Glen-i

Kingdom Hearts: Melody of Memory (Switch, PS4, XBOne)

The demo for this came out yesterday. It's basically the next Theatrhythm game (Done by indieszero, who did the other Theatrhythm games) and it's looking very promising.

Includes a local co-op mode, online 2 player VS battles and an 8-player mode exclusively for the Switch version (Local Wireless only). Oh, and because it's Kingdom Hearts, you just know that there's going to be some kind of plot to tie it up with all the other games.

Theatrhythm Curtain Call was one of the best games on the 3DS, so I'm very much looking forward to this.
It comes out November 13th over here.

Edited by Glen-i
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

@Glen-i I'm just posting my Let's Play of the demo of KH: Melody of Memory.  I loved the Theatrhythm game on the 3DS, but this feels different, in a bad way for me.  The game feels slower, and the jumping mechanic doesn't feel timed, and it's difficult to know when to jump with a good accuracy.  Disappointed.

1 hour ago, Londragon said:

@Glen-i I'm just posting my Let's Play of the demo of KH: Melody of Memory.  I loved the Theatrhythm game on the 3DS, but this feels different, in a bad way for me.  The game feels slower, and the jumping mechanic doesn't feel timed, and it's difficult to know when to jump with a good accuracy.  Disappointed.

I'm not sure where you're getting that impression, because the jumps are definitely timed to the beat. Jump attacks are always done to the rhythm of the song. You can see what I mean at the end of this post I did.

(Ignore the sloppy opening)

It's a bit visually cluttered at times, granted, but after a while I started to get an idea of when to jump. It's the old "Rhythm Heaven" addage that ignoring the visuals will keep you focused. Simply put, you jump 1 beat before you attack.

Then again, maybe you're having issues with visual lag? If you find yourself constantly being too early or late, it might be worth going to the settings and fiddling with the BGM Timing option.

(Wait, you went straight from Beginner to Proud Difficulty? That was... Brave.)

Edited by Glen-i
  • Like 1

I'm not sure where you're getting that impression, because the jumps are definitely timed to the beat. Jump attacks are always done to the rhythm of the song.

It's a bit visually cluttered at times, granted, but after a while I started to get an idea of when to jump. It's the old "Rhythm Heaven" addage that ignoring the visuals will keep you focused. Simply put, you jump 1 beat before you attack.

(Wait, you went straight from Beginner to Proud Difficulty? That was... Brave.)

Yeah, I was using visual cues, and the jump bar is/doesn’t feel like it’s in the right place. For me, the jump bar looks like it’s a whole beat after when it should be, and by that time I should be swinging in mid-air. You basically have to jump over the bar and not jump when you reach it. I find that incredibly off-putting, when he attack is co-ordinated with an ever decreasing circle to time the attack, I found it odd that they didn’t provide an additional timing cue when to jump. It’s even more evident that the shadow of the jump bar is under it, and that feels like the time to jump when you reach the shadow, ie the base of it, but it’s not, I just can’t get around it, and jump a beat too late.

It is cluttered, but I suppose with extra play time your eyes adjust where to look. It feels, at first anyway, like there’s too much going on, and the superfluous enemies that die to a ‘crystal shard’ x button attack, just clutter even further.

Proud difficulty did in fact own me,

3 hours ago, Londragon said:

Yeah, I was using visual cues, and the jump bar is/doesn’t feel like it’s in the right place. For me, the jump bar looks like it’s a whole beat after when it should be, and by that time I should be swinging in mid-air. You basically have to jump over the bar and not jump when you reach it. I find that incredibly off-putting, when he attack is co-ordinated with an ever decreasing circle to time the attack, I found it odd that they didn’t provide an additional timing cue when to jump. It’s even more evident that the shadow of the jump bar is under it, and that feels like the time to jump when you reach the shadow, ie the base of it, but it’s not, I just can’t get around it, and jump a beat too late.

It is cluttered, but I suppose with extra play time your eyes adjust where to look. It feels, at first anyway, like there’s too much going on, and the superfluous enemies that die to a ‘crystal shard’ x button attack, just clutter even further.

Proud difficulty did in fact own me, emoji23.png

It's worth noting that when it comes to jumps, you don't need to be spot on with the actual jump. As long as it's good enough to get over enemy attacks, or to put yourself in the air to hit an enemy, you'll get an excellent for it. The arrow symbol is basically how you know there's a jump coming, but try to get more into the rhythm for when you should press it.

I do agree with you about the crystal attacks though. Having jump on 'B' while the Crystal attack is on 'X' is a bit awkward. I hear that the PlayStation version actually has a better button layout in that regard, (Circle = Jump, Triangle = Crystal) which is a tad annoying.

Wave of Darkness on Proud is totally kicking me around, so don't feel bad. I'm sure the full game will let you build your team up to last longer on the higher difficulties. It's what I like about Theatrthythm.

Anyway, seeing as you normally have a kid to mess around with, have you tried the co-op yet? There's 2 extra songs there.

Edited by Glen-i
  • Like 1

Anyway, seeing as you normally have a kid to mess around with, have you tried the co-op yet? There's 2 extra songs there.

I haven’t tried co-op yet, but will try to get around to it this weekend. If I can prise him off of Borderlands and Armello that is.