NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
Julius

Mass Effect Legendary Edition (14th May 2021)

5 minutes ago, ArtMediocre said:

Couldn't agree more. They've had a lot of inspiration from various sci-fi universes, but in the end they've created something unique and solid. Also, if you haven't read the books by Drew Karpyshyn, you have a lot more Mass Effect goodness coming your way. He writes so good, it's a shame he left the studio after the second game. 

Also, to be able to create such different creatures with so much history right off the bat is crazy. Just the whole history with the Geth and the Quarians is so deep and interesting, and that's just one of several histories. I love that each race has their own quirk too, like the Krogan and their history of war and so on. Great universe, and it made me love the games the minute I booted it up. Didn't hurt that the graphics at the time were insane. 

So much history, that gets really deep and it all makes sense! I think I'm enjoying the conversations with the crew and finding out about this world more than the actual gameplay itself! Combat is pretty rough in ME1, enemy AI is frustrating to say the least and those underground side mission bunkers are not fun. But yeah, love speaking with Tali in particular, and finding out more about the Quarians.

I'm playing through Mass Effect 1 and I can't unsee the fact that Tali's armour makes it look like she got dressed in the dark and is flashing a boob.

170px-Tali_in_Mass_Effect_1.png

Finished the first game and it was a wonderful experience. Absolutely love photo mode. I did encounter a few crashes and bugs, but for the vast majority it was all really smooth. Combat felt a lot more fun in this compared to the original. Also, bosses not spamming really annoying moves made me actually enjoy the encounters - one fight in the original had you constantly flopping on the floor with a really long animation while a later one constantly overloaded your weapons.

The lack of weapon limits on this also makes it not horrible to play as anything other than a soldier. You still can't rank up weapon skills for all weapons, but being able to actually aim with a sniper rifle makes it actually usable. Some limits were really bad in the original (like vanguard has shotgun and pistol only).

It's still the original game, just better to play and look at.

This edition made me appreciate the first game so much more.

Here are all my screenshots (some spoilers towards the end of it):

https://photos.app.goo.gl/ABLHDMEMmc1FnzFK6

I've started the second game and they've made the N7 hoodie (from the deluxe edition of Mass Effect 3) available as casual wear in it. I'm very happy with that.

• Like 2

Wow ME2 is a step up in pretty much every department isn't it. Almost feels like it released in the gen following ME1.

Only shame is the RPG stats elements seem toned down to a crazy amount.

Love the Paragon/Renegade interrupts during cutscenes. 

Also love the open ended structure. Obviously you had that in the previous game but to a much bigger degree here it feels like. 

Love wandering around the ship, looks great.

Edited by Ronnie
  • Like 1

Right then that’s Mass Effect 2 completed. Still absolutely amazing and one of my favourite games of all time.

Spoiler

Managed to save the crew and all of my team this time (I’ve had a habit in previous play throughs of losing Mordin).

• Like 1

Tali is fast becoming one of my favourite characters in any game. Just did her loyalty mission in ME:2, fantastic.

Just finished Mass Effect 3. Not as good as the first 2 games but I still really enjoy it. The citadel dlc in particular is a lot of fun.

Spoiler

During my first play through years ago I went with Synthesis. This time I made sure I got as much readiness as I could and destroyed all synthetic life, making sure I got the one ending where Shepard survives.

I wonder which ending they will count as canon for the next game.

Now I need to make the decision to either move onto Final Fantasy VII Remake Integrade or use my current hyped enthusiasm for Mass Effect and reattempt Mass Effect Andromeda.

9 minutes ago, Cube said:

Mass Effect Andromeda is a far better game than FFVIIR.

I’ve played both before. FFVIIR was my game of the year, Andromeda I got bored playing and never finished. 

1 hour ago, Cube said:

So much so that they cancelled the sequels and it almost killed the entire franchise.

I thought Andromeda was ok, even fun in places, but saying it's better than FF7R is just bizzarre to me.

• Like 3

You know what, fuck it. I’m already remembering why I didn’t like Andromeda playing through that first mission again. I’m not forcing myself to play a game I don’t like because I like the universe. FFVIIR it is.

Guys, guys. They're both not great games.

Started Mass Effect 3, that intro cutscene up until the title card is as brilliant as I remembered it. "Leaving Earth" is one of my favourite bits of modern gaming music.

I've kinda moved on to other things, really need to get back to Mass Effect 2. I'm still pretty early on in the game, just landed on Omega.

Playing through the trilogy makes it pretty clear to me that ME3 is the best of the bunch (even a third or so in). I genuinely don't understand how people can disagree. It takes the focused story with real consequence from ME1 and mixes it with the personal character-driven touch of ME2, and multiplies it all by 10. The ending might not have quite lived up to expectations, but the game is so much more than that.

Playing through the trilogy makes it pretty clear to me that ME3 is the best of the bunch (even a third or so in). I genuinely don't understand how people can disagree. It takes the focused story with real consequence from ME1 and mixes it with the personal character-driven touch of ME2, and multiplies it all by 10. The ending might not have quite lived up to expectations, but the game is so much more than that.

Because Mass Effect 2 is so good. That's basically why - no disrespect to Mass Effect 3. Mass Effect 3 also had a disappointing ending, whereas the ending to Mass Effect 2 is routinely cited as one of the best missions ever in a game.

28 minutes ago, Sheikah said:

Because Mass Effect 2 is so good. That's basically why - no disrespect to Mass Effect 3. Mass Effect 3 also had a disappointing ending, whereas the ending to Mass Effect 2 is routinely cited as one of the best missions ever in a game.

I adored ME2, but storyline wise it kind of felt like a bunch of side missions. Which is fine, middle chapters are often more character focused, but ME3 marries epic scope and great personal stories. Best of both worlds between 1 and 2 imo. The crew interactions and quality of the cutscenes are a huge step up too. Anyway, it's all down to taste. Amazing trilogy for sure.

Edited by Ronnie

Just played the Leviathan DLC, easily the best yet, far better than the (still excellent) Shadow Broker one. ME3 continues to be the best in the series for me, just better in every way than the previous two games.

3 hours ago, Ronnie said:

Just played the Leviathan DLC, easily the best yet, far better than the (still excellent) Shadow Broker one. ME3 continues to be the best in the series for me, just better in every way than the previous two games.

Just wait until you get to the Citadel DLC. Lots of people (including me) even recommend playing it after the main story (it essentially reloads to before the final mission) as it's the perfect way to say goodbye to the trilogy.

25 minutes ago, Cube said:

Just wait until you get to the Citadel DLC. Lots of people (including me) even recommend playing it after the main story (it essentially reloads to before the final mission) as it's the perfect way to say goodbye to the trilogy.

I've actually just started it an hour or two ago. It's loads of fun but VERY jarring to be playing it at this point in my story (just before the Cerberus HQ mission). I guess when it was originally released most people had already finished the game so it didn't matter too much.

Edited by Ronnie

I adored ME2, but storyline wise it kind of felt like a bunch of side missions. Which is fine, middle chapters are often more character focused, but ME3 marries epic scope and great personal stories. Best of both worlds between 1 and 2 imo. The crew interactions and quality of the cutscenes are a huge step up too. Anyway, it's all down to taste. Amazing trilogy for sure.
Not going to lie, you talking about it reminded me of how great the trilogy was, and I started reading up on some of the lore again to remind me of it. Long story short I went and bought the remaster!

Man, how good was this custcene in ME3:

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Sheikah said:

Man, how good was this custcene in ME3

It's probably my favourite cutscene in all of gaming. The 'Leaving Earth' track in particular is just beautiful.

I felt a bit down for a couple of days after finishing the trilogy, with it being over and all. :weep: A special set of games. Might play Andromeda again, hopefully ME4 isn't half a decade away, but it probably is.

• Like 1

Forgot to post but I bought the trilogy after seeing the discussion here and completed it recently. Without a doubt one of the finest game series there is. I'd forgotten a lot, probably because I played it all so long ago, but man. Seems crazy to me that nothing has really come close to this in terms of world building and story, and this was two generations ago. Such an amazing series.33d2d41eab80e47c97e02ed14c15fe2a.jpg

• Like 2

Sign in to follow this