NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
Julius

Indiana Jones and The Great Circle (Late 2024)

Well here we go, looks like that Lucasfilm Games moniker is already coming into play! 

To address the elephant in the room: don't see Disney letting this be Xbox exclusive (unless they've given PlayStation something exclusive too), it just wouldn't make much sense financially. Pure speculation, but maybe the licensing agreement and Bethesda developing will mean that while it's on both platforms, but it will be available Day 1 on Game Pass? Then again, the deal doesn't finalise until June 2021, so who knows ::shrug:

Also, MachineGames definitely the logical choice for shooting Nazis, though I do hope it's third person rather than first. Because a whip in first person seems like it would be difficult to get right? 

Edited by Julius

On 1/12/2021 at 5:07 PM, Julius said:

though I do hope it's third person rather than first

Will be interesting to see if they can pull that off, if they go for it. They definitely got first person shooting right, maybe they can make it work with Indy.

18 minutes ago, drahkon said:

Will be interesting to see if they can pull that off, if they go for it. They definitely got first person shooting right, maybe they can make it work with Indy.

Yeah, maybe! I'm just trying to imagine a good whip animation in first person and every time I'm just imagining the whip flailing about :laughing:

9 minutes ago, Julius said:

Yeah, maybe! I'm just trying to imagine a good whip animation in first person and every time I'm just imagining the whip flailing about :laughing:

tenor.gif?itemid=6563586

I don't see the issue. This would be hilarious/awesome in first person :p

Edited by drahkon
  • Haha 1

Title is stupid as leaked (and the Great Circle), and first-person focus with third-person elements at times confirmed. Coming late this year. 

Looks fantastic, probably only the second Series X|S first-party game I've been interested in (after Forza Horizon 5). Gordy Haab composing too? Troy Baker confirmed to be voicing Indy (that seems like a statement)? Great stuff!

Still got a long way to go, but maybe the Series X could be a solid system to pick up when on sale towards the end of the gen :laughing:

Edited by Julius

The title actually would've made sense if it were a third person game, because then it'd be coming full circle with it being a Tomb Raider ripoff, which is an Uncharted ripoff, which is a Tomb Raider ripoff, which is an Indiana Jones ripoff.

Missed opportunity that.

7 minutes ago, Dcubed said:

The title actually would've made sense if it were a third person game, because then it'd be coming full circle with it being a Tomb Raider ripoff, which is an Uncharted ripoff, which is a Tomb Raider ripoff, which is an Indiana Jones ripoff.

Missed opportunity that.

It's definitely one of the dumbest game titles I've seen in a while, and that's saying something :laughing:

I will say, though, while I'm generally not the biggest fan of first-person games outside of shooter-based ones, the decision to go first-person with this game is incredibly clever because it immediately differentiates itself from those other franchises you listed. I am absolutely an advocate for third-person to at least be an option in games like this which heavily emphasise others aspects of gameplay, not least because I feel like you risk shrinking your potential audience without it, but I think it works solely for that reason. I'm not sure what it is about it, but it also gives me an old school licensed game vibes in a way the modern Star Wars games, for example, haven't. 

Tangential to your point about who ripped off who, I read something yesterday where it clicked for someone that Todd's involvement made a lot of sense for them when they considered the puzzles and cave/dungeon exploration in something like Skyrim. Also had no idea he was such a big Indy fan. 

I've got to say, is a bit weird to me that you go so far as to get Harrison Ford's likeness, though, then have the game be first-person (also: so much for the franchise living on after him, I guess?). It kind of reminds me of Cyberpunk – kind of crazy to me that in a game like that with so many things you can customise about your character and "Cool" being an attribute that you can't see your character in third-person outside of hopping on a bike. Just give us the options, darn it! It's kind of crazy just how much of Xbox's major first-party content is first-person, I genuinely wonder if that decision is hurting them, even if it's probably more to the tastes of traditional PC players. 

I'm actually pretty excited for this one. Come on Xbox, after Forza Horizon 5 you've just got another 3 games to start seriously tempting me :p they've got Blade too, I guess? Though I'd want to see gameplay for that first. 

I am quite mixed on this game. I love the Indy franchise, excluding Crystall Skull, but I've not actually played any games. From a story and gameplay perspective it certainly peaks my interest. The comparisons to Tomb Raider make me chuckle, as someone mentioned before who ripped off who when Indy was the probably the inspiration for Lara and Nathan's games.

The other comments about 1st vs 3rd person, well for me I respect they came to that decision for a reason. The gameplay and what the developer wants to achieve should dictate the perspective, not the genre or what other games in the genre do.

The only thing I can't shake is the facial animations. They feel a little robotic I'm not sure if it's the lip syncing being off in the trailer but even the intro where they show the villain he has a really wobbly head for some reason. Apart from that, I'm certainly interested in this one even if I'm not a fan of the Wolfenstein games happy to see what they do here.

I'm not sure if it's the lip syncing being off in the trailer but even the intro where they show the villain he has a really wobbly head for some reason.

That just shows how villainous he is. The more villainous the bad guy, the wobblier the head.

6 hours ago, bob said:

That just shows how villainous he is. The more villainous the bad guy, the wobblier the head.

IInteresting, maybe he's possessed and it will get worse over the course of the game

Sign in to follow this