Returns? 

That's a lot of stuff which would could be making a comeback, and like @Vileplume2000 mentions, that's barely scratching the surface of the anniversaries on the way this year, though I do also hope those (relatively) smaller franchises you mentioned get their time in the spotlight too! 

In terms of software line-ups generally:

- 2017 was obviously an insane year, probably the best first 12 months of a new console ever.
- 2018 was quieter
- 2019 was again insane and felt like a big Nintendo published game every month!
- 2020 was quieter, but obviously Covid didn't help.

Covid notwithstanding, expecting a bigger year from Nintendo coming up. 

A new top down Zelda game would be great, not a remake, not a recycled overworld (much as I adored A Link Between Worlds). Brand new game. They'll go all out for Zelda this year.

Mario Odyssey 2 would be nice at the end of the year too.

A few things...

• A new Switch is definitely on the way, especially as there's evidence to show that the current Tegra chip Nintendo are using has reached the end of its production line. I imagine it will release alongside BOTW2 - hopefully it provides a decent bump in specs (consistent 1080p and solid framerates would be a great start)
  • The online subscription is lacking games. NES and SNES software is fine but I really hope they add in GBA and GBC games sooner rather than later
  • I'd love to know what the Xenoblade team are working on. A small team worked on the XC1 remaster and XC2 release in 2017 - surely it must be time for them to show off something new?
  • Metroid. Even if Prime 4 is a way off, then a 2D title and the Prime Trilogy would be excellent
  • It's the Zelda anniversary this year. As well as the obvious ports, I'd love a HD remaster of Four Sword Adventures. It's an underrated gem and I'd love to play it again.
  • F-Zero.

Metroid Prime 4 and Breath of the Wild 2 certainly hit the bill (hopefully Hyrule Warriors and the Cursed Child is completely ignored) if done well.

Things I would love:

- a 2D Metroid. With nice looking 2D graphics (not like Samus Returns). I'd be fine with a trusted third party (or indie studio) handling it. 

- Mario Kart 9 (or 10 if they're classing Tour). It has been nearly 7 years since the last one. Even if they take the content from Mario Kart Tour and put it in the Mario Kart 8 engine, I would be fine with that. I just want a new Mario Kart that doesn't involve lootcrates or spending £370 to play locally in a very limited capacity. 

- A new Wii Sports. The Switch is quite capable of this, comes with two controllers as standard. Bowling on 51 Worldwide Classics was a decent attempt, but is limited to two players. It seems like an obvious success, easy to produce and would sell well with the audience. I don't understand why it hasn't been done. 

- On a similar note, Wario Ware. Could have sets of minigames designed for docked and sets designed for handheld. A creation mode would be nice, as long as it's not locked behind Nintendo Switch Online like Mario Maker 2 (which kind of ruined it). 

- A new F-Zero would be a pipe dream.

- Kid Icarus Uprising 2. It was a wonderful game and I'd love to see a sequel. 

There's lots of suggestions about a Zelda pack. I'm not too concerned about this myself, the second screen inventory has spoiled those games for me, I'm not sure I could go back to having to pause. Metroid Prime Trilogy with dual analogue as an option would be great.

• Like 1

Xenoblade Chronicles X Deluxe
Yoshi's Woolly World Deluxe
Nintendo Land Deluxe

Spoiler

Devil's Third Deluxe

Edited by Nicktendo
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Nicktendo said:

Nintendo Land Deluxe

I'd genuinely love this tbf, such an under-rated game

• Like 1

What do I want from Nintendo themselves? When I think about it, very little! There are plenty of Nintendo games I still don't have (Fire Emblem: Three Houses, Origami King, the Wii U ports, etc) and since my ownership of a Switch doesn't live or die by Breath of the Wild 2 or Metroid Prime 4, I'm in a good place with it going into 2021--in fact, I'm snowed under with games.

Personally, I suppose it would be cool to have more updates in Mario Maker 2 (there is still space for another style!), it would be nice to have an Animal Crossing update that adds makes menu management and island renovations faster and easier, has the ship sailed on Odyssey and Super Mario Party DLC? Hmm, in fact, maybe they could ease off on the Mario output for a while to let us (me) play what is already there. 

A Nintendo RPG that isn't Mario or Xenoblade but something totally new? F-Zero with a story mode and galactic travel like a Mario Sports RPG mixed with a Star Fox Battle for Atlas? A new Super Tennis? Crazy asks. Perhaps Another Code is gone forever but what about a new Nintendo-made point-and-click style adventure game? What about Nintendo sending Camelot to assist the Sports Story indie dev? Ooh, wait, what about a follow-up to Mario & Rabbids. I do like the Rabbids. A Rabbids RPG with a job system. Imagine the chaos!

Nintendo are far better at coming up with ideas than me, so I'm glad to leave it up to them and if none of what I said comes to fruition there will still be the eShop!

Okay there is one thing I'd like as soon as possible: Joycons that don't drift. If they release a model with no drift (have they?) I'd be there day one. I never really played the Switch in portable mode anyway, but since the left joycon went out of whack over a year ago, I bought a pro controller and keep it docked now.  It's just no fun to fight with it. 

• Like 2

I don't really "want" anything as my active playing is down significantly lately so I'm not looking to engage with their products, but as a company it would be good to see them branch out into more new IPs. My problem with Nintendo consoles is they essentially go through a checklist of franchises to include and while the games themselves may become good it all becomes a bit unexciting for me personally as I know what to expect within the fiveish years of a console's life.

I would welcome some improvements to the eShop navigation and keyboard next word thing but not huge problems, just nice to haves.

And more Rick obviously. 

• Thanks 1

For me I just want more exclusive, big name games. I know that's sometimes easier said than done, but it seems like Nintendo have been riding on the success of this thing for too long now, and are almost sat back just counting the dollar. 

I'm sure there's a meme for that. :p

When I think of 2020 for the Switch, all I think is Animal Crossing. Because that's basically the only thing I found worth bothering with. Don't get me wrong, I would like to play Paper Mario and also the new Hyrule Warriors, but they're not 'must haves' for me.

It's a shame that Nintendo also seem to leave some games cold. I've sold games like Mario Party, Animal Crossing, MK8 etc because I've had all my fun with them and nothing entices me back. I found the AC 'updates' to be very weak and not enough to lure me back in, and I do believe Nintendo have missed a trick not adding content to games like MK8 or Mario Party. These are games that I feel like Nintendo want me to keep playing months / years after buying them, but when they're just left to exist in the same form they arrived in (AC aside), it leaves me feeling a bit disappointed. 

I'll be honest and say I am also absolutely sick of remakes. And it's not just Nintendo that is aimed at. But I don't want a port. Give me something new and fresh and something to get excited about. I'm not even talking new IP's either.

I don't know how many times I've said it on this forum but give me Super Princess Peach 2 please.

Since the Switch Nintendo have felt a bit 'safe' to me. I'd love to see more new games or sequels to popular games that we haven't had for a while, like Mario Golf, Captain Toad, Donkey Kong, etc. 

• The online subscription is lacking games. NES and SNES software is fine but I really hope they add in GBA and GBC games sooner rather than later

• Dream a little bigger dude!

Microsoft and Sony are giving away current generation games with their online subscription! I realise that Nintendo's is a fraction of the price, but you could still wish for something a teensy bit more recent.
    • Like 2

12 minutes ago, darksnowman said:

has the ship sailed on Odyssey and Super Mario Party DLC? 

I think Nintendo would excel at standalone DLCs. Short, experimental adventures sold separately. Like Bowser's Fury but not attached to a full game. The Splatoon 2 Octo Expansion would be an amazing standalone game. 

17 minutes ago, darksnowman said:

has the ship sailed on Odyssey and Super Mario Party DLC? 

Mario Party DLC seems one of those patently obvious things that you'd expect it...like Nintendo Land DLC.

Partner with more Indies like with Cadence of Hyrule. That or just some new IPs.

I just want to see new stuff from them. At the moment it feels like they've essentially abandoned their most loyal customers, everyone that supported the Wii U. Not saying that they were wrong to port all that stuff to Switch, I mean we're talking about some fantastic games that absolutely deserved a second chance, but it shouldn't have been done at the expense of original content for those of us that have seen it all before. :blank:

Also, it seems like the merging of Nintendo's handheld and home console divisions has had little to no positive impact on development or software output whatsoever! And this I simply cannot comprehend, how is it possible to actually be less productive when you unify all of your resources but only have a single platform to provide content for!? Why are we not really seeing any benefits from the entirety of Nintendo's teams focused 100% on Switch? ::shrug: The Wii U ports and mobile titles (most of which is probably outsourced) surely can't be responsible for such a lack of new content. :hmm:

As for what I'd personally like to see from Nintendo in 2021, or you know... ever :D:

• An original WarioWare game. Or D.I.Y. 2, that would be a dream come true for me.
    • A new entry in the now criminally overlooked F-Zero series.
    • New Pilotwings, Nintendogs, Wii Sports/Music, Rhythm Tengoku, Advance Wars...
    • Do something creative with StarFox. It's a great IP but I feel it needs a new direction.
    • More content added to MK8DX, or better yet a brand new MK game. They didn't even add LABO VR support to it, which is bonkers.
    • Much more content added to Mario Tennis Aces! That was (and still is) basically half a game. :shakehead
    • Update Animal Crossing to bring in some much needed QoL improvements.
    • Additional styles/mechanics for SMM2, not sure why they've ended support for this so soon. If a new "Maker" title is on the way then fine, a Zelda Maker would be fantastic.
    • Add a character that I actually like to Smash Ultimate. Kiryu, Ulala, Tingle... you know the drill. :heh:
    • Way more incentives/rewards for Switch Online members. More retro systems/games added to the service, and more stuff like Tetris 99, Mario 35 etc.
    • Make something quirky and unexpected again, like Rupeeland or Tomodachi Collection.
    • Do more with My Nintendo. Try to bring something like the Stars Catalogue back.
    • Create a messaging and social feature/app for the Switch. Either something standard or something more Nintendo-y like Letterbox, Miiverse or Miitomo.
    • Enable Joy-Con deadzone customisation in the Switch system settings to help with the drift situation. 
    • Have a change in attitude to eShop sales and be a bit more generous with discounts, particularly concerning older titles.
    • Get Zelda BotW 2 released.

• Like 1
    • Thanks 1

To be honest? I’d rather see them just focus on Switch 2 now.

I don’t think their development resources are particularly well spent on pumping out more large scale titles on Switch anymore.  The Switch is selling on its own now, they could easily just let the system coast on 3rd party games & Wii U ports now, along with a few smaller titles like Rhythm Heaven, until March 2023.

I’d rather see them just push every major internally developed Switch game over to Switch 2 now.  Focus on making it the best launch possible; get Metroid 5/Prime 4, BOTW 2, Advance Wars Returns and Bayonetta 3 out in the first year of Switch 2’s life!

All I want from Switch now are the rest of the missing Wii U games, Skyward Sword HD and maybe some smaller games like Wario Ware & Rhythm Heaven.  Also more localisations of JPN only games in the same vein as Fire Emblem: Shadow Dragon & The Blade of Light (actually, fuck everything else! Just give me more of that please!)

Jusf focus on making Switch 2 awesome; fix the horrendous hardware issues plaguing the current Switch (also making sure you have IR pointing/sensor bars and an Active Stylus in the box this time!) and let’s hit the ground running with a new generation! (Oh and bring back the VC properly with localised JPN VC games too, you hicks!)

Edited by Dcubed

28 minutes ago, Dcubed said:

To be honest? I’d rather see them just focus on Switch 2 now.

I don’t think their development resources are particularly well spent on pumping out more large scale titles on Switch anymore.  The Switch is selling on its own now, they could easily just let the system coast on 3rd party games & Wii U ports now, along with a few smaller titles like Rhythm Heaven, until March 2023.

I’d rather see them just push every major internally developed Switch game over to Switch 2 now.  Focus on making it the best launch possible; get Metroid 5/Prime 4, BOTW 2, Advance Wars Returns and Bayonetta 3 out in the first year of Switch 2’s life!

All I want from Switch now are the rest of the missing Wii U games, Skyward Sword HD and maybe some smaller games like Wario Ware & Rhythm Heaven.  Also more localisations of JPN only games in the same vein as Fire Emblem: Shadow Dragon & The Blade of Light (actually, fuck everything else! Just give me more of that please!)

Jusf focus on making Switch 2 awesome; fix the horrendous hardware issues plaguing the current Switch (also making sure you have IR pointing/sensor bars and an Active Stylus in the box this time!) and let’s hit the ground running with a new generation! (Oh and bring back the VC properly with localised JPN VC games too, you hicks!)

That'd piss off A LOT of people.

BOTW2, Odyssey 2 and Metroid Prime 4 have to come out on the current Switch. Then in the 2-3 years after that they can shift to Switch 2 development.

3 hours ago, Cube said:

I think Nintendo would excel at standalone DLCs. Short, experimental adventures sold separately. Like Bowser's Fury but not attached to a full game. The Splatoon 2 Octo Expansion would be an amazing standalone game. 

Is this standard practise with other companies or just something you would demand of Nintendo in 2021? Like, I never considered--or saw anyone--asking for Bowser's Minions to be added to the 3DS eShop as its own game. Or any other bonuses that came with previous Mario ports and remasters, for that matter. Nowadays it seems to be the usual practise for them to add a bonus mode to a Mario re-release based on their past form--who's up for owning Mario Bros. arcade again? :laughing: As for Splatoon, maybe the "normal" practise with a shooter would be to release the single player as the main game and the multiplayer as the DLC? Anyway from what I've seen, Nintendo have shown themselves open to spinning DLC content off into their own games if and when it grows big enough to be deemed standalone-worthy. Case in point: Cadence of Hyrule started out as DLC for Crypt of the Necrodancer. So I'm confident they'll do the same this year should the opportunity be there.

@Dcubed Just me or is it a bit soon to be looking to a Switch 2? Give us a chance to play the current Switch first man! :o 

I'm on the more new stuff-boat. While I've had plenty to play in 2020 due to indies, I would love a bit more to play from Nintendo themselves. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, darksnowman said:

Is this standard practise with other companies or just something you would demand of Nintendo in 2021?

It happens every now and then. There's a few Infamous "standalone expansions", Far Cry did one once, Nintendo did it with New Super Luigi U was another example.

It's not a standard practice, I just think it would fit in with how Nintendo like to test out crazy ideas every now and then. 

2 minutes ago, Cube said:

It happens every now and then. There's a few Infamous "standalone expansions", Far Cry did one once, Nintendo did it with New Super Luigi U was another example.

It's not a standard practice, I just think it would fit in with how Nintendo like to test out crazy ideas every now and then. 

Monster Hunter World: Iceborne and Xenoblade Chronicles 2: Torna the Golden Country also spring into mind. 

8 minutes ago, darksnowman said:

Is this standard practise with other companies or just something you would demand of Nintendo in 2021? Like, I never considered--or saw anyone--asking for Bowser's Minions to be added to the 3DS eShop as its own game. Or any other bonuses that came with previous Mario ports and remasters, for that matter. Nowadays it seems to be the usual practise for them to add a bonus mode to a Mario re-release based on their past form--who's up for owning Mario Bros. arcade again? :laughing: 

I can only imagine they do this to give people an incentive to double-dip. Or maybe to give the creative team he chance to do something out-of-the-box for a change.

36 minutes ago, Ronnie said:

That'd piss off A LOT of people.

BOTW2, Odyssey 2 and Metroid Prime 4 have to come out on the current Switch. Then in the 2-3 years after that they can shift to Switch 2 development.

I honestly doubt we're getting SMO2, because getting a new, next gen Mario ready for 2023 (or whenever) for the next Switch will likely be a priority. BOTW2 will definitely release on Switch but even Prime 4 will probably end up as a cross-generation game. We're still a while away from it.

Switching to Switch 2 development in 2-3 years time is too late, because it takes several years to develop software (as in, shifting development in 2022/23 will get you software for 2024/25). I imagine most internal teams that start new projects by the end of the year will be focused on launching on Switch 2, with the option of launching across generational devices.

Sign in to follow this