NEurope
Cube

Your 2021 Gaming Diary

1 hour ago, Julius said:

giphy.webp?cid=6c09b9526b808c9f8529e0bb7

Good. :p

Edited by drahkon
  • Haha 3

A couple more games finished, first up is...

The Wild at Heart.

This caught my eye on Game Pass so decided to check it out, I then ended up playing pretty much nothing else until finishing it. This game is basically a massive homage to Pikmin! I suppose you could call it a massive rip-off too, but I feel that would be unfair to the devs, as while it does indeed borrow heavily from the Pikmin series (understatement :heh:) you can tell they had good intentions, not to mention a lot of love for Nintendo's work. The fact they were able to replicate the vibe of Pikmin and its gameplay mechanics so well is proof enough of that.

The game looks, sounds and plays great, but there are some issues. For example, when you have more than 20 or so Pikmin following you around (they're obviously not called Pikmin in the game, but I can't actually remember their name now so will refer to them as Pikmin :D) things can get pretty choppy, it's nothing game breaking but it's certainly very noticeable at times, especially during the later stages when you have the maximum amount accompanying you.
There were also a few occasions where it wasn't too clear how to traverse the environment in order to progress, meaning I was left wandering around for a while. Now this could be seen as a negative of a positive I guess (depending on how you like exploration in games) but for me it did get a little bit frustrating once or twice.

Apart from that stuff though I had a blast playing The Wild at Heart, and in some ways I think I even found it more enjoyable than any title from the genuine Pikmin series! :o

Next up is the game that would've been completed first (if it weren't for "Pikmin" :hehe:) and that is...

Just Cause 4.

Every once in a while it's nice to just play something that's dumb and doesn't take itself too seriously, and this series fits the bill perfectly! I mean it's basically the video game equivalent of the movie Commando. :laughing: One guy running around taking on an entire army using an absolutely ludicrous amount of fire-power and spectacularly blowing up pretty much everything in the process. What's not to love?

Right?... WRONG! :grin:

Yeah, for everything this game does well, it also gets a hell of a lot wrong. Like the mission/level design, well, I say level design but it's difficult to see what exactly the designers have actually done in this, other than create a handful of mission objectives and then repeat those over the course of the entire campaign. After a few missions you've literally seen it all, they just have you running/driving/flying from one waypoint to another, activating switches and shooting at goons/various mechanical structures until they explode. It's seriously lacking in variety.

Having said that, the spectacle of all the explosions going on combined with the completely unrealistic physics does help to make each mission more enjoyable, and there's often something unexpected/funny going on which helps keep you going. The same cannot be said for the story, which is unsurprisingly atrocious. And the cutscenes are even worse! For some bizarre reason they appear to be pre-rendered (using the lowest visual settings) and then massively compressed to add insult to injury! Why they weren't done in-engine I'll never know. ::shrug:

Anyway, repetitive mission structure and awful cutscenes aside, I did still manage to enjoy most of my time with Just Cause 4, but definitely not as much as I did with 2 or 3 for that matter. Even so, if Just Cause 5 happens I'll probably still play it, you know... just 'cause. :p

Completed:

1.     Tetris Effect: Connected (PC)
  2.     Doom Eternal (PC)
  3.     Dragon Quest XI (PC)
  4.     The Medium (PC)
  5.     Yakuza 3 Remastered (PC)
  6.     UnderMine (PC)
  7.     Ring Fit Adventure (Switch)
  8.     Levelhead (PC)
  9.     Superhot: Mind Control Delete (PC)
  10.     Sea of Thieves (PC)
  11.     Doom (PC)
  12.     Monster Hunter Rise (Switch)
  13.     World of Demons (Apple TV)
  14.     The Wild at Heart (PC)
  15.     Just Cause 4 (PC)

Played for a while:

•     Cyber Shadow (PC)
  •     Control (PC)
  •     Yooka-Laylee and the Impossible Lair (PC)
  •     Yakuza 4 Remastered (PC)
  •     Wreckfest (PC)
  •     Taiko no Tatsujin Pop Tap Beat (Apple TV)
  •     Wonderbox: The Adventure Maker (Apple TV/Mobile)
  •     Clap Hanz Golf (Apple TV)
  •     Dragon Quest Builders 2 (PC)

Older games that I'm still playing regularly:

•     Mario Kart Tour (Mobile)
  •     Animal Crossing: New Horizons (Switch)
  •     Super Smash Bros. Ultimate (Switch)
  •     Rocket League (Switch/PC)
  •     Super Mario Maker 2 (Switch)
  •     Tetris 99 (Switch)
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

I kicked off May by finishing up Castlevania: Symphony of the Night on PS4 (via PS5) and I had a blast playing through it. In the beginning it was quite tough, the lack of any instruction meant that I didn't know how to save at all so I had to replay the opening a couple of times, then some of the early boss fights gave me trouble (especially that bloody Doppelganger) but as I gained more abilities and upgrades it became a much more enjoyable experience. In fact overall the game seemed too easy, it is definitely the least challenging Castlevania that I've played (if you discount the use of save states from earlier entries) by the end of the game you have so much health that you can basically just tank through the final boss. Speaking of which what I thought was the final boss was such an anticlimax, Richter recked me when I first encountered him but after wrapping up the rest of the castle I returned to him and it wasn't a fair fight at all. The conclusion to the narrative seemed so limp and unsatisfying that I knew there had to be more to the game that I hadn't seen - and I'd always head people raving about the inverted castle, so sure enough a quick Google search taught me that there was much more to explore. I initially used a guide to point me in the right direction but the rest of the playthrough was all about discovery, coming across all the classic Castlevania bosses that were scattered throughout the inverted castle. I can't say it has ousted Super Metroid or Hollow Knight but I can see why so many people rave about SOTN, it was such a bold new direction for the series and the sheer variety of weapons, items and upgrades offer up so many different approaches to the gameplay. And it doesn't hurt that the music is phenomenal to boot.

After OlliOlli World was announced recently I thought it was time that I picked up Switch Stance to play through OlliOlli 2: Welcome to Olliwood. I think I got the first one in a humble bundle for Wii U and 3DS way back in 2016 and I got obsessed with it, practically completing it 100% on both systems, it seemed like I mastered all the combos so I expected the sequel to be similarly engrossing but the difficulty proved too much for me to conquer. I partly blame the Switch analogue sticks for my inability to pull off some combos but even that isn't enough of an excuse for my lack of ability - I didn't even manage to unlock all of the pro levels in Olliwood. I still had a good time playing through it and got plenty of hours of playtime for my money (well worth the less than £3 I paid on the eShop) but I don't really feel like I achieved much in my time with the game!

When The Missing: JJ Macfield and the Island of Memories came out in 2018 it wasn't really on my radar, it was only really the Easy Allies crew talking it up that convinced me to check it out (their praise for it and its inclusion in their 2018 GOTY's enough for me to put it on my list) but I still didn't know too much about it before playing, besides it being a side scroller with a touching story that included LGBT themes (and that it was a little janky in places). It had been sitting on my Switch for quite a while but I finally got around to playing it last week and it had a pretty big impact on me. Sure the gameplay is a bit rough and frustrating at times but the mechanics gel rather neatly with the narrative and themes and the central concept of dying or becoming disembodied to progress through puzzles provides plenty of surprise and variety to the experience. At its heart though is a wonderfully told story about a young person coming to terms with their gender identity, the deep connection she has with her best friend and the other relationships that we get to experience through the text messages in her phone. As a transwoman myself some of the text exchanges hit very close to home, especially JJ's parent's desperate attempts to understand and process the news, certain that JJ's gender identity is an 'aberration' that can be corrected through therapy, was right on the money - even with the jank The Missing is a beautiful game, with a sensitively and eloquently crafted narrative, a game that will sit with me for a long time to come.

Lastly I played through Little Nightmares II on the PS5. It is cheating a little bit to include it in this update, seeing as I technically finished it in June, but it seems silly to leave a month before I write my thoughts on it. I loved the first game, drawn in by the freaky visuals and character designs but really won over by the foreboding atmosphere and tense gameplay so I was delighted that Tarsier announced a follow up. It's effectively more of the same but it takes you to more varied environments than the first outing, from a cabin in the woods to a dilapidated city populated by giant aggressive weirdos who are easily distracted by TV, but the biggest shift is that you have a (mostly) constant companion to accompany you through the tense close encounters. I have to admit that the quality dipped a little as it neared the end, especially as far as the narrative goes,  and the original game feels more consistent on the whole, but the heights are truly engaging - it honestly features some of the most unsettling moments I've ever experienced in a game which is mightily impressive for a side scroller.  

Not sure what I'm going to delve into next, might well explore another Swery favourite in Deadly Premonition Origins but I'd like to play another short title first, sometimes having a massive backlog can make it more difficult to pick what to play next!

• Like 2

Paw Patrol Mighty Pups: Save Adventure Bay (Switch)

Please don’t judge me!

12e2e46cd7d868802415a847509f59e4.jpg

I feel the world is split between those who have never heard of Paw Patrol & those like me that, due to having or working with young children, know way too much about the ridiculously popular group of rescue pups and their dictator-come-leader Ryder.

Unlike the first Paw Patrol Switch game, which was a 2D platformer, this is a basic 3D platformer & actually enables 2-player co-op so my wife & I could play with our 4 year-old Paw Patrol fan.

There are no health bars to worry about, nor can your character fall off the playing area. There are always 2 characters on screen, so when playing co-op you each take control of a pup, with everything on one playing area on screen so no split screen here. While I preferred this, it inevitably leads to times where you’re both stuck at opposite ends of the screen with the camera refusing to pan out any further. As you can imagine, when playing with a young child this happens all too frequently & invariably there were tantrums when one of us (guess!) couldn’t move further at times.

It looks & sounds just like the show when it boots up. Sadly I assume the budget didn’t allow any more official music beyond the title screen, plus only one of the characters was voiced. It didn’t spoil the game for my daughter, but was really noticeable. This was a little odd considering we have countless toys that all recite lines of dialogue from the show, yet the game is probably the most expensive Paw Patrol ‘toy’ we own and yet the developers couldn’t even include ANY other speech!?

Look, everyone knows it was never going to be Game of the Year material, nor does it set out to be. The main gameplay & mini games are suitable for much younger gamers & to this extent I actually think they do a good job with that target audience. I was very disappointed with the shortcuts taken though, such as the lack of voices, official music, and with only 7 levels this is still a very disappointingly short experience.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 4

On 6/3/2021 at 8:37 PM, WackerJr said:

Paw Patrol Mighty Pups: Save Adventure Bay (Switch)

Please don’t judge me! emoji1.png

12e2e46cd7d868802415a847509f59e4.jpg

I feel the world is split between those who have never heard of Paw Patrol & those like me that, due to having or working with young children, know way too much about the ridiculously popular group of rescue pups and their dictator-come-leader Ryder.

Unlike the first Paw Patrol Switch game, which was a 2D platformer, this is a basic 3D platformer & actually enables 2-player co-op so my wife & I could play with our 4 year-old Paw Patrol fan.

There are no health bars to worry about, nor can your character fall off the playing area. There are always 2 characters on screen, so when playing co-op you each take control of a pup, with everything on one playing area on screen so no split screen here. While I preferred this, it inevitably leads to times where you’re both stuck at opposite ends of the screen with the camera refusing to pan out any further. As you can imagine, when playing with a young child this happens all too frequently & invariably there were tantrums when one of us (guess!) couldn’t move further at times.

It looks & sounds just like the show when it boots up. Sadly I assume the budget didn’t allow any more official music beyond the title screen, plus only one of the characters was voiced. It didn’t spoil the game for my daughter, but was really noticeable. This was a little odd considering we have countless toys that all recite lines of dialogue from the show, yet the game is probably the most expensive Paw Patrol ‘toy’ we own and yet the developers couldn’t even include ANY other speech!?

Look, everyone knows it was never going to be Game of the Year material, nor does it set out to be. The main gameplay & mini games are suitable for much younger gamers & to this extent I actually think they do a good job with that target audience. I was very disappointed with the shortcuts taken though, such as the lack of voices, official music, and with only 7 levels this is still a very disappointingly short experience.

It sounds like the development on that game was pretty Ruff.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Recently, I have been really in the mood to play through Luigis Mansion. 
I completely forgot the 3DS got it’s own port of the game a couple of years back, so managed to find a new copy on Amazon which i used some vouchers towards. 

eGYDwe6.jpg

I still have my OG Princess Peach 3DS which I will start the game on to enjoy it in 3D, but if I’m finding performance issues I’ll stick it in my 2DS XL and play it from there. 

With there being nothing in home consoles that’s currently enticing me, I thought I’d go back and try some older games I missed at the time. Once I’m through with this, I’m considering Poochy and Yoshi for 3DS, as apparently that was a bit of a gem too! 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Quick update from a very early play session. 
I haven’t played a game on a 3DS in years, and certainly not one where I’ve had the 3D feature active. 
It really does add quite a lot to the feel of a game and is quite immersive, although it brought back how annoying it actually is unless the console is smack bang in front of you. 

I keep toggling it on and off but ten minutes in whilst completing the ghost training, the game tells me to use motion controls to shine my flashlight and vacuum. No. Thank. You. So the cartridge is now in my 2DS XL where I can use the (terrible) second nub / stick to control it instead. I don’t enjoy the bigger screen strangely, as you lose a lot of detail vs the smaller display. 

One thing that is pretty cool… achievements are here! 

aJPwhfb.jpg

Will work my way through those I think! :) 

• Like 4

45 minutes ago, Aneres11 said:

Will work my way through those I think! :) 

I loved them. Here’s my post from the main thread back in 2019.

It's crazy how much time I've spent with the game purely thanks to the addition of the achievements. It's turned a short 5 hour game with very little replay value into 5 play throughs and 32 hours spent on it. I got my money's worth out of this and certainly got more out of this version than I ever did with the Gamecube version.

Just be warned, as you can see from my quote, in order to get them all you’ll need to do multiple runs through the game.

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, Hero-of-Time said:

I loved them. Here’s my post from the main thread back in 2019.

Just be warned, as you can see from my quote, in order to get them all you’ll need to do multiple runs through the game.

Oh wow! I didn’t realise we had an original thread. Should have checked first! But yeah, I thought there might be a few as they were headed up ‘Beginner’ so presume they go up in intensity. 

Good to know they add some much needed length to the game!

"Wait, has Jonnas been ignoring his own pot-pourri? We didn't see anything in May!"

First of all, watch your phrasing. Second, it's only because I've been super busy. But I did have a theme in mind, one that coincided with the release of Season 4 of a specific animated series...and one I already had a collection for in my Switch backlog.

H2x1_NSwitchDS_CastlevaniaAnniversaryCol

Yes, there were a bunch of "Classicvanias" I hadn't played properly yet, so I decided to clear them from my backlog. And since I'm such a fan of the Gameboy, I decided to start with those obscure GB titles, which I hadn't even seen before.

Castlevania - The Adventure

RBPP-GB_Castlevania_TheAdventure-Screen1

The grammar nazi in me says "an"

Originally released in 1989, this game suuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuucks.

I can forgive the lack of sub-weapons. I can forgive the very simplified version of typical Castlevania. What I can't forgive is level design that requires you to memorize the level to a minute detail just to stay alive. I can't forgive the pixel-perfect jumping that this game requires to clear certain platforms. I can't forgive the fact that Christopher Belmont's hurtbox is hovering a foot in front of his head (meaning he can get killed if a spike brushes the tip of his nose). This game was painful to play.

I don't care about the decent music, or the fact that some of these levels sound cool in concept. I quit this 4-level game by Level 3.

Castlevania II Belmont's Revenge

157628.jpg

"Here, pull my staff"

Released in 1991, this sequel is a much better effort. Not only do we now get axes and holy water (the only sub-weapons we need), there's now good level design, better control, and cool bosses. Plus, it actually tries something new with the series, the ability to choose the order in which to brave the first 4 levels. Then you go complete the remaining 3 in Wily Dracula's castle.

It even has a story, basic as it is. Christopher Belmont's teenage son gets brainwashed and kidnapped by Dracula, so off we go to save him. Vampires usually do this to female teens, so it's nice to see Drac doesn't discriminate.

And that's pretty much it. Just a solid title that you don't want to miss out on.

Kid Dracula

220px-Akumajo_Special-Boku_Dracula-kun!(

"When I grow up, I'll never mistakenly spell my name backwards again!"

Released in 1990, this zany platformer features a kid vampire going through 9 stages of cartoony enemies in order to defeat his demon rival Garamoth. Is this canon to Castlevania? Is this one of Dracula's reincarnations? Or is it a very young Alucard? The answer to these questions is mmmmmmaybe, sure, yeah, whatever.

This little spin-off takes next to nothing from Castlevania, but a lot from Mega Man. Kid Dracula can shoot bullets, charge his shots, gain new powers, he even fights robots. But he can't choose his own stages, though.

The game is light hearted and fun, though it gets oddly hard by the end, with some memorization and precise timing being needed to get by. It's not too bad, but it's weird to see such a sudden spike in what was otherwise a chill game. My appraisal is mostly positive, anyway.

Also, there's this cancan minigame where you try to guess the dancer's underwear colour, and that was a tad uncomfortable too.

Castlevania Bloodlines

bloodlines_7.gif

Good doggie...

And for the main event, we have Castlevania Bloodlines, or Castlevania New Generation in its original European release. This 1993 Mega Drive game decided to do a few new cool things, like set the game throughout Europe during World War I, which was pretty sick. There's a Germany factory level that's just a bunch of skeletal WWI soldiers, and it's excellent. The Greece and Italy levels are also fantastic.

Gameplay-wise, you have two characters to choose from. John Morris is your usual whip-wielding hunter, and he can latch his whip onto ceilings to swing a bit (it can get janky if you don't figure out the trick, but it's feasible). Eric Lecard wields the spear which he can attack towards any direction, plus super jump. Eric definitely feels like easy mode, but I enjoyed playing with John's increased range a bit more (why can't he whip diagonally on the ground, though?)

It's a smooth game throughout, with memorable bosses, hefty (but mostly fair) difficulty, great visual set pieces, and a glorious Mega Drive soundtrack. I wish I could compare this to Rondo of Blood, but... for some reason they didn't include it in the collection. I can say it's not quite better than Super Castlevania IV, but that's unfair, because SCIV is a 5-star platformer.

Anyway, I beat Normal Mode with John, and will be beating Expert mode with Eric sometime down the line, when I feel like replaying this. Super solid entry.

------

With that, the only game from the collection I haven't played properly yet is Simon's Quest... but I don't consider that one to be quite a "Classicvania". Maybe some other time.

And so...

My 2021 log (Hide contents)

Played/Beat/Completed:

-Fire Emblem: Three Houses (2019) Beat (January 9th)

-Fatal Fury Special (1993) No Goal (January 17th)

-Art of Fighting 2 (1994) No Goal (January 19th)

-Samurai Shodown II (1994) No Goal (January 20th)

-The Last Blade (1997) No Goal (January 22nd)

-Real Bout Fatal Fury 2 - The Newcomers (1998) No Goal (January 22nd)

-King of Fighters 2000 (2000) No Goal (January 23rd)

-King of Fighters 2002 (2002) No Goal (January 23rd)

-Samurai Shodown V Special (2004) No Goal (January 23rd)

-Harmo Knight (2012) Beat (January 25th)

-Furi (2016) Completed (January 31st)

-Life is Strange (Episode 1) (2015) Beat (February 13th)

-The Stanley Parable (2013) Completed (February 14th)

-1979 Revolution: Black Friday (2016) Beat (February 17th)

-Azure Striker Gunvolt (2014) Beat (March 6th)

-Hitman: Blood Money (2006) Completed (March 10th)

-A Short Hike (2019) Completed (March 16th)

-ABZÛ (2016) Beat (March 20th)

-Silence (2016) Completed (March 27th)

-Huniepop 2: Double Date (2021) Completed (April 13th)

-Horned Knight (2021) Completed (April 14th)

-Inspector Zé e Robot Palhaço em: Crime no Hotel Lisboa (2013) Completed (April 18th)

-Munin (2014) Completed (April 25th)

-As Aventuras Interactivas de Dog Mendonça e Pizzaboy (2016) Completed (April 27th)

-Fire Emblem: Shadow Dragon and the Blade of Light (1990) Completed (May 8th)

-Castlevania II Belmont's Revenge (1991) Completed (May 20th)

-Beautiful Desolation (2020) Beat (May 30th)

-Kid Dracula (1990) Completed (June 5th)

-Castlevania Bloodlines (1993) Beat (June 5th)

Dropped:

-Perfect Angle (2015) (January 20th)

-Codename S.T.E.A.M. (2015) (May 16th)

-Castlevania - The Adventure (1989) (May 19th)

Considering the May theme got delayed so much, I should probably get to doing June fast

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

Whoa, now this is a quick update! Or more accurately, it's an update I could only post about now:

Beautiful Desolation

content-2-36516-beautifuldesolationsidebox.jpg

"This desolation is imperfect... if only someone were to wash away the impurities, and make it as beautiful as me!"

You may have already noticed, but I reviewed a recently released game for the Switch. This is part of why the Castlevania thing got delayed, in fact.

I can't say much about the game itself because I wrote a whole review, so please click the picture above if you haven't yet. Might be worth your time to check out what this game's about, you know?

Puzzle & Dragons Z + Puzzle & Dragons: Super Mario Bros. Edition

SI_3DS_PuzzleAndDragonsZPuzzleAndDragons

This is a logical crossover, right?

And just today, I decided to check out the one remaining 3DS game on my physical backlog! This 2015 release was an entry of the highly successful (in Japan, at least) franchise Puzzle&Dragons. I found it super cheap, and bought it on a whim, thanks to an years-old post from @Glen-i, who was into it at the time.

So, Puzzle&Dragons is best explained as "Pokémon meets Bejeweled", you face RPG fights with various monsters while having a team of your own. The colours you match determine what happens that turn (for example, if you match red orbs, all of your fire monsters attack). The story is very basic, the script is tongue-in-cheek, and it seems to be targeted towards a younger audience. From that perspective, it seems like a fine game.

But I found it boring. There isn't much depth to the Bejeweled aspect of it (especially compared to Huniepop 2, which I played fairly recently), the encounters are all quite easy (and the difficulty wasn't rising that quickly), and I wasn't gripped by the monsters or customisation aspect. This feels a lot like an simpler version of Sushi Striker, and I eventually got tired of that one as well.

So I decided to drop it after clearing the first major dungeon. Nothing particularly wrong with this game, it just isn't for me. I'll likely sell it.

(Also, I only played the Z version. Didn't touch the Mario half)

Played/Beat/Completed:

-Inspector Zé e Robot Palhaço em: Crime no Hotel Lisboa (2013) Completed (April 18th)

-As Aventuras Interactivas de Dog Mendonça e Pizzaboy (2016) Completed (April 27th)

Dropped:

-Puzzle & Dragons Z + Puzzle & Dragons: Super Mario Bros. Edition (2015) (June 10th)

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

That was not the game I expected when I saw you mention me!

P&D Z is pretty simple to get through. Mario version will absolutely kick your butt into next week!

I mean, it was a fun, short burst game, but I never wanna put myself through that hell again!

(I'm now reminded that the 3DS sequel to Z was Japan-exclusive. That was upsetting, still is.)

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Glen-i said:

P&D Z is pretty simple to get through. Mario version will absolutely kick your butt into next week!

I remembered that part, but I don't think the increased difficulty would've helped. I was also not invested in anything outside the puzzling (like story, characters, music, monster design...), and so the game felt barebones for a long experience. Replacing those aspects with Mario stuff wouldn't have helped either.

You're right that it's probably more fitting in short bursts. But I haven't used the 3DS for that sort of thing in a long while.

I'm not very far into Luigi's Mansion, but am loving everything I have played so far. 

I can remember bits as I revisit the game, but I first played this on release when I got my GC way back when it came out. And haven't played it since. 

Already though, I'm enjoying it way more than the recently released LM3, which I was so disappointed with. My biggest complaint with that game was that the minute you started the game you had everything at your disposal to be able to get through the game. There were no enhancements to your equipment or anything like the elemental sections in the original which changed the way you tackled certain ghosts, or opened up closed off areas etc. 

Even though the elements don't change up the formula that much, they still add a little something and stop it feeling like you're just going through the motions. That's basically how LM3 felt for me. Just floor after floor of ghost catching, rinse and repeat. I know there were elemental sections in 3, like the set which used the fire, but that was just a bit of a confusing mess that really didn't play all that well at all. 

I also love scanning the ghosts hearts in the original remake for clues on how you take them down, and the overall selection of ghosts so far are way more interesting. 

I could be wrong, but I feel like I've caught more 'unique' one of a kind ghosts than the colourful smaller ones that are EVERYWHERE in LM3. 

Hoping to pour some more time into it over the weekend! :)

26 minutes ago, Aneres11 said:

I'm not very far into Luigi's Mansion, but am loving everything I have played so far. 

I can remember bits as I revisit the game, but I first played this on release when I got my GC way back when it came out. And haven't played it since. 

Already though, I'm enjoying it way more than the recently released LM3, which I was so disappointed with. My biggest complaint with that game was that the minute you started the game you had everything at your disposal to be able to get through the game. There were no enhancements to your equipment or anything like the elemental sections in the original which changed the way you tackled certain ghosts, or opened up closed off areas etc. 

Even though the elements don't change up the formula that much, they still add a little something and stop it feeling like you're just going through the motions. That's basically how LM3 felt for me. Just floor after floor of ghost catching, rinse and repeat. I know there were elemental sections in 3, like the set which used the fire, but that was just a bit of a confusing mess that really didn't play all that well at all. 

I also love scanning the ghosts hearts in the original remake for clues on how you take them down, and the overall selection of ghosts so far are way more interesting. 

I could be wrong, but I feel like I've caught more 'unique' one of a kind ghosts than the colourful smaller ones that are EVERYWHERE in LM3. 

Hoping to pour some more time into it over the weekend! :)

The original on Gamecube is still, by some distance, the best in the series and I will happily return to it every now and again :hehe:

I can't say the same about Luigi's Mansion 2 or 3 which, while good, don't come close enough to being great, unfortunately!

The only things that really goes against the 3DS version are the lack of rumble and analogue triggers, that felt so perfect as a demonstration of the GC controller, and perhaps the comfort of a proper C-Stick.

I certainly enjoyed revisiting the game on the handheld, though :grin:

Edited by nekunando
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, nekunando said:

The original on Gamecube is still, by some distance, the best in the series and I will happily return to it every now and again :hehe:

I can't say the same about Luigi's Mansion 2 or 3 which, while good, don't come close enough to being great, unfortunately!

The only things that really goes against the 3DS version are the lack of rumble and analogue triggers, that felt so perfect as a demonstration of the GC controller, and perhaps the comfort of a proper C-Stick.

I certainly enjoyed revisiting the game on the handheld, though :grin:

See I have quite fond memories of Dark Moon! 

I can't recall it that well now so may revisit it once I have finished up the remake but I remember really enjoying it at the time! 

So, @Dcubed and I have started our next randomised Zelda! Majora's Mask.

Link is plopped into Clock Town with just the Ocarina of Time and the Song of Time and has to find:

- The four Remains

- The Oath to Order

- Some method to kill Majora (Fierce Deity Mask or the combination of a Sword and Light Arrows)

Compared to the other Zelda randomisers we've done, that's not a lot of items you actually need to beat the game. But finding them is a whole different matter!

Every item in the game has been shuffled randomly. That Piece of Heart over the invisible platforms on Snowhead, now it's the Couple's Mask! Use said mask to end the mayor's meeting, no Piece of Heart this time, instead there's a shield! (Very happy with that one!)

It's not just a test of your Zelda skills, but also a test of your knowledge as you go down paths that you know have items in the hope you get something useful to open up more opportunities, more areas and more items!

A hilarious side effect of this is that the 60 Gold Skulltulas and 61 Stray Fairies are part of the item pool. This means dungeons and Skulltula Houses are huge goldmines of random items! The downside is that there's a very good chance that the chest you open will have a Gold Skulltula Spirit... That's one thirtieth of an item, woooo!

So yeah, after the fourth 3-day cycle, we have the Oath to Order and the Light Arrows. And there were quite a few highlights...

- Used a Magic Bean to get to a hole on third day, the chest had a Magic Bean. That's 10 rupees I'm never getting back.

- I went to push Mikau back to shore, as soon as he collapsed on the sand, I forgot I didn't have the Song of Healing, we left Mikau face down on the sand. He'll be fine...

- We got every type of arrow before entering a single dungeon and on the first 3-day cycle. No Sword. 

- Dcubed suggested getting the Shield stolen in case it turns into a needed item at the curiosity shop. He's an idiot. I'm not taking the Family Guy Mystery Box, shut up!

- Fought the 4 Poe Sisters, got rewarded with an Ice Trap. "You are a fool", indeed.

- Anju gave us an item to deliver to Kafei, it was a Heart Container. The symbolism is really heavy handed in this game.

Edited by Glen-i
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, Hero-of-Time said:

And yet he won’t play a fan translation....:confused:

It’s more that I’d just be too bothered knowing that it’s not an official localisation to actually enjoy the game.

The fact that what I’d be playing wouldn’t really be truly reflective of the intended experience would simply bother me so much that I couldn’t actually enjoy the game itself.  I’d rather just wait for an official English localisation, even if it doesn’t come for years and years, because I know I simply wouldn’t be able to enjoy a fan translated game properly; so what’s the point in playing it?

MM Randomiser is different though because I’ve played the original game a quadrillion times.  I wouldn’t play a randomiser as my first MM experience; but I’d definitely play it after I’m already very familiar with the original game!

While Dcubed was out doing smelly job stuff, I booted up SNES online app and played Donkey Kong Country 3: Dixie Kong's Double Trouble.

Chances are, I've already talked about this game, so I won't go into too much detail. All you need to know is I think it's the best of the trilogy even though it has Rocket Rush, which is awful. Truly, the "Tubular" of the DKC trilogy.

E3w0UhbVgAQrwmU?format=jpg&name=large

I'm faster and better than an elderly monkey!

I did stumble upon a weird glitch though.

Not sure what happened there, but that DK coin is pretty tricky, so I'm not complaining.

Spoiler

Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 3
Kingdom Hearts: Melody of Memory
Pokémon Mystery Dungeon: Rescue Team DX (100%)
Hyrule Warriors: Age of Calamity (100%)
Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 4
Tony Hawk's Underground
Super Mario 3D World + Bowser's Fury
Bravely Default II
Shining Force: The Legacy of Great Intention
Monster Hunter Rise (Credits seen)
Donkey Kong Country 3: Dixie Kong's Double Trouble (105%)

Edited by Glen-i
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 13/06/2021 at 6:30 PM, Dcubed said:

Wow @Glen-i! Your time sucks! @Hero-of-Time made a monkey out of you with his last DKC3 run! 

Pfft.. I bought it, played it, completed it, regretted it and traded it in within 45 minutes!

• Haha 3

I've been spending some time with the old Switch this week. 

Picked up a few games in the sale, GuacameleeNo More Heroes 2, and in a much-needed role reversal, @nekunando persuaded me to part with my cash and pick up Captain Toad at 33% off. I've been playing the latter quite a bit and got onto the second world. In a cruel twist of fate, there's no hope of me regretting my purchase, I'm really enjoying it. Sorry, Greg. Maybe next time you can exact your revenge. Will probably spend the remaining eShop cash on the Cadence of Hyrule DLC as I have just enough left + gold coins to cover it. I'm also probably going to pick up Mario Golf next week and Skyward Sword with a voucher. My hunt for a decently priced physical copy has been unsuccessful so far. 

The game I'm going to gush about today though is Box Boy + Box Girl. Picked it up in a sale a last month and have been working my way through it in handheld mode. Anyone who's familiar with the series will need no introduction to what's on offer here. 16 worlds and over 100 levels of puzzle-based joy. Each world introduces a new mechanic and 6-8 levels of gradually more challenging set-pieces based around it. As someone who only played the first 3DS adventure, it seems there is a lot new here, but I cannot say if it's all new to the series as I skipped the later 3DS games. It was, however, a refreshing experience coming hot off the Series S. The game is nicely designed with simple yet stylish graphics and a wonderfully pleasant soundtrack. There is a decent variety in the mechanics and the types of challenges you have to go through. Each world offers something fresh and never goes too deep into one type of challenge. The cutscenes after completing each world tell a cute story where some nice effects and a bit of colour is added to the games black-and-white look. These are done really well although the game does seem to chug at times during cutscenes which was... surprising. 

It took me about 5-6 hours to get through the main quest. I'm a long way from finishing the game though. I need to give praise to HAL and their implementation of difficulty. While there are no difficulty options, per se, the game clearly has an easy, medium and hard mode. Beating the game from start to finish is not that challenging (that's what I've done). Obviously there is going to be some kind of reward for beating each level using a set number of boxes and collecting the one or two collectable crowns positioned somewhere tricky in the level. I still have to go back and finish off 20 or so levels to get all the medals for doing this. Consider that medium. And then there's the rank you get for beating each level - where you do the all the above as fast as possible and using as few boxes as possible. Achieving an S rank on the first world was tough, so I can imagine there being hours and hours of gameplay if you attempt the rest of them. A lot more content than I could have imagined for a game with a £9.99 RRP. In addition, there's an extra quest that unlocks once you beat the game with a tall Box Boy. It seems there are an additional 9 or so worlds in this quest. There's also an unlockable balloon-popping mini game that has its own set of around 7 challenges, which adds to the already excellent price to content ratio. 

Really glad I picked this game up. Will definitely go through and sweep up all the medals in the main quest and try to do the unforgiving balloon challenge mode. As for getting the S ranks, I doubt I have the stomach for it. The additional quest can wait until I fancy playing again, I'm in no rush to do it now off the back of seeing the ending.

A great eShop title, which really fills that 3DS pick-up-and-play hole. Highly recommended. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I was bored, so I turned into Marshall Eriksen...

tumblr_m5fvbaESL71r5mnvxo1_250.gif

Made some charts and graphs for my gaming in 2020 and 2021 (until today). Don't bother criticizing my design and color choices, I made these with google spreadsheets and I don't care :p

Spoiler

chart.png

Yes, I found Plague of Shadows to be this bad. :p

Platforms-2020.png

Buying a Switch in November 2019 made sure that I played it most in the following year. I also did play ONE native PSVita game (Crisis Core: Final Fantasyy VII) :laughing:

Out-of-the-backlog-2020.png

Didn't touch my backlog much...

Spoiler

chart-2.png

Remnant: From the Ashes is not good. Still no idea why I got that Platinum...

Platforms.png

Yeah...not really surprising given that I sold my Switch and got a PS5. Obviously, I've played all the PS4 games on its successor, but I'll still count them as PS4 games :p

Out-of-the-backlog.png

Percentage looking much better, but the actual number is still only 7 (3 more than the games I've completed from my backlog last year).

Will keep updating my spreadsheet and I'm looking forward to seeing how much it'll change :D

Edited by drahkon
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 06/06/2021 at 7:14 PM, Jonnas said:

I should probably get to doing June fast

Or should I say "Gotta go fast". The original Sonic the Hedgehog was released for an obscure console called Genesis in June 1991, though it would come to the much more relevant Mega Drive the following month. With the recent announcements/teaser, it might be a good time to clean a bunch of Sonic & Sonic-adjacent titles in my backlog. Here's hoping I don't step too much on @Cube's toes.

(It's not all of the Sonic titles I own, since it includes some games I'd rather savour more carefully. Plus, I don't want a repeat of "several games from the same series", hence the inclusion of the adjacent titles)

Dr.Robotnik's Mean Bean Machine

CYXgjakWQAAwOCP.png

Oh, stuff it, the game's good

Ok, not the fastest start, but I wanted to give it a whirl. Back in the early 90s, Sega had a winning franchise on their hands: Puyo Puyo. The only problem is, how do you get a cute puzzle game into the edgy dystopia known as early 90s America? The solution was to repackage it as a Sonic game, specifically using the characters from the surreal Adventures of Sonic the Hedgehog cartoon. And thus, this 1993 game was born!

So yeah, Puyo Puyo where you play against some of Robotnik's monstrosities from the cartoon. Never got to the end before, so I decided to do it now on Steam, quick and easy. Played it on "Hard" difficulty too, which makes Puyo in later stages fall blindingly fast (gotta match fast!). It's actually a pretty good version of Puyo Puyo, I daresay it might even be good to do more of these crossovers, even now.

Otherwise, not much more to say. I did appreciate these facial expressions a bit more and... truly, I can't convey just how weird 90s slang is. "I think Dr.R has had enough stick" being the one that gave me most pause.

Sonic 4: Episode I

250px-Sonic_4_Logo.png

God, I hate this stupid face

I remember, in the distant years of 2009-2010, after this game's announcement, I was super excited by the prospect of Sonic returning to its 2D roots. I didn't much like the Advance trilogy, but I was very willing to give this one the benefit of the doubt (it's called Sonic 4!). My excitement vanished the moment I heard about the homing mechanic... despite the good signs, Dimps just didn't get it, and so I never bothered to play this.

About a decade later, I like to think I moved on from preconceptions, and that I can at least value a game on its own merits, rather than elevated expectations. I did get this one cheap on Steam, I should at least know how it plays.

And it plays terrible. The homing attack is worse than I imagined. It makes the whole game have a wonky "stop&go&stop" feel that's unsatisfying, its lock-on is super unresponsive (I swear it failed half of the times I tried), it emphasizes the lack of weight to the physics time and time again, and it may have somehow convinced the developers at Dimps that it was enough to keep forward momentum going. But no, there's a laughable lack of credible speed to this game, which is ironic, considering it wants to play like the Advance games.

Besides that, a lot of additional elements just fail. Rings fall in a small bunch when you get hurt, but also, they always get reduced to like 30 regardless of how many you had, so fuck that potentially engaging aspect of gameplay. I couldn't use my controller, and when I used the keyboard (which I could customize once, and only once, didn't find a way to remap them afterwards), the game still said "Press [Red] or [Yellow] to continue", and it's like, how the fuck am I supposed to remember which button that was meant to be? And then somehow every act from every level unlocked from the start, even though there's a set order?

This game is an absolute mess, and if it didn't have the Sonic name attached to it, I'd think it was a low-budget phone game from the app store, one of those that steals assets. I played four acts, one boss, and one special stage, all in less than one hour, and that already felt like too much. No sense in continuing.

Sonic 4: Episode II

Sonic_the_Hedgehog_4_Episode_2_capa.png

The face somehow got worse!

Like I said, I want to keep an open mind. Maybe there was a significant improvement with the 2012 sequel.

The physics do feel a bit better. It's better suited for fast movement. It's not exactly my cup of tea, but it works fine. Tails is an overly-elaborate way to add new moves (flying, swimming, breaking walls), but it's a change that makes the gameplay more engaging. There are also collectible tokens spread throughout the levels, which makes good use of these mechanics and increases replayability.

The homing attack still sucks, though. The issues with the control configuration are still here, the ring thing hasn't changed, and the music is still as forgettable as in the first one.

If Episode I is a cheap appstore game, this one feels like a surprisingly decent fangame from Newgrounds, which is an improvement, at any rate. Despite that, I still chose to not continue after beating the first boss, as I wasn't having much fun with it. Passable, but only just.

Ristar

Ristar_cover_EU.jpg

"I'm gonna RIS for the stars...

Now here we have a game I had the opportunity to play only once before in my life. The game was striking and memorable enough for it to stick in my mind for years to come. Imagine my surprise when I found out it was made by Sonic Team! That's right, after finishing Sonic 3 & Knuckles, Sonic Team decided to dial it back a bit and make something completely different. And so, in 1995, they released their last hurrah for the Mega Drive: a cute, slower platformer featuring a star-shaped protagonist.

I thought it was pretty good. The main mechanic here is that Ristar can stretch his arms to interact with stage elements (kill enemies, ram into walls to climb them, swing from pillars, etc.), and the mileage they got out of that mechanic was great. Without spoiling levels, I can confidently say that no two worlds (or even two levels) feel the same. Same thing with bosses and mini-bosses, with creative battles all around, and no battle ever felt too obtuse to figure out.

Ristar himself is adorable as well. The spritework is extensive (kinda needs to be for so many interactive elements) and gives him a lot of personality, to the point that he has a different idle animation per world (I kid you not, one of them is even used to defeat a mini-boss). Small touches like him twitching his arms and shivering when you try to grab a icy wall are also great.

The stages are friendly to explorers, as it's one of those games that invite players to try to find alternative paths, or explore as many nooks and crannies as you can. Indeed, there is one bonus stage per level, and you need to find the entrance yourself (a lot like the Donkey Kong Country series, though here it's just the one per level). Unfortunately, the most you'll find when exploring are health pickups, extra lives, and...points. You know, for those high scores. On a console game. In 1995. I really wish there were more collectibles to this game, because it's sad to see so much compelling level design wasted on...points.

I played through the whole thing on Normal Mode (Hard Mode is exactly the same, but you start with half the health. Bad way to play the game blind). I first tried to keep to the game's OG design, and accepted to restart the whole game from the beginning once I ran out of Continues (using save states only to "pause" the game between sessions. There are no passwords, you see). However, the second time I ran out of Continues, I was already figuring out the final boss, and so I succumbed to loading a save state just to finish that final stretch. The kid in me is disappointed by the adult in me.

So yeah, not much else to say on the old-school platformer, I just had a grand old time with it. Much like with Castlevania Bloodlines, I got swept with a heavy dose of nostalgia, feeling the typical music, sounds, visuals, and even game-feel of the Mega Drive, with a brand new experience.

Nights into Dreams

capsule_616x353.jpg?t=1580989721

...even if the Nights look pretty far...

I only looked at this 1996 game a couple of times before, in my cousin's Sega Saturn. He said at the time that this game was too complicated for me. But in the following years I kept hearing about how this game was a classic, a magic experience that needs to be played to be believed. I understand my country is a bunch of Sega fanboys, but I was still curious. So I eventually got the 2012 Steam release, and chose to play the original "Sega Saturn" version. I eventually switched to the HD remaster (more like a faithful remake, it looks a lot like Ocarina of Time 3D) because the Saturn version was chugging tremendously on my computer. Thankfully, this release considers both to be interchangeable for the purposes of saved games.

...And I do feel it's a bit complicated! At first, at least. It's unique, it's pretty, it's lovely. But expect it to be a tad obtuse.

The plot concerns a couple of insecure kids who have a heck of a shared nightmare. Their wits and hopes get literally taken away from them (in the form of colourful gems) by imps, leaving only the red gem of courage. Nights is a mysterious androgynous figure that takes their hand and goes off to take them back.

It's basically an auto-running platformer in 2.5D. Except there are no platforms, it's just flying, and you control Nights' direction as they fly around, collecting all sorts of bells, jewels, and such. You can press a button to give you a speed boost (and in some instances, another to "perform acrobatics", which is basically a stunt that increases score). You're stuck in a racing game style "circuit" until you can gather enough orbs to break a prison somewhere on the course, which contains the gems you need.

I find that the "circle" system is genius, and a key component of what made me enjoy the game. Basically, since Nights turns around in a somewhat stiff manner, you won't easily grab what you're aiming for... but if you circle around the desired objects once, they'll gravitate towards you without issue. Clever way to avoid frustration, and makes the experience much smoother.

Each level has four courses that take place all over a single 3D environment, which is interesting, adds some depth to the world, and you keep seeing these gems you can't reach yet, but you know you can by the end of the stage. There's a time limit for each course, and if you can't finish in time, Nights clumsily turns back into one of the kids, who must then walk back to the starting line, as a long-winded way to reset the stage (or even walk directly to the cage, and then the finish line, as it happened once with me). Interesting, it's like letting you finish the race even if the car breaks down. There are also cool secrets scattered through the courses (like a cave underneath a tomb that opens if you hit a few switches in quick succession). It's classic Sonic Team, and it shows.

At the end of the level, you face a boss using similar mechanics. These encounters tend to be creative about it, and the boss designs are interesting (though that cat with the mouse missiles can go fuck itself).

The main aspect that people praise is presentation and... yeah, it's marvelous. Even as a Sega Saturn game, the art direction in Nights is beautiful, moody, and trippy. I don't think there was one bad-looking environment in this game (and at least one that I adored). The soundtrack is fantastic as well, with a consistent leitmotif of the beautiful main theme scattered through the game. As said... it's better to see and hear these for yourself. Hard to believe that a Sega Saturn game has aged so well visually, but it's true.

My main issue... you can't see the course that well. The perspective is 2D and Nights is fast, so my first time around is more confusing than anything (plenty of times, you don't know if Nights' path is aiming for certain background elements or not). I think you're meant to memorize these levels and replay it a lot (the game is very short). Nothing wrong with that, but the system needs some consistency, I think. Interestingly, the way this game is designed reminded me a lot of modern 3D Sonic games, what with the grade you're given at the end of each course (and level) depending on how well you did.

Another issue is the controls for this version. I'm stuck using WASD and J for boosting, with no remapping. Not compatible with a controller, either. It's a shame, I wish I could experience this with a joystick, even if buttons/d-pad also work fine.

So yeah, enjoyed it a lot. I unlocked Christmas Nights (one of those DLCs from before the concept existed) by the end, and beat that one as well. Though I won't stick around to find all the eggs (a permanent collectible of sorts), I'm open to replay this in the future. Lovely game, and I can see why it was important in legitimizing videogames as an art form in the eyes of so many.

...I'm gonna find my own way
And take a chance on today!"

No, not today, actually. I was going to play Sonic Colours here, but... got busy. I also realised at some point that I'm kind of burning through these games at a fast pace, and Sonic Colours is one I want to savour more carefully. I think I'll also try to reduce how much I take on at once in the next few months, as I've been having very little time for other games (like Bravely Default II, still on hold for such a long time). This project was supposed to occupy like a weekend per month, but these games got spread all over. Gotta rethink how to do this on my way forward.

Played/Beat/Completed:

-Dr.Robotnik's Mean Bean Machine (1993) Completed (June 6th)

-Ristar (1995) Beat (June 13th)

-Nights into Dreams (1996) Beat (June 20th)

Dropped:

-Sonic 4: Episode I (2010) (June 7th)

-Sonic 4: Episode II (2012) (June 7th)

-Puzzle & Dragons Z + Puzzle & Dragons: Super Mario Bros. Edition (2015) (June 10th)

Edited by Jonnas
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 3