NEurope
Glen-i

Monster Hunter Rise

27 minutes ago, Hero-of-Time said:

Yep, that's right, the hit Capcom game Monster Hunter Rise is coming to the Xbox Series X|S, Xbox One, PlayStation 5, PlayStation 4, and PC in 2023 and it will be available on Game Pass.

Huh? I take it they just meant to say that it'll be on GamePass. :blank:

Cool that the game is eventually going to end up everywhere though. Well, it would be... if it had cross-play/save. :indeed:

Just now, RedShell said:

Huh? I take it they just meant to say that it'll be on GamePass. :blank:

Cool that the game is eventually going to end up everywhere though. Well, it would be... if it had cross-play/save. :indeed:

Apparently they put that in there because the PC will be getting the 4K60fps update.

Did it not run at these settings already?

1 minute ago, drahkon said:

Noooooo, this probably means the next MHW is faaaaaaaar away :( 

Maybe not, World is handled by a different dev team.

1 minute ago, Hero-of-Time said:

Apparently they put that in there because the PC will be getting the 4K60fps update.

Did it not run at these settings already?

It does, yeah:

On 13/10/2021 at 6:50 PM, RedShell said:

So I just had a quick go on the demo for the PC version.
While Capcom haven't really done anything much to improve it visually, the natural increase to both resolution and frame rate definitely give the game a different feel.

At 4K/120fps it's as if you're playing it on a Switch emulator. :heh: Having spent so much time with the Switch version at 30fps, the motion seems absolutely ridiculous on PC! :o It's like the game is in fast forward! :laughing: No doubt this is actually how it's supposed to run, but it would definitely take me a while to get used to, if I were to continue playing on PC... but I'm not (because of the lack of cross-save) so it doesn't really matter. :hehe:

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, RedShell said:

It does, yeah:

Then you must be right about it just being about Game Pass on PC.

If I enjoy MH:W but haven't enjoyed any of the older handheld titles...would I like this one?

Just now, drahkon said:

If I enjoy MH:W but haven't enjoyed any of the older handheld titles...would I like this one?

Hard to say. It's a lot easier and shorter than World but the core gameplay is the same. For me, this was certainly a step back from World but it's still enjoyable enough. 

I'm dreading the trophy list. I bet it's just like World's where i'm gonna have to hunt down all of the big and small crowned monsters again.

2 minutes ago, Hero-of-Time said:

For me, this was certainly a step back from World but it's still enjoyable enough. 

So wait for a sale, got it :p 

3 minutes ago, Hero-of-Time said:

I bet it's just like World's where i'm gonna have to hunt down all of the big and small crowned monsters again.

Made me drop the Platinum hunt. Hope it's the same here, just to annoy you :p 

16 minutes ago, drahkon said:

Made me drop the Platinum hunt. 

Quitter. :p 

It was a grind though and there's luck involved as well. I was very relived when I got it. One of my mates was so close to getting it but could never find the last one (large Diablos) that he needed. We usually hunted together and I actually snagged that one while he was stuck at work. :D 

8 minutes ago, Hero-of-Time said:

Quitter. :p 

tumblr_nq112fPV6I1rdutw3o1_400.gif

9 minutes ago, Hero-of-Time said:

I actually snagged that one while he was stuck at work. :D 

Are you still friends? :p 

11 minutes ago, Hero-of-Time said:

To be fair, we haven't spoke in ages. :laughing:

Understandably :p 

On one hand, I haven't played a lot of World, (Because it's kinda boring). But I'm not gonna sit here and have @Hero-of-Time grumpy curmudgeon all over the best Monster Hunter game.

Hey @drahkon. You like World, eh? Do you wish there was less faffing about tracking a monster? Do you pine for way faster methods of locomotion? Or do you just think it would be better if Spiderman was in the game? If the answer is yes. Then Rise is for you!

It features legendary features such as being able to stay in one online room with your friends across multiple hunts! And being able to choose which decorations you actually want!

It's faster paced, with more diverse monsters then 20 different dinosaurs.

He says it's easier, but that's because the player has far more tools to utilise to help survive in that, admittedly, terrifying hunting world.

You're damn right I jumped over that Kushala Daora blast! You know why? Because I'm awesome sauce! And wirebugs helped...

Awwww yeahhh! Flinging myself across the entire arena while dressed up like a dragon in order to do a piddly 37 damage because I main Sword and Shield! You can't do that in World, and that's why it's boring!

Rise is fun, dummy!

Edited by Glen-i
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Glen-i said:

Do you wish there was less faffing about tracking a monster? Do you pine for way faster methods of locomotion? Or do you just think it would be better if Spiderman was in the game? If the answer is yes. Then Rise is for you!

Then Rise isn't for me :p 

42 minutes ago, drahkon said:

Then Rise isn't for me :p 

Wait for the inevitable World 2

44 minutes ago, Glen-i said:

On one hand, I haven't played a lot of World, (Because it's kinda boring). But I'm not gonna sit here and have @Hero-of-Time grumpy curmudgeon all over the best Monster Hunter game.

He says it's easier, but that's because the player has far more tools to utilise to help survive in that, admittedly, terrifying hunting world.

As someone who doesn't faff on with tools and the wire stuff, the game is flat out easier and was shorter than any other MH game. It has nothing to do with the toolset. The fact that you could go through most of the game without upgrading your armour was ridiculous. I mean...

As RedShell said, the game is VERY easy. I’m on 6* Hub missions and I have pretty much been able to steamroll my way through the quests. For all of the LR quests I only changed a single piece of armour from the default set and was absolutely fine throughout. Eating before a mission gave me enough health to offset any need for armour upgrades. Crazy. I’m now on HR quests and I’m only rocking 3 pieces of HR armour and 2 pieces of my default set and I’m still doing fine.

Yeah, not great.

I've played every entry in the series and this was by far the easiest and most disappointing.

23 minutes ago, Hero-of-Time said:

The fact that you could go through most of the game without upgrading your armour was ridiculous.

But isn't upgrading gear what makes MH so cool?
I thought it was one of the best things about MH:W.

24 minutes ago, Hero-of-Time said:

Wait for the inevitable World 2

Will definitely do that :D 

20 minutes ago, drahkon said:

But isn't upgrading gear what makes MH so cool?
I thought it was one of the best things about MH:W.

It is, he's being weird.

Anyway, I've certainly been two shotted a few times in Sunbreak (Basically, the equivalent of Iceborne), even with my incredibly tanky setup. And don't get me started on how many quests I've failed when playing with randoms. Difficulty is fine.

H-o-T's one of those hunters who thinks that if he isn't dying in one hit, the game's too easy.

15 minutes ago, Glen-i said:

It is, he's being weird

That's not what I meant.
I agreed with him that it's ridiculous to be able to run through the game without really upgrading armor...

15 minutes ago, Glen-i said:

H-o-T's one of those hunters who thinks that if he isn't dying in one hit, the game's too easy.

I highly doubt that.

20 minutes ago, drahkon said:

That's not what I meant.
I agreed with him that it's ridiculous to be able to run through the game without really upgrading armor...

Well, I'm playing Sunbreak and monsters can hit real hard. @Mokong can back me up on that.

Very disappointing to hear but Capcom have a trend of doing this. I wonder if they release a complete edition physically when Sunbreak arrives.

• Thanks 1

On 02/12/2022 at 7:23 AM, drahkon said:

Made me drop the Platinum hunt. Hope it's the same here, just to annoy you :p 

Yup, it was.

Took 450 hours and last month I finally managed to nab the platinum and all the trophies for the DLC.

F9qaz6RWgAASpKT?format=jpg&name=large

This was my first time playing through the Sunbreak DLC. I thought it was a decent enough addition but nothing outstanding.

I did enjoy fighting some of the new monsters but a lot of them didn't really offer a challenge. Like the base game, I found it pretty simple to get through all of the quests (although there is a crazy amount if them) and it's only when going for the awards/trophies where the time sink begins.

The size crowns werent that bad. I think a fair few of them can be gained in event quests. Coupled with the fact that Sunbreak actually increases the chances of seeing crown sized monsters, it all went quicker than I thought.

Two of the biggest grinds were trying to gain enough coins for an award and killing 1000 large monsters in the DLC. For this, I ended up ditching my LS and switching to a bowgun. I picked a quest that featured both the crabs in the arena and made very short work of them. Probably knocked the quest out in a minute or so. The stupidly fast loading speeds of the PS5 meant I was in and out of these quests very quickly.

After playing this again on the PS5, my overall thoughts haven't really changed since playing the Switch version. I still think it's the weakest entry in the series, even with the DLC attached.

Capcom sure are taking their time with World 2.... :(

• Like 2

My my, congrats :peace:

I don't think I'll ever get a Platinum for a Monster Hunter game. I'm no stranger to the grind, but...nah :p

13 minutes ago, Hero-of-Time said:

Capcom sure are taking their time with World 2.... :(

Yeah...the first one + Iceborne were incredible!
With the current generation of consoles/PC specs the sequel is going to be ridiculous. Hopefully :D