NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
drahkon

Among Us (PC, Mobile)

6ZlfCk.png

Well...this game somehow took the internet by storm. I came across those weird little space thingies via a meme. Looked it up and found out that they're from a game called Among Us. What is it? Pretty much a Mafia video game (not the game that got remade recently :p).

It's been on PC and mobile for 2 years but exploded (out of nowhere) in the past few days.

Devs reacted to it:

Hey everyone, PuffballsUnited here! It’s been a very exciting time for us the past few months! We’ve absolutely loved seeing everyone enjoying Among Us! Forte has been working hard to get the servers adjusted to deal with the huge influx of players. Thank you so much for bearing with us through these growing pains. Hopefully we can get started on new content soon! Speaking of new content…

Us devs have had several long discussions about what we want to do with the game. When do we stop working on Among Us 1? What content goes into Among Us 2? The main reason we are shooting for a sequel is because the codebase of Among Us 1 is so outdated and not built to support adding so much new content. However, seeing how many people are enjoying Among Us 1 really makes us want to be able to support the game and take it to the next level. We have decided to cancel Among Us 2 and instead put all our focus into improving Among Us 1. All of the content we had planned for Among Us 2 will instead go into Among Us 1. This is probably the more difficult choice because it means going deep into the core code of the game and reworking several parts of it. We have lots of things planned and we’re excited to bring new content to everyone as you continue to enjoy playing!

Here’s some things that are coming on the horizon:

• Servers. Forte is still working very hard to figure out our server issues. We don’t have an ETA but things should hopefully be getting better and better. This is taking up all development time on his end.
  • Colorblind support. It’s something we’ve put off for way too long… We plan on adding other identifiers for players as well as certain color focused tasks (Like wires). This should also  the potential for more colors. In the past we couldn’t add more colors because it became too difficult to tell players apart.
  • Friends/Account System. This is something we’ve wanted to do for a long time but just haven’t been able to tackle. For the health of the game going forward we’re going to sink our teeth in and figure it out! This one will definitely take some time.
  • A new stage! It is still very early and we have only just begun designing the layout. The theme has been settled on though! The next stage in Among Us is going to be a Henry Stickmin themed location!

We have LOTS of other things planned too, we just need to prioritize and organize all our plans. Stay tuned!

I've played it a few times on my phone with randos and it was a little hit or miss. Sometimes people left during the first discussion, sometimes people just grief, but when everyone actually plays the game like you're supposed to...it's a blast.
I'm considering spending cash to buy the ad-free version.

Anybody else gave it a go?

• Like 1

What's funny is that it's been steadily ratcheting up, I remember hearing weeks back that the game was on the verge of blowing up, and the month before that too.

Very interesting to think about, I think there was a particular streamer a little while back who was a big reason for it blowing up the way it has (for some reason I checked out the subreddit when I first heard about it and even then they were talking about it only being a matter of time!). I remember hearing on a podcast too about them needing to take servers down for a bit to do some work, so it's great to see it paying off. 

And fair play to them for cancelling the sequel given this is blowing up and just deciding to provide new content to this instead, can't imagine that was an easy decision to make. Hopefully those ideas are reworked well enough into the existing game. 

I've checked it out a few times over the last couple of weeks, playing on my phone with my brother and sister when my brother comes over to visit, and then the internet strangers. It's been a lot of fun, a lot of laughs! Not the most complicated of games to get your head around, which is great, because how many of those complicated games ever actually end up being fun? 

Highlight of my time playing so far was definitely the crew being right about one internet stranger being the impostor to finish one game, and them returning in the next game, and I followed my gut, making me call a meeting and telling everyone else that they were the impostor again and to vote for him.

And I was right :laughing:

4 minutes ago, Julius said:

What's funny is that it's been steadily ratcheting up, I remember hearing weeks back that the game was on the verge of blowing up, and the month before that too.

Interesting. Didn't know that.

5 minutes ago, Julius said:

Not the most complicated of games to get your head around, which is great

Indeed. It's similar to Fall Guys. Very easy to learn.

6 minutes ago, Julius said:

Highlight of my time playing so far was definitely the crew being right about one internet stranger being the impostor to finish one game, and them returning in the next game, and I followed my gut, making me call a meeting and telling everyone else that they were the impostor again and to vote for him.

And I was right :laughing:

Pff, you got lucky :p

I love social deduction games (Mafia, Battlestar Galactica, Avalon, Dark Moon, Two Room and a Boom, Warewords and a bunch of others). Unfortunately this looks like it requires a lot of identification based on colour, so I wouldn't be able to play the game properly.

• Sad 1

15 minutes ago, drahkon said:

I literally quoted the text in that link in the opening post.

Or did you...

**moves fingers in an evil way** Well, you did, I just wanted to make you second guess yourself for a milisecond

6 minutes ago, Cube said:

Well, you did, I just wanted to make you second guess yourself for a milisecond

Jokes on you, I second guess myself all the time.

:( 

Was going to make a post on this. Desperate to play it, but no one to play with. Would anyone ever be up for an N-E game?

• Like 1

We should definitely have some N-E games, it’s not really the same playing with a bunch of strangers. I’m totally up for it!

1 hour ago, LazyBoy said:

Was going to make a post on this. Desperate to play it, but no one to play with. Would anyone ever be up for an N-E game?

Saw your post in le mafia thread and got it downloaded on my phone. Up for it if/when we get a decent crew?

Who's in?? When??

1 hour ago, LazyBoy said:

Tuesday evening?

Should be good for me! We all on same timezones?

90% of 9gag is Among Us memes nowadays, so I might as well give it a go! You guys still playing tomorrow? What time (I'm in CEST myself)?

I'm going in blind but I've played Mafia and Werewolves before so I think I should be able to manage.

Should be in(tho i have to potentially go to ucc at some point) - spent about 10 hours yesterday trying to hack root and update an old galaxy tab to a customOS that could download this....and it doesnt load :cry:

So I'll be playing from my phone! I tried a couple quick games online the other day but didn't get too into it(most seemed to just fail out rather than play out fully) but seems like its gonna be pretty cool fun. Setting a 7pm alarm to remind me now!

I should be able to make it.

Played it a bit last night with a random lobby, I'm far too slow when it comes to using the built-in text chat using my phone. Voice chat should work much better though.

Ahhh nice wasn't sure if we'd be chatting - havent properly figured out the 'silence' mechanics or when so apologies if I slip later(im totally mafia) but we'll figure it out doubt. Should be quite a laugh hopefully!

I think the answer will be using 'Push to talk' if possible, and only using it on meetings.

Sign in to follow this