NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
Julius

Mass Effect Legendary Edition (14th May 2021)

MassEffect-LE_Key-Art_16x9_RGB-1024x576.

Confirmation blog post. It's official!

More details from the BioWare blog, some of which weren't in the GameSpot article:

- coming Spring 2021

- XBO, PS4, PC releases with forward compatibility and enhancements for Series X and PS5

- remastered and optimised for 4K

Original post:

Well, looks like GameSpot was trigger happy. Their article just went up before any official announcement, but it's seemingly only a matter of time; imagine we'll see something on the next hour or two. 

2k0LHUX_d.webp?maxwidth=640&shape=thumb&

Whoops. 

-coming to PC and Consoles

-better resolution

-better Framerates

-better textures, shaders, character models, and effects

- includes Mass Effect Trilogy + all single player DLC and promotional items

Also looks like a new Mass Effect game is on the way. But I guess that will deserve its own thread! 

Edited by Julius
  • Like 2

I wasn't expecting a full remake of the first game (the rumours said that they would be ripping out awesome stuff like the Mako exploration anyway). However, I hope there are a few changes. The Conrad Verner glitch can now be fixed (in ME2, he always reacted as though Shepard threatened him in the first). It happened due to a bug in the first game. Most changes I'd like to see is how the DLC is integrated into the game, I don't want it to seem like it's just the original games loading extra content. Stuff like

ME1:

- Bring Down the Sky should be a main quest. It's a great bit of content and should be required to play before the later Citadel incident happens. Perhaps even make it happen immediately after the original required quests are done - because it doesn't make much sense for the quest to be sitting there when it's a situation that requires immediate attention. 

- Pinnacle Station will obviously remain a side quest. 

ME2

Mass Effect 2 is a bit of a tricky one because it is a bit more open in the order you do things. However, when you have all the bonus missions and DLC, there's just a mass amount of stuff available right away, and it's just obvious that it there's bonus stuff.

- Kasumi and Zaeed you can't really mess with, so it's more the smaller missions that would come about later. Perhaps meeting up with Ashley/Kaiden could trigger Shepard wanting to check out the crash site.

- The Firewalker pack I would delay until after the original "ending". Have the first mission as a requirement before starting Overlord. It's a bit odd as currently you can complete Overlord (using the Firewalker) and then "discover" it afterwards.

- Firewalker, Overlord and Shadow Broker can only be done after the original ending. I would even suggest not having the credits at the original ending. It's not really the end of ME2 any more, and .

- Once Overlord and Shadow Broker are done (the rest of the Firewalker stuff isn't that interesting), Arrival becomes available. The credits are at the end of this. 

- Perhaps all the random bits of armour and weapons could be dotted in chests, or rewards for various quests instead of just having a shipload at the start of the game.

ME3

The DLC in this is actually introduced quite nicely throughout the game, so nothing really needs to change.

• Like 2

Curious how much work they've put into this, Mass Effect 1 could really do with an overhaul. I wonder if they've switched from Unreal engine to Frostbite?

I’ve never played the Mass Effect games but heard great things (especially for No.2).  This sounds as though it could be the best way to play the series.

With the age of the first one, I do wonder if they’ll put more effort into updating it, as I can imagine others that have played it agreeing with @Mandalore that it needs an overhaul.

I wanted this for so long, ideally on the switch for portablity but even then i wanted it on PC or PS4 too, so i'm VERY happy. Yesterday was just a great day

From various sources it sounds like content will start coming out for this tomorrow

I can't wait. I stupidly played ME3 on Wii U without having played the first two because I didn't think I'd end up enjoying it much. Plus it was only £5 on Amazon. Great port though and I ended up falling in love. Been waiting ever since then for a remastered trilogy and now it's finally here.

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, Ronnie said:

From various sources it sounds like content will start coming out for this tomorrow

I can't wait. I stupidly played ME3 on Wii U without having played the first two because I didn't think I'd end up enjoying it much. Plus it was only £5 on Amazon. Great port though and I ended up falling in love. Been waiting ever since then for a remastered trilogy and now it's finally here.

Finally! Been waiting for an update on this, really curious to see when it ends up landing (it's a pretty quiet start to the year in terms of games, I'm kind of hoping it lands in March before things start picking up a bit) and if they plan any major changes for the first game in particular; a lot of the rumours seem to be pointing to that getting the biggest overhaul of the three. 

Never played these before and held off from getting them on PS3 hoping this was waiting in the wings, hope it's turned out well! 

• Like 1

New trailer: 

Looks pretty good to me, and damn, that music got me hyped. A bit odd we still don't have a release date, I hope we get one soon, because I'm really hoping this releases before things start picking up! 

Edited by Julius

6 minutes ago, Julius said:

New trailer: 

Looks pretty good to me, and damn, that music got me hyped. A bit odd we still don't have a release date, I hope we get one soon, because I'm really hoping this releases before things start picking up! 

14th May

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Happenstance said:

14th May

Just seen it in the description, weird that it wasn't in the trailer, but thanks for the heads-up! Seems like a pretty good date for it, look forward to digging in :D

From the Eurogamer article, it seems like more work has gone into it (especially ME1) than I expected. I actually didn't enjoy ME1 the first time I played it due to the weapon restrictions (I could only aim with the shotgun an pistol due to class I chose, only replayed it again closer to ME2 as a soldier).

I wonder if reduction in mini games means Tower of Hanoi is getting cut. It was kind of out of place and was a copy and paste of the same puzzle in Jade Empire and Knights of the Old Republic.

Edit: 

Been trying to decide which version to get first (as I’ll have to get both!). Was a toss up between 4k on PS5 and 21:9 on PC but I think I’ll get PS5 to play it first then PC down the line when it’s discounted.

Some of the comparison shots doing the rounds look fantastic. I could have maybe done with a bit less lens flare. I know its been used in the original games but that picture of Thane from the remasters is a bit excessive. Not that that'll hamper my enjoyment of the games, just thought we'd moved past the excessive use of it in games.

Very excited to jump in. I've held off of doing another playthrough of the trilogy since they announced the remaster, had hoped that it would land a bit earlier to be able to get to that playthrough but it releases the day before my birthday so that'll be my weekend sorted.

Yet to find a game series that's left as much of a mark as Mass Effect. Its probably my favourite RPG series. The world building is incredible, especially in the original, and I just love the characters so getting to see them all over again in a new coat of paint is something I can't wait for.

A shame that the multiplayer isn't there for 3 as I really enjoyed that mode myself. The mix of characters and classes you could unlock was great (getting to be the Volus god was fantastic). My favourite horde mode from last gen. I get why but I'd have liked to see it back. Curious how they'll handle the Galactic Readiness for 3 then. Hopefully just tie it to missions/side quests as it should have been in the first place.

But yeah, roll on May. Always room for another Mass Effect Trilogy playthrough in my life.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Ganepark32 said:

Curious how they'll handle the Galactic Readiness for 3 then. Hopefully just tie it to missions/side quests as it should have been in the first place.

There are the N7 missions which take place on the maps that were used for multiplayer, would make sense to tie those to Galactic Readiness.

They've said they're just rebalancing the galactic readiness stuff so it can be done through the single player. Apparenty it will be easier if you play all 3 games to get the proper ending but it will still be possible if you just played 3, it'd just require more work.

• Like 1

Someone at Bioware has only just discovered the bloom and especially lens flare effect. I know the latter was in the original games, but dear god those new screenshots look ridiculous, and cheap. But otherwise, all sounding good! Bit disappointed there aren't native new gen versions releasing though :blank:

I need to decide if I should do my paragon or renegade playthrough first. I think I'll switch up the Shepards. Typically Hale is paragon and Meer is renegade for me. So swapping that lets me hear both in a different way. 

Perhaps I'll do Meer Paragon, Hale Renegade and then later on do my "canon" Hale Paragon. 

One thing I find amusing is people saying Bioware are copying JJ for lens flare. JJ was probably inspired by Mass Effect's ridiculous use of lens flares. Pretty much all light sources have them in the original versions, the new screenshots just have new light sources on them.

On 07/11/2020 at 3:45 PM, Julius said:

MassEffect-LE_Key-Art_16x9_RGB-1024x576.

I'm still completely in love with this image. If there was an award for best promotional artwork, this would get my vote hands down.

• Like 1

I hear they're repositioning the camera in a particular cutscene to not focus so much on Miranda's butt. This is an outrage and i'm not buying the game because of it.

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1
  • Angry 1

10 hours ago, martinist said:

I hear they're repositioning the camera in a particular cutscene to not focus so much on Miranda's butt. This is an outrage and i'm not buying the game because of it.

WHAT?!

• Haha 2

37 minutes ago, ArtMediocre said:

WHAT?!

The camera will now be inside of her butt, facing outwards.

• Haha 1
  • Weird 1

8 minutes ago, Happenstance said:

The camera will now be inside of her butt, facing outwards.

Perfect! Haha :p But(t) in all seriousness, I am really looking forward to going back into the Mass Effect Universe and playing through the games again. It's one of my all time favorites, and seeing it in good graphics (as I remember in my head) will be great. And I'm glad they're fixing the dreaded mako and other issues.

11 hours ago, martinist said:

Can you show me the cutscene so I... know what you're talking about?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Sign in to follow this