NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
drahkon

Destruction AllStars (PS5, February 2021 as part of PS+)

@Julius Must've forgotten about this one. :p

Dominate the glittering global phenomenon of Destruction AllStars – the spectacular prime-time sport for dangerous drivers!

Master the art of intense vehicle-based combat through timing, tactics and skills to cause colossal amounts of damage, destruction and devastation in vibrant arenas across the globe.

Looks like Rocket League but instead of shooting a ball into a goal you murder people.

I'm interested, but I definitely need to see more.

4 minutes ago, drahkon said:

@Julius Must've forgotten about this one. :p

Nah, it was a conscious choice :p 

I was actually on a Skype call with some friends from work for the start of the event and we play Rocket League every Friday, this seems like it might be worth trying out.

Not sure if it's just the art style, but I feel like it could easily end up being announced as Free-to-Play? 

2 minutes ago, Julius said:

Nah, it was a conscious choice :p 

I knew you'd say that :D

2 minutes ago, Julius said:

Not sure if it's just the art style, but I feel like it could easily end up being announced as Free-to-Play? 

It's the presentation. Weird looks, weirdly behaving characters, weird weird weirdness just for the sake of being weird. Anything other than this being a F2P game would surprise me.

Aside from its presentation, though, it does look interesting and fun.

Edited by drahkon

I quite like the look of it, felt like the combination of Rocket League and Destruction Derby.

The reaction when the trailer was shown, while in the N-E chat...

SCG - "It might do well, if it's free"

Drahkon - "or a budget title"

I think that sums it up, remember when Rocket League was a PS Plus game quite early on? Do the same with this, or keep it cheap and you'll probably get people playing it.

For me though, I only recently played Rocket League for the first time and while I like that to a point, this doesn't have the same appeal, but it might to quite a large audience, in time.

• Haha 2

Potential box art and description from Amazon:

91rNTNJPICL.png

The roar of the crowd… the growl of the engines… the crunch of metal… stars and cars collide in the global phenomenon Destruction AllStars. Master mayhem as you pile on the damage from behind the wheel or on foot with jaw-dropping parkour, signature vehicles and exceptional abilities.

BECOME AN ALLSTAR - Heroes… icons… global sensations - sixteen fearless, charismatic AllStars make up the roster of international competitors vying for the Global Destruction Federation Championship. These competitors are pay-per-view and pay-per-wreck quality. Main eventers and headliners. Known across the world. Utilize each Allstar’s abilities to tailor your tactics and play style – exploit their agility, speed or strength to wreck and evade rivals with powerful skills and parkour, switch between vehicles or leap onto speeding cars in heartstopping takeover attempts.

DRIVE DESTRUCTION - Pile-on the destruction from behind the wheel or leap into the arena with a breath-taking reel of parkour action by dodging attacks, taking over vehicles or using abilities to disrupt the onslaught of incoming vehicles. Cause enough mayhem to power up your Destruction AllStar’s game-changing hero vehicle fuelled with special abilities.

MASTER THE MAYHEM - The AllStars roster is packed with fearless daredevils who fought to get to the pinnacle of their sport through masterful skills, precise timing and cunning tactics. Each competition features specific objectives and targets you need to hit as you direct and tailor the force, impact, speed and power of your destruction.

50383822476_93da479b4d_k.jpg

We’ve decided to move the game’s release from November 2020 to February 2021, where it will be included for two months in PlayStation Plus at no additional cost. 

Destruction AllStars is a multiplayer game that’s at its best when you’re competing with gamers online from all around the world. We want as many people as possible to experience the mayhem on PS5, and what better way to do that than to provide the game to our PlayStation Plus members?

Good decision. There's no real hype around it, it would've launched alongside games that will most likely steal the show and putting it on PS+ will save the game. If it's a good one :p

Can't wait :peace:

And now we finally have a thread. @Julius was too lazy to make one a few weeks ago. SHAME!

Edit: Wanna know the name of someone who looks like a fool now? Here it is: drahkon
I already made a thread back in June.

Here it is

Mods/admins, feel free to delete whichever you want. And feel free to ban me from the internet.

@Julius Sorry for calling you out for something that...well...I actually did. :laughing:
But I still wanna shout SHAME at you, so: SHAME.

Edited by drahkon
  • Haha 1

First look at game modes:

Following last week’s news, we wanted to share more with you about the game itself, so let’s talk about what you can expect when you download your copy from PlayStation Plus in February* next year with a breakdown of the game modes you can play solo, in a team with AI, or friends and rivals in online multiplayer.

Mayhem
Mayhem plays like a classic deathmatch. Playable in scrolo and teams, deal damage and wreck as many opponents as you can in the time limit. The player with the highest score wins. It sounds familiar, but can you control the chaos by mastering the balance between vehicle and character action.

Carnado
Take what you learn in Mayhem and put it all on the line in Carnado. Playable in both solo and teams, it’s focused around risk and reward. Earn Gears (AllStars’ collectable in-game items) for damaging or wrecking competitors, which are automatically stored in your vehicle. Sacrifice your vehicle by driving into the Carnado to score points. Back on-foot, get a new vehicle or steal one from your opponents for a quick points boost. The more you wreck, the more Gears you earn.

Stockpile
Stockpile is our take on capture and control. In this team based mode, wrecking or knocking out opponents will cause Gears to drop to the floor. Go on foot to collect the Gears and run through a gauntlet of vehicles to one of the three banks around the map. Stand on a bank to deposit Gears, and claim it for your team. This is a battle for bank ownership; the team with the most banks at the end of the game wins.

Gridfall
16 AllStars enter the arena, but only one will emerge victorious. In Gridfall, it’s about using all your skills to stay in the game as the arena falls away from beneath your wheels. Wreck your opponents off the edge of the map or find temporary safety in the platforms above. As players get wrecked or knocked out, they’ll trade a respawn to get back in the game. If you run out of respawns, you’re eliminated! The winner is the last AllStar standing.

Training
Visit the Training area, complete the tutorial and practice with any of our 16 AllStars.

Challenge Series
Play Genesis’ “One Small Step” challenge Series and unlock exclusive Character and Player Cosmetics through a curated series of challenging events against the AI.

Rewards
Access an expanding wardrobe of cosmetics for AllStars and your player profile. Unlock items when playing the Challenge Series and level up in Multiplayer to earn AllStar Coins that you’re free to spend on the items you want.

• Like 2

Watching now :D

Edit: Looks like a lot of fun :peace:

Edited by drahkon
  • Like 3

It's out :D

Still downloading/installing but I was able to play the tutorial (with no music...guess that wasn't fully downloaded, yet).

So far, so good.

Movement is fluid and the gameplay mechanics work a treat.
The game's beautiful, sound design is great, haptics and triggers feel good.

Can't wait to give this a proper go once the download is finished. :peace:

Edit: Played the first match of the "story mode", i.e. the first match of the only Challenge Series character that's available for free. It was a lot of fun. Still no music during the match, though. That's a little weird.

Not a fan of how the Challenge Series is handled. Having to pay for each of the characters' series would be ok, if it wasn't a full-price game. Yes, it's free for PS+ subscribers, but newcomers will have to pay for the game and for the single player portion.
I'm not sure if I'm going to pay for even a single new Challenge Series, to be honest.

Anyways...wanted to give the multiplayer a go, but it doesn't seem to work. Matchmaking gets stuck once a lobby is full...Oh well, gonna try again tomorrow.

Edited by drahkon

This is so much fun!  I've had a right laugh playing this.  Well worth a download especially if you have friends to join you in team games.

• Like 1

Tried a few matches on this yesterday, got a win on my second match with a last second hero power up that got me to the top of the leaderboard by 1 point but even with that win, I'm just not feeling it.

Its missing that oomph, that bite to keep me drawn in. The car handling isn't as tight as I'd want it and the collisions don't feel like they carry any weight to them. I'm not expecting Wreckfest levels here but something with a bit more crunch when I get swiped into or when I'm in a head on collision. The out of car antics I can take or leave them. They're a nice touch but I'm not enamoured by them.

Obviously not going to drop the game out of the gate but initial impressions from me are that its a bit meh ::shrug: I'll put some more time in over the coming days but I doubt my mind will be changed on how it plays.

Oh and whoever at Lucid had the great idea to put voice chat through the Dualsense speaker and not include an in game option to turn that off needs slapped. Yes, you can mute voice chat in the Activity Card window but it should be a setting in game.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

This game would have been OBLITERATED if it had released at £70, as it was planned to. Easiest move ever to slap a free sticker on it.

Edited by Ronnie
  • Like 1

33 minutes ago, Ronnie said:

This game would have been OBLITERATED if it had released at £70, as it was planned to. Smartest move ever to slap a free sticker on it.

I haven't had the chance yet, but yeah, that's certainly the impression I get.Going from a £70 game at launch to getting delayed to be a PS+ tie-in just a few months later really drained the little interest I had in it. Really doesn't instill you with much confidence. 

Still, it's free (well, you get what I mean), so I might hop on for a couple hours just to see for myself. Have you had the chance to give it a spin yet? 

6 minutes ago, Julius said:

I haven't had the chance yet, but yeah, that's certainly the impression I get.Going from a £70 game at launch to getting delayed to be a PS+ tie-in just a few months later really drained the little interest I had in it. Really doesn't instill you with much confidence. 

Still, it's free (well, you get what I mean), so I might hop on for a couple hours just to see for myself. Have you had the chance to give it a spin yet? 

Played it for half an hour, that was enough. It was ok for a freebie/PSN game, but one of those games where I feel they spent so long on the concept and the production, and then left "finding the fun" until last, if that makes sense?

PS Plus in general is a funny one to me though.. on the one hand, Sony absolutely don't have to do anything more than they are, but on the other, I look Destruction All Stars, Control and Concrete Genie for £7/month.... or literally 300+ games for £8/month on Game Pass. The maths just don't really make sense to me. I get that now on PS5 you have access to all the big hitters from the PS4, but surely if you're a PS fan you've already played most of those.

Anyway, don't mean to go off topic, just something that struck me while everyone was saying how amazing this month was. But like I said, Sony don't need to make it better, they've got tons of people subscribing as is.

Played it for half an hour, that was enough. It was ok for a freebie/PSN game, but one of those games where I feel they spent so long on the concept and the production, and then left "finding the fun" until last, if that makes sense? PS Plus in general is a funny one to me though.. on the one hand, Sony absolutely don't have to do anything more than they are, but on the other, I look Destruction All Stars, Control and Concrete Genie for £7/month.... or literally 300+ games for £8/month on Game Pass. The maths just don't really make sense to me. I get that now on PS5 you have access to all the big hitters from the PS4, but surely if you're a PS fan you've already played most of those.Anyway, don't mean to go off topic, just something that struck me while everyone was saying how amazing this month was. But like I said, Sony don't need to make it better, they've got tons of people subscribing as is.

The maths makes sense when you think about it - Game Pass is a relatively new thing they are still pushing hard with £1 promotions to increase their subscriber base. We have seen recently that Microsoft plan to increase their prices once uptake is sufficient and the backlash not too severe. 

Sony don't need to give away games at a loss so don't, neither do Nintendo. They have got the games people want and that's all they really need.

30 minutes ago, Sheikah said:

Sony don't need to give away games at a loss so don't, neither do Nintendo. They have got the games people want and that's all they really need.

I said as much in my post, I realise that Sony and Nintendo probably don't need to try and compete with Game Pass, my point was it's hard to get so impressed by PS Plus and 3 'free' games, when Game Pass offers 300+. Just a random thought really. If Xbox starts to outsell PS5 this gen then maybe they'll make PS Plus a more attractive proposition, but until they, why would they I guess.

Quite disappointed by this. It’s a great concept but it’s just missing something to make it an enjoyable game to play.

3 hours ago, Ronnie said:

Played it for half an hour, that was enough. It was ok for a freebie/PSN game, but one of those games where I feel they spent so long on the concept and the production, and then left "finding the fun" until last, if that makes sense?

Totally makes sense and I agree. The focus should have been the other way around.

I guess they were going for the Fall Guys model of success with this but it just doesn’t have the right ingredients to make it work IMO. Might give it a few more goes but can’t say I’m super excited to get back into it.

• Like 1

Needed a game to accompany through my Persona 5 journey and decided to give this one a proper go.
Don't think much has changed from launch.

I had an incredible time. Been playing a few matches every night for a week now and it's fun in short bursts. Sadly, there's not a lot of different modes so after an hour or two I decide to move on. Still, it's nice to boot it up and just go haywire on other players :D 

Was a bit afraid that matchmaking would take too long given that some people on the internet say the game is "dead", but I never had to wait for more than 10-15 seconds ::shrug: 

Will be interesting to see what's in store for the game. There's a season pass coming, a new character and ranked mode. 
I hope we'll eventually see a racing mode (or even full game) coming from this. The driving is very smooth and arcade-y, it would work so well.

Sign in to follow this