NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
Ashley

Shigeru Miyamoto Wants to Create a Kinder World

I know the temptation would be to pop this in some generic thread (probably the Switch one) but I thought it might be nice to have a whole topic about this Miyamoto interview The New Yorker has done:

Shigeru Miyamoto Wants to Create a Kinder World

I've not read it myself yet but seen good things about it on Twitter as it covers things generally rather than being focused on any one game.

Having a quick flick through and he touches on topics such as the problem-solving nature of interactive media:

The interesting thing about interactive media is that it allows the players to engage with a problem, conjure a solution, try out that solution, and then experience the results. Then they can go back to the thinking stage and start to plan out their next move. This process of trial and error builds the interactive world in their minds. This is the true canvas on which we design—not the screen. That’s something I always keep in mind when designing games.

How he'd change the world if he could:

I wish we were all a little more compassionate in these small ways. If there was a way to design the world that discouraged selfishness, that would be a change I would make.

What his plans/hopes are for the rest of his time at Nintendo:

This mixing of our experience with new contexts might be one of the most interesting endeavors for my remaining years.

And finally it seems that Miyamoto is an awful colleague:

To that end, I sometimes send e-mails over the weekend, which people don’t appreciate.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

My German ass read "Kinder" as in the German word for "children" and imagined Miyamoto wanting to build his own Neverland Ranch.

tenor.gif

• Haha 2

The title made me think of a Kinder-Egg Theme Park. Diabetes up the wazoo? Finding toys like they were Moons in Odyssey? There'd be some potential.

• Haha 3

18 minutes ago, Jonnas said:

The title made me think of a Kinder-Egg Theme Park. Diabetes up the wazoo? Finding toys like they were Moons in Odyssey? There'd be some potential.

This is exactly where my mind went first too!

So this is what became of Pikmin 4... :p

1 hour ago, drahkon said:

My German ass read "Kinder" as in the German word for "children" and imagined Miyamoto wanting to build his own Neverland Ranch.

tenor.gif

In British, "Kinder" means "lovely chocolate"

22 minutes ago, Cube said:

In British, "Kinder" means "lovely chocolate"

So the full name is "lovely chocolate okay"?

But i love those Kinder bars, I used to buy the eggs but I feel wierd buying them in my 30's now so I just opt for the little bars. They still taste the same.

Coincidentally I had a Kinder Egg last weekend. First one in ages.

Anyway, thread title should be changed to "N-E chocolate talk"

Edited by drahkon
  • Like 1

17 hours ago, drahkon said:

tenor.gif

I did that as well.... Perhaps because the K is capitalised? 

Anyways. Hard to disagree with Miyamoto - a world where people are kind would be vastly different and - I imagine - a better place.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Ashley said:

Me: tries to start conversation

Everyone else: 

raw

But you did start a conversation... About Chocolate.

So he does a Direct for Super Nintendo World but Kinder World just gets a casual mention in this interview??

Super Mario Surprise Eggs: Unboxing Luigi Bowser Yoshi ...

• Haha 2

Stupid jokes aside, that was actually a really good interview.

Looks like Miyamoto is largely going to be focused on Nintendo’s expansion into media outside of video games going forward for the remainder of his career.

2 minutes ago, Dcubed said:

Looks like Miyamoto is largely going to be focused on Nintendo’s expansion into media outside of video games going forward for the remainder of his career.

Yeah, totally agree, and think this makes the most sense.

He's the most recognisable face and name at Nintendo (think that goes without saying), and for investors and the board, I would have to imagine he's the guy with the most clout on the international stage, so he's the guy they'd be pointing at to give such presentations outside of their usual sphere. 

Think it was a similar justification for why he was a pretty big part of the promotion for Super Mario Run (and Switch) with his appearance on The Tonight Show, and I wouldn't be at all surprised if he played a role in the promotion of the films currently in the works too. 

• Thanks 1

Sign in to follow this