NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
Julius

New Mass Effect Officially in Development (Veteran Team at BioWare)

First teaser image for the game:

mud-skipper-1024x515.jpg

From the BioWare blog:

Meanwhile here at BioWare, a veteran team has been hard at work envisioning the next chapter of the Mass Effect universe. We are in early stages on the project and can’t say any more just yet, but we’re looking forward to sharing our vision for where we’ll be going next.

Original post:

GameSpot jumped the gun. Oh dear. 

EmOzArOWEAgi6VV?format=jpg&name=medium

Imagine we'll get further clarification shortly. 

Edited by Julius

Teaser trailer from The Game Awards:

Don't know why they didn't just wait for this to announce the new game instead of doing so before, but oh well ::shrug:

Hmm. CGI trailers in themselves do nothing for me, but it offers room to speculate. Good to see 

Spoiler

Liara's back,

and it seems to be a direct continuation of the original trilogy. Which makes me wonder what direction they'll go in. On the one hand, while the ending of 3 was shit.. it did feel like a conclusion, and I'm not sure if I want to continue directly from this situation. Or at least, probably not with familiar characters. On the other hand, I do kind of want to experience the direct aftermath, it should be a weird place. Weren't the relays destroyed? But yeah, what's the overall plot going to involve? They need to come up with something good if it needs to make sense in this timeline.

Edit:

Plus there's of course thepotential to improve upon, or even retcon, the original ending.

Edited by Sméagol

Looks interesting. As you say @Sméagol, the relays were destroyed by the chain reaction blast. You can see one in the trailer at 0:42 surrounded by debris. I'm excited to get back into the universe, but only if the story is good. I enjoyed the third game a lot, and even enjoyed the endings, especially after digging good into the indoctrination theory. But this trailer might debunk that theory all together, as it suggested that the entire ending at the Citadel happened in Shepards head. If this story continues after the ending, the mass relays are in pieces, and people are scattered all over the galaxy, then it strongly suggest the ending actually happened :p

I'm excited for this but almost not at the same time. Bioware of today is very different from the team that created the original trilogy over a decade ago now. And with 2 of the top people leaving in the last couple of weeks (though Casey Hudson going can only mean good things from a narrative perspective as he was partly responsible for the move away from the original narrative underpinnings of Mass Effect with regards to dark energy) and two failed titles at their feet with Anthem and Mass Effect Andromeda (though I did enjoy Andromeda and do hope we'll go back there at some point), its hard to have faith that this will turn out well.

I so want to believe though. The original trilogy are three of my all time favourite games and that remaster can't come soon enough next year. Going back to the Milky Way and having it be based around the aftermath of the battle with the Reapers, having a clear definitive ending for that trilogy (with it clearly being the Destroy ending) and potentially be about the reconstruction of the Mass Relays and Liara trying to find Shepard of he's alive (the secret ending you got if you had full preparedness going into the Citadel battle would suggest he may well be) has potential to be interesting but I can't see it all coming together even with pulling in Bioware/Mass Effect veterans.

I'm cautiously hopeful I'll turn out to be a worthwhile followup to the original trilogy but I won't get my hopes up. As mentioned above, Bioware haven't been on the best form with their games and in the case of Andromeda, simply dropped support when it hadn't sold well leaving a slightly better product than what was there at launch but is still buggy now.

Hearing that music rise towards the end of the trailer, seeing Liara with that bit of Shepard's helmet and then seeing the title screen with that take on a staple sound bite from the series did get me excited though.

• Like 1

New teaser poster:

Sets reminder for 1st January 2024

Edited by Julius
  • Like 1

I wonder if that's supposed to look like a Geth or if it's just coincidence.

19 minutes ago, Goafer said:

I wonder if that's supposed to look like a Geth or if it's just coincidence.

Almost certainly supposed to, it would be one hell of a coincidence if that just accidentally looked like a Geth.

Sign in to follow this