NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
Cube

Advice for new TV

It's been 10 years since I got my plasma TV. It's on the verge of dying so I could do with a new one. I imagine TVs may have changed slightly.

I'm looking at a budget of around £400. Ideally good for gaming. 

I'm not bothered about 4K but it seems 1080p ones are quite rare so may as well. We would like a known brand (had really bad experiences with cheap phones). Current TV is 42" but we are looking at 50" (with the bezels, it would be smaller than our current one). 

Ideally more than one HDMI. And old connection would be a good thing but I'm sure you can buy a converter instead.

I've seen a Toshiba one but the only review isn't great. There are also some they say 50 Hz which surely must be referring to something different to the old 50/60 PAL/NTSC thing.

If anyone has any suggestions I'd be very happy!

@Cube if you're willing to spend an extra 100 quid you can get a very nice 60 inch one at Argos, that's well reviewed. I have an OLED TV from LG and i can tell you their interface OS is really nice, especially when selecting apps like Netflix.

Edited by Sheikah
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, Sheikah said:

@Cube if you're willing to spend an extra 100 quid you can get a very nice 60 inch one at Argos, that's well reviewed. I have an OLED TV from LG and i can tell you their interface OS is really nice, especially when selecting apps like Netflix.

Thanks, unfortunately for that size we'd also need a new TV stand. 

The smart features aren't that important for us, a PC will be connected to it.

27 minutes ago, Cube said:

Thanks, unfortunately for that size we'd also need a new TV stand. 

The smart features aren't that important for us, a PC will be connected to it.

How about this one for 379 quid. 50 inch.

Also an LG, with 10 ms input lag in game mode (incredibly good). It's that price at a lot of places but I picked Richer Sounds for the link since they're really good and have a 6-year warranty.

I've been reading around as I'm also considering a 4k upgrade in the future. To be honest unless you're a real cinephile even the budget brands like Toshiba & Hisense are pretty decent TVs these days, especially if all you want is a good size and plenty of HDMI ports. I'll suggest this one if 55'' isn't too big for your space. 

I'm waiting until after new year's and seeing what's knocking around used or on clearance.

I will also mention for anyone who might need to know, I've learned that if you want to make maximum use of the new consoles you'll want a TV with a HDMI 2.1 input specifically. Only some high end TVs include it at the moment though (for 4k120, HDMI 2.0 only does 4k60). 

40 minutes ago, Sheikah said:

How about this one for 379 quid. 50 inch.

Also an LG, with 10 ms input lag in game mode (incredibly good). It's that price at a lot of places but I picked Richer Sounds for the link since they're really good and have a 6-year warranty.

That one seems ideal. Being good at upscaling is a big bonus. I didn't realise Richer Sounds had a free linger guarantee, so that's pretty awesome. Also has come legacy connections.

Thanks! I think that's the one.

• Like 2

That one seems ideal. Being good at upscaling is a big bonus. I didn't realise Richer Sounds had a free linger guarantee, so that's pretty awesome. Also has come legacy connections.

Thanks! I think that's the one.
Good to hear! Don't forget 2% topcashback.

I'm in the market for a new TV, primarily to pair with the PS5 I have pre-ordered but also to upgrade my home cinema experience in general.

I've had the same Panasonic plasma for the past 8 years now and I love it to bits, but it's 'only' 1080p and 42" and would love that 4K HDR experience, as well as a bigger screen size. It's a real shame they don't do plasmas anymore since the picture quality is fantastic and way better than LED/LCD. OLED feels like the next best thing although it makes me sad how expensive they are compared to what I paid for my plasma.

The TVs I'm eying up are the LG OLEDs, specifically the CX. It's an expensive purchase but with HDMI 2.1 it should hopefully be a good investment. I've been trying to keep track of the prices with the hopes that I'll get a good deal around Black Friday.

That LG one looks decent. I bought a Samsung one (43 inches) for around that price in January that I have been more than happy with. I don't think you can go too far wrong with one of the big brands. 

Would definitely recommend ordering from Richer Sounds or John Lewis for the extended warranty. 

Sign in to follow this