NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
Julius

Fire Emblem: Shadow Dragon & The Blade of Light (4th December 2020)

Out of nowhere – and only available for a limited time!

30 years ago, the first Fire Emblem title introduced beloved characters like Marth, and the series’ signature strategic gameplay. For the first time outside of Japan, Fire Emblem: Shadow Dragon & the Blade of Light comes to Nintendo Switch, fully localized! Available 12/4.

Also, a Fire Emblem 30th Anniversary Edition will be available too (while stock lasts). 

Edited by Julius
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Argh! You beat me to it!

I guess this is the Earthbound Beginnings of the Switch era.

Did not expect to see that today. That's a nice collector's edition as well.

4 minutes ago, Glen-i said:

Argh! You beat me to it!

Except they didn't have the ROM already localised they were just sitting on, so they actually went out of their way to do it.

Just seen that the game will be $5.99 on the US eShop, so expecting £4.99/£5.99 here in the UK? 

7 minutes ago, Glen-i said:

Argh! You beat me to it!

:p

Seeing Nintendo be open to releasing things like this by themselves directly to the eShop I feel does revitalise a little bit of hope for an eventual Mother 3 port (I just want to play it for the soundtrack!), it does feel like a strange choice, so for me at least, I have to think they're testing the waters for something a little bigger down the road? 

Not into Fire Emblem myself, but that's a really cool looking Collector's Edition!

Just now, Ronnie said:

Not into Fire Emblem myself, but that's a really cool looking Collector's Edition!

Yeah, it looks really nice! 

Think I'll be in for the digital version, I've been meaning to play another Fire Emblem since I played Awakening a couple of years ago, and it's such a low price that I don't mind keeping it in the back of my mind until I next need to scratch that strategy itch. The CE looks awesome, but really don't want to get in the way of someone else who would appreciate it much more than me getting their hands on it instead!

I guess this limited run thing is here to say, which is...a little bit concerning, what with the Zelda 35th Anniversary next year (even more so considering they could put out two separate collections just for the 3D games). Heck, honestly wouldn't be all that surprised at this point if a Prime Trilogy on Switch would only be available for a limited time too. 

2 minutes ago, Ike said:

Nintendo UK tweeted about the game, but not the Collector's Edition.  :shakehead

Not at the end of the Nintendo UK trailer like it is for the US trailer, either :sad:

That sucks. 

OMG OMG OMG!!!! FINALLY!!!!!!

I’ve been asking for this for years!!!! At long last!!! :bouncy:

Now do the rest Nintendo! Give us all of the missing FE games in English at last!!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, drahkon said:

Oh bullshit.

By this point, if you're surprised that a Nintendo anniversary themed game is limited time only, that's on you.

It's been a thing since well before the Switch.

36 minutes ago, Julius said:

Seeing Nintendo be open to releasing things like this by themselves directly to the eShop I feel does revitalise a little bit of hope for an eventual Mother 3 port (I just want to play it for the soundtrack!), it does feel like a strange choice, so for me at least, I have to think they're testing the waters for something a little bigger down the road? 

Don't fall down the "Mother 3 English release" rabbit hole. Only sadness lies there.

It happened with Earthbound Beginnings. Don't let Fire Emblem reignite that fire.

@Ike, it's certainly more effort, but there's no denying the similarities of "Old, unreleased NES game gets an English release" between the two.

Edited by Glen-i
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Interesting. A couple of other 30th anniversaries coming up, I wonder if they'll pass without any fanfare.

7 minutes ago, Glen-i said:

By this point, if you're surprised that a Nintendo anniversary themed game is limited time only, that's on you.

It's been a thing since well before the Switch.

Not at all surprised.

And it being a thing before doesn't make it any less shitty.

4 minutes ago, drahkon said:

Not at all surprised.

And it being a thing before doesn't make it any less shitty.

No dispute there.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, Glen-i said:

@Ike, it's certainly more effort, but there's no denying the similarities of "Old, unreleased NES game gets an English release" between the two.

Oh for sure, but I always kinda figured the only reason Nintendo released Earthbound Zero was because they already had it ready to go, they just needed to slap a new title screen on it.

content-4-36366-fireemblemshadowdragonandthebladeoflightbanner.jpg

Fire Emblem: Shadow Dragon & the Blade of Light is coming to the Nintendo Switch

All up on the main page. :D

Full press release, and video embed.

- - - - -

This is great news, the original Fire Emblem title, released officially, fully localised, albeit a time-limited release, available digitally on the Nintendo Switch eShop.

The collector's edition looks nice as well, if it's not too expensive, I'd consider picking it up, being that the digital game is around £6, the set shouldn't cost more than £35...

...that probably means it'll be £49.99. :p Anyway, it's still cool, but I'll probably just pick up the digital version to support the release of the game.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Glen-i said:

Argh! You beat me to it!

They’ve done at least one of these first party first time English releases for each console/handheld ever since the Wii now...

Wii: Sin & Punishment

3DS: The Mysterious Murasame Castle

Wii U: Earthbound Beginnings

Switch: Fire Emblem: Shadow Dragon & The Blade of Light

I hope we don’t have to wait a whole generation for the next Classic FE localisation now!

• Thanks 1

Wasn't expecting this at all.  I guess they chose this over the DS remake because it'd be awkward to release that version on the Switch with it's screen/button setup.

Hate to say this but I really wish they'd done a 3D All Stars on this and released this Famicom port with Fire Emblem: Path of Radiance from the GameCube.  The cost to pick that game up is through the roof!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, MindFreak said:

The digital version is not time limited, is it? 

Unfortunately it is. 

Ek8EorFVMAINVXp?format=png&name=large

It looks like it's set to be delisted on 31st March 2021, the same date as 3D All-Stars and (currently) Mario 35 :sad:

• Thanks 1

Wow. That is particularly sneaky. At least with the Mario games, it was stated clearly upon reveal.

To be honest, I'm actually pretty excited for this. I couldn't stand Shadow Dragon's art style (and I never found a copy, anyway), and my main gripe behind the NES games is how slow they feel. This version allows us to play with modern QoL features like fastforwarding, and more importantly, a functioning official English translation! Heck yeah, I'm finally playing the first game to the end!

Plus the mere thought of getting one of the older games translated is bizarre and otherworldly in all the best ways (and this announcement came so close to my birthday, I'm kind of seeing it as a surprise gift :heart:)

What I'd also like to see at some point is FE3. That's the mega-popular one in Japan, and we never got the remake. I know the fandom waxes this and that over the Jugdral games, but Mystery of the Emblem is the one I'm most curious about.

• Thanks 2

Just started playing it! I bloody love it! :D 

It's so incredibly surreal to finally be playing it in English! After numerous failed attempts to fumble through the Japanese version before, it's so great to finally be able to play it in English! :D

It's still a ton of fun! Early Installment Weirdness up the wazoo! (Who needs to see what damage you're gonna actually do to your enemy anyway!? Oh? Marth can just casually move 7 spaces? Cool! 80% hit chance means that you're never hitting anything ever? Awesome!) I'm onto chapter 3 now and I'm really enjoying it! So nice to be able to play a proper, old school style Fire Emblem again! :D 

Really cool hearing the really adorable original NES renditions of classic tunes as well!

Edited by Dcubed
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

After Three Houses, it's kind of refreshing to "only" decide where my units move to. Sure,not knowing weapon stats might come to bite me later (how strong is the Javelin? How heavy is the Steel Bow? Which ranks do I need for each weapon? ::shrug: Id'no), but these unknown factors can be their own brand of exciting.

Took it for a quick whirl earlier today and... I like how non-commital it feels. Like I can chill and play this at a very casual pace, and I think I will. I might even take this trouserless Marth to a blind Iron Man run, the game was designed that way, after all.

• Thanks 2

Sign in to follow this