NEurope
Glen-i

Monster Hunter Rise

So tempted to get the Pro Controller, I have the Xenoblade 2 Pro Controller, but been thinking of getting another. Would be nice to play Rise on a fresh controller

Damn, really not sure if I should get this on Switch or wait for the PC version... :hmm:

Spoiler

Pros for Switch version:

• Out soon :bouncy:
  • Hunting online with the N-E gang :)

Cons for Switch version:

• Worse visuals/performance :woops:
  • Limited online features :rolleyes:
  • Subscription required to play online :shakehead
  • Can't play as a cat :angry:

Pros for PC version:

• Will definitely look/run better :cool:
  • Probably be cheaper :grin:
  • Likely to have improved online features ;)
  • No subscription required for online :D

Cons for PC version:

• Not out soon :zzz:
  • No online hunting with N-E gang :sad:
  • Bet you still can't play as a cat :mad:

Hmm... :blank:

Edited by RedShell

This is no longer exclusive? If it's coming to the PC then... surely it's only a matter of time before it comes to other platforms as well then?

Having said that, this doesn't make that much difference to me, my PC isn't that modern, so that version is out, and I wasn't planning on renewing subscriptions for either PS Plus or Xbox Live, plus I already renewed my Nintendo Switch Online subscription, because it's only £17.99 for the year, and this was my main reason for renewing.

The only decision now is, buy it for the Switch, or not?

I probably will, for the multiplayer, and the fact that it's genuinely the only upcoming game, on any platform, which I have an interest in at the moment.

It’s about time they officially announced the PC version. The thing has been rumoured/leaked for months now. Apparently Nintendo paid to keep the game exclusive to the Switch for around 9 months and at that point it will be released on the PC.

I’ve still no real interest in picking the game up. :( 

Yup.  This was part of the Ransomware leak.  Seems that everything in the Ransomware leak is real.

Has been delayed mind you, was originally supposed to come out 6 months after the Switch version.

1 hour ago, S.C.G said:

This is no longer exclusive? If it's coming to the PC then... surely it's only a matter of time before it comes to other platforms as well then?

Having said that, this doesn't make that much difference to me, my PC isn't that modern, so that version is out, and I wasn't planning on renewing subscriptions for either PS Plus or Xbox Live, plus I already renewed my Nintendo Switch Online subscription, because it's only £17.99 for the year, and this was my main reason for renewing.

The only decision now is, buy it for the Switch, or not?

I probably will, for the multiplayer, and the fact that it's genuinely the only upcoming game, on any platform, which I have an interest in at the moment.

It’s PC & Switch only.  The ransomware leak made no mention of any other platform.

Either way, it doesn’t matter.  Switch is the only platform that can provide local wireless multiplayer, which makes the choice of platform an absolute no brainer for me.

Wonder if cross-play will be a thing (probably not). :blank: Although even if it was, I imagine most people playing on Switch would be finished with the game by the time the PC version arrives. :heh:

It's definitely an annoying situation though as I'm hyped for the game, but I'd much prefer to play it on PC. :hmm: 

I watched these videos this morning. I'm doing my homework on MH RIse so I can be ready to jump in if there's interest here. :D The game is shaping up well!

On 26/02/2021 at 7:34 PM, RedShell said:

It's definitely an annoying situation though as I'm hyped for the game, but I'd much prefer to play it on PC. :hmm: 

Get it on Switch, then get it in a Steam sale (much) later?

Man, PC crossplay would be amazing on this!

Which is why it's not gonna happen.

I bought one of those 2-game voucher things, before realising that MH Rise isn't actually covered by it... Woopsies!

I'm so used to Nintendo having some part in publishing the series that I just took it for granted. It's fine though, I got Bravely Default and 3D World instead.

New trailers (yes, plural!) and details!!

New MHR trailer/deets start from 37:15 onwards

Quick breakdown...

New monsters shown & more old favourites returning.

Hunter Hub is BACK!!! :D (Gone is the MHW online system, in favour of the classic Hunter Hub)

New Hoard battle mode (The Rampage) where you have to defend a village from an onslaught of monsters

Seperate Offline & Online quests are back again (ALA classic Monster Hunter)

Five main areas to explore (all of which are brand new - AKA, the standard for a new generation of Monster Hunter game)

DLC hunter fashion sets

Post release monsters are getting added in over time after launch for free! (First one is Chameleos coming in April)

New MHR demo out on March 11th

Edited by Dcubed
  • Thanks 2

Also, the mud looks really good. Like, delicious.

9 minutes ago, Dcubed said:

Seperate Offline & Online quests are back again (ALA classic Monster Hunter)

Is this a good thing or seen as a step backwards?

Just now, darksnowman said:

Also, the mud looks really good. Like, delicious.

That is a VERY good thing as far as I'm concerned! Much better for game balance!

• Thanks 1

Multiplayer is drop in drop out, no more waiting in a lobby for a 3 man quest to finish, just join in, and then the hunt scales it’s difficulty to accommodate more or less players. Nice.

• Like 1

content-4-36453-monsterhunterdigitaleventmarch2021banner.jpg

Monster Hunter Digital Event March 2021 Roundup

Up on the main page.

N-Europe's roundup of the event, full press release and video embed. :peace:

- - - - -

Another demo for Monster Hunter Rise, nice, will check that out. :smile:

Good to have a release date for Monster Hunter Stories 2, as well.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, darksnowman said:

Correct me if I'm wrong @Hero-of-Time, but was it actually impossible to have a group of 4 start a quest together in MHW because someone had to start a quest before anyone could actually join?

Implementing Hunter Hubs that allow people to jump into a quest that's in progress is effectively the best of both worlds, right?

I need to pre-order this. Now there's confirmation of a separate single player set of quests, I can enjoy MonHun and get all decked out, and then blitz through multiplayer once lockdown ends.

• Thanks 1

I placed my pre-order last week and after yesterday's showcase I can't wait! Not the greatest of presentations with them rehashing all previous info, but the overall picture is looking great. The Rampage looks to be a proper tower defense mode, and it's nice to have a dedicated single player. Free post-game DLC is always welcome, and I hope we will see some free cross-overs with other franchises as well. The worlds look good and it's nice to see a swamp return a la Flooded Forest from MH3. It does look like the regular grass/fire/ice/desert mix so not that inspirational.

Drop-in drop-out online is a gift of the gods, because joining a lobby where people just started on a 40 minute quest is no fun at all. The only downside is that communication will still be a bit flawed without voice chat. I tried using a USB keyboard in the demo and at least that works.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Glen-i said:

Correct me if I'm wrong @Hero-of-Time, but was it actually impossible to have a group of 4 start a quest together in MHW because someone had to start a quest before anyone could actually join?

Implementing Hunter Hubs that allow people to jump into a quest that's in progress is effectively the best of both worlds, right?

I need to pre-order this. Now there's confirmation of a separate single player set of quests, I can enjoy MonHun and get all decked out, and then blitz through multiplayer once lockdown ends.

There is a hub area in MHW where you can see all the other players, set up quests and set off together. Outside of the special monster battles, most people didn't use it though and instead just opted for using the SOS system.

• Thanks 1

Yeah, the SOS Flares in MHW made the hub method of setting up online games pretty much pointless, so it's great to see it return in this version, albeit as the rather less exciting sounding "Join Requests". :heh:

Anyway, I think it's going to be quite impossible for me to resist getting the game on Switch at this point. :shakehead Damn, you Capcom! :laughing:

• Like 1

2 hours ago, RedShell said:

Anyway, I think it's going to be quite impossible for me to resist getting the game on Switch at this point. :shakehead Damn, you Capcom! :laughing:

If it's any comfort, at least you won't miss out on inevitable Nintendo costumes.

Just now, Glen-i said:

If it's any comfort, at least you won't miss out on inevitable Nintendo costumes.

Oh yeah, good point. :)

Being that the release date is two week's away, I've pre-ordered the game now, from an outlet on eBay, for just under £40.

Use the code PICKSAVE15 at the checkout, it still comes with the pre-order bonuses as well.

Not a bad alternative, if you didn't want to order via the Nintendo Store for £50... so it saves you £10, and at that price, it's likely cheaper than other places too.

That code can be used up until 16/03/21 and the outlet (boss deals) seem to have a fair few copies available, at this moment in time.

In the meantime, I could check out that new demo this evening.

• Thanks 1

@S.C.G I think Boss Deals are Simply Games so your game should be in safe hands.

I gave the new demo a quick go this morning. Played with a few random people but have yet to defeat the new beastie. Everyone I played with kept getting carted. :( 

• Thanks 1