NEurope
Cube

Your 2021 Gaming Diary

Finally beat Genshiro in Sekiro. Holy moly.

Honestly, about two weeks ago I genuinely considered dropping this game completely. I thought Bloodborne was pretty easy on my second run and made it through Dark Souls and Dark Souls 3, but I honestly found the combat in this game brutal. At least with Dark Souls you can take a breather in the middle of a fight and just dodge attacks but Sekiro demands that you just relentlessly attack and deflect at every moment. Once I learnt the rhythm to Genshiro's attacks it fast became one of my favourite boss fights in any game, up their with Father Gascoigne in Bloodborne. 

The next boss I fought was Lady Butterfly. I heard she was super difficult but I beat her really easily. Man, I adore this game. The combat is just incredible.

• Like 3

Haha. There it is. @Goron_3 went from the pits of despair, to the highs of finally getting the win. I love to see it. Brian on IGN went through the same thing when playing Bloodborne. It was hilarious hearing his story about it.

I fought Lady Butterfly early on and it was a tough fight but with you facing her after Genshiro she must have felt like a common enemy. :D 

35 minutes ago, Hero-of-Time said:

Haha. There it is. @Goron_3 went from the pits of despair, to the highs of finally getting the win. I love to see it. Brian on IGN went through the same thing when playing Bloodborne. It was hilarious hearing his story about it.

I fought Lady Butterfly early on and it was a tough fight but with you facing her after Genshiro she must have felt like a common enemy. :D 

Do you have a link to Brian's Bloodborne thoughts? Reminds me of @Fierce_LiNk's experience.

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Goron_3 said:

Do you have a link to Brian's Bloodborne thoughts? Reminds me of @Fierce_LiNk's experience.

I'm sure I posted the video in the Bloodborne topic a few years back. Possibly after reading about Flinkys experience. I'll go have a look for it.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Goron_3 said:

3 hours ago, Hero-of-Time said:

I'm sure I posted the video in the Bloodborne topic a few years back. Possibly after reading about Flinkys experience. I'll go have a look for it.

Aaaaaaahahahahaha. This game, maaaan.

Biggest 180 I've ever pulled on a game. Can't compare it to anything else. I've never gone from hating (and I mean, fucking LOATHING) a game so much to then loving it like it was family. 

The first 6 or so hours were complete torture. I can't tell you how many times I died...and that loading screen with those pre-patch loading times. Oh my goddd. I felt sorry for poor @Eenuhas she got an absolute earful that day. I don't think my posts quite capture the rage I was feeling and it is easily the angriest I've ever felt over a game. It felt personal, for some reason. I've never, ever taken a game back to the store on the same day that I bought it but I came very, very close with this. I can't quite put my finger on what made me so angry (apart from all of the dying), but I had a sense of everything feeling "unfair" or "rigged against you". I felt weak, especially when enemies would gang up on me, or I felt that the starting locations were like puzzles that couldn't be solved without being killed. I actually remember raging so hard, then stopping to have our tea, then going back to the game and continuing to rage some more. 

All I can say is that playing that game felt like losing all of your senses but then gaining new ones. It made me re-learn how to play and approach games. Everything that I thought I knew about games at that point had to be thrown out of the window and I had to start over. It's the equivalent of losing your gaming virginity all over again. I used to spend minutes just observing enemies from a far and working out the best in-and-out strategy so that I could take out the group without leaving myself too vulnerable, because one wrong move would mean death and starting over again. One of the best games I've ever played and one of my all-time favourites. Quite spectacular. I would not have said that after the first hour because...it was honestly so stressful. Once I learned that you didn't have to fight everything and that it was just a case of surviving from lamp to lamp, it became so much easier. The Forbidden Woods is one of my favourite locations in a game, as was the Cathedral Ward area. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Over the past week or so I have been picking away at this classic and this evening I finally reached 100% completion and nabbed the platinum.

EunAikHXEAA9IX1?format=jpg&name=4096x409

EunAYJ9XMAE_eB2?format=jpg&name=4096x409

For some reason, lately I've been pretty nostalgic for the PS2, seen this was on sale on the PSN store and so picked it up. I've not played this since it was released back in the day. Can you believe that this year marks the 20th anniversary of the release of this game? That seems crazy to me. I didn't even know this was the case until I looked it up whilst I was playing. Its a happy coincidence that I happen to be playing the game on the same year that it celebrates its anniversary.

I have many great memories of playing this game back in 2001 and it was a MASSIVE nostalgia hit playing through it again. It's amazing how much I remembered about the game, from the layout of the streets, to the music selections on the radio. Each of these things gave me flashbacks from playing this in my late teens. Back then I loved the discussions that people at work were having about the game. It was quite exciting going in to work and listening to each others stories, how each of us were getting on with the game and the inventive ways people were able to complete the missions.   

EunAkwvXAAUxGKM?format=jpg&name=4096x409
This location popped up a few times during the taxi missions.

Whilst playing the game I did marvel at what Rockstar were able to pull off with the PS2 hardware at the time. Sure, the controls were a little weird but the developer went from a top down, 2D game to this open world adventure. It took some getting used to the weird control scheme that I mentioned. Not having free camera movement on the right stick was the main sticking point but I was surprised by just how well the automatic camera kept up with me. It wasn't that often that I needed to adjust it to see where I was going. I think it's easy to forget that this game was essentially what kick started the open world craze on consoles and given how fun the game is to play, even to this day, it's not hard to see why to was so popular.

What I really appreciated about playing this was that it was an open world game but it was one that was made before the open worlds in games got far too big. Each of the islands are a decent size and all of them offer a good amount of secrets to find, missions to complete and areas to explore. I think a big reason for me remembering the layout of the islands is due to the size of them. Because open worlds are so large these days developers tend to have to put things like markers, waypoints and other helpful tips in the game in order to help the player navigate where to go. These things aren't in this game and this means that the player ends up learning the different routes to take across each of the islands, with certain areas becoming landmarks for you as you map out the world in your head.

EunAmp3XcAQd6VQ?format=jpg&name=4096x409
I always get the urge to give the cars in front a nudge when the bridge goes up.

I had an absolute blast just driving around each of the islands in the various vehicles, with the music blasting from the speakers. Each of the radio stations are outstanding in this game, with Flashback and Rise FM being my two favourites. Rise made me very nostalgic for the late 90's dance/club music, something that I loved back then. Flashback has that classic 80's vibe that I adore.

My memory did play tricks on me though in regards to the track list. I seem to remember there being loads of different songs on each of the stations but there is actually only a handful. Saying that, it's still very impressive what the put in the game given it was 2001 and nobody else had done anything like this before.

I tackled the game in a way that set me up nicely. I took on most of the side missions ASAP, as well as collecting the packages. This meant that when doing the side missions none of the gangs were after me which meant I had a much easier time. Collecting the packages as soon as I reached a new island meant that my base was kitted out with all the best gear, all ready and waiting for me to use at will. The hardest of these side missions was easily the Paramedic mission. Having to get to and complete level 12 of this took some doing. Starting off with only a few patients to pick up isn't that bad but once you start getting 9-12 of them to collect it really pushes you to go faster and pick certain routes in order to optimize the pick ups. Still, doing it is worth it as it meant I could run without any loss of stamina for the rest of the game.

EunAgoMXMAc-teZ?format=jpg&name=4096x409
Fully loaded!

Most of the missions were fun to play through and I love the variety of ways you can tackle each of them. There was a mission where I had to a construction site and wipe out a bunch of enemies. Walking straight in there would have been a nightmare and instead I opted to hang right back and pick most of them off with a sniper. Another mission seen me trying to chase down a vehicle and keep ramming it to make it explode. A better option was to drive ahead of it, get out the car and then just pull out a rocket launcher. The final example I will give is one of a race. Before it started I drove up to the starting line with a coach/bus, parked it across the other racers, blocking them from moving and then jumped in my car to start said race. They were stuck and I rolled away to an easy victory. Being inventive with how you tackle the missions is half the fun in this game.

I honestly adored my time with the game but it also bummed me out. Back then we got 3 GTA games on a single console, all of which were fantastic. Now, we don't even get one every generation, with Rockstar/Take Two instead happy to constantly milk the cash cow that is GTA Online. It's another example of how the industry has changed for the worse in recent years. At least I can still go back to these older games and relive the gaming days when things were a little simpler and publishers weren't trying to constantly get your money and information. It's just a shame more publishers didn't jump on the bandwagon and publish more of their PS2 games on the PS4. I would have loved to have play more of them. I do still have GTA Vice City to tackle at some point. I bought a few years ago now but couldn't get to grips with the control scheme. Now that i've gotten used to it with GTA3 I should now be fine to play it.

Brilliant game and absolute classic. Truly the godfather of open world games. :D 

• Like 4

25 minutes ago, Hero-of-Time said:

For some reason, lately I've been pretty nostalgic for the PS2, seen this was on sale on the PSN store and so picked it up.

Have you played God Hand before? If not, and if you’re still in the mood for PS2 games I’d definitely recommend it.

7 minutes ago, RedShell said:

Have you played God Hand before? If not, and if you’re still in the mood for PS2 games I’d definitely recommend it.

Nah. I'm not sure I'll like it. It looks so weird. :D 

• Haha 1

Just now, Hero-of-Time said:

Nah. I'm not sure I'll like it. It looks so weird. :D 

Not gonna lie, it is pretty weird. :hehe: 

The gameplay is superb though. One of the most unique (and challenging) fighting games ever made. :cool: 

• Thanks 2

I have a significant progress update for Dark Souls as I have defeated not one, but TWO lords.

Over the past few days I've been making good headway in the game. I managed to open a shortcut in Duke's Archives which would allow me to access the bit behind the rotating staircases much quicker. Went through and was really impressed by the backyard for some reason, how there was this nice tranquil area just outside the Archives... well, apart from the giant crystal enemies that is!

Proceeded further and entered the Crystal Caves. I already knew from Youtube summary videos that this place has invisible platforms so naturally I just lunged on straight forward towards the end of the crystal platform... and fell straight into the pit! Whoops. Fortunately I did notice that there was a side platform coming out of said crystal so followed that instead... then it became immediately obvious where the invisible platforms were and how to tell where they are, look at the tear drops. But here's where the lack of a Lens of Truth becomes problematic, for more complex platforms how to you see where you're going? I then died to a crystal guardian after my HDMI cable lost signal during the middle of a fight and subsequently fell off the platform because I couldn't see where my character was walking. It caused me to put the game down for a bit but after changing HDMI cables I was able to make further progress and wondered across what I thought was the second bridge. I was then however very confused as I reached the end of that second crystal and there were no further fbridges from there to get onto further areas and the only one I could see thanks to a message was right above me. So, is there a seperate path in the invisible walkway that leads up there or another walkway?

Turns out I'd taken an optional path and if you proceed to the end of the first crystal after the first required invisible walkway and roll to avoid sliding off the edge you can stand on the platform at the end and THAT's how you're supposed to get onto that invisible walkway.

So I eventually made it across to the other side but I tell you, walking straight on in a very specific direction on invisible platforms is hard. I had no idea if I was walking straight on in some case and ended up dying after walking straight off the side of the platform. It took additional online messages to help me ensure I was walking straight so thanks to whoever left those messages.

Onto Seath the Scaleless next and this fight took me SO many attempts. Ironically enough I almost beat it first time but died to Curse. Eventually the clams outside stopped dropping Purging Stones and I ran out of the stones so I was faced with a situation where I couldn't reverse Curse status unless I got another Purging Stone. I couldn't afford to get cursed again. This ironically was what eventually saw me win the fight as I was motivated to learn where the crystals would spawn and as a result I wound up standing next to the left leg and hacking away at Seath until he died. Managed to avoid curse and finally won the fight.

Next up I travelled back to Darkroot Garden in search of the Crest of Artorias, thinking there was a merchant in there that sold it... it's been nearly three years so I'd forgotten that Andre the Blacksmith is who sells the Crest of Artorias. So I nabbed the Crest and opened up a new area of the Darkroot Garden. After wondering past a few locations and embarassingly dying to the mushrooms I reached Artorias' grave and fought the most infamous boss in this game... Zacian! OK, it's obviously Sif but it's a dog with a sword in its mouth. That's just inherently cool. I fought Sif and defeated him on my first time... turns out he's supposed to be not very hard because he's not actually evil. He's just protecting his masters grave and doesn't really want to have to fight you, you are provoking him. The problem is you can't leave the arena once the fight starts and something I completely missed when I fought him because I was so focused on doing that last point of damage is that he limps when he's low on health... I suddenly feel like a heartless monster! I'm sorry Sif, you deserved better and if the game didn't have such an important item that I needed to finish the game I wouldn't have killed you :(

I've been dreading New Londo Ruins all game. The ghosts have always proved problematic during my visits there so I never really ventured very far. I did get the Fire Keeper Soul before Ornstein and Smough so that was a nice bonus. The problem was I only had two Transient Curses and I assumed they would run out really quickly... turns out they last quite a while. I did backtrack to Sen's Fortress as I missed the Covetous Gold Serpent Ring from earlier and quadrupled my supply of curses as it turns out the curses last a really long time before you need to apply another. So that meade the whole area much more manageable because that was the main thing I was worried about. Having no bonfires in the area wasn't nice but fortunately I unintentionally found a shortcut thinking it was the way you were supposed to go. I still wondered down the wrong way a few times and ended up at the other entrance from Valley of Drakes. Obviously I had found the healer and drained the water by this point. Kindling Firelink Shrine to 20 meant I had quite a lot of health and recovery and that proved vital as it turns out The Four Kings wasn't quite the overwhelming fight that I thought it might be a la Bell Gargoyles and Ornstein and Smough. In fact, you can be full on agressive on this fight and kill the kings relatively quickly. It still took me three attempts to do the fight though and I lost a whole bunch of souls in the process because I managed to die to the Darkwraith/Ghost combo on one of my trips back... whoops!

But yeah, Four Kings defeated and only one Lord Soul left to get. Unforunately I missed the bonfire in Queelag's Domain so I have to travel all the way back to Blighttown again! *shudder*. I will be taking the Valley of Drakes route to go back I think but I also might go to Darkroot Garden to farm Blooming Purple Moss Clumps to be able to counter the toxin I face on the way back. That being said I can't believe I'm getting towards the end of this game now!

On a related note I had a new Youtube video go up this evening and its Dark Souls themed, its from Soulcalibur VI and its a custom fight between Ornstein and Smough.

• Like 3

On 24/01/2021 at 6:15 PM, Jonnas said:

I figured, maybe I can do that once per month, clear 3 or 4 short games from my backlog in a specific deadline, either a week or a weekend. Could even do specific themes.

I still don't know what to call this monthly ritual ("Jonnas' monthly pot-pourri?" I don't know, but that'll have to do for now), but I plan on sticking with it until December.

So, February. Not many short games focusing on Carnival or Valentine's, but with the N-E Café podcast doing a PodPals episode focused on Edith Finch, I figured it would be appropriate to do three story-driven games from my backlog, short ones as per usual. I wanted to do them last weekend, but that turned out to be difficult, so I extended the period to the entire week.

Anyway, the three I chose are...

Life is Strange (Episode 1)

capsule_616x353.jpg?t=1592488448

But it wasn't free...

I actually bought the first Episode on Steam a few years ago for a cheap price (2,50€ or something). I just never brought myself to actually play it until now. Then I found out it's free these days. Oh well.

Anyway, Life is Strange needs no introduction. This story-driven, point&clicky, Telltale-y game from Dontnod (a French developer, to my surprise) was widely talked about during its release in 2015. It's supposed to tell the story of a teen girl in an American High School, and it touched on heavy subjects. Alright, I can give at least Episode 1 a try.

I will say, I was fairly pleased with its mechanics. I'm an old-school point&clicker, so the over-the-shoulder camera irks me for this genre, but it worked better than expected. The button shortcuts were intuitive enough as well, and there were actually a lot of small things to inspect and interact with. Plus, the short-form rewind mechanic actually works like a charm in a game that allows you to choose various actions, since you can at least see the immediate effects of your dialogue choices (and avoids dishonest situations where what you pick is way more hostile than you thought. If "Ignore him" actually becomes "Antagonize him wordlessly", you can turn back time to pick something more to your liking), but it still locks you into those choices after some time passes.

Puzzle-wise, it's all run of the mill stuff, except for the time travel stuff. Time travel is pretty well used, allowing for puzzles with a short window of opportunity, as well as puzzles that must be solved in a specific order or else you're locked out. That sort of puzzle was common in old games of the genre (especially Sierra), but the rewind mechanic in LiS actually makes them work well, without any needless frustration. My main nitpick is that your location somehow doesn't rewind with everything else, which makes no sense.

As for the story, which is what actually matters in this game... Gotta be honest, I don't jive well with the American High School setting. Not only am I tired of all the typical high school drama from films and TV, my own school experience was considerably different from this (specifically, the characters here are 17-18, dealing with a hostile school environment I haven't truly felt since I was 13-14). I thought the fact that this was an art course would mean a different environment from the clichés, but no, there's the bully, the nerds, the queen bee, the lovable-but-nerdy-and-supposedly-plain-and-homely protagonist... all the typical stuff from high school dramas of the US and Europe alike.

That said, I still enjoyed the writing a lot. Easier to notice in locations other than the high school, but the short time I spent with this game was enough to make me get attached to the characters (even the antagonists), which is always a good sign. I'm avoiding saying anything specific about the story, since it's wiser to go in blind, but I definitely dug a lot of what Chapter 1 had to offer (plot twists, voice acting, character development... it hit the mark all around).

[Rant] One thing that annoys me is the memetic "[Character] will remember that". That's a quick way to ruin immersion, and telegraph future plot developments. Like, you know why the trial scene in Chrono Trigger works so well? Because you had no idea it was coming, and everything they mentioned was your legitimate choice. But if there was a "Gato will remember that" message every time you did something, your actions would no longer be natural. Just... stop telling me all the time my actions "will have consequences", you're spoling your own game! If you want to tell me my actions impact the world, do it with a proper reactions from other characters. [/Rant]

However, I have decided to not play the following episodes. The gameplay was better than expected, but I still wasn't much attached to it. The High School drama stuff is still a chore for me to go through, and I just kept having this feeling that the game, for all its strengths, never quite clicked with me on a mechanical or aesthetic level. I recognize its quality, but I'm sad to say that Life is Strange is not for me.

But I'd give a chance to a game like this in a different setting for sure, I see the potential.

The Stanley Parable

TheStanleyParableCapa.jpg

The Stanley Parable

Stanley was Alone. That was his first thought... wait, wrong game. Stanley was asleep when he heard a voice say "Wake up, sleepyhead! You'll be late for the Milleni-" no, that's not it either. Stanley is actually just a regular employee and test subject, just listening to his radio at the Aperture Science Enrichm- fuck it, we're doing it live!

The Stanley Parable is a bizarre 2014 game about videogames and the nature thereof. It's a very short first-person walking simulator that you can complete in like 15 minutes. However, those minutes give you plenty of choice, which is where the meat of the game is: seeing the branching paths you can take along the way.

What even is a Stanley, anyway? A miserable pile of secrets! But more concretely, Stanley is supposed to be a generic office worker that one day realises everybody in his office disappeared. What you he does next is up to you, go wherever you want. The narrator, as his name implies, will take care of the narrative. He'll nudge you here and there, provide context for the paths you take, the usual, helpful stuff.

But what is it about? Comedy, mostly. I thought it'd be a shallow parody of videogames in general, a post-modernist nonsense if you will, but it does have meta-commentary on the nature of choice and freedom (and how it relates to videogames) that might be worth paying attention to. And even if that does not interest you, the set pieces you see along the way are pretty well done, and plenty entertaining on their own.

Anyway, after about 90 minutes, I had seen about 6 or 7 endings. All the major ones I could see, at least. I'm sure there are obscure endings I didn't quite find, but I'm content with the major ones. I was quite entertained by this silly game. Good thing I only paid around 3€ for it.

Can I say that I replayed this game at least 5 times, though? That's a debate.

1979 Revolution: Black Friday

1979-revolution-black-friday---button-15

Not to be confused with the yearly mayhem in the USA

So, back to the serious stuff. This 2016 game has been on my radar for a long time, but I somehow kept finding reasons to delay me playing it (even though I've had it on GOG for so long). It's supposed to be a documentary of sorts, telling the story of the 1979 revolution in Iran, and that aim to tackle a potentially controversial historical event in this manner had me intrigued.

You play as Reza Shirazi, a photojournalist who's living the political powder keg that is Iran in late 1978. While covering the frequent protests, he also comes into contact with a shaky coalition that opposes the Shah. The game is structured in a way that introduces various aspects of Iran's culture, history, and politics to the player, and that seems to be the main goal, really.

Sadly, there is no Farsi voice acting available (the developer said this was something he'd like to add, but it seems they couldn't do it), but the majority of English voice acting was done mostly by Iranian actors anyway, many of whom would throw Farsi phrases here and there. Not the most immersive thing, but it's an acceptable substitute. I normally don't put this much importance on the voice actors' identity, but the genuine Iranian accents were significant to this game.

Gameplay-wise, it's a lot like Telltale games, where you control a character across open spaces you can inspect (with some spots allowing you to take photos of noteworthy elements), but will also spend a lot of time a predetermined path where you pick dialogue options and make other choices here and there. There are also segments that ask for your input/interaction in minor ways (like QTEs). Compared to Life is Strange, this game's UI was a lot rougher around the edges, being clunky in places, QTE moments coming out of nowhere, button prompts being inconsistent all around, and the NPC AI occasionally sandwiching you into a corner. Furthermore, the game's UI was clearly designed for mobile devices, meaning even a mouse is imperfect.

So what are the game's strengths? For starters, the developers were serious about the documentary part of it. Most of the objects/people you can interact with unlock a page in your "stories" diary, which are brief paragraphs that provide further context for Iranian society, culture, and/or politics. The initial chapter at a protest seems like a linear corridor, but if you stop to check/photograph as many details as you can, you'll get dozens of pages talking about Iran, from popular celebrities of the time, to common religious practices, and even actual transcripts from notable political figures.

The writing is also really strong. Doing its best to present common opinions, factions, and values of the time, it actually successfully avoids a common pitfall of similar period pieces: the power of hindsight, that is to say, no character here acts or speaks like they know that religious groups will eventually seize power in the country (down to barely mentioning Ayatollah Khomeini. The "stories" mention him a lot due to being written in the past tense, but in-story, his presence is miniscule). Dedicated to boiling down a political conflict to its rawest elements, it replicates that uncertain feeling of being on the cusp of a revolutionary movement, with all the excitement, paranoia, and disappointment that it entails (I did get swept up a couple of times in the excitement before remembering I already know where history leads to). In a way, the awkward UI even helps in this regard, because even the mechanics are uncertain and unpredictable, and you never know what kind of outlandish scenario you'll be dealing with each chapter.

Reza himself has no well defined political beliefs besides being sympathetic to the revolutionary cause ("oppressive authoritarianism is bad" is the only belief you can't change about him). The minutia of it is up to the player (how militant he is, how empathetic he is to soldiers, etc.), with Reza becoming a surprisingly effective, somewhat blank slate for this game. What confuses me is that... I don't know if he's based on a real person or not. Logic says no, but the game drops evidence that a real Reza may have existed. It's weird.

Spoiler

The choices are pretty meaningless, aren't they? The story never leaves its path in any significant way, and the only change is Reza's relationship with his brother (which in brutal authoritarian fashion, defines whether the brother is executed during joint torture, or if he becomes the torturer himself). It's really bleak, a lot of story details go unresolved, and I... kinda love it? In the end, the actions of a regular man don't change history by themselves, and oppressing a violent regime is ugly and tragic most of the time. if the point of the story is realism, well, here it is.

Also, for as much as I ranted above on "[Character] will remember this", this game just seems to subvert that. The game says "Ali will remember this" only to kill him off less than a minute later. In the worst ending, "Hossein will remember this" pops up 5 seconds from the end! The game's just toying with you, to the point it almost sounds like a parody. Or is it just highlighting how little individual choices actually matter in this oppressive environment? It's a bold game.

I really enjoyed 1979. Absolutely fascinating game, and one I highly recommend (and also advise that you think of it as a documentary, or digital museum)

----------------------

So, throughout the week, I learned that the Telltale style is grating on me, that a clunky UI can be more engaging than a clean, sanitized one, and that Stanley has a lot to say about the nature of choice of the other two games I played.

My 2021 log (Hide contents)

Played/Beat/Completed:

-Fire Emblem: Three Houses (2019) Beat (January 9th)

-Fatal Fury Special (1993) No Goal (January 17th)

-Art of Fighting 2 (1994) No Goal (January 19th)

-Samurai Shodown II (1994) No Goal (January 20th)

-Perfect Angle (2015) Dropped (January 20th)

-The Last Blade (1997) No Goal (January 22nd)

-Real Bout Fatal Fury 2 - The Newcomers (1998) No Goal (January 22nd)

-King of Fighters 2000 (2000) No Goal (January 23rd)

-King of Fighters 2002 (2002) No Goal (January 23rd)

-Samurai Shodown V Special (2004) No Goal (January 23rd)

-Harmo Knight (2012) Beat (January 25th)

-Furi (2016) Completed (January 31st)

-Life is Strange (Episode 1) (2015) Beat (February 13th)

-The Stanley Parable (2013) Completed (February 14th)

-1979 Revolution: Black Friday (2016) Beat (February 17th)

I was planning on doing some games from Capcom Arcade Museum for March, but considering how that release actually turned out to be, I'll need to find another theme...

Edited by Jonnas
  • Like 3

@Jonnas, I only have one very important question...

Did you get the Broom Closet Ending? The Broom Closet Ending was my favourite!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Glen-i said:

@Jonnas, I only have one very important question...

Did you get the Broom Closet Ending? The Broom Closet Ending was my favourite!

First ending I got!

• Haha 2

@Aperson Great to see you're progressing nicely with Dark Souls. You're in the final stretch now. Unfortunately you've saved the worst area until last though!

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, Goron_3 said:

@Aperson Great to see you're progressing nicely with Dark Souls. You're in the final stretch now. Unfortunately you've saved the worst area until last though!

I like to think of it as motivation. By saving the worst area until last, it can act as encouragement to push through it to finish the game because I know I'm close.

Edited by Aperson
  • Haha 1

Man, the grind to level 50 on Worms Rumble is insane. I had no intention of playing it this weekend but read there was double exp and gold happening. This being the case, I've spent a stupid amount of time trying to reach the max level for the trophy and despite all of this I'm still only level 47. 

You can tell people are sick of the grind because there are so many of them just AFK in the TDM games. I can see why. You still get a fair amount of gold and exp for just sitting there. 

I'm gonna keep plugging away at it but I doubt I'll reach level 50 before the event ends. I really regret starting this game but I'm in for the long haul now. :( 

I've got a weeks holiday from work this week but haven't decided what to play yet. At this rate I'll need a couple of days to recover from all this exp grinding on Worms.

19 minutes ago, Hero-of-Time said:

Man, the grind to level 50 on Worms Rumble is insane.

I was starting to wonder when you're going to flaunt that Platinum screenshot. Guess it's gonna take a while longer. :p

17 minutes ago, drahkon said:

I was starting to wonder when you're going to flaunt that Platinum screenshot. Guess it's gonna take a while longer. :p

Yeah. Even if I do manage to get to level 50 tonight it will still take about another week to unlock one of the trophies.

I imagine the platinum will be quite a rare one. With the trophies being so grindy, as well as it being a PS+ game, the percentage will be quite low.

Don't want to spam too much here, but I've put some time into a few titles recently.

[Together] NintendoLand: Mario Chase

[Lee Plays] Archaica: The Path of Light (Part 1)

[Lee Plays] XMorph Defense (Part 1)

10 hours ago, Hero-of-Time said:

I'm gonna keep plugging away at it but I doubt I'll reach level 50 before the event ends. I really regret starting this game but I'm in for the long haul now. :( 

I mean, you could just, you know, not play it anymore?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Glen-i said:

I mean, you could just, you know, not play it anymore?

Nah, plus I reached level 50 this morning. I woke up at half 4 and seen that double exp was still on. I thought that would have been the grinding done but I still need a stupid amount of cash to unlock every item.