NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
Happenstance

Streets of Kamurocho (PC, 17th October)

Publisher Sega and developer Empty Clip Studios will release Streets of Kamurocho, a mashup of Streets of Rage 2 and the Yakuza series, for PC via Steam on October 17 as part of Sega’s 60th anniversary. It will only be available until October 19 at 10:00 a.m. PT / 2:00 p.m. ET.

Here is an overview of the game, via its Steam page:

In celebration of Sega’s 60th Anniversary, Sega mashed Streets of Rage 2 with the ever-popular Ryu Ga Gotoku Studio’s Yakuza series, and Streets of Kamurocho was born.

The death of the Tojo Clan’s Third Chairman has plunged the organization into chaos. The violence spreads to the streets, and only Kazuma Kiryu and Goro Majima can put an end to the bloodshed!

https://www.gematsu.com/2020/10/streets-of-kamurocho-a-mashup-of-streets-of-rage-2-and-yakuza-coming-to-pc-on-october-17-for-a-limited-time

• Thanks 2

Urgh, 2D gameplay and limited availability. This is the worst.

I believe limited availability is only referring to the download, so once installed you can play it indefinitely. Hope so, anyway. 

But yeah, such a great idea for a mash-up, can’t wait to play it! :D 

Looks really cool, definitely going to pick up this and the other games they’re doing over the next few days.

• Like 1

There's also a Golden Axe prototype, here is what one of the developers have to say about it

(Click through for the full story)

• Thanks 1

40 minutes ago, Cube said:

There's also a Golden Axe prototype, here is what one of the developers have to say about it

It’s really interesting that this has popped up, haven’t thought about it in years. 

I was working on the publishing side of things when this came through and part of the team that reviewed it at SEGA. We were really quite excited by it and it was a real disappointment when it didn’t go any further than this prototype. I remember the first time we saw it and all being really impressed considering the amount of time there had been to work on it and the general quality level they got to so quickly. It was unfortunate that it came at just the wrong moment in SEGA’s multiple restructures that the team who had the power to do something with it were moved on to new projects and it just kind of faded away, most sadly with the same fate for the Australian studio.

Looking forward to having another go on it.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

I just got this, read the reviews, it's one stage from Streets of Rage II, I don't know why I thought it would be the full game.

With that said, the level of sprite work still looks pretty good from the video, and it is free.

Every character in it plays like Axel, apparently, the music loops and it takes 20 minutes to complete, but this is still a cool free game. :D

Though, I'm now more excited to check out Golden Axed tomorrow, Strets of Kamurocho should be available for the next... seven hours or so, get it while you can.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, S.C.G said:

I just got this, read the reviews, it's one stage from Streets of Rage II, I don't know why I thought it would be the full game.

With that said, the level of sprite work still looks pretty good from the video, and it is free.

Every character in it plays like Axel, apparently, the music loops and it takes 20 minutes to complete, but this is still a cool free game. :D

Though, I'm now more excited to check out Golden Axed tomorrow, Strets of Kamurocho should be available for the next... seven hours or so, get it while you can.

Yeah, I really wish it was a full game but it’s just the 1 level on a loop with increasing difficulty. I played through it 3 times and unlocked the extra character. :hehe:  

I tell you what though, with mainline Yakuza shifting to turn-based combat, I’d actually love a full Yakuza beat-em-up in this style of gameplay, either with retro visuals or 3D characters and environments from the existing games. Imagine a side-scrolling game running on the dragon engine! :o 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, RedShell said:

I’d actually love a full Yakuza beat-em-up in this style of gameplay

Add a couple of rounds of Richi Mahjong and I'm in :D

• Haha 1

Just played Streets of Kamurocho for the first time, I got through three rounds, unlocked the extra character, it was pretty fun. :D

I like the detail which has been put into it, some decent sprites, and some cool touches, like the automatic doors opening and closing depending on where you are on the stage. :)

The fact that it's one stage, which loops, makes it a nice Time Attack style game, leaderboards will keep players coming back for a few goes I reckon.

Golden Axed is now available too by the way, I'll probably check that out in a bit. :peace:

• Like 1

Sign in to follow this