NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
Glen-i

A topic on the declining interest in the N-E Mario Kart League

What stops you from playing in the N-E League?  

15 members have voted

1. 1. You see, the thing is... (Multiple selections allowed)

• Thursday is a day that I just can't make
    • I'm worried that I'm not good enough...
    • I don't like the restrictive themes Glen slaps onto everyone
    • I don't own a Switch Online Account
    • I own the game, but have lost interest in playing
    • It's something else, and I'll explain why in the thread
    • I don't own the game, and I'm not sure what I'm doing here...
    • It's fine as is. I have no issues with the League right now.

The N-Europe Mario Kart League has finished for the year, and I can't help but feel concerned about the steady drop-off of frequent participants, so if you'll take me seriously for once (I know, tall order), I'd like to get some feedback from those of you who may have some interest or have taken part in the past in what might entice you to rejoin.

I think the weekly get together is a great way for the N-Europe community to spend an hour having some laughs and the more people who race in the League, the more frantic and unpredictable it can be, which leads to more exciting outcomes.

I really enjoy running and taking part in the League and if it means having more people take part, then I'd be willing to hear what changes I might need to make to the structure.

So go on, hit me with your reasons. I'm all ears.

Edited by Glen-i
  • Thanks 1

For me it's just a case of not really being too keen on Mario Kart anymore. There is the very occasional time I'll join in, which I think happened a couple of times this year, but I very rarely play it these days. 

FWIW I think the league is great. I always loved the different themes and think you (and @BowserBasher in your absence) do a great job of running things. It certainly helped me get way, way more mileage out of an MK game than I usually do. I think I'm coming close to 150 hours on the Wii U and Switch version now, and 80% of that is the league over the years. 

I still try to jump in on Smash when I can on Thursdays and still haven't got tired of playing that. But I think I'd need a new MK game or some new content before I would commit to the league every week. 

• Thanks 3

Would love to take part and would if the time suited, but it never will, any evening for you lot in the UK is about 3-4am for me.  Sound asleep thanks.

• Thanks 2

I had to pick the funny answers in the poll for me. Lol. 
Ok, I still love playing in the league even though I don’t play the game in single player any more (got all golds on everything and time trials don’t bother me too much) but online with this mad bunch is where I have the most fun. Even if it is one of @Glen-i stupid worst night ever themes. 
 Going forward any night is ok with me as I no longer work evenings. I do hope we can get a few players back, I know we won’t be back to the days of two groups but we have managed to get 6 or 7 playing. Let’s aim for 10. 

• Thanks 2

For me it's the day. I can't make Thursday nights anymore because I have band practice. Would love to join again if it's a day I can make.

That said, I think I enjoy Smash even more, but the time slot is too late for me. I'm an hour later here and you start at my 22.15. 

• Thanks 2

23 minutes ago, Vileplume2000 said:

For me it's the day. I can't make Thursday nights anymore because I have band practice. Would love to join again if it's a day I can make.

That said, I think I enjoy Smash even more, but the time slot is too late for me. I'm an hour later here and you start at my 22.15. 

Well, if the day was changed, it could also free up Smash to happen earlier. It's something I've been considering.

For me it was initially a case of no longer being able to make it on Thursday, but now it’s also that I’ve simply lost interest in MK8DX. :blank: 

The N-E MK League has spanned several MK titles already, but when you take into consideration the Wii U version, MK8/DX has almost certainly had the longest run of the lot. The way I see it, a new MK game is long overdue at this point!

You lot will scoff at this but the truth is I get my MK fix from Tour these days. And I actually think it’s a real shame Nintendo didn’t find a way to incorporate the content from that game into MK8DX, as it would’ve massively helped in keeping it fresh. ::shrug:

Spoiler

There could’ve been many more options for themes with characters like Pauline, Birdo, Monty Mole, King Bob-omb, Nabbit, Captain Toad, Dixie Kong... Not to mention all of the variations for other characters, or the colossal amount of new kart customisations. 

And then there’s the new courses plus returning retro ones like Sunset Wilds, Airship Fortress, Shy Guy Bazaar, Kalimari Desert, Maple Treeway, Dino Dino Jungle, etc.

Say what you will about MK Tour, but you just can’t fault it when it comes to variety and content. It’s basically the definitive MK in that regard. :o

But yeah, unfortunately I’ve just had enough of MK8DX. Whenever MK9 becomes a reality you can guarantee I’ll be very much IN! the N-E League once again. :)

Edited by RedShell
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 3

I'd be very happy if they brought all the MK Tour courses into the MK8 engine, had characters unlockable via the challenges (no random elements) and released it as a separate Switch game.

Seems like it would be a cheap way to get a new MK on Switch.

As for me, I have Mario Kart 8 on Wii U, not Switch. With no upgrade or discount, it's just too expensive.

• Thanks 2

I would've been interested as I just bought it, lmao. I've never played it on Wii U but played Mario Kart Wii obsessively.

I would've been interested in Smash but due to furlough and things being pricey, I couldn't get it. If its ever on sale for £30-odd, I could do it as I have over £15 left on my Nintendo wallet

• Like 1

I don't own a switch and played Mario Kart 8 to death on the Wii U.

Maybe people are just bored of playing Mario Kart 8 after 6 years.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I’ve only taken part in one or two rounds in the many years that this has been running but I hope it continues for many years to come. 

I’m in a similar position to @Londragon and it would be far too selfish for me to say the timing is an issue. If the league happened at the weekend I would absolutely try to join but that’s my issue and not something for you to think about. 

@Glen-i I think you do a fantastic job of running the league and I hope everyone will continue to take part as much as possible. I think it’s great we have this sort of thing running and bringing us all together. I would love to play more with all of you.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

46 minutes ago, Beast said:

I would've been interested as I just bought it, lmao. I've never played it on Wii U but played Mario Kart Wii obsessively.

I would've been interested in Smash but due to furlough and things being pricey, I couldn't get it. If its ever on sale for £30-odd, I could do it as I have over £15 left on my Nintendo wallet

18 minutes ago, Will said:

I’m in a similar position to @Londragon and it would be far too selfish for me to say the timing is an issue. If the league happened at the weekend I would absolutely try to join but that’s my issue and not something for you to think about.

This ‘is why this tread was created. We are trying to see if an alternate day would be better for people that can’t make a Thursday. I would love to have nights that are filled with 7 or 8 players again. 

• Thanks 1

A few reasons for me.

1. As lostmario said, the game is very old at this point and I played it to death on the Wii U.

2. Thursday's always seemed like a weird evening to play on. Friday night or a weekend would be better as the standard working week would be over.

3. I've always hated the point system/tally. I'd be much more inclined to join in if it was just a Mario Kart Meet Up rather than Mario Kart League. Keeping track of points and attendance is too strict for my liking.

4. Far too many other games to play. I suppose playing MK for an hour a week isn't a huge time sink but if you're engrossed in a new game release I would feel pressured to come off that just to join in with you guys, even though I'd prefer to keep on playing whatever I was playing.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

A few reasons for me.
1. As lostmario said, the game is very old at this point and I played it to death on the Wii U.
2. Thursday's always seemed like a weird evening to play on. Friday night or a weekend would be better as the standard working week would be over.
3. I've always hated the point system/tally. I'd be much more inclined to join in if it was just a Mario Kart Meet Up rather than Mario Kart League. Keeping track of points and attendance is too strict for my liking.
4. Far too many other games to play. I suppose playing MK for an hour a week isn't a huge time sink but if you're engrossed in a new game release I would feel pressured to come off that just to join in with you guys, even though I'd prefer to keep on playing whatever I was playing.
A Mario Kart Meet Up would be cool! Though this MK is bloody hard! Seriously, it's way different! It's literally like I'd be in first place and out of nowhere, I get attacked or someone zooms past as I almost cross the line on the final lap!

14 hours ago, Hero-of-Time said:

A few reasons for me.

1. Yup, I suspected this was the main reason when I made this thread.

2. And I suspected this was the second reason. But unlike the first, I can actually do something about this.

3. I find this reasoning a bit strange, because I'm the only one who actually keeps track of that stuff. Sometimes @BowserBasher gives me results of nights I can't make, but no-one else has to worry about that.

The point system I use provides a way to compete without having to attend every single week. I do implement a threshold of 50% attendance to stop someone coming in, performing really well and then buggering off for the rest of the year. I don't think 25-ish hours in a whole year is too unreasonable.

4. See, I wouldn't want anyone to begrudgingly join if they've got other games to play.

Anyway, it seems pretty clear that one of the main reasons people don't join is the day. With the League starting again soon, I'm gonna take this opportunity to ask the League regulars, @BowserBasher, @S.C.G, @viceview51, @martinist if Saturday would be OK for you guys this year?

• Like 1

I just know as soon as I buy it they will announce MK 9 though. :( And with Nintendo's short lead time from announcement to release these days...

Perhaps, I'll keep an eye out if it is on sale (physical) in the January sales.

Saturday is fine for Mario Kart, though if Smash moves to Saturday right after Mario Kart as well, I'll probably just be in for the dlc character nights.

2 hours ago, S.C.G said:

Saturday is fine for Mario Kart, though if Smash moves to Saturday right after Mario Kart as well, I'll probably just be in for the dlc character nights.

I think smash is staying on a Thursday. It gives us more time then for smash. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, BowserBasher said:

I think smash is staying on a Thursday. It gives us more time then for smash. 

Yeah, at least this way, we can move Smash to 8pm. Give people in Europe more of a reasonable time to join in.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I didn't have the game till november, or when did I join. Everything else is OK. I have specific working hours so there si not a day or an hour I can always attend.

• Thanks 2

Sign in to follow this