NEurope
Beast

Beast's Switch Journey

I am so excited to own a Switch! Well, I'm opening it on the 25th but I'm very excited to be giving this a go as I've heard nothing but great things about it.

The console and accessories I have for it:

nintendo hw switch console switch animal crossing: Amazon.co.uk: Electronics

PowerA Enhanced Wired Controller for Nintendo Switch – Animal Crossing,  Gamepad, Wired Video Game Controller, Gaming Controller: Amazon.co.uk: PC &  Video Games

Games I own:

• Animal Crossing: New Horizons
  • Just Dance 2020
  • Final Fantasy X/X-2 HD Remaster
  • Aladdin/The Lion King
  • Ring Fit Adventures
  • Horace
  • Tetris 99
  • Super Mario Bros. 35
  • Skyforge
  • Swordbreaker
  • Night Trap: 25th Anniversary Edition
  • Mario + Rabbids: Kingdom Battle

Games I want/Games to play:

• Captain Toad: Treasure Tracker
  • Luigi's Mansion 3
  • Super Mario Bros. U Deluxe
  • Super Mario Maker 2
  • Mario Kart 8 Deluxe
  • Super Mario Oddysey
  • Super Smash Bros. Ultimate
  • The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild
  • The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening
  • Dragon Quest XI: Echoes of an Elusive Age
  • The Binding of Isaac: Afterbirth Plus
  • Yoku's Island Express
  • South Park: The Stick of Truth
  • South Park: The Fractured but Whole
  • Xenoblade Chronicles: Definitive Edition
  • Xenoblade Chronicles 2
  • Fitness Boxing 2
  • Pikmin 3
  • Just Dance 2017
  • Just Dance 2018
  • Just Dance 2019
  • Just Dance 2021
  • Fire Emblem: Three Houses
  • Gorogoa
  • Astral Chain
  • Hades
  • Final Fantasy VII
  • Final Fantasy VIII
  • Final Fantasy IX
  • Final Fantasy XII: The Zodiac Age
  • Resident Evil
  • Resident Evil 4
  • Resident Evil 5
  • Resident Evil 6
  • Resident Evil: Revelations
  • Resident Evil: Revelations 2
  • Pokemon Let's Go Pikachu/Eevee
  • Cobra Kai: The Karate Kid Saga Continues

There's a big sale on right now and even though I'm on a budget, I'll still try and play anything recommended.

Edited by Beast
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Wahey! Congrats! :D 

The Switch is an embarrassment of riches for anyone that didn’t own a Wii U.  My advice would be to start with getting all of the Wii U ports, such as Bayonetta 1&2, Captain Toad and Donkey Kong Country Tropical Freeze.  Then move on to getting the rest of Nintendo’s first party titles (especially Luigi’s Mansion 3; that’s the best one!)

Edited by Dcubed
  • Like 1

19 minutes ago, Beast said:

• Pokemon Let's Go Pikachu (as I heard this is a 3D remake of Red)

It kinda is? It's more of a case of Pokémon Yellow with the catching mechanics of Pokémon GO replacing the usual Pokémon catching method.

If you have friends to play with, then Smash is highly recommended. The amount of characters is nuts and provides a lot of entertainment.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Beast said:

Astral Chain

Don't bother. Platinum has been overrated for a long time now and this tedious mess of a game proves it.

Hades is a must-have!

• Like 1

Bother with Astral Chain, a ton of people love it (87 on Metacritic, 8.9 user score).

Like Dcubed says if you didn't own a Wii U especially the Switch has an insane amount of 'quality' games, and it's basically the definitive indie handheld.

Way too many to list but Mario Odyssey is a great place to start. And don't sleep on Mario + Rabbids either, don't let the latter part put you off, it's a fantastic turn based strategy game. Fire Emblem Three Houses is apparently amazing too. 

• Like 1

For what it's worth Just Dance 2021 is £30 in most places at the moment so it might be cheaper than 2020

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Beast said:

in case I can't get to the gym if we go to Tier 4

This screams Ring Fit Adventure of course!

And of course congrats on getting a Switch, hope you enjoy it as much as I do! :)

Other (mostly obvious) recommendations are:

Smash Ultimate

Mario Kart 8 DX

BOTW

Mario Odyssey 

Some top of mind personal eshop favourites (especially when they’re on sale):

Wargroove

Gorogoa

Horace

• Like 1

Congratulations! I agree with those that mentioned the Wii U ports if you haven’t already played the Wii U versions.

For the non-1st party games, with so many games in your list, Nintendo regularly hold eShop sales. So if you’re not in a rush to play specific titles then it may be worth waiting for them to get discounted through one of those sales.

Do you have easy access to local co-op in your household? There are a few good games for that without the need to buy an additional controller.

Saying that, I recommend a Pro Controller. They’re still a little pricey, but for me it’s been so much nicer to use when playing on the TV.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, markderoos said:

Oh and speaking of, you may want to check out Fitness Boxing. The sequel is recently out and there's a demo on the eshop. 

• Like 1

As others have said, if you missed out on the Wii U then I definitely recommend Captain Toad, Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze, Pikmin 3, New Super Mario Bros U Deluxe and Mario Kart 8 Deluxe. 

In terms of Switch exclusives, Luigi's Mansion 3, Mario & Rabbids, Fire Emblem: Three Houses and Pokemon Lets Go Eevee/Pikachu are all must have games. 

Out of all those I have mentioned, IMO the top 3 to pick up would be Donkey Kong, Luigi's Mansion and Captain Toad.

• Like 1

Since you mention FF X and X-2, you might want to look into Dragon Quest XI. Luigi's Mansion 3 and Mario & Rabbids are also great, as mentioned already, and you could always check out Link's Awakening if you fancy a charming and concise Zelda game.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Dcubed said:

Wahey! Congrats! :D 

The Switch is an embarrassment of riches for anyone that didn’t own a Wii U.  My advice would be to start with getting all of the Wii U ports, such as Bayonetta 1&2, Captain Toad and Donkey Kong Country Tropical Freeze.  Then move on to getting the rest of Nintendo’s first party titles (especially Luigi’s Mansion 3; that’s the best one!)

Yes, I totally forgot about Bayonetta. I loved playing that on the Xbox 360 and I love Devil May Cry so I'm definitely picking it up, for sure. I've never actually owned a Wii U so I'll definitely pick those up. Captain Toad looks interesting. Luigi's Mansion 3 is a definite one I want. Is Luigi's Mansion Remastered on the Nintendo Switch? I could've sworn it was...

9 hours ago, Glen-i said:

It kinda is? It's more of a case of Pokémon Yellow with the catching mechanics of Pokémon GO replacing the usual Pokémon catching method.

If you have friends to play with, then Smash is highly recommended. The amount of characters is nuts and provides a lot of entertainment.

I'll definitely buy that then! I like Pokemon but honestly, I only  really like the original 151 Pokemon and to see them updated would be awesome as I used to rot on Red/Blue/Yellow as a kid (and even now, I play it on my Retron5). The catching mechanics sounds interesting. I think I remembered playing it a while back when I had to test it and I had to sort of flick the joycon or something. 

9 hours ago, drahkon said:

Don't bother. Platinum has been overrated for a long time now and this tedious mess of a game proves it.

Hades is a must-have!

I'm definitely going to get Hades at some point as it looks awesome. A guy in GAME showed me the gameplay and it looks amazing. Astral Chain reminds me a little bit of NieR Automata and that was why I was intrigued. Also, it came recommended by my friend's brother, who has gone crazy over it. 

9 hours ago, Ronnie said:

Bother with Astral Chain, a ton of people love it (87 on Metacritic, 8.9 user score).

Like Dcubed says if you didn't own a Wii U especially the Switch has an insane amount of 'quality' games, and it's basically the definitive indie handheld.

Way too many to list but Mario Odyssey is a great place to start. And don't sleep on Mario + Rabbids either, don't let the latter part put you off, it's a fantastic turn based strategy game. Fire Emblem Three Houses is apparently amazing too. 

Fire Emblem and Mario + Rabbids look so good. I'm not usually into strategy games as I find them hard and honestly, I don't have a lot of patience for those kind of games but I love the art styles in both of them so I'll definitely give it a shot. Mario + Rabbids was shy over £10 in Smyth's but it was a download code only and I would've preferred owning the physical copy of the game.

3 hours ago, Ashley said:

For what it's worth Just Dance 2021 is £30 in most places at the moment so it might be cheaper than 2020

It's a good price, actually. I saw 2020 for £20 on the eShop, which was why I intitally thought of it...also Everybody (Backstreet's Back) is on it and my friend owns that version of the game. However, I was thinking of getting 2021 and then getting Just Dance Unlimited...I have until 31st December to decide as that's when the sale for it ends, lmao.

3 hours ago, markderoos said:

And of course congrats on getting a Switch, hope you enjoy it as much as I do! :)

Other (mostly obvious) recommendations are:

Smash Ultimate

Mario Kart 8 DX

BOTW

Mario Odyssey 

Some top of mind personal eshop favourites (especially when they’re on sale):

Wargroove

Gorogoa

Horace

I would've got Ring Fit Adventure as it looks amazing BUT it's £70 and right now, due to me buying the Switch and a few things for it, I'm on quite a budget so that will have to take a back seat, unfortunately. Smash is definitely one of my top to-get games as well as Zelda, Mario Kart and Oddysey. Oddysey looks stunning. I was watching some gameplay of it and it looks epic so I can't wait to play it. I'll also check the other three out as well that are on the eShop sale.

2 hours ago, WackerJr said:

Congratulations! I agree with those that mentioned the Wii U ports if you haven’t already played the Wii U versions.

For the non-1st party games, with so many games in your list, Nintendo regularly hold eShop sales. So if you’re not in a rush to play specific titles then it may be worth waiting for them to get discounted through one of those sales.

Do you have easy access to local co-op in your household? There are a few good games for that without the need to buy an additional controller.

Saying that, I recommend a Pro Controller. They’re still a little pricey, but for me it’s been so much nicer to use when playing on the TV.

Unfortunately, I'm the only gamer in my house so my multiplayer games are online. I was thinking about getting the Pro controller. There's a 3rd party one in Asda for sale at £12.50 but I wasn't sure if it would be good enough. It just seemed way too cheap considering everywhere else was asking for more.

2 hours ago, Ashley said:

Oh and speaking of, you may want to check out Fitness Boxing. The sequel is recently out and there's a demo on the eshop. 

Yes! I definitely want those too! I forgot to add them to the list. I loved the one on the Wii so this is pretty awesome! Fitness Boxing 2 looks really good. 

44 minutes ago, Hero-of-Time said:

As others have said, if you missed out on the Wii U then I definitely recommend Captain Toad, Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze, Pikmin 3, New Super Mario Bros U Deluxe and Mario Kart 8 Deluxe. 

In terms of Switch exclusives, Luigi's Mansion 3, Mario & Rabbids, Fire Emblem: Three Houses and Pokemon Lets Go Eevee/Pikachu are all must have games. 

Out of all those I have mentioned, IMO the top 3 to pick up would be Donkey Kong, Luigi's Mansion and Captain Toad.

Ah, Pikmin 3 and New Super Mario Bros U Deluxe are ones too!

Oh, guys, what do you think of Super Mario Maker 2, Tetris 99 and Super Mario Bros 35. Are they worth buying? 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, darksnowman said:

Since you mention FF X and X-2, you might want to look into Dragon Quest XI. Luigi's Mansion 3 and Mario & Rabbids are also great, as mentioned already, and you could always check out Link's Awakening if you fancy a charming and concise Zelda game.

Dragon Quest XI does look cool. I've never actually played it before.

I didn’t see anyone mention Breath of the Wild, if you like previous Zelda games then this is a must buy, even if you don’t this is still regarded as one of the best on Switch. 
Other than that I agree with everything that had been said. We hold Mario Kart and Smash evening every Thursday here on N-E so you should join in those if you get them. 

Getting the online subscription will also allow you access to the NES and SNES online VC. So worth the price of that. 

• Like 2

@Beast Mario 35 and Tetris 99 are free with the online subscription.  You've bought 3 months so you will be able to try them out for yourself.

• Like 1

I heartily recommend Hades and The Binding of Isaac Afterbirth+. Switch is a great indie machine.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Beast said:

I'm definitely going to get Hades at some point as it looks awesome.

BlandConstantKite-size_restricted.gif

1 hour ago, Beast said:

Astral Chain reminds me a little bit of NieR Automata and that was why I was intrigued. Also, it came recommended by my friend's brother, who has gone crazy over it. 

NieR Automata  is the better game in literally every category. Astral Chain is an unfocussed mess, but what do I know. @Glen-i thinks I have no taste so...go for it, if it looks enjoyable to you :p

Gotta agree with @Sheikah, if you're into rogue-lites you can spend a lot of money on games...

4 minutes ago, drahkon said:

BlandConstantKite-size_restricted.gif

NieR Automata  is the better game in literally every category. Astral Chain is an unfocussed mess, but what do I know. @Glen-i thinks I have no taste so...go for it, if it looks enjoyable to you :p

Actually... I know this sounds mad, but I kinda agree with you. I got bored with Astral Chain quite quickly. It's too finicky for my liking.

You still have no taste though.

Edited by Glen-i
  • Haha 2

11 minutes ago, Glen-i said:

I kinda agree with you

8e24c608badf915c88bb77268f9bb2bf.gif

11 minutes ago, Glen-i said:

You still have no taste though.

giphy.gif

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Beast said:

Unfortunately, I'm the only gamer in my house so my multiplayer games are online. I was thinking about getting the Pro controller. There's a 3rd party one in Asda for sale at £12.50 but I wasn't sure if it would be good enough. It just seemed way too cheap considering everywhere else was asking for more.

Since you want us to tell you everything, then I'd advise you to start researching controllers and putting money aside for one because you're on the countdown to your Joy-Con joystick drifting. 

1 hour ago, drahkon said:

Gotta agree with @Sheikah, if you're into rogue-lites you can spend a lot of money on games...

And if you like roguelikes, Shiren the Wanderer recently came out on the eShop. :)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

And if you like roguelikes, Shiren the Wanderer recently came out on the eShop.
Nintendo will fix drift for you, at least they did for me.

I definitely recommend a pro controller though, the joycons are, frankly, inadequate for extended periods of play.

And if you like roguelikes, Shiren the Wanderer recently came out on the eShop.
Oh, I know about the stick drift. People in my shop bring them in to repair so I'll get discount anyway.

I guess people already brought up most of the essentials, so I'll just say, do keep an eye out for Indies, as well as remasters/re-releases (if you are looking for more Final Fantasies, Switch's also got VII, VIII, IX, XII). And of course, Demos are nice for finding out new stuff to add to the wishlist.

As for a specific recommendations... here's one: Yoku's Island Express is a great indie, being both very unique (it's a pinball platformer, and I guarantee that makes more sense than it sounds), and a very soothing game in general.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Jonnas said:

I guess people already brought up most of the essentials, so I'll just say, do keep an eye out for Indies, as well as remasters/re-releases (if you are looking for more Final Fantasies, Switch's also got VII, VIII, IX, XII). And of course, Demos are nice for finding out new stuff to add to the wishlist.

As for a specific recommendations... here's one: Yoku's Island Express is a great indie, being both very unique (it's a pinball platformer, and I guarantee that makes more sense than it sounds), and a very soothing game in general.

I definitely want to get all of the Final Fantasies and the Resident Evils as well. I saw a game called Horace and that looks really interesting...same with the Escapists. I really need to start writing a list...the strangest thing is that I own an Xbox One and a PS4 and the Switch has me wanting more games than ever. I haven't been this excited to try stuff out in ages. I think I'll definitely try and get a controller although someone told me a USB controller should work on it. I have a PS3 controller that's wired...could that work?

4 hours ago, Beast said:

I definitely want to get all of the Final Fantasies and the Resident Evils as well. I saw a game called Horace and that looks really interesting...same with the Escapists. I really need to start writing a list...the strangest thing is that I own an Xbox One and a PS4 and the Switch has me wanting more games than ever. I haven't been this excited to try stuff out in ages. I think I'll definitely try and get a controller although someone told me a USB controller should work on it. I have a PS3 controller that's wired...could that work?

Not without a 3rd party adapter, like the 8bitdo or Mayflash one.