NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
CrowingJoe79

Resident Evil 4 feels dated now...

Agree or not. It doesn't really matter...

So, yes. I played the HD version earlier tonight, on my PS4. The controls are really annoying, as is the camera. The gameplay in general feels outdated, because you cannot run and shoot concurrently like you can in most modern action-horror titles. So I ended up dying just before I got to the house with Luis, because the controls are so bad, and these villagers were chucking dynamite at me. I was also playing the game on the easiest difficulty setting, but there's no subtitles option.  

I've played the PS2 version countless times, although before tonight, I had not done so for what has probably been years. That version from late 2005 is graphically worse than the original GameCube version that came out in early 2005, but otherwise, I think the controls were way more comfortable. Colours look washed out and ugly. It's just that RE4 on the GameCube did not come with Separate Ways, which is basically a shorter version of RE4 with you controlling Ada Wong.  

As an early horror-shooter effort, it's a good enough game. I've never really liked the story all that much, though. In fact, I think RE4 is pretty stupid in that regard. It feels like a science fiction game where you just shoot the same infected people for what feels like hours upon hours. And yes, other RE games had some truly bizarre villains, but RE4 is like a million light years removed from RE0 to CVX in terms of the presentation, the gameplay, the enemies you encounter, and all that good stuff.

Is it a bad game? Um, it's hard to say it is terrible, per se, because it's not a bad game in itself. It's just NOT a good horror game, I suppose you could argue across to others. And there's no Umbrella stuff at all or zombies, so it hardly feels like a real sequel, save for having Leon as the main character. Although in my opinion, Leon in RE4 feels nothing like his RE2 counterpart at all, having been blessed with a different attitude and he's also missing his ginger hair. 

RE4 is also the reason why RE in general went and ended up being so dumbed down in the scares department for years, as every subsequent game basically had very similar gameplay and garbage ass plot aspects that went nowhere any day soon. Yet the remake of RE2 to me feels so much more clunky, despite the fact it's supposed to be a remake. It's not, though. It's a retelling. Especially since enemies absorb so many bullets, the gameplay is not "fun" anymore. 

RE4 has too many enemies too...

Like when Leon is confronted by Jack Krauser, Capcom acted as if everybody was meant to know who the hell he was. He just shows up. They are in a game together called The Darkside Chronicles, which is set in 2002, but it was released on the Wii back in 2009. RE4 is set in either 2004 or 2005. But that other game I mentioned, is an on-rails shooter with co-op. So it's even less of a horror game than RE4 is. Ya dig?  

Are you following all of this so far? :) 

Anyway... I want to know your thoughts on RE4 as a RE game. Did it frighten you silly back in the day, or did you just like the hardcore gun action and silliness it boasts of having?

Also...

WHAT ARE YA SELLING!? ;) 

I messed up a few things when I posted this.

Edited by CrowingJoe79

Resident Evil 4 Wii Edition is one of only two Resi Evil games that I actually like. The Wii controls are exceptional and that's unfortunately the reason there is no "definitive" version of the game.

It just needs good gyro aiming implemented in an HD version and I can finally say that there's not much point in the Wii one. But until then, the Wii version remains king.

• Like 3

22 hours ago, Glen-i said:

Resident Evil 4 Wii Edition is one of only two Resi Evil games that I actually like..

You can't leave it like this! What's the other one..? :heh:

31 minutes ago, nekunando said:

You can't leave it like this! What's the other one..? :heh:

Revelations. Again, Gyro controls are a big aspect of why I can enjoy it. It's more survival horror than 4, so it's 2nd place on my very small list. (I get slightly stressed if a game gets too atmospherically creepy) But Revelations provides me with the opportunity to turn the tables on enemies with gyro aiming and the dodging mechanic, so I don't feel as helpless as with most other Resi Evils. Atmosphere is proper great though and the soundtrack is spectacular.

Raid Mode is the biggest plus in it's favour though. That mode is great fun. I love a good co-op mode and playing through those arcade style levels with @Dcubed was one of the highlights of my time with the 3DS. I remember my character of choice being Jessica because she excelled in the kind of weapons I liked, but mostly because she constantly spouted cheesy innuendos. Dcubed would normally opt for Parker who excelled in weapons that covered the ones I didn't and mostly because utilising shout-outs, we sometimes were able to ruin Jessica's start of level quote.

*Level starts*

Jessica: "You're getting me a big dinner after this"

*Dcubed presses the button used to thank the other player*

Parker: "I'm buying you lunch"

So yeah, Revelations is great. I could say that I really like Mercenaries 3D as well, but that's a spin-off. (Rebecca and her broken shove of death is always hilarious, especially if you equip the skill that makes a lightning bolt strike any enemy you knock down)

Edited by Glen-i
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Why do so many people love the RE2 remake so much, while they hate on RE3? To myself, I see no real difference in these games in terms of their quality and whatnot. :confused:

Check out my RE related podcast. :hehe:

https://youtu.be/B5QTByZu3Ps

Edited by CrowingJoe79

RE4 is a dang fun action game, with lite horror elements. Between the multiple ways to kill zombies, interact with the environment, and the fact that zombies could also do that, means the game was very immersive and a joy to play. I played a bit of the PS2 version, which was fine, but it wasn't until the Wii version that I loved it.

Honestly, it does so many things right, and strikes just the right balance in terms of set pieces, cinematics, and self-aware cheesy storytelling, that I still prefer it to many modern action games.

11 hours ago, Glen-i said:

Revelations. Again, Gyro controls are a big aspect of why I can enjoy it.

Wait, the 3DS has gyro controls? I tried the demo and didn't like the button controls.

1 hour ago, Jonnas said:

RE4 is a dang fun action game, with lite horror elements. Between the multiple ways to kill zombies, interact with the environment, and the fact that zombies could also do that, means the game was very immersive and a joy to play. I played a bit of the PS2 version, which was fine, but it wasn't until the Wii version that I loved it.

Honestly, it does so many things right, and strikes just the right balance in terms of set pieces, cinematics, and self-aware cheesy storytelling, that I still prefer it to many modern action games.

Wait, the 3DS has gyro controls? I tried the demo and didn't like the button controls.

It does indeed! As does both the Wii U and the Switch versions.

Ironically, every single RE port on Switch supports gyro controls for aiming... except for RE4...

tenor.gif

Edited by Dcubed
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, Jonnas said:

The buttons all do the same thing, it's just that turning Gyro Aiming on has that handle the aiming while the Circle Pad is used for moving Jill when in the aiming view. Much better than the default controls and it was clear that Revelations control scheme was designed with gyro in mind, due to the lack of a second analogue stick.

• Thanks 2

The enemies in RE4 aren't zombies. They are peasants, who were infected with some parasite referred to as Las Plagas. Saddler controls them as his cult. ;)

On 12/5/2020 at 1:44 AM, Glen-i said:

Resident Evil 4 Wii Edition is one of only two Resi Evil games that I actually like. The Wii controls are exceptional and that's unfortunately the reason there is no "definitive" version of the game.

It just needs good gyro aiming implemented in an HD version and I can finally say that there's not much point in the Wii one. But until then, the Wii version remains king.

When the Wii version came out the games producer Masachika Kawata said that the Wii version was the definitive edition.

Resident Evil 4 Ships for Fourth Time - IGN

• Like 1

The problem with the Wii version though is that the gameplay is not adjusted to compensate for the much easier control method. Motion controls make the game very trivial even on professional difficulty. The target range in particular becomes a joke.

RE4 is a masterpiece. In terms of pacing I honestly can't think of many games that do it better. The movement is restrictive in a way horror games are allowed to be, as putting in a strafing system like a true FPS would make you overpowered in a game where the scare factors comes from being boxed in by the enemy. The horror here doesn't come from jump scares like in 1,2 or 3 but by being overwhelmed. This is demonstrated right at the beginning of the game, and is brilliant for it. I'm going to stop here but I could go for hours about how good this game is.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

RE4 is great, but the port on the PS4 is just lazy. The graphics look swell, but Capcom did the bare minimum in terms of successfully adding in the same controls. Honestly, it's quite annoying. Plus, like I said, you cannot use subtitles. Me personally, I always put the subtitles on when I watch a movie, provided that option is there. It just makes for better viewing. The same with gaming. That way, you never miss a word, or mishear something. You know? I'd love to know why Capcom left that out. Some gamers are hard of hearing, after all. Stupid C-U-N-T-S! 

But in terms of RE4 being remade, that's just pointless. RE4 is basically the reason all of these other third person horror type games even exist. RE4 jump started all of that jazz. So remaking it is just kind of on the silly side. Not to mention, RE4 doesn't even come after the events of RE3 anyway. It's supposed to be CVX, which was originally just CV on the Dreamcast in the year 2000. Because that's the story where Claire Redfield headed out to look for her brother, Chris, and got herself imprisoned with Steve Burnside on Rockfort Island, with that crazy idiot, Alfred Ashford, at the helm. Then you later ended up having your escape plane landing badly in Antarctica with Alexia, his sister, waiting for you. Also, CVX in general is very spooky with a lot of creepy environments, so a remake, if done right, would be gloriously gorgeous on the PS5 and Xbox Series X, as well as gaining a PC release... 

Do you remember that eerie piano music in the palace, and the save room theme that CVX has? It's so relaxing, in a deceptive way. Once you leave that safety spot, it's a whole world of terror yet again. So Capcom would be dumb not to remake it... yet AGAIN! The Darkside Chronicles came first, after all.

If you don't know, that was an enjoyable, yet low level story based shooting game that retold the events of CVX in a somewhat, rather inaccurate manner. But yes. CVX deserves a remake, that has passion poured into it. The RE3 remake and even the remake of 2 to an extent, felt like cash-grab titles that were devoid of what made the original RE2 and 3 so great...

Personally, I think RE4 will be another cookie cutter, soulless, cash grab product. Capcom isn't stupid, but maybe some of the fanboys indeed are. They know that RE4 is such a classic, so naturally, a lot of people will be excited for a remake with these stylish, modern day, PS5 graphics. The thing is, going by their track record of messing up this, that and the third, I don't see it being all that great. Maybe they can redeem themselves somehow, if they take their time and don't screw it up, but I'm just extremely sceptical that they're in this for the money. And don't say that's all companies care about. It's not exactly a true thing to say.

If you look at Naughty Dog, they wouldn't settle for publishing garbage The Last of Us spin off games, like how Umbrella Corps is an ultra bad spin off for Resident Evil. You can always count on Naughty Dog for to deliver a quality game. Capcom unfortunately, usually proves to be what I'd refer to as being a mixed bag. Some candy is sweet. Others is so sour and awful, you'll spit that shite out of your gob almost immediately.

This "thug" here was spot on. If they really do develop a remake of RE4, they will probably cut corners and axe a whole ton of boss fights, among other things. RE4 has a lot of bosses too, and it's a long and epic game, with a lot of action. Like, there's the creepy dwarf, pirate guy, his two henchmen things, the ogre like things that swing trees and stomp on you, the village chief, a couple of cameos by Hewie the white dog from Haunting Ground, Krauser, and Saddler, and Ada Wong and Albert Wesker shows up too. And so much more I did not mention. You know?

Can you really see Capcom putting in all of these enemies, areas and even the beloved merchant? They would have to at least add in Saddler and so forth, for a coherent plot to form out. For if they don't care about doing so, well... WHY BOTHER TO REMAKE RE4 THEN? 

• Thanks 1

20 hours ago, Sheikah said:

The problem with the Wii version though is that the gameplay is not adjusted to compensate for the much easier control method. Motion controls make the game very trivial even on professional difficulty. The target range in particular becomes a joke.

That's subjective, I've never completed Professional. I get completely stuck at the Castle.

Let me know WHY you think Capcom should remake RE4. Thanks. :) 

Personally, I think remakes are the last major cash-grab that Capcom has left. Once they cannot remake any more of the *GOOD* RE games, what are they gonna do next to get that income flowing in? Will they, um, decide that it's time to remake the remakes?

Oh, wait. They have been hinting about remaking the first RE game again, as a third person shooter. Think of RE (1) on the PS5 or whatever, but it's like the RE2 or 3 remake. Oh, God.

Don't go giving them any ideas, you guys. That will absolutely suck, for certain. I'm sure of it. But knowing Capcom, I would not be surprised if that gets the go-ahead someday soon. :( 

Edited by CrowingJoe79

That's subjective, I've never completed Professional. I get completely stuck at the Castle.

It still makes the game much easier and the gameplay wasn't designed around this particular control scheme.

12 hours ago, CrowingJoe79 said:

Let me know WHY you think Capcom should remake RE4. Thanks. :) 

Personally, I think remakes are the last major cash-grab that Capcom has left. Once they cannot remake any more of the *GOOD* RE games, what are they gonna do next to get that income flowing in? Will they, um, decide that it's time to remake the remakes?

Oh, wait. They have been hinting about remaking the first RE game again, as a third person shooter. Think of RE (1) on the PS5 or whatever, but it's like the RE2 or 3 remake. Oh, God.

Don't go giving them any ideas, you guys. That will absolutely suck, for certain. I'm sure of it. But knowing Capcom, I would not be surprised if that gets the go-ahead someday soon. :( 

They shouldn’t.  Any attempt at an RE4 remake in the vein of RE2 Remake will be a complete disaster.

It’s absolutely impossible for them to make a game of the same scope as RE4 with modern HD graphics.  They will have to gut about 70-80% of the content if they even hope to ship it some time this decade.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

That's precisely my point. :(

Capcom is just "remaking" RE4 and no doubt other titles along the way, for the mega bucks. They know these troglodyte fake fans will eat the slop up, day one. Quality need not apply here, I guess.

Me personally, I did a live stream of The Ghost Survivors just before the preshow for the Game Awards tonight. That is not a fun game. Whether it's the extra modes or the primary campaign, it's just an awful game. It's like walking around with thumbtacks in your boots. Every damn zombie takes 20 bullets to kill. You cannot really run past them either, as their reach is incredible. 

The old Capcom we knew, is sadly dead now...

Back in the day, I was a loyal GameCube owner and this game kept coming up in gaming magazines as an exclusive, only for the game to come out on the PS2 a bit later on with extra's added. It's been ported to numerous platforms since and given an HD polish so I think there is enough of an audience to see this game remade. Capcom showed with Resident Evil on the GameCube that they could take the core of the PS1 game and turn it into an improvement on the original. There is a lot of love for RE4 but for me the RE remake on the cube remains my favourite. Capcom did a decent job with the RE2 remake only to mess things up a bit with the RE3 remake from what I've seen.

It will be interesting however to see how Resident Evil Village shapes up as I guess they will take that core engine and build RE4 around it. The original RE4 packed quite a bit into the game in terms of game-play length and extras. How this translates into a future version is anyone's guess.

• Thanks 1

RE4 as a whole...

Shoot infected people. :bouncy:

Shoot even more infected people.

Loot coins, bullets, and stuff. 

Shoot creatures.

QTE.

Cheesy dialogue.

QTE.

Oh, darn. You were supposed to hit R1 and L1, you moron. :cry:

What are ya buying!?

What are ya selling!? 

Ha! Ha! Thank you.

Shoot more fantasy type enemies. 

Dodge lasers, from the first RE movie. :eek:

QTE.

QTE. 

QTE. 

Don't tell me ya missed again! 

Run away from a 1674ft pirate robot. :grin:

Rinse and repeat. 

BUT... I still think it's a fun game, at least. It's just very, very silly. It's like a Hollywood movie where everything zany occurs in the one epic game. :hehe:

Maybe you can allow editing on here, without the, 'last edited at X time' summary appearing each time I have to make a minor edit in a post. :bowdown:

Edited by CrowingJoe79
Just, because...

Sign in to follow this