NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
Glen-i

Sean Connery dies aged 90

One of cinema's icons has passed away.

BBC article here.

I'm not a huge movie buff, but you'd have to be a real recluse to not have heard of him.

Obviously, he's most known for playing Bond, but me, I'm weird, and know Sean Connery best as Draco from Dragonheart, one of my all time favourite childhood films, I even nickname my Charizard after that character to this day.

dragonheart.jpg

It's what happens when you get the Jurassic Park guys to turn Sean Connery into a talking dragon, and it's just as awesome as it sounds.

RIP, you wonderful actor.

(Defo share your favourite Sean Connery films here)

Edited by Glen-i
  • Sad 1

Gonma be watching an old classic(a debut of Walken too) from 1971. Caught it randomly one weekend eve on TV back in the more terrestrial days - ome of the early films to focus on mass routine surveillance - and how it has to all be considered in a crook's big heist. Recommend it to folks here as a tribute watch!! Stellar ensemble cast too.

Oh damn. While I don't have particular nostalgia for any one specific film (even though he's been in 007, Indiana Jones, Red October, and a slew of others), he was definitely an icon, and I always enjoyed his mannerisms.

A Portuguese news article I just opened says: "Sean Connery played James Bond and 'survived', that is, he never became overly associated with one character or shoehorned into any archetype. He was grander than that". Yeah, that's a good way of putting it.

Rest in Peace

• Like 2

I can remember watching Sean Connery in all of the James Bond films he acted in, the Highlander films, Indiana Jones and the Last crusade, and Dragonheart.

Each of those films, watchable and enjoyable, mainly because of his presence in them.

It has been a while since I watched any of these, now might be a good time to rewatch Highlander and Highlander II: The Quickening.

He always came across as being  a nice guy, and I think his retirement in 2003* was respectable, he could have acted in so many more films is he had chosen to do so, but he had become disappointed with what a lot of films had become, even then... indeed, he only came out of retirement to voice the videogame version of From Russia with Love in 2005 because that was his favourite of the Bond films, and because his grandchildren loved playing videogames at the time.

*technically, his last film is Sir Billi (2012) as he produced voicework for it...

Sad news indeed.

Rest in Peace, Sean Connery.

Yeah, this is really sad news. He's an icon and seems to be universally liked/loved. It's a shame. On the plus side, 90 years old is a fantastic run and he'll be remembered fondly. Still, it's always sad to see a legend go.

R.I.P. 

Heard this earlier. Absolute legend. And one of the few actors with such a recognisable voice. Loved Dragonheart too and yeah that voice coming from a dragon was something else. 
RIP

Sign in to follow this